Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager gets what manager wants 09:41 - Feb 21 with 4173 viewsThird_Division_South

There’s been a lot of talk about this and how the DOF set up should prevent giving in to the manager’s demands. But, but, but……. Ainsworth has had 10 years watching and studying lower league football and has probably more knowledge of players at that level than our DOF. Surely it would be foolish to ignore players that he thinks would do us a job that maybe he wouldn’t have been able to afford at Wycombe?
Manager gets what manager wants on 09:57 - Feb 21 with 4067 viewsdaveB

could say the same about Beale working in academies so had better knowledge. For me you either go full in with the director of football route or don't bother
Manager gets what manager wants on 10:06 - Feb 21 with 4040 viewsGaxZE

Manager gets what manager wants on 09:57 - Feb 21 by daveB

could say the same about Beale working in academies so had better knowledge. For me you either go full in with the director of football route or don't bother

Clint Hill mentioned something on the QPR Pod the other day, about how bigger clubs hoover up young talent and makes it harder for QPR and when many of those youngsters fail to make it they struggle to adapt to other clubs. This is because kids in academy's at Chelsea, Utd, City etc all are brought into to be coached how to play for City, Utd or Chelsea and when they drop down divisions they often struggle.

This for me is very true and probably why I feel our approach to blooding young talent hasn't been as fruitful and players are actually not good enough to make the grade..

At this point I would be more inclined to listen to Gaz over Les when it comes to lower league players. Les may have contacts in prem academies but a majority of them don't have what QPR need imo. We need characters, leaders, players who can take adversity and I think we're finding that Premier League academy players don't have that because they've been wrapped in cotton wool.
Manager gets what manager wants on 21:06 - Mar 7 with 3653 viewsThird_Division_South

Manager gets what manager wants on 10:06 - Feb 21 by GaxZE

Clint Hill mentioned something on the QPR Pod the other day, about how bigger clubs hoover up young talent and makes it harder for QPR and when many of those youngsters fail to make it they struggle to adapt to other clubs. This is because kids in academy's at Chelsea, Utd, City etc all are brought into to be coached how to play for City, Utd or Chelsea and when they drop down divisions they often struggle.

This for me is very true and probably why I feel our approach to blooding young talent hasn't been as fruitful and players are actually not good enough to make the grade..

At this point I would be more inclined to listen to Gaz over Les when it comes to lower league players. Les may have contacts in prem academies but a majority of them don't have what QPR need imo. We need characters, leaders, players who can take adversity and I think we're finding that Premier League academy players don't have that because they've been wrapped in cotton wool.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1169966160?-294:802

Ainsworth recommending signings.
Manager gets what manager wants on 09:53 - Mar 8 with 3253 viewsToast_R

I don't think the DOF models has worked very well when you look at the amount of dross that's been signed since 2015. Look at that transfer windows for both 2015/16 and 2016/17. No wonder we are where we are now.

95% of them were crap and returned little sell on value. Norwich and Fulham seemed to be able to transition Prem to Championship without saddling themselves with a squad of garbage. Why did QPR fail so miserably when it mattered most?

Did we honestly pay 1.2M for Joel Lynton? Who's idea was that?
We signed JET knowing he was a problem child

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015—16_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016—17_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._season
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 9:59]
Manager gets what manager wants on 10:12 - Mar 8 with 3162 viewsgazza1

Signing players are not just one persons job......it will be an agreed signing from many angles, wages, signing fees, positions, club policies/model and much more. It would be ridiculous and it would not work for Les to sign a player that the Manager does not want. Likewise GA cannot expect to sign a player that we cannot afford.

It would be done jointly by a few senior people within the Club.
Manager gets what manager wants on 10:55 - Mar 8 with 3092 viewsdaveB

Manager gets what manager wants on 09:53 - Mar 8 by Toast_R

I don't think the DOF models has worked very well when you look at the amount of dross that's been signed since 2015. Look at that transfer windows for both 2015/16 and 2016/17. No wonder we are where we are now.

