Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What we wish for - Preview 19:48 - Feb 17 with 4977 viewsNorthernr

What we wish for - Preview 17th Feb 2023 19:47
QPR, one win in 17 games, have a jolly boys' outing to the form team in the country on Saturday as they make the short hop up to Middlesbrough. 12

What we wish for - Preview on 20:01 - Feb 17 with 3629 viewsloftboy

Must have been asleep half the week but who was mouthing off to the fans in a pub?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What we wish for - Preview on 20:55 - Feb 17 with 3403 viewsR_from_afar

Roll up, roll up, for the next leg of Rangers’ nationwide “Bin on fire” tour, sigh.

Be honest with me, I’ll try not to cry. It’s bad isn’t it, really bad?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What we wish for - Preview on 22:01 - Feb 17 with 3190 viewsTheChef

What we wish for - Preview on 20:01 - Feb 17 by loftboy

Must have been asleep half the week but who was mouthing off to the fans in a pub?

Yeah I missed that one too!

So Critchley probably goes after tomorrow's thrashing. But this player power bollocks pisses me off.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a real shit sandwich.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What we wish for - Preview on 22:25 - Feb 17 with 3083 viewsNortholt_Rs

Just Wow! We need to know which of the players was mouthing off in the pub in front of fans….before people start guessing and blaming the wrong poor sod.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

What we wish for - Preview on 22:31 - Feb 17 with 3066 viewsNorthantsHoop

Some really resonating points here Clive. The club is run and supported by mainly the Baby Boom generation, I am one of them. We remember the rise in the 70s, the super football of the Venables era etc, but QPR is a bit like our country now failing, the old baby boomers had great access to the NHS, housing, free University education, final salary pensions etc. QPR are a mirror of this, the football world has moved on, but we are harking back to an era when everything was better because it was being supplied to us, no questions asked. We have never moved on and are just in a vortex of inertia.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 22:34]
What we wish for - Preview on 22:46 - Feb 17 with 2992 viewskropotkin41

Time to be that £8m wage bill League One side then. There's no disgrace in that. Find our character and our brand. Because the alternative doesn't seem to bring much joy does it?
There are some fine clubs of that size and maybe without the foreign investors and all the expectations, you know, other things will sort themselves out. Or not. But this is absolute sh*t and how else is it going to get any better at all?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

What we wish for - Preview on 23:10 - Feb 17 with 2899 viewsqprd

"1 - You're on the hook for £1.8m a month, every month, starting this month in 11 days' time. Eight years of austerity under Hoos has only managed to wrestle it down that far."

I do think Lee Hoos' importance re: the budget is grossly overstated

Yes, he probably introduced some efficiencies early in his tenure- things like cutting out staff, reducing budgets for advertising, etc etc. Once those efficiencies are achieved, the rest of the business of a club is largely out of his control.

Grossly oversimplified, any business is a mix of revenues and costs:

On the revenue side, we may make money through:

1. Ticket sales (which are largely consistent year on year)
2. Sales of merch (not really moving the needle one way or the other)
3. TV revenues (out of QPRs control as the tv contracts are negotiated at a player level)
4. Player sales

On the cost side, there are:
1. Overhead costs- ticketing office, various staff etc- as pointed out earlier, we probably are down to bare bones, so there's likely no fat to trim
2. game day costs- same as above
3. players' wages

in short, lee hoos now has little control over varialbes 1-3 on the revenue side (and to the extent he does, his impact is negligible) and 1-2 on the cost side

The biggest movers of the needle are player sales and player wages. On player wages, QPR is presumably given a budget to spend on salaries and transfer fees. However, within this, Les has an incredible amount of scope to influence how much we're recouping or losing. Similarly, he is the one overseeing our ability to (i) buy low and sell high and (ii) develop academy players for sale

Les Ferdinand has repeatedly made mistakes- bar a few players like Eze, Freeman, etc, we are not selling many players for profits. We've wasted opportunities to sell players like Manning and BOS, whose contracts ran out

Moreover, Les has really botched managing the costs on the playing side. Just as an example, he could've loaned out or sold Bonne in September. Instead, he kept a player who was likely on decent wages, just around and rotting on the bench. The few hundred grand of wages we paid him would be pretty handy.

les gets slated for the football side- but id argue hes just as responsible for the budget/FFP issues as he is for the crap on the pitch
What we wish for - Preview on 23:18 - Feb 17 with 2881 viewseastside_r

What we wish for - Preview on 22:25 - Feb 17 by Northolt_Rs

Just Wow! We need to know which of the players was mouthing off in the pub in front of fans….before people start guessing and blaming the wrong poor sod.

