Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Transfer Rumours 16:26 - May 9 with 396453 viewsderbyhoop

As they seem to have started already, this should be an ongoing thread until August

Seny Dieng - Reims who are mid table in Ligue 1 reportedly interested
Conor Masterson - Gillingham, where he spent the 2nd half of the season; are confident of signing him, but Exeter are also interested

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:47 - Jun 5 with 5844 viewssparkey

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:37 - Jun 5 by Yorkshirehoop

Just throwing a name out there but Keane Lewis potter of Brentford would be a good loan signing.just had surgery and needs game time.would make sense for all parties what with the locality.cleary not premier league standard but at this level he ain't shy in front of goal.

No.

So annoying developing premier league players with no benefit to us. To do that for Brentford would be even worse
Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:49 - Jun 5 with 5815 viewsDieByYourSide

Re: Dickie

Everyone agrees he's had a crap season.

Everyone knows his contract's up in 12 months (perhaps 24 if we hold option).

Everyone unhappy about getting £750k-£1m?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 12:51]

Poll: And it's hi ho

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:09 - Jun 5 with 5653 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:49 - Jun 5 by DieByYourSide

Re: Dickie

Everyone agrees he's had a crap season.

Everyone knows his contract's up in 12 months (perhaps 24 if we hold option).

Everyone unhappy about getting £750k-£1m?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 12:51]

Whereas I recognise that, all things considered, the fee for Dickie is as much as we can hope for, I am unhappy.

Eze aside, our transfer dealings which were meant to be a source of income, have been crap for years now. Perhaps it's best we scrap the development club idea now because we're dreadful at it and show no sign of making it work.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:26 - Jun 5 with 5553 viewsAntti_Heinola

Summer Transfer Rumours on 11:24 - Jun 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

Bristol City are still getting decent transfer fees for players because (i) they're good and (ii) they can sell them safe in the knowledge that there's a conveyor belt of talent at the club to replace them with. They are actually showing how a development club should work, just as Brentford did. Meanwhile, we're flogging players to them at a loss and signing their cast-offs to cover our striker for a few weeks as we don't have anyone capable of doing so at the club.

And the people responsible for this are still at the club! Absolute clown show.

I think Bristol will have a good season next year, but let's just rein in the City c0ck-sucking a bit shall we? They have been dire for a number of seasons (had we managed to beat them in the last game, they'd only have finished slightly above us); they overspent hugely in the recent past, and have paid for it with a few seasons of not much happening - and were doing silly deals like the Wells one only 2 years ago. Clearly, youth system is going well (better than ours), but this is a club who haven't been in the top flight for decades while numerous smaller clubs overtook them. The narrative that our club is a basketcase and everyone else is doing it well is a bit nonsensical at times.

Bare bones.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:31 - Jun 5 with 5486 viewsSakura

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:09 - Jun 5 by dmm

Whereas I recognise that, all things considered, the fee for Dickie is as much as we can hope for, I am unhappy.

Eze aside, our transfer dealings which were meant to be a source of income, have been crap for years now. Perhaps it's best we scrap the development club idea now because we're dreadful at it and show no sign of making it work.

This is why we need to sack Andy Belk

Also Ferdinand, as it is them two who are responsible for us not having ever signed a player for a low fee and then sold on for multiples. Despite many 7 figure spends attempts to achieve that

Amos, Dozzell, Dickie, Dykes, their more recent failures costing around £7m between them we will get maybe £3m back

Belk out!!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 13:32]
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:37 - Jun 5 with 5462 viewsMatch82

Summer Transfer Rumours on 11:28 - Jun 5 by Rangersw12

We should have tried to sell him when he was in good form but Ferdinand and Hoos didn't as they didn't want to be unpopular ( worked out well)

As usual we did the whole "development club " half arsed and poorly executed and we're now selling any assets for pittance.

Every department at the club seems to be experts in self preservation and not putting the club first .
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 11:30]

If we had sold him when he was in good form they would have been crucified by the fan base. Very easy to say with hindsight
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:46 - Jun 5 with 5406 viewsRangersw12

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:37 - Jun 5 by Match82

If we had sold him when he was in good form they would have been crucified by the fan base. Very easy to say with hindsight

Bar the twts on the twitter I think the majority of fans understand that we need to sell players for profit in order to comply and trade our way into having some FFP headroom

We will be saying the same thing when Chair , Willock and Dieng go for next to nothing aswell .
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 13:49]
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:48 - Jun 5 with 5386 viewsAntti_Heinola

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:47 - Jun 5 by sparkey

No.

