Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Transfer Rumours 16:26 - May 9 with 396467 viewsderbyhoop

As they seem to have started already, this should be an ongoing thread until August

Seny Dieng - Reims who are mid table in Ligue 1 reportedly interested
Conor Masterson - Gillingham, where he spent the 2nd half of the season; are confident of signing him, but Exeter are also interested

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:32 - Jul 11 with 4886 viewsSakura

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:23 - Jul 11 by terryb

A big difference is that City's players can pass the ball & McCarthy's couldn't!

This is true!!

But we are also the absolute worse in the league at defending set pieces so Dunne in at right back will help greatly with that key area
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:38 - Jul 11 with 4853 viewsLongRanger

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:20 - Jul 11 by Sakura

He is right footed, and I think Dunne will play a large chunk of his season at right back.

Guardiola plays mainly with four centre backs, two of them filling full back area . It will increasingly become the trend I reckon (not that Mick McCarthy hasn’t been doing it years earlier but now its becoming more common thanks to Pep)
[Post edited 11 Jul 2023 13:20]

If Dunne plays a large chunk at right back, who will play centre back?
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:03 - Jul 11 with 4691 viewsQPROslo

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:32 - Jul 11 by Sakura

This is true!!

But we are also the absolute worse in the league at defending set pieces so Dunne in at right back will help greatly with that key area

I thought Dunne looked pretty uncomfortable at RB, well off the pace needed. He's a decent CB, the only one we have with some experience playing there and who hasn't been repeatedly out injured, why move him? We need at least 2 more CB's 1 to play with him and the other for when we play 3 at the back or as back up. Plus a better RB than Kakay and a Keeper to replace Dieng.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:21 - Jul 11 with 4568 viewsTheChef

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:03 - Jul 11 by QPROslo

I thought Dunne looked pretty uncomfortable at RB, well off the pace needed. He's a decent CB, the only one we have with some experience playing there and who hasn't been repeatedly out injured, why move him? We need at least 2 more CB's 1 to play with him and the other for when we play 3 at the back or as back up. Plus a better RB than Kakay and a Keeper to replace Dieng.

Er, Jimmy Dunne is not a right back.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:36 - Jul 11 with 4510 viewsderbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:03 - Jul 11 by QPROslo

All on free transfers!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:46 - Jul 11 with 4285 viewsdannyblue

Regan Poole has gone to Portsmouth.

I presume we weren't interested in the end because it would be devestating to think they could put together a better offer than we can.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:13 - Jul 11 with 4150 viewsvanrrrr

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:21 - Jul 11 by TheChef

Er, Jimmy Dunne is not a right back.

Spot on… wholly unsuited.

Plus he has not really progressed at CB since he joined , hopefully he can this year and kick on but moving him about won’t help him or us.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:39 - Jul 11 with 4019 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:13 - Jul 11 by vanrrrr

Spot on… wholly unsuited.

Plus he has not really progressed at CB since he joined , hopefully he can this year and kick on but moving him about won’t help him or us.

Indeed. Dunne fits Ainsworth's requirements for a head it, kick it, block it, no frills CB. Let him do what he can do best.
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:41 - Jul 11 with 4005 viewsdannyblue

And Sean Clare we were linked with has gone to Wigan
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:43 - Jul 11 with 4001 viewsfrancisbowles

He is right footed, and I think Dunne will play a large chunk of his season at right back.

Guardiola plays mainly with four centre backs, two of them filling full back area . It will increasingly become the trend I reckon (not that Mick McCarthy hasn’t been doing it years earlier but now its becoming more common thanks to Pep)

I believe we did it with Luigi de Canio. We sometimes had Delaney at lb, Fitz Hall at rb (I think) and two other six footers in the middle maybe Matt Connolly and Mancienne.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:45 - Jul 11 with 3943 viewsSakura

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:39 - Jul 11 by dmm

Indeed. Dunne fits Ainsworth's requirements for a head it, kick it, block it, no frills CB. Let him do what he can do best.

If you are looking at this as a traditional right back, one that overlaps like Paal does or Laird tried to that's true. But that is a misunderstanding of the role Dunne would be asked to play at right back

What playing a centre back at full back gives you is that the more skilful players in front who you can't rely on to track back can still get in the team

GA showed he likes to play with two strikers. So using Willock as an example at right wing in a 4-4-2 you can have Dunne sitting behind him at right back and not needing to get forward.

It also makes you far stronger on set pieces. A major issue for us for years now.

Also this way if we have a budget for defenders we can now spend that on 2 centre backs and not need to split that same limited budget across 2 CBS and one RB so can get 2 better quality players in which is another plus

Guardiola recent comments on playing 4 centre backs:

“I would say with four central defenders we defend properly in our box,” Guardiola said on the pitch, right after the Champions League final win over Inter Milan ( https://theathletic.com/football/team/inter/). “It’s the biggest step. Now we enjoy defending, and even if we make mistakes I have the feeling that we are defenders.”
So much so that, no, City are not in the market for ‘up and down’ full-backs in this summer’s transfer market after all: the plan for next season is now to
continue with this four centre-backs approach.

https://theathletic.com/4628863/2023/06/30/manchester-city-four-centre-backs/?am
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:50 - Jul 11 with 3901 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:45 - Jul 11 by Sakura

If you are looking at this as a traditional right back, one that overlaps like Paal does or Laird tried to that's true. But that is a misunderstanding of the role Dunne would be asked to play at right back

What playing a centre back at full back gives you is that the more skilful players in front who you can't rely on to track back can still get in the team

GA showed he likes to play with two strikers. So using Willock as an example at right wing in a 4-4-2 you can have Dunne sitting behind him at right back and not needing to get forward.