Of course, if that is true (and I have no reason to disbelieve it) then Critchley has already ‘lost the dressing room’ [cliche alert] and his departure will only be a matter of time.
Login to get fewer ads

What we wish for - Preview on 00:06 - Feb 18 with 2735 views1JD

Small point on Amit Bhatia, he previously did have an infinitesimal shareholding around 1-2% but he bought the outgoing shares of Kamaudin bin Meranun. His shares were part sold to Bhatia and part sold to the American guy. Bhatia upped his stake to about 10% last year.
What we wish for - Preview on 00:36 - Feb 18 with 2693 viewssparkey

I would very much like to know who this player openly criticising the manager is. The team is a f***ing virus at the minute and under zero circumstance should a player be slagging off the manager in public.
What we wish for - Preview on 00:49 - Feb 18 with 2651 viewsDejR_vu

This all feels like we are going to totally implode. Terminal.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

What we wish for - Preview on 07:05 - Feb 18 with 2436 viewsPunteR

As much as it is risky to the clubs welfare I think you have to bring the owners to account.
They're the ones that pull the strings. They need to up their game or go. This treading water business in the hope we might get lucky is slowly killing the club anyway. I mean we are seriously talking about a relegation battle this season aren't we ?
Things are badly wrong behind the scenes at the club and my hunch is its because the owners have left it to Hoos and Les ( the latter having no experience in the role) and they've just run their course.
Les should go, he's had a good run of work but ultimately he's not reaching the goals he set out to do. The jobs for the boys thing that fans were accusing them of is in reality a thing and that's not good for the long term. It needs fresh faces and new ideas.
It's not working.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What we wish for - Preview on 07:41 - Feb 18 with 2339 viewsdistortR

What we wish for - Preview on 23:10 - Feb 17 by qprd

"1 - You're on the hook for £1.8m a month, every month, starting this month in 11 days' time. Eight years of austerity under Hoos has only managed to wrestle it down that far."

I do think Lee Hoos' importance re: the budget is grossly overstated

Yes, he probably introduced some efficiencies early in his tenure- things like cutting out staff, reducing budgets for advertising, etc etc. Once those efficiencies are achieved, the rest of the business of a club is largely out of his control.

Grossly oversimplified, any business is a mix of revenues and costs:

On the revenue side, we may make money through:

1. Ticket sales (which are largely consistent year on year)
2. Sales of merch (not really moving the needle one way or the other)
3. TV revenues (out of QPRs control as the tv contracts are negotiated at a player level)
4. Player sales

On the cost side, there are:
1. Overhead costs- ticketing office, various staff etc- as pointed out earlier, we probably are down to bare bones, so there's likely no fat to trim
2. game day costs- same as above
3. players' wages

in short, lee hoos now has little control over varialbes 1-3 on the revenue side (and to the extent he does, his impact is negligible) and 1-2 on the cost side

The biggest movers of the needle are player sales and player wages. On player wages, QPR is presumably given a budget to spend on salaries and transfer fees. However, within this, Les has an incredible amount of scope to influence how much we're recouping or losing. Similarly, he is the one overseeing our ability to (i) buy low and sell high and (ii) develop academy players for sale

Les Ferdinand has repeatedly made mistakes- bar a few players like Eze, Freeman, etc, we are not selling many players for profits. We've wasted opportunities to sell players like Manning and BOS, whose contracts ran out

Moreover, Les has really botched managing the costs on the playing side. Just as an example, he could've loaned out or sold Bonne in September. Instead, he kept a player who was likely on decent wages, just around and rotting on the bench. The few hundred grand of wages we paid him would be pretty handy.

les gets slated for the football side- but id argue hes just as responsible for the budget/FFP issues as he is for the crap on the pitch

While I agree with most of what you say, players well know they can't be forced to sign contracts, and if they don't, they may be rewarded for not doing so by their next club.
How you get the balance between clubs holding players hostage, and players sinking clubs like ours, I don't know.
At Blackburn, Bereton has signed pre-nup's with some Spanish club.

The lack of standards in the players at the club - the lack of standards in society - was exposed by the player slagging off NC in public.