So annoying developing premier league players with no benefit to us. To do that for Brentford would be even worse

We need to get over this.
The benefit is having a good player.
Burnley had FIVE.
You can pick ther wrong loans, and that's one thing, but the vast majority of teams want and need loans.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:57 - Jun 5 with 5284 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:26 - Jun 5 by Antti_Heinola

I think Bristol will have a good season next year, but let's just rein in the City c0ck-sucking a bit shall we? They have been dire for a number of seasons (had we managed to beat them in the last game, they'd only have finished slightly above us); they overspent hugely in the recent past, and have paid for it with a few seasons of not much happening - and were doing silly deals like the Wells one only 2 years ago. Clearly, youth system is going well (better than ours), but this is a club who haven't been in the top flight for decades while numerous smaller clubs overtook them. The narrative that our club is a basketcase and everyone else is doing it well is a bit nonsensical at times.

I was using them more as an example to show that you can still get big money for players, which people are using as an excuse for why we are no longer 'doing a Brentford' and are now 'doing a Wycombe'. I wouldn't presume to know enough about any other club to know what's the true picture.

However, as Clive has repeatedly stated, the fact that we had no one capable of stepping up to cover Dykes for a few weeks speaks volumes about us as a 'development' club.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:16 - Jun 5 with 5179 viewsdaveB

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:29 - Jun 5 by Rangersw12

Ferdinand more or less said in his interview with Clive that the didn't sell anyone as they were " going for it " and if they did the fans would have given them then pelters .

Also Beale only agreed to come to the club if we didn't sell any assets which again shows we haven't a clue what we're doing and now in a position where it's a fire sale

As for a lack of pace I don't see that as a reason why we would couldn't of at least doubled out money on him plus add ons

I agree thats what they did but they didn't have any offers for these players anyway so even if they wanted to sell last summer they'd have struggled to get big money as no one wanted them for the price we wanted
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:24 - Jun 5 with 5142 viewsvanrrrr

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:48 - Jun 5 by Antti_Heinola

We need to get over this.
The benefit is having a good player.
Burnley had FIVE.
You can pick ther wrong loans, and that's one thing, but the vast majority of teams want and need loans.

given our finances we absolutely need a few good loans next season!

Not sure how many prem clubs will trust us with the development of their players though - struggling down the wrong end , playing percentage football etc -not really what they would want I guess
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:28 - Jun 5 with 5109 viewsrobith

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:26 - Jun 5 by Antti_Heinola

If we were selling a generational talent, and our first signing was going to be a centre back from a team who narrowly avoided the drop who looked on the edge of a nervous breakdown every time he played, this place would be on fire.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:32 - Jun 5 with 5046 viewsAntti_Heinola

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:57 - Jun 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

I was using them more as an example to show that you can still get big money for players, which people are using as an excuse for why we are no longer 'doing a Brentford' and are now 'doing a Wycombe'. I wouldn't presume to know enough about any other club to know what's the true picture.

However, as Clive has repeatedly stated, the fact that we had no one capable of stepping up to cover Dykes for a few weeks speaks volumes about us as a 'development' club.

Fair enough. To play devil's advocate, no one is saying you can't get big fees, they're saying the £6-8m fees paid by Champ clubs market has more or less died. So the 'cusp' market - the sort of not-good-enough-for-decent-Prem-sides-but-bloody-useful-in-Champ market has all but gone. Which it has. That means the level of player you need to produce to get a good fee cannot just be Gary Madine on a hot streak, it has to be Eze or Alex Scott.

Agree, however, that the development tree, which between 2018 and 2021 seemed to be bearing fruit, has withered rather.

Bare bones.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:33 - Jun 5 with 5038 viewsdaveB

No.

the benefit to us is keeping us in the division short term, not every player in the squad can be signed with a view to making money on
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:44 - Jun 5 with 4932 viewssparkey

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:33 - Jun 5 by daveB

the benefit to us is keeping us in the division short term, not every player in the squad can be signed with a view to making money on

Except the loan players last year were a huge reason as to why we were so close to the drop
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:49 - Jun 5 with 4901 viewsYorkshirehoop

No.

I get exactly where your coming from but we will be reliant on the loan market next season.obvioisly it has to be the right players.id settle for developing a young premier league player as long as he produces the goods.your obviously referring to Tim iroegbunam, that was a gamble that splits opinion.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:50 - Jun 5 with 4876 viewsCamberleyR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:37 - Jun 5 by Match82

As has been said many times though, painful though it might be, this is what we have to do. If we had sold him in August 2021 when he was becoming one of the Championship's most talked about players, we would have at least doubled our money him which after a year of being our player would have been great business.

