Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? 07:18 - May 11 with 8351 viewsRs_Holy

I'm in the market for a new BBQ and my friends and family are totally divided on the best way forward.
I've got some peeps going on about the convenience of gas and the another sizable lot saying that charcoal gives a better taste to the food. I've also been shown a hybrid BBQ which does gas and/or charcoal (but those ones are VERY expensive).
Just wondering what the Loft For Words faithful thought on the matter and if you have any preferences for make and model? ... Cheers RH
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:41 - May 11 with 4883 viewsdistortR

The carbon footprint of these BBQ's cannot be overstated. I have a new solar one. It takes a bit longer to cook the food - focussing the sun on the food with a large magnifying glass is time consuming, especially as I live on an island in the Irish sea - but my conscience is intact.

Hope that helps.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:45 - May 11 with 4876 viewsRs_Holy

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:41 - May 11 by distortR

The carbon footprint of these BBQ's cannot be overstated. I have a new solar one. It takes a bit longer to cook the food - focussing the sun on the food with a large magnifying glass is time consuming, especially as I live on an island in the Irish sea - but my conscience is intact.

Hope that helps.

Cheers DR!... didn't know such a thing existed!
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:46 - May 11 with 4873 viewssupahoopsa

I guess it depends on how often you BBQ. For me, it's only once in a while, so I have a charcoal BBQ, but it's not what you would call convenient as it takes 30 to 40 minutes to get ready to cook. Therefore spontaneous BBQs are out of the question. I like the charcoal flavour, but I think it's harder to cook using charcoal as you don't really have any control over the heat, you need to be constantly turning the food to prevent burning it.

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:47 - May 11 with 4869 viewsBluce_Ree

Honestly, I quite like the look of the Ninja Woodfire Outdoor grill thing. It's essentially an outdoor air fryer with a compartment for smoking pellets. Looks like it'll take all the faff out of the process but you probably need to hand in your man card if you use it.

Thing is, charcoal takes forever and gas is some 'ready to explode in your face' fake oven bullshit.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:49 - May 11 with 4865 viewsdistortR

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:45 - May 11 by Rs_Holy

Cheers DR!... didn't know such a thing existed!

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:54 - May 11 with 4852 viewsChrisNW6

Had a gas Outback 3 burner for about 10yrs which was great and super convenient. I then bought a Weber kettle to sit alongside which became my go to BBQ. Food tasted and cooked much better, always with the lid closed. Get a decent firestarter kit and you can be ready to cook in minutes.

I've since upgraded to a Kamado egg and it's taken everything to a new level. Very expensive hobby 😂 outdoor cooking but slow cooking and smoking can all be done on an affordable Weber Kettle.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:00 - May 11 with 4834 viewsjoe90

Charcoal.

We recently bought a 'Louts Grill'. Will report back.

My neighbour has some sort of smoker oven and everything he makes smells amazing.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 9:37]
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:01 - May 11 with 4833 viewswombat

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:54 - May 11 by ChrisNW6

Had a gas Outback 3 burner for about 10yrs which was great and super convenient. I then bought a Weber kettle to sit alongside which became my go to BBQ. Food tasted and cooked much better, always with the lid closed. Get a decent firestarter kit and you can be ready to cook in minutes.

I've since upgraded to a Kamado egg and it's taken everything to a new level. Very expensive hobby 😂 outdoor cooking but slow cooking and smoking can all be done on an affordable Weber Kettle.

gas for me , easy to come home fire if up and cook in ten mins , not the same taste but if ive got time for a proper cook i can always add a fire box with wood chips to get the smoky flavour , but for a mied week cook of a coupe of steaks its gas for me

same for the ooni pizza overn went gas not charcoal and i can be eating a fessh cooked pizza in around 20 mins from firing it up , the wastline isnt enjoying it so much but i am

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:54 - May 11 with 4760 viewsR_from_afar

If you want to consider a greener option, the Weber Q2400 Electric Barbecue might be a contender.

I have never owned a BBQ, by the way, but this thread got me wondering if there was a greener alternative to gas or charcoal, so I asked the tree planting search engine, Ecosia.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:09 - May 11 with 4734 viewspeterlund_dk

A couple of years ago, I had both a Weber charcoal and a Weber gas grill. For normal use, I only used the gas grill because of the convenience factor.

The charcoal grill was essentially only used for making duck/turkey for Christmas.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:29 - May 11 with 4709 viewsMonkey_Roots

Man make fire.

Then man drinks beer while watching fire.

Man then cooks meat on fire.

Women use gas.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:39 - May 11 with 4686 viewsrobith

If you don't have charcoal, you have an outdoor oven.

I have a weber kettle which is great for your general grilling and short term smoking (love a beer can chicken). My mate donated his smoker when he moved so will be trying that out this summer. Think it's quite cheap so will be a nightmare to temperature control.

I'm getting a little JOY stove for impromptu grills

https://shop.londonlogco.com/collections/joystoves/products/joy-stove-medium

A chimney starter is great if you want to get moving quicker

Best value out there though is Aldi's big green egg dupe

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq/p/710081596330401

I also order restaurant grade charcoal online from Big K. 25KG bag lasted me 2 summers, and while they're tricky to light the long compressed briqueetes with a hole in the middle burn forever
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:19 - May 11 with 4607 viewsToast_R

Charcoal every day. If your going to use Gas you might as well drag your cooker outside.