Anyway, we win 2-0 today.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 7:43]
What we wish for - Preview on 07:42 - Feb 18 with 2330 viewsjohnhoop

What we wish for - Preview on 07:05 - Feb 18 by PunteR

As much as it is risky to the clubs welfare I think you have to bring the owners to account.
They're the ones that pull the strings. They need to up their game or go. This treading water business in the hope we might get lucky is slowly killing the club anyway. I mean we are seriously talking about a relegation battle this season aren't we ?
Things are badly wrong behind the scenes at the club and my hunch is its because the owners have left it to Hoos and Les ( the latter having no experience in the role) and they've just run their course.
Les should go, he's had a good run of work but ultimately he's not reaching the goals he set out to do. The jobs for the boys thing that fans were accusing them of is in reality a thing and that's not good for the long term. It needs fresh faces and new ideas.
It's not working.

There are two ways in which the owners can go. They can sell the club to someone who wants to buy it but as Clive has so succinctly pointed out, with the level of debt and operating costs that the club incurs you’d either have to be financially illiterate or so wealthy that you could afford to wave goodbye to tens of millions without any prospect of seeing a return on it.
Or, they simply pull the plug and decide they’ve had enough of pouring money into a black hole in which case the club will cease to exist because bucket collections aren’t going to raise two million a month. At the moment they’re bailing out a very leaky boat and to many of us it feels right they should do it because of the appalling mess they made of our chances in the Premier League. But as businessmen you have to wonder just how much longer they’ll be prepared to keep pouring money down the drain.
What we wish for - Preview on 07:54 - Feb 18 with 2291 viewsstevec

Spot on.

Some people seem to think the owners subsidising the club is enough. It’s pointless without any vision.

These are overpaid footballers whose points return could hardly get any worse if we had a team on half the wage bill. The academy side should be looking after this aspect, it’s clearly not. The board do nothing.

As for someone else taking over, first off they’d tell the present owners one way or another you will settle the FFP fine and secondly could cut the £1.8 mill a month in half and probably be no worse off.

As it stands, I’m starting to think a drop into League One will be the only way we can shake off Les & Co, half these disloyal players and with any luck these zombie owners, or at least shake these owners awake to their total mismanagement of this club.
What we wish for - Preview on 07:57 - Feb 18 with 2284 viewsjoe90

If the player is happy to talk openly and publicly why can’t you say exactly what they said?

You can’t drop something like that in an expect people to gloss over it!
What we wish for - Preview on 07:59 - Feb 18 with 2273 viewsNortholt_Rs

What we wish for - Preview on 07:42 - Feb 18 by johnhoop

There are two ways in which the owners can go. They can sell the club to someone who wants to buy it but as Clive has so succinctly pointed out, with the level of debt and operating costs that the club incurs you’d either have to be financially illiterate or so wealthy that you could afford to wave goodbye to tens of millions without any prospect of seeing a return on it.
Or, they simply pull the plug and decide they’ve had enough of pouring money into a black hole in which case the club will cease to exist because bucket collections aren’t going to raise two million a month. At the moment they’re bailing out a very leaky boat and to many of us it feels right they should do it because of the appalling mess they made of our chances in the Premier League. But as businessmen you have to wonder just how much longer they’ll be prepared to keep pouring money down the drain.

Or….they can try to actually fix things so their asset has a saleable value. One things for sure, it can’t just carry on as it is today.

What we wish for - Preview on 08:17 - Feb 18 with 2242 viewsNorthernr

What we wish for - Preview on 07:57 - Feb 18 by joe90

If the player is happy to talk openly and publicly why can’t you say exactly what they said?

You can’t drop something like that in an expect people to gloss over it!

Joe, do you know what, you're exactly right, as is Northolt above. If I'm not willing to release the name I should have shut up about it.

I've deleted the line, which I know is pretty pointless because the genie is out of the bottle now, but I regretted saying it, I haven't slept with the anxiety over it, so all I can do is remove the line and come here and apologise to you.

I was very angry last week about a number of things I heard about the players and I wanted to publish as much as I could but I should have either put up or shut up. I've let my passion and anger as a fan override what I know about journalistic standards and practices, so I apologise to you guys I should have been a bit savvier and a lot more sensible about it. It's been a long week one way or another, I put my hands up, I was wrong to post that.
What we wish for - Preview on 08:41 - Feb 18 with 2157 viewsPunteR

What we wish for - Preview on 08:17 - Feb 18 by Northernr

Joe, do you know what, you're exactly right, as is Northolt above. If I'm not willing to release the name I should have shut up about it.