As we all know the tough part is spending a fraction of that profit on the replacement .

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:51 - Jun 5 with 4866 viewsAntti_Heinola

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:44 - Jun 5 by sparkey

Except the loan players last year were a huge reason as to why we were so close to the drop

and the 5 Burnley had saw them romp the league.

Bare bones.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:58 - Jun 5 with 4540 viewsNorthernr

Summer Transfer Rumours on 11:53 - Jun 5 by terryb

I've no idea if this is the correct fee that we paid for him & I won't try to argue that this is anything like what we expected when we signed him in 2020.

BUT, if this figure is correct, we will have a profit of £250,000 on him for the current accounts period! Plus saving on his wages!

Amortisation would have reduced his asset value to £450,000 for this season, so there's a quarter of a million towards Sakura's £6 million savings!

And the really good news is if Oxford's sell on clause is for a percentage of the profit then they owe us some more money.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:25 - Jun 5 with 4138 viewsderbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:31 - Jun 5 by Sakura

This is why we need to sack Andy Belk

Also Ferdinand, as it is them two who are responsible for us not having ever signed a player for a low fee and then sold on for multiples. Despite many 7 figure spends attempts to achieve that

Amos, Dozzell, Dickie, Dykes, their more recent failures costing around £7m between them we will get maybe £3m back

Belk out!!
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 13:32]

We bought Dickie as a 23 yo and he made significant progress for 2 seasons. At one stage we might have sold him for a big profit. And then, his form collapsed, he was clearly unhappy, and we had to sell for whatever we could get.

How is any of that Andy Belk's fault?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:01 - Jun 5 with 4011 viewsSimonD

Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:22 - Jun 4 by Hunterhoop

I haven’t said what you think I’ve said and are insinuating.

I think the Board (really Hoos and Ferdinand) need to explain what the vision is and how we’re going to try to achieve it. That includes a broad summary of how we’re attacking this coming season and what our financial situation is.

Their biggest failing in recent years is that they’ve not sold a vision to the fanbase or explained (and adhered to) our core strategies to achieve them.

There is, and has been since we backed Warburton 24 months ago, no clarity on what type of club we’re trying to be, what sort of team we’re trying to be, and what our objective is. Austin, Johansen, Wallace extension, Martin, Balogun, Adomah extension. Loans of Gray, Hendrick, Lowe. Loans of Laird, Ireogbunam, Roberts.

There is no consistent strategy here.

There was, prior to 24 months ago, and I felt there was clarity of what we were trying to be and how.

The situation we find ourselves in now is different to those before. You and I know that this next season is very hard with the Eze year dropping out of the 3 year rolling period. We have a newish manager who we know is all passion, blood and thunder, high press, but not a possession man. We will likely lose some of our better players this summer. Some fans may think we should be using any funds raised from sales to buy players.

I think the Board/Hoos/Ferdinand need to come out and say what the vision is, how we’re going to try to achieve it (with Ainsworth at the helm) and, in that journey, what that means for next year.

I’m not suggesting they tell all and sundry exactly how much cost we need to remove. Nor do I think it matters too much. All other clubs can see our past accounts, as you know. They can work it out for themselves. They’ll work it out on the open market anyway. It doesn’t matter. Other clubs will know where we are financially already.

What does matter, given the position we find ourselves in, is to have everyone connected with the club pulling in the same direction. Board, Hoos, Ferdinand, Ainsworth, coaches, players, and fans.

You never get everyone pulling in the same direction unless everyone is clear on the vision, strategies and tactics.

So, yeah, I think the Board need to come and explain things. What should we expect next year? How will this help us on our path to achieving the vision. Position this next season in a broader scale. Get people on the bus. Help them understand the broader picture.

If they don’t, people will fill the vacuum with their own ideas. Then everyone is pulling in different directions. At that point you go nowhere fast.

Thanks for your detailed response Hunter and for correcting my misunderstanding of what you meant.

If the club did as you ask, I doubt they’d admit that anything has changed. I suspect it would be on the lines of "We are still looking to progress by raising revenue by selling players at a profit. It is very hard to put a timeline on this due to the collapse of the majority of the Championship transfer market. We are mindful that there is a need to keep the squad as balanced as possible and utilise the loan market to address situations where we either can’t sign a player to fill a need."

