Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dickie off 11:08 - Jun 5 with 25228 viewswesty

Apparently having a medical at Bristol City today. Talks of around £1m. I know he’s struggled but that is not a great amount. Hopefully have a % sell on clause just in case he finds some form.
Dickie off on 20:28 - Jun 5 with 3002 viewsjeffranger

Undisclosed so can stop guessing at fee paid
Dickie off on 20:31 - Jun 5 with 2970 viewsAntti_Heinola

Dickie off on 19:02 - Jun 5 by Burnleyhoop

Our ability to play out from the back disappeared long ago. Our attempts at doing so was farcical for most of last season. If you haven’t got the players to bring it out from the back, or the midfield capable of receiving it without immediately conceding possession, what is the point?

If playing more “direct” means no faffing at the back like rank amateurs and reduces our goals against column to less than 50, I’m all for it.

Couldn’t disagree more. Years ago i was the same ‘defenders should defend, that’s all i want’ - but it’s a silly limitation. Good teams rely on players who can pass a football, and that now includes keepers, not just defenders. As a stopgap in desperation mode, fine. But you won’t get far as a club at this level making that your MO.

Still, then you’ve got Benny the Ball who seems to think Alan McDonald couldn’t pass a ball and says fans would be happy with another one. What, a top flight standard centre half who captained his country and got over 50 caps? Yeah i think we all effing accept that mate. Macca might have been uncompromising and a winner, but to imply that’s all he was is laughable.

Bare bones.

Dickie off on 20:34 - Jun 5 with 2943 viewsactonman

You know what , if you take away the goals when he first arrived , a colossus performance at burnley and the odd decent game in between , was he all that ?
Lack of pace you can get away with if you’re a big horrible bstard at the back with leadership skills but he always looked like he’d been told off by his mum when we conceded a goal

In all honesty , when we play brizzle next , I won’t be too worried about his presence in either penalty box although any goals he does score next season will likely be against us but that’s the way it is
Good luck rob and well done to the coaching / development / director of football and all behind the scenes that have turned his signing and sell on into another sh!tshow
Dickie off on 20:34 - Jun 5 with 2935 viewsLblock

Not read the whole thread but now Dickie has swung off.

Can anyone confirm these rumours that it was him in boozers bad mouthing Ainsworth etc, etc?

If so it explains why he's the first cab off the rank and at a possible loss

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dickie off on 20:35 - Jun 5 with 2930 viewsHooparoo

Dickie off on 20:28 - Jun 5 by jeffranger

Any fee is better than nothing if he wouldn’t sign a new contract. A million quid isn’t that much anymore.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Dickie off on 20:39 - Jun 5 with 2863 viewsridethewave

Dickie off on 19:17 - Jun 5 by Benny_the_Ball

Agree. Too much emphasis these days being put on ball playing defenders when realistically most would be delighted with another Alan Macdonald.

The reason so much emphasis is placed on ball-playing centre half’s, is because they’re the ones who go for big money and/or to the premier league. As a club that is desperately needing to develop and sell players, the game has long loved on from your typical centre half who can’t pass a ball.
Dickie off on 20:54 - Jun 5 with 2700 viewscalHoop

Ball playing centre half? Was I watching a different player the last season and a half when he was shanking balls out into the stands both ways, or playing leg breaking half hit passes into Sam field. We are the greatest set of fans at rewriting history.
Dickie off on 21:05 - Jun 5 with 2593 viewsjoolsyp

At least he's smiling in these photos. For most of this season he looked like he was about to burst into tears, on and off the pitch.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-sign-dickie/

I wish him good luck as long as it doesn't involve 30-yarders and goal-saving blocks when they play us.
Login to get fewer ads

Dickie off on 21:13 - Jun 5 with 2532 viewsqpr1976

Dickie off on 20:34 - Jun 5 by Lblock

Not read the whole thread but now Dickie has swung off.

Can anyone confirm these rumours that it was him in boozers bad mouthing Ainsworth etc, etc?

