Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Transfer Rumours 16:26 - May 9 with 396456 viewsderbyhoop

As they seem to have started already, this should be an ongoing thread until August

Seny Dieng - Reims who are mid table in Ligue 1 reportedly interested
Conor Masterson - Gillingham, where he spent the 2nd half of the season; are confident of signing him, but Exeter are also interested

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:38 - Aug 3 with 6882 viewsderbyhoop

Aden Flint heading to Mansfield Town. QPR dodging a bullet.
Dillon de Silva, released in June, going back to Torquay on a permanent deal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:43 - Aug 3 with 6812 viewswombat

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:38 - Aug 3 by derbyhoop

Aden Flint heading to Mansfield Town. QPR dodging a bullet.
Dillon de Silva, released in June, going back to Torquay on a permanent deal.

so its cook prob and mabye forino or the peterbrough lad or all three

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:02 - Aug 3 with 6665 viewsbosh67

Surely we have to be looking at some kind of striker as well in this window, remembering that our former goalkeeper had a better scoring record than Armstrong. Not saying he won't come right but surely we need someone with some record?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:56 - Aug 3 with 6390 viewsHayesender

Surley I can't be the only one slightly concerned we don't seem to have been linked with a right back, and Ossie Kakay, for all his heart, has been given the number 2 shirt?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:06 - Aug 3 with 6297 viewsNorthernr

Summer Transfer Rumours on 14:56 - Aug 3 by Hayesender

Surley I can't be the only one slightly concerned we don't seem to have been linked with a right back, and Ossie Kakay, for all his heart, has been given the number 2 shirt?

I think there's a couple of things going on currently, both linked to how limited the FFP headroom is.

1 - we've got prioritise, and I think it's fair to say CM and CB are probably those priorities given the quantity and quality of our options there. RB and CF (which should be a priority but they're expensive) can just be done on loan, but you tend to have to wait to see what the Premier League squads look like before you find out who you can get. Drewe's not quite at the level obvs, so I suspect they will get a RB, maybe a loan again.

2 - We're probably waiting to see if we can sell somebody else to free up some budget. They were very insistent they never offered a deal to Wing, but like I say unless you put a physical piece of paper in front of a guy you can legitimately say you never offered him a deal. There was obviously a discussion there at some level, just as there has been with Colback, Begovic, Flint, Ayala, Forino, Knight and loads of others. ATM we don't have the budget, but were we to sell somebody else then perhaps it would open up those possibilities. These players will also be talking to other clubs and weighing options up of course.

The bit I'm actually most interested in is Ainsworth has spoken a couple of times about his knowledge of the lower divisions, and hinted we'd be using that in his signings. I was actually quite looking forward to a bit of that, seeing if we could pick up a BOS type. But apart from Smyth, who was obviously here before, we've just gone for ageing big names everybody has heard of. You don't need a recruitment department, data analytics, and Gaz's ten years in League One to spot Jack Colback do you? I'm more encouraged by the sort of Wing, Knight, Forino deals, I want to hear and see more of that. I get we're short of experience and voice and that's fine, you've got Colback and Begovic I see the need, another one at centre back maybe. But I'm surprised we haven't seen that other aspect to it so far, and there have been one or two moving about - the Notts County lad who was brilliant against us at the weekend, Wing - who I would have quite liked. Again, perhaps it's a we have to sell to buy thing.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:49 - Aug 3 with 6041 viewsjohnhoop

Without repeating your post Clive, I think the disappointing thing about point three is that I too was hoping Ainswworth’s many years experience of the lower divisions would have resulted in useful, promising players being recruited from Leagues 1 and 2.
But, so far, with the recruitment of Paul Smyth and the interest in Wing, Knight and Forino, we don’t seem to be looking any further than Wycombe or ex-Wycombe players.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 15:49]
Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:52 - Aug 3 with 5992 viewsrobith

Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:06 - Aug 3 by Northernr

I think there's a couple of things going on currently, both linked to how limited the FFP headroom is.

1 - we've got prioritise, and I think it's fair to say CM and CB are probably those priorities given the quantity and quality of our options there. RB and CF (which should be a priority but they're expensive) can just be done on loan, but you tend to have to wait to see what the Premier League squads look like before you find out who you can get. Drewe's not quite at the level obvs, so I suspect they will get a RB, maybe a loan again.

