Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The right sort 10:39 - Feb 16 with 1778 viewstoboboly

We were told in previous seasons that we were taking into account personalities and behaviours when looking at our recruitment policy. There have historically been too many bad apples, we were told, and too many whom did not want to play for the shirt.

Look at the players we have now. There are some whom would play for the shirt even if they had no legs and one arm, i'm looking at you Jimmy Dunne. But the vast majority seem to not be the "right sorts" that we were constantly told would be a part of the recruitment.

With the stories coming out that players enjoy a night out after a loss more than bothering to play for a new manager I have to wonder how on earth this supposedly fundamental principal of our recruitment has been ignored so badly?

For me it again highlights the soundbites the club likes to put out verses the actions they undertake.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

The right sort on 10:56 - Feb 16 with 1725 viewsdaveB

It doesn't matter how much work you do on this sort of thing you only really find out about if they are the right sort etc when things go wrong and they have to react to difficult times. When you are signing mostly younger players who haven't experienced those kind of things it's pretty much impossible to know how they will react. The ones not reacting well at the moment will struggle to move up the football food ladder in the future
The right sort on 11:01 - Feb 16 with 1704 viewstoboboly

There'll always be ones that you don't know, very true. But there were highlighted issues with Roberts before he came to us from Leeds which spoke of a head down, me me me attitude.

Also in terms of having a fighting spirit rather than what occurs away from the pitch. Dozzell for example, no-one could ever say he was a fighter or a battler when backs are against the wall.

The right sort on 11:12 - Feb 16 with 1656 viewsSuperhoop83

The unravelling of the squad is astounding, even by QPR standards.

I still think back to the singing in the Crown & Sceptre after the Reading game on that heady Friday night in October and wonder how things went so badly, so quickly.

Of course, we clearly weren't the best team in the division in October and Beale has been a major factor in our decline but for me the players, or rather those who are "injured" or who shirk on the pitch, are the main problem.

We definitely do not have enough of the right sort and we need to build a new squad in the summer. Yet again.

Suffering since 1978.

The right sort on 11:25 - Feb 16 with 1590 viewsRangersw12

Unfortunately once you get one or two who shirk then it spreads through the team

It started under Beale at Coventry where players like Clarke-Salter just gave up.
The right sort on 11:35 - Feb 16 with 1562 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The right sort on 11:25 - Feb 16 by Rangersw12

Unfortunately once you get one or two who shirk then it spreads through the team

It started under Beale at Coventry where players like Clarke-Salter just gave up.

I remember that Birmingham match where both him and Roberts couldn't get off the pitch quick enough because it was a cold Friday evening match and they actually had opposition players physically challenging them.
The right sort on 11:38 - Feb 16 with 1557 viewsRs_Holy

Bring back Mel Johnson or Gary Penrice!
The right sort on 11:47 - Feb 16 with 1517 viewsdaveB

The right sort on 11:38 - Feb 16 by Rs_Holy

Isn't Mel Johnson still at QPR? He came back about 6 years ago
The right sort on 11:51 - Feb 16 with 1501 viewsbosh67

The right sort on 11:38 - Feb 16 by Rs_Holy

Penrice allegedly had a few issues here but there is no doubting his skills behind the scenes.

I don't fully go with the right sort mentality all the time. I think we have too many of the right sorts here. People have a go at Roberts. I've now met the lad three times. He has real issues with his injuries. I couldn't say he's a wrongun because he isn't. The main problem is that we actually have a very decent set of human beings here but very little fire or maverick attitude. That mix of senior stalwarts and a few younger mavericks has worked well for us over the years. You sometimes need the odd maverick to drive the rest on. We don't have any of those players. They made Adel captain because he was a maverick but could be controlled by Hill and Derry. There have been others in the past.

I'm not saying we need trouble makers or disruptors in this squad but what we have is a fairly passive group that don't seem to inspire each other or have anyone particularly, save Johansson and Albert to go to as senior players. Perhaps Martin now but he's only just got here.

I look at Dunne and Dickie. I think both have a lot of professional guile about them but neither of them are that vocal. It's been a criticism of the side for a number of seasons now.

If I ran the club Kevin Gallen, Andy Sinton and Paul Parker would be leading coaching sessions for various parts of the team and be the go to senior ambassadors dealing directly with motivating and passing their knowledge on, as well as being mentors.

That is another issue here. We have all these great past players at the club acting as event ambassadors to fans and media, but we have a great asset in them to be on the coaching fields and motivating this crop of players. But we don't use them for that!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

The right sort on 11:55 - Feb 16 with 1469 viewstoboboly

Fair enough Bosh, I've not met him but from what I see on the pitch Roberts is not one I would categorise as "the right sort". From throwing his hands up and blaming others when he misplaces a pass to not being able/bothered to complete a game and walking off with no acknowledgement of the fans.

The right sort on 12:03 - Feb 16 with 1438 viewsstanistheman

There are a lot of the wrong sort when it comes to their temperament and fighting qualities.

I only really see Dunne, Chair, Dykes, Johansen, Dickie and Field that regularly run and give their all to win matches. I’m not including Dieng as he is a keeper. The rest of them flit in and out when the mood takes them.

I am hoping that Martin and Lowe will also fight for the team.

Players like Dozzell, Willock & Amos haven’t stood out as fighters . As for the Weasel’s signings to quote Shania Twain , “that don’t impress me much”.

Clearly they haven’t impressed Critchley either and he wants more time to be able to bring in his sort of player. I am not sure the club can afford to give him time given the alarming slump in form.

We need him to try and motivate this lot or st least pick a team and coach them to defend properly so that we can at least get some more draws and perhaps a win or two from the remaining fixtures.
The next 3 games will give us a better idea of how he does this.
Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Rotherham and he needs to get 2 points at the very least although I am not convinced he will.
The right sort on 12:13 - Feb 16 with 1407 viewsRangersw12

The right sort on 11:35 - Feb 16 by Wegerles_Stairs

I remember that Birmingham match where both him and Roberts couldn't get off the pitch quick enough because it was a cold Friday evening match and they actually had opposition players physically challenging them.

You're right Birmingham was a shocker

I seem to remember someone going off injured at Luton when the going got tough aswell
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 12:27]
The right sort on 12:17 - Feb 16 with 1391 viewsToast_R

There's a vast difference between being the right sort and a right sort.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024