I've deleted the line, which I know is pretty pointless because the genie is out of the bottle now, but I regretted saying it, I haven't slept with the anxiety over it, so all I can do is remove the line and come here and apologise to you.

I was very angry last week about a number of things I heard about the players and I wanted to publish as much as I could but I should have either put up or shut up. I've let my passion and anger as a fan override what I know about journalistic standards and practices, so I apologise to you guys I should have been a bit savvier and a lot more sensible about it. It's been a long week one way or another, I put my hands up, I was wrong to post that.

I don't think you was in the wrong at all. You shouldn't have deleted it. You didn't give any names out so that's that. Personally I couldn't care less who it was and if we're being honest it's hardly supprising it happened. We can all see that things are not right at the club. .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What we wish for - Preview on 08:58 - Feb 18 with 2094 viewsRangersw12

I wouldn't worry about it mate

Fans deserve to know everything that's going on
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 9:14]
What we wish for - Preview on 09:03 - Feb 18 with 2082 viewsdmm

Thanks for this overview of the state we're in, Clive. You provide objective analysis which is very helpful amid all the ranting.

But, QPR can't go on like this much longer. A major club reset this summer feels inevitable now, regardless of what division we're in. If there isn't one, just continuing to stagger along as we have been doing will only prolong the pain.

Perilous times.
What we wish for - Preview on 09:06 - Feb 18 with 2078 viewsR_from_afar

There’s no guarantee that if we drop down a division, everything will suddenly click, but there is a guarantee that the club would be poorer.

There’s also no guarantee that new owners would be better generally or achieve more success.

I’ll openly admit that the player development side of things is not delivering and that the future of the stadium has been botched then swept under the carpet, but I don’t remember many people saying things weren’t working in October when we were top. Granted, we have fallen apart since.

I think it’s appalling that a player is openly slagging off the manager. In all walks of life, managers aren’t employed to be liked, they are employed because they are supposedly capable. You could well argue that Critchley and his coaches aren’t demonstrating that they are capable but then our wonderful players had stopped delivering for Beale too. It’s probably difficult to like managers or coaches when they keep telling you you need to do the football basics, like marking, tackling, shooting accurately, tracking back and concentrating. Here’s a news flash for our darling players: Start doing those things and then the boring lectures will stop.

It’s about time our squad showed some professional pride and stopped sulking but I expect we will have to sack Critchley long before that happens,

Something which is really worrying is that often, even when teams are on a shocking run, at least in some games, you see one or two players having a good game. That doesn’t seem to be happening, which tells me that there is a lack of effort and desire. It’s rare that players who have shown that they can perform are out of form for extended periods.

It’s a concern and I don’t know what the answer is, but Critchley, Brunskill and Garrity will take the hit for it unless the team confounds everyone and serves up some wins in the next few games. Grrrrr

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What we wish for - Preview on 09:15 - Feb 18 with 2047 viewsjoe90

I see you first and foremost as a fan, so you can be forgiven for letting your passion cloud your professional judgment, particularly given our current form.

We’re all feeling the frustration, which is further compounded by the added sense of hopelessness.

For what it’s worth, your efforts are appreciated and that point must be acknowledged, especially now as I assume you’re on your way to the Riverside…
What we wish for - Preview on 09:38 - Feb 18 with 1973 viewsNortholt_Rs

Clive, you of all people have zero to apologise about re QPR. I’m grateful you did let us know about the gobshite player even if as a journo you cannot reveal your source. It confirms what we can all see with our eyes - these players are phoning it in. They cannot possibly have just suddenly become this bad. The club is a total shitshow.

What we wish for - Preview on 10:00 - Feb 18 with 1906 viewsqprd

Mate, you never need to apologise for anything given all the work you put into this site

I’m glad you didn’t publish the name bc you can never be sure about the reliability of the comment- was it taken out of context, exaggerated etc etc. if it’s not on camera or in the players writing, I think it would’ve been irresponsible to post the name

Having said that, I’m glad someone is putting this out there (even if on an anonymised basis) bc it’s a reminder to the players to be responsible ….
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 10:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024