It also makes you far stronger on set pieces. A major issue for us for years now.

Also this way if we have a budget for defenders we can now spend that on 2 centre backs and not need to split that same limited budget across 2 CBS and one RB so can get 2 better quality players in which is another plus

“I would say with four central defenders we defend properly in our box,” Guardiola said on the pitch, right after the Champions League final win over Inter Milan ( https://theathletic.com/football/team/inter/). “It’s the biggest step. Now we enjoy defending, and even if we make mistakes I have the feeling that we are defenders.”
So much so that, no, City are not in the market for ‘up and down’ full-backs in this summer’s transfer market after all: the plan for next season is now to

https://theathletic.com/4628863/2023/06/30/manchester-city-four-centre-backs/?am

You might be right but I think comparing Guardiola and the quality of players at Citeh with Ainsworth at those at 'umble QPR stretches the point a bit too far.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:37 - Jul 11 with 3688 viewsSakura

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:50 - Jul 11 by dmm

You might be right but I think comparing Guardiola and the quality of players at Citeh with Ainsworth at those at 'umble QPR stretches the point a bit too far.

Obviously I am not comparing the quality

I am explaining the reasoning that yourself and a few other posters misunderstood

“Defending your own box” is a concern that applies at any level of football
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:34 - Jul 11 with 3475 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:37 - Jul 11 by Sakura

Obviously I am not comparing the quality

I am explaining the reasoning that yourself and a few other posters misunderstood

“Defending your own box” is a concern that applies at any level of football

No, I didn't misunderstand but, you most certainly do.

With the possible exception of JCS - if he can last longer than 15 minutes when playing - our CBs simply do not have the ability to play at FB while Citeh's clearly do.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:49 - Jul 11 with 3367 viewsSakura

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:34 - Jul 11 by dmm

No, I didn't misunderstand but, you most certainly do.

With the possible exception of JCS - if he can last longer than 15 minutes when playing - our CBs simply do not have the ability to play at FB while Citeh's clearly do.

Hate to break it to you but we aren’t playing Champions League next year…
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:56 - Jul 11 with 3331 viewsRangersw12

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:45 - Jul 11 by Sakura

442 with Dunne at RB and Willock RM 😂

Might aswell prepare for League 1 now
Summer Transfer Rumours on 19:11 - Jul 11 with 3256 viewsdistortR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:41 - Jul 11 by dannyblue

And Sean Clare we were linked with has gone to Wigan

I get the rationale behind appointing Ainsworth, with tightened purse strings, build a team of cheaper fighters to tide us over til ?.
But.....he has to build a team, and with the perception of our ability and the style of football we'll be playing, it must be a bloody hard sell.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 19:43 - Jul 11 with 3115 viewsdavman

F-me; he is our only sensible choice at CB at the moment - Gubbins way off the standard, JCS, well, apparently there's a pulse there somewhere and Leon is waiting to "prove" his fitness after which he will disappear for 6 months.

No, Jimmy Dunne will NOT be our right back.

Ozzie is OK I think.

By re-signing Drewe, GA has accepted him as back up. He is way, way, way short of the required standard. Should have left him to move on and got another prospect in. HOWEVER, now 's been signed, that has to be it - Kakay and Drewe for the season; we cannot afford THREE RBs, can we?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 19:45 - Jul 11 with 3093 viewsdavman

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:56 - Jul 11 by Rangersw12

442 with Dunne at RB and Willock RM 😂

Might aswell prepare for League 1 now

To be fair, we are, aren't we?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 19:51 - Jul 11 with 3055 viewsDorse

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:49 - Jul 11 by Sakura

Fuxache. Ainsworth out!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Summer Transfer Rumours on 07:38 - Jul 12 with 2550 viewsDannyPaddox

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:49 - Jul 11 by Sakura

It’s a tough ask but an early goal against Slavia Prague in the return leg and it’s game on. We can still qualify.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:39 - Jul 12 with 2302 viewsderbyhoop

Balogun gone. May be going back to Grangers, as cover for their injured CB.
That leaves us with Dunne, the perma injured JCS and Gubbins.
Unless DeonWoodman steps up rapidly, we're very short.

WLS stating Begovic will sign as Seny's replacement.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:46 - Jul 12 with 2280 viewsSL5_Hoop

Believe that Forino from Wycombe is coming in soon along with Wing
Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:58 - Jul 12 with 2200 viewsstevec

Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:46 - Jul 12 by SL5_Hoop

Believe that Forino from Wycombe is coming in soon along with Wing

Sounds like GA is casting his net far and wide.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 10:12 - Jul 12 with 2161 viewsSL5_Hoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:58 - Jul 12 by stevec

Sounds like GA is casting his net far and wide.

Agree but similar to warnock bringing in Derry and Hill, Im not saying these two will have the same impact but all managers will bring in people who they know and characters they can trust i guess
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024