2 - We're probably waiting to see if we can sell somebody else to free up some budget. They were very insistent they never offered a deal to Wing, but like I say unless you put a physical piece of paper in front of a guy you can legitimately say you never offered him a deal. There was obviously a discussion there at some level, just as there has been with Colback, Begovic, Flint, Ayala, Forino, Knight and loads of others. ATM we don't have the budget, but were we to sell somebody else then perhaps it would open up those possibilities. These players will also be talking to other clubs and weighing options up of course.

The bit I'm actually most interested in is Ainsworth has spoken a couple of times about his knowledge of the lower divisions, and hinted we'd be using that in his signings. I was actually quite looking forward to a bit of that, seeing if we could pick up a BOS type. But apart from Smyth, who was obviously here before, we've just gone for ageing big names everybody has heard of. You don't need a recruitment department, data analytics, and Gaz's ten years in League One to spot Jack Colback do you? I'm more encouraged by the sort of Wing, Knight, Forino deals, I want to hear and see more of that. I get we're short of experience and voice and that's fine, you've got Colback and Begovic I see the need, another one at centre back maybe. But I'm surprised we haven't seen that other aspect to it so far, and there have been one or two moving about - the Notts County lad who was brilliant against us at the weekend, Wing - who I would have quite liked. Again, perhaps it's a we have to sell to buy thing.

I would agree, and concur with your final assessment. Pretty much everyone we've brought in has been without a transfer fee, am I right in saying? Would love us to sell Willock even for like £2m at this point to see the damage we could do with it
Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:41 - Aug 3 with 5764 viewsHayesender

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-could-re

Gulp!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:15 - Aug 3 with 5589 viewsCFW

Was wondering Clive on your view on this? - lots of stuff reported in the press recently in connection to the Saudi Pro League offering stupid money to anyone and everyone the feeling is that it is only a matter of time before the whole FFP debacle is kicked into touch.

So perhaps all we need to do is hang on in for this coming season and all this can't spend any money goes away. Obviously then it is up to the owners how much of their money they wish to spend/invest.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:20 - Aug 3 with 5532 viewsNorthernr

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:15 - Aug 3 by CFW

Was wondering Clive on your view on this? - lots of stuff reported in the press recently in connection to the Saudi Pro League offering stupid money to anyone and everyone the feeling is that it is only a matter of time before the whole FFP debacle is kicked into touch.

So perhaps all we need to do is hang on in for this coming season and all this can't spend any money goes away. Obviously then it is up to the owners how much of their money they wish to spend/invest.

Well in time I don't see how FFP continues medium term. Because you're just going to see Saudi, Qatar etc having a club over there, an investment over here, and what's gone on at watford for ten years occurring on an absolutely stratospheric scale which will just render the whole thing pointless. When you look at what they're talking about giving Mbappe for one year it's not unthinkable that a £1bn transfer isn't far away now.

Ian Holloway called it ten years ago with the Pozzos and Watford, it's a totally unfair advantage and it shouldn't have been allowed. Great chance to nip it in the bud there, and they just turned a blind eye because it's only Watford/Udinese and it's only modest sums - Watford incidentally have just completed a 69th transaction with Udinese, 59 of which undisclosed or loans.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:25 - Aug 3 with 5481 viewsDubaiR

Out of the 5 so far, 3 experience heads and 2 in the development bracket.

If we got one more experienced head and 2 development would suggest that’s a good mix
Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:59 - Aug 3 with 5291 views1JD

There was a list of decent out of contract players in league 1 and 2 at the start of the summer. Players Ainsworth alluded to he knew about, and was interested in. But it looks to me like these players have decided to go elsewhere. All we have to show for it is Smyth - our former player.

If they are any good, and out of contract, they are going to have had options. But it appears we are not the chosen option. As already suggested by a few folks, perhaps Ainsworth is just not an attractive proposition to a league 1 or 2 footballer who is looking to develop his career to the next level. After all, they know exactly what he is about - for better or for worst
Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:22 - Aug 3 with 4809 viewsLongRanger

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:59 - Aug 3 by 1JD

There was a list of decent out of contract players in league 1 and 2 at the start of the summer. Players Ainsworth alluded to he knew about, and was interested in. But it looks to me like these players have decided to go elsewhere. All we have to show for it is Smyth - our former player.