95% of them were crap and returned little sell on value. Norwich and Fulham seemed to be able to transition Prem to Championship without saddling themselves with a squad of garbage. Why did QPR fail so miserably when it mattered most?

Norwich and Fulham didn't have to cut down an unsustainable wage bill and were saddled with some very expensive players who didn't want to be here

For me it's not the DOF model thats the problem, (Both Norwich & Fulham have a DOF) we've just not done it that well and have had too many poor transfer windows
Manager gets what manager wants on 11:23 - Mar 8 with 2964 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Manager gets what manager wants on 10:55 - Mar 8 by daveB

Norwich and Fulham didn't have to cut down an unsustainable wage bill and were saddled with some very expensive players who didn't want to be here

For me it's not the DOF model thats the problem, (Both Norwich & Fulham have a DOF) we've just not done it that well and have had too many poor transfer windows

And neither appointed a former striker as their DoF. Funny that - almost like you appoint people based on their experience and ability to do the job.
Manager gets what manager wants on 11:25 - Mar 8 with 2974 viewsNorthernr

Manager gets what manager wants on 11:23 - Mar 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

And neither appointed a former striker as their DoF. Funny that - almost like you appoint people based on their experience and ability to do the job.

TBF I'm not sure Fulham is the example you're searching for to back that point - they gave it to the chairman's son and he largely made a pig's ear of it until Silva got in there.
Login to get fewer ads

Manager gets what manager wants on 11:32 - Mar 8 with 2931 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Manager gets what manager wants on 11:25 - Mar 8 by Northernr

TBF I'm not sure Fulham is the example you're searching for to back that point - they gave it to the chairman's son and he largely made a pig's ear of it until Silva got in there.

Surely that is just an inconvenient fact though?
Manager gets what manager wants on 11:50 - Mar 8 with 2846 viewsjohnhoop

I think I would have a fair bit of faith in the signings that Ainsworth made from the lower divisions, based on his extensive experience there. Particularly if it’s in order to get us back into the division we’re in now.
Manager gets what manager wants on 13:15 - Mar 8 with 2628 viewsQPR_Jim

Manager gets what manager wants on 10:12 - Mar 8 by gazza1

Signing players are not just one persons job......it will be an agreed signing from many angles, wages, signing fees, positions, club policies/model and much more. It would be ridiculous and it would not work for Les to sign a player that the Manager does not want. Likewise GA cannot expect to sign a player that we cannot afford.

Exactly.

If there's a player in league 1 or league 2 capable of playing in the championship then I'm pretty sure all championship clubs (even us) will be aware of him and have done some scouting. Where Ainsworth will come in handy is potentially having some prior knowledge of the players when they are put to him as options, rather than relying solely on scouts.
Manager gets what manager wants on 14:34 - Mar 8 with 2402 viewsderbyhoop

Manager gets what manager wants on 10:12 - Mar 8 by gazza1

Isn't that what Les said on interview with Clive.

Sure GA will know of L1/L2 players that may be capable of stepping up, but Les, Belk and hoos will all have an input. Perhaps we'll find an unpolished gem. Instead of some cheap quartz.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Manager gets what manager wants on 15:44 - Mar 8 with 2240 viewsNorthantsHoop

Manager gets what manager wants on 10:06 - Feb 21 by GaxZE

I think you are totally right on this, we need to shop for players that want to make the step up and have been hardened up in the lower leagues. All these Premier League Academy types on loans just don't seem to have the fight in them. Getting the right balance on youth, sensible buying and experience is the sweet spot and we have fallen short on this for years, hopefully Gareth Ainsworth can get us there eventually. The loan signings from the premier clubs in recent years except Wells and Hugill have not exactly been a success in my view.
Manager gets what manager wants on 15:47 - Mar 8 with 2221 viewsdaveB

The loans haven't worked this season so as ever we go for the opposite ,back to lower league players now. This time next year we'll be saying why can't we tap into these premier league academies and get the best talent on loan
Manager gets what manager wants on 16:21 - Mar 8 with 2121 viewsBluce_Ree

we should have made Said Les our manager because we'd be able to hold him accountable for results and sack him for piss poor performance.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Manager gets what manager wants on 16:54 - Mar 8 with 2030 viewsWokingR

Manager gets what manager wants on 14:34 - Mar 8 by derbyhoop

Isn't that what Les said on interview with Clive.

