Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jerez horse festival 18:21 - May 6 with 2558 viewssevenhoop

Going to southern Spain next week and was intending to go to this. Looks great. Anyone been/any tips?
Jerez horse festival on 18:25 - May 6 with 2522 viewsRed_Ranger

Just go.
Drink tons of sherry (fino or Manzanilla).
Eat amazing tapas
Try and see some flamenco singing.
be wowed by it all.
Have fun.
Jerez horse festival on 18:48 - May 6 with 2460 viewsE1Hoop

Definitely go it is great and Jerez is a fantastic city, one of my favourite places. One point though is that i think it’s is this week from the 6th to the 13th. Is that the time that you are in Jerez?
Jerez horse festival on 18:50 - May 6 with 2456 viewscolinallcars

Oh, no….not another Jeremy Corbyn thread.
Jerez horse festival on 19:56 - May 6 with 2384 viewsdezzar

Ooh get you I’m going to southern Spain , pathetic
Jerez horse festival on 00:26 - May 7 with 2296 viewsBoston

Jerez horse festival on 19:56 - May 6 by dezzar

That's not nice, Desmond.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jerez horse festival on 00:27 - May 7 with 2295 viewsBoston

Anyway, Jerez, go, who cares about others' opinions, you can have a good time anywhere, if you want to.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jerez horse festival on 07:14 - May 7 with 2242 viewssevenhoop

Jerez horse festival on 19:56 - May 6 by dezzar

? Didn’t exactly say ‘I’m going to spend a week on a massive yacht/ going to a 5 star in the carribean’, did I?! I think it’s fair to say that there’s a few posters on here who might occasionally pop to Spain for a few days.

Anyway, I genuinely wanted to know if anyone had been to the Horse Festival and if so (1) if worth going and, if so, (2) best way to enjoy it
Jerez horse festival on 11:00 - May 7 with 2128 viewswesty

Jerez horse festival on 07:14 - May 7 by sevenhoop

? Didn’t exactly say ‘I’m going to spend a week on a massive yacht/ going to a 5 star in the carribean’, did I?! I think it’s fair to say that there’s a few posters on here who might occasionally pop to Spain for a few days.

Anyway, I genuinely wanted to know if anyone had been to the Horse Festival and if so (1) if worth going and, if so, (2) best way to enjoy it

Ignore haters mate. Never been to Jerez but as you probably know just go with the flow and live the Spanish life.
It looks fantastic as the many festivals in Spain are. Seville is about an hour away, another lovely place to visit if you have time.
My go to is Valencia such a fantastic place with lovely people. And a struggling football team atm (sounds a bit familiar )
My retirement beckons there one day

Enjoy mate
[Post edited 7 May 2023 11:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Jerez horse festival on 21:47 - May 7 with 2020 viewsgolborne

Do yourself a massive favour and make a trip out to Sanlucar de Barrameda on the coast about 25-30 min drive West and the home of Manzanilla. There are regular buses, and you’ll find the best seafood tapas anywhere in Spain. The port is expensive(ish) but a lovely setting and great sunset. I much prefer the old square. Casa balbino tapas bar is amazing, the totitas de camerones is probably my favourite thing to eat on earth, but I love a bit a fried fish. Jealous!
Jerez horse festival on 14:33 - May 8 with 1895 viewsNewBee

Jerez horse festival on 07:14 - May 7 by sevenhoop

I went to the horse festival on a day trip from Cadiz about five years ago. It really is a terrific spectacle, even if you're not really into horses etc.
Make sure your phone is well charged, since you'll take loads of pics of the processions. Or take a camera.
Getting from the centre of town out to the showgrounds, before and after (esp) can be a bit of a faff, so check your bus/cab beforehand.
Once there, there are loads of pavilions with bars and food etc which are part of the attraction. However many are sponsored by companies/corporates/societies, so you need a ticket/invite. We found it quite difficult to find somewhere who would have us [insert own joke here], though it was ok in the end. Anyhow, check beforehand to see if you can't reserve a spot (unsure?)
As for Jerez itself, it was fine, but we weren't particularly blown away by it - maybe because we are so impressed by Cadiz (a real favourite) and other Andalucian cities.
There is a terrific high speed train service between Seville/Jerez/Cadiz, also with connections to SVQ and XRY airports. So if you have time for an excursion, you might consider that. Not too expensive, either, iirc.
Oh and Jerez is the motorbike racing capital of Spain - though if you're already into bikes, you'll probably know that.
[Post edited 8 May 2023 14:35]
Jerez horse festival on 16:04 - May 8 with 1860 viewsjohncharles

Do they kill all the horses at the end ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Jerez horse festival on 18:13 - May 8 with 1814 viewsSherryHoop

I live just up the road. Hence the name - Sherry Hoop

La Feria is a special time of year over here. The whole community getting pissed, dancing and eating together. Great atmosphere.

The casetas or tents are sponsored by different societies and businesses in town. On different days you go with your family, friends, work. A lot of business gets done at the feria but mostly it is just a great laugh.

Tips - careful with the "rebujito" it's Manzanilla sherry with 7up and goes down easily when it's hot. But gives a terrible hangover.
Horses are there from about 1pm to 6 pm the. They leave and the real party begins
Wear a shirt and smart trousers so as.to fit it. It is an elegant affair.
Your shoes will get battered and covered in dust.
Take lots of cash and be careful of the gypsys selling rosemary as they can be pickpockets too.
Go to the fun fair part too. Lots of rides and games.
Saturday and Sunday are packed so if you can go mid week it's a bit more chilled.
Enjoy!!!!

U Rs
Jerez horse festival on 18:16 - May 8 with 1807 viewsSherryHoop

Forgot to mention. Try to be there for the day AND the night as they turn on the lights and the vibe changes completely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024