If they are any good, and out of contract, they are going to have had options. But it appears we are not the chosen option. As already suggested by a few folks, perhaps Ainsworth is just not an attractive proposition to a league 1 or 2 footballer who is looking to develop his career to the next level. After all, they know exactly what he is about - for better or for worst

…Or sadly they don’t have confidence he’ll be here in 6 months. No sane player joins us for the manager, they’re not here long enough.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:52 - Aug 3 with 4715 viewsaston_hoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:20 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Well in time I don't see how FFP continues medium term. Because you're just going to see Saudi, Qatar etc having a club over there, an investment over here, and what's gone on at watford for ten years occurring on an absolutely stratospheric scale which will just render the whole thing pointless. When you look at what they're talking about giving Mbappe for one year it's not unthinkable that a £1bn transfer isn't far away now.

Ian Holloway called it ten years ago with the Pozzos and Watford, it's a totally unfair advantage and it shouldn't have been allowed. Great chance to nip it in the bud there, and they just turned a blind eye because it's only Watford/Udinese and it's only modest sums - Watford incidentally have just completed a 69th transaction with Udinese, 59 of which undisclosed or loans.

The thought of Holloway as that Scientist at the start of every disaster movie who warns everyone of the bad things that will happen but gets ignored has amused me

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 23:28 - Aug 3 with 4561 viewsWatford_Ranger

Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:22 - Aug 3 by LongRanger

…Or sadly they don’t have confidence he’ll be here in 6 months. No sane player joins us for the manager, they’re not here long enough.

Some insane players are probably what we need.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:23 - Aug 4 with 4275 viewsbosh67

Glen Rea being let go by Luton. Defensive midfielder. Good at this level. Freeman also being let go.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:34 - Aug 4 with 4209 viewswombat

Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:23 - Aug 4 by bosh67

Glen Rea being let go by Luton. Defensive midfielder. Good at this level. Freeman also being let go.

would happliy take freeman back on years deal as cover

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:51 - Aug 4 with 4120 viewstoboboly

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:59 - Aug 3 by 1JD

Or we can't afford them, which is a far more plausible explanation.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 09:57 - Aug 4 with 3850 viewsterryb

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:25 - Aug 3 by DubaiR

Out of the 5 so far, 3 experience heads and 2 in the development bracket.

If we got one more experienced head and 2 development would suggest that’s a good mix

Paul Smyth is 26 in Setember.

I wouldn't have thought that he was still in the development bracket.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:26 - Aug 4 with 3303 viewsDubaiR

Well, a good season or two and would be sold at a profit is what I meant by development.

The buy cheap sell high isn’t solely applicable to 18/19/20 year olds
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:32 - Aug 4 with 3272 viewsdistortR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:51 - Aug 4 by toboboly

Or we can't afford them, which is a far more plausible explanation.

The agent fella who sometimes posts on here said he knew of an agent telling his players not to come to us.
We've also put ourselves in a position where everyone knows how desperate for bodies we are, not a great place to be negotiating wages/contracts from.
So probably a mixture of reasons we're struggling to get our transfer targets,
Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:45 - Aug 4 with 3200 viewsDavieQPR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 08:34 - Aug 4 by wombat

would happliy take freeman back on years deal as cover

You must start judging players on what they are and not what they were. As for Glen Rea I knew his brother Dai and he was cr^p.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:31 - Aug 4 with 2825 viewsWatford_Ranger

Saw Charlie Owens has been taken on by the mighty Borehamwood. Their fans seem excited. Good luck to him.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 23:25 - Aug 4 with 2497 viewsLongsufferingR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:45 - Aug 4 by DavieQPR

You must start judging players on what they are and not what they were. As for Glen Rea I knew his brother Dai and he was cr^p.

Yes, his other brother Chris wouldn't come here either as he knows where this road is taking us
Summer Transfer Rumours on 23:30 - Aug 4 with 2469 viewsLongsufferingR

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:45 - Aug 4 by DavieQPR

He refused to sign for Arsenal apparently as he didn't want to be called Gunner Rea
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024