Sure GA will know of L1/L2 players that may be capable of stepping up, but Les, Belk and hoos will all have an input. Perhaps we'll find an unpolished gem. Instead of some cheap quartz.

At this stage I'd settle for some cheap quartz.
We've spent far too long trying to polish turds already.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 21:38]
Manager gets what manager wants on 17:27 - Mar 8 with 1948 viewsNewBee

Brentford's Technical Director Lee Dykes was interviewed recently by CNN.

He made a couple of interesting points about the club's player recruitment.

First, the club has 85k players on their database! Obviously there is no way all of those could ever be suitable for BFC, even if available and affordable etc. But it does mean you don't miss anyone out when starting the search to fill a gap

Second, after their analytical tools have filtered out the vast majority of the 85k players whom we don't want/can't get, the (few) remainders still have to go before a lot of "eyes" i.e. human assessment.

And as regards this latter process, he noted that: "A lot of people have to say Yes [agree] for a player to come into Brentford Football Club"

Which brings us back to Warburton (and eventually QPR?). For aiui, while Warburton didn't demand the (sole) right to decide who should come into the club while he was manager, he does seem to have required a veto over who didn't come in.

And in the end, that was unacceptable to the club, hence his departure even as we seemed, outwardly at least, to be doing ok under him.

(One other point - although it wasn't quite clear - I think Dykes said he had 15 people in his analytics team, which shows how importantly the owner takes these things. I assume at least some of these are seconded from his main sports betting and data companies.)
Manager gets what manager wants on 17:40 - Mar 8 with 1923 viewsPunteR

Les has done a terrible job but knows more about football than the owners so gets to keep his job. Fine. Let Ainsworth and his team write a list the players they want on a sheet of A4 then fold it into a paper aeroplane and throw it into Les's office. He can then unfold it then copy into an email to send to Hoos.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Manager gets what manager wants on 17:43 - Mar 8 with 1916 viewsPunteR

Manager gets what manager wants on 17:27 - Mar 8 by NewBee

Brentford's Technical Director Lee Dykes was interviewed recently by CNN.

He made a couple of interesting points about the club's player recruitment.

First, the club has 85k players on their database! Obviously there is no way all of those could ever be suitable for BFC, even if available and affordable etc. But it does mean you don't miss anyone out when starting the search to fill a gap

Second, after their analytical tools have filtered out the vast majority of the 85k players whom we don't want/can't get, the (few) remainders still have to go before a lot of "eyes" i.e. human assessment.

And as regards this latter process, he noted that: "A lot of people have to say Yes [agree] for a player to come into Brentford Football Club"

Which brings us back to Warburton (and eventually QPR?). For aiui, while Warburton didn't demand the (sole) right to decide who should come into the club while he was manager, he does seem to have required a veto over who didn't come in.

And in the end, that was unacceptable to the club, hence his departure even as we seemed, outwardly at least, to be doing ok under him.

(One other point - although it wasn't quite clear - I think Dykes said he had 15 people in his analytics team, which shows how importantly the owner takes these things. I assume at least some of these are seconded from his main sports betting and data companies.)

You are obsessed with Warburton and QPR.

Bizarre.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Manager gets what manager wants on 18:11 - Mar 8 with 1876 viewspaulparker

Manager gets what manager wants on 09:53 - Mar 8 by Toast_R

We just have the wrong DOF

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024