I’d be glad if anyone could actually suggest any other viable way of progressing that we, and pretty much the rest of the Football League, could adopt.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:54 - Jun 5 with 3841 viewsHunterhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:01 - Jun 5 by SimonD

Thanks for your detailed response Hunter and for correcting my misunderstanding of what you meant.

If the club did as you ask, I doubt they’d admit that anything has changed. I suspect it would be on the lines of "We are still looking to progress by raising revenue by selling players at a profit. It is very hard to put a timeline on this due to the collapse of the majority of the Championship transfer market. We are mindful that there is a need to keep the squad as balanced as possible and utilise the loan market to address situations where we either can’t sign a player to fill a need."

I’d be glad if anyone could actually suggest any other viable way of progressing that we, and pretty much the rest of the Football League, could adopt.

That’s very much an accountants’ suggestion, Simon!

They need to win hearts, not just minds.

There needs to be a call to arms. They could explain that this season is a very tough one financially in terms of FFP and some tough decisions need to be made, but, things will get easier the season after if we manage this one well. To do that, we need to pull together as an entire club: Board, coaches, players, and fans. We need to punch above our weight. To do that, we will work harder than the opposition. Through teamwork and effort we will be a team you can be proud off. But it won’t always be perfect. We need the fans to get behind the team, support them in the dark moments, and make Loftus Rd a very difficult place to come, and to continue the great support away from home.

They could easily clarify that we expect to be in the bottom 5 clubs in terms of budget for this coming season, to help manage expectations. They’re not giving clubs inside information in that.

And the vision? It isn’t to progress by raising revenue by selling players. That’s not a vision.

The vision is to have a QPR team that gives everything and that the fans can be proud of, helping us progress up the football league. This team will have a balance of experience and youth, skill and defensive nous, but all with passion and workrate. We will be a club that players can develop at and with, not one that spends big money on quick fixes. We will get back to the top half of the top league but it will be hard journey. This won’t happen overnight. But it will happen. We are QPR.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 07:32 - Jun 6 with 3367 viewsSimonD

Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:54 - Jun 5 by Hunterhoop

There needs to be a call to arms. They could explain that this season is a very tough one financially in terms of FFP and some tough decisions need to be made, but, things will get easier the season after if we manage this one well. To do that, we need to pull together as an entire club: Board, coaches, players, and fans. We need to punch above our weight. To do that, we will work harder than the opposition. Through teamwork and effort we will be a team you can be proud off. But it won’t always be perfect. We need the fans to get behind the team, support them in the dark moments, and make Loftus Rd a very difficult place to come, and to continue the great support away from home.

They could easily clarify that we expect to be in the bottom 5 clubs in terms of budget for this coming season, to help manage expectations. They’re not giving clubs inside information in that.

And the vision? It isn’t to progress by raising revenue by selling players. That’s not a vision.

The vision is to have a QPR team that gives everything and that the fans can be proud of, helping us progress up the football league. This team will have a balance of experience and youth, skill and defensive nous, but all with passion and workrate. We will be a club that players can develop at and with, not one that spends big money on quick fixes. We will get back to the top half of the top league but it will be hard journey. This won’t happen overnight. But it will happen. We are QPR.

Ha ha. I’m just reverting to type.

I always think that this sort of message would be met with a very cynical set of responses, but that may just be me applying my own dislike of this onto the whole fan base. I’m very happy to be out of step with the modern-day world in this instance.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:36 - Jun 6 with 3215 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:54 - Jun 5 by Hunterhoop

Nice post mate. I feel quite roused (not aroused for the avoidance of any doubt)

I agree. Expectation is low but other clubs have shown you can compete on a small budget so no reason to assume relegation here.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:05 - Jun 6 with 3101 viewsDWQPR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:25 - Jun 5 by derbyhoop

We bought Dickie as a 23 yo and he made significant progress for 2 seasons. At one stage we might have sold him for a big profit. And then, his form collapsed, he was clearly unhappy, and we had to sell for whatever we could get.

How is any of that Andy Belk's fault?

What can be laid at the door of Andy Belk if how teams like Luton and Ipswich get forwards cheap from the likes of Barnsley and we pay Charlton £2million for Bonne. How we struggle to find a right back whilst Luton, again pick up Amari Bell Free from Blackburn. That Rotherham sign Hugill and we end up with Chris Martin. Whatever his role in recruitment really is I will say that his misses far exceeds his hits.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024