I built myself a Brick BBQ a few years ago which was great but I then bought a Weber Kettle and it really is a game changer. I do use the brick one occasionally if I have lots of people over with kids who like burgers (I hate BBQ'ing burgers they ruin the coals) and the Weber does all my decent food, joints of meat, chickens, Steaks (always reverse sear)- wonderful. I have a new South African supermarket opened up near me and their meat is sensational.

I buy my charcoal in bulk in the Winter when it's cheaper. The 12KG bags from Homefire.co.uk.
For those who reckon coal is a longer process, buy a Coal Chimney; only £10 or so and another game changer. For me its getting outside and relaxing away from the noise. Nothing is better than a few beers in the sun with some great chow while you've got your beef short rib cooking slowly for the grand finale.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:19 - May 11 with 4605 viewsRs_Holy

thanks for all the advice chaps... I'm probably more confused than I was a few hours ago but its really good to see al the options/alternatives... I will purchase something in a week or 2.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:21 - May 11 with 4601 viewsTheChef

Charcoal all the way, bebe.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:59 - May 11 with 4539 viewsRamseyR

Don't listen to the charcoal snobs...gas all the way for me.

You might sacrifice a little on taste, but having a BBQ is about being outside, having a beer, and thinking of the garden as a different room in the house, and any taste difference (subjective) is easily offset. It's all about the experience.

It's more controllable, quicker cleaner and because they're so easy to use, you use it more. Always buy one slightly bigger than you think you need, and buy your gas in the big 13kg cannisters.

We've got a John Lewis BBQ with side ring for doing the onions. Look after it in the winter...bring it indoors if possible...give it a misting with WD40 or similar and they last a good few years. Get stainless steel burners if you can, as they're the bits that always rust out
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:20 - May 11 with 4429 viewslarsricchi

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 07:47 - May 11 by Bluce_Ree

Honestly, I quite like the look of the Ninja Woodfire Outdoor grill thing. It's essentially an outdoor air fryer with a compartment for smoking pellets. Looks like it'll take all the faff out of the process but you probably need to hand in your man card if you use it.

Thing is, charcoal takes forever and gas is some 'ready to explode in your face' fake oven bullshit.

I was Team Charcoal for years. Switched to gas as life got more hectic with kid’s activities, more work responsibilities, etc. But last year, I bought a Traeger wood pellet unit, and my food has never tasted better and my effort levels have rarely been lower. I’ve happily turned in my man card
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:24 - May 11 with 4415 viewsSuperhoops2808

Got this last year...

Cant beat Charcoal for genuine flame grilled in my opinion

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/10293/landmann-10293-broiler-barbecue
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:27 - May 11 with 4408 viewsSimonJames

I have both in the shed.
Only ever get the charcoal one out. But I use coconut shell charcoal briquettes.

100% of people who drink water will die.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:42 - May 11 with 4387 viewsrobith

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:27 - May 11 by SimonJames

I have both in the shed.
Only ever get the charcoal one out. But I use coconut shell charcoal briquettes.

Got some coconut shell ones last year, good stuff imo
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:43 - May 11 with 4384 viewsBoston

Started with charcoal, changed to gas, upgraded to a real swanky gas. Got rid of them. Don't know what the fuss is about.

But, I have a good kitchen.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:58 - May 11 with 4356 viewsRBlock

No point in a gas BBQ. Might as well just use the hob. No point in spending loads of money on something that's not going to really enhance the flavour of the meat just to be outside. Sure, it's convenient, but you won't appreciate the end product the same.

There are ways to make a charcoal BBQ more convenient (getting a chimney or two for faster lighting is a big one), but the flavour is unrivalled. You've also got the ability to slowly smoke meats like a brisket for a few hours, which is great. Sat there tending the fire for 6 hours as your dinner slowly cooks away. Jeff is the ultimate authority on these things, but Charcoal definitely the way to go.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 16:45 - May 11 with 4264 viewsMick_S

Charcoal all day, with a couple of strips of good old log added. I looked at the hybrids for the midweek convenience (using wood pellet boxes for flavour) but came to the conclusion that the burning area was far too close to the grilling plates, so didn’t bother.

Do NOT buy cheap charcoal. It stinks and puts a pea Souper over the garden.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 16:46]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:09 - May 11 with 4242 viewsLblock

I’m firmly in the gas camp.

Get a smoker box and some aged oak wood chips and you’re away.

I use mine all the time when weather allows.
Weekends I’ll do a full cooked breakfast using a huge skillet pan on the side burner.
All about being outside, cracking open a beer and Release Radio as the music backdrop to incinerating meat etc.

The charcoal posse who say the meat tastes different mean it’s burnt different (with steak anyway) as a decent cut of beef should taste spot on if cooked right no matter the heat source. If it’s a Smokey tang you crave then as I said get a smoker box

Gas for me is:-
Convenient
Total control
Cleaner
Cheaper
Quicker (if you want)
More social - you can confidently leave the grill if you’ve got control
Flexible if you’ve got the burners - I cook using zones so different meats can be done and different cook preferences hit
Tastes great

Im using an Outback seven burner beast at the moment with the added fun feature of a rotisserie bar if mood takes me. It’s a stainless steel piece of wonderment and I love it.
This thread will inspire me to clean it down and get it ready for use this weekend

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:56 - May 11 with 4201 viewsBlackCrowe

Charcoal - you wont' get real bbq flavour from gas. Gas, you may as well cook in the kitchen.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024