If so it explains why he's the first cab off the rank and at a possible loss

If that’s true (not saying it isn’t) but why would Gareth continue to select him ?
There were options.
Dickie off on 21:38 - Jun 5 with 2358 viewskensalriser

Dickie off on 20:28 - Jun 5 by jeffranger

That won't stop numerous people quoting the fee with full confidence for the next several years.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Dickie off on 21:39 - Jun 5 with 2348 viewsLoyalitat

Dickie off on 20:31 - Jun 5 by Antti_Heinola

Couldn’t disagree more. Years ago i was the same ‘defenders should defend, that’s all i want’ - but it’s a silly limitation. Good teams rely on players who can pass a football, and that now includes keepers, not just defenders. As a stopgap in desperation mode, fine. But you won’t get far as a club at this level making that your MO.

Still, then you’ve got Benny the Ball who seems to think Alan McDonald couldn’t pass a ball and says fans would be happy with another one. What, a top flight standard centre half who captained his country and got over 50 caps? Yeah i think we all effing accept that mate. Macca might have been uncompromising and a winner, but to imply that’s all he was is laughable.

Agree with every word. We won't go very far at this level if that is our modus operandi.

Macca could play a bit too. You don't play top-flight football for as long as he did by just launching it.
Dickie off on 21:45 - Jun 5 with 2296 viewsPaddyhoops

Expect him to be the first of many out the door. On his current form he’s been dreadful this season . Hasn’t helped having two fit centre half’s for most of the season . No competition for places and two centre half getting battered week after week with no respite and no chance of getting out of the firing line.
Hats off to both him and Dunne who showed up week after week unlike the other two who had so called “muscle” injuries
When he shows up next season with Brizzle he deserves our appreciation.
Dickie off on 21:52 - Jun 5 with 2238 viewsnadera78

Dickie off on 12:46 - Jun 5 by supahoopsa

I think this is a mistake and we should persevere with Rob. Unfortunately this tells me more about the direction the team is going in, no more playing our fromthe back, more hoooooof

How can you persevere with someone who has 1 year left on his contract? The club's skint, we can't afford to let players leave on free transfers.
Dickie off on 22:11 - Jun 5 with 2136 viewsLazyFan

I think he will be a backup at Brizzle, and for £700K backup CB in the champ, that's about right.

In my view, he is not as dominant in the air as Dunne and not fast on the ground. While he can pass, I think it's his defending that was suspect and with confidence gone, that started to get exposed a lot. Also, lack of goals contribution and I think he's defo a failure for us in every way.

I am not okay we are in this position, I am okay now we are here are cutting our losses before he goes for zero. But really we should have identified this earlier and got shot of him to Wet Spam, remember all those £5m stories? Those look well stupid now.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dickie off on 22:35 - Jun 5 with 2011 viewsconnell10

God our stock has fallen , even below Bristol City now.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Dickie off on 22:58 - Jun 5 with 1849 viewsted_hendrix

I have a large bout of indifference.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Dickie off on 23:05 - Jun 5 with 1807 viewsManinBlack

Let me be clear if I wasn't before, I want the whole lot of them out so I will not lose any sleep ditching the losers.
Dickie off on 23:06 - Jun 5 with 1805 viewslave16

Dickie off on 22:58 - Jun 5 by ted_hendrix

Good move for both club and player. Good luck Rob.

Never hid always showed up -he didn't fit in Beale's plans and that destroyed his confidence playing and more a less looking over his shoulder - when the next CD is fit I'm on the bench no matter how he played and the fans on his back also. Maybe fell into the trying to hard to impress so not getting into a rhythm of doing what he's good at. New environment new coaching we'll a better Rob next year. Unfortunately not here.

For us it's 1 million or there abouts as opposed to nothing. At least we get a fee.

For both club and Rob this is ok result that could have been so much better for both.

Best of luck in Bristol Rob.

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Dickie off on 23:07 - Jun 5 with 1788 viewsqpr_1968

does it make any difference.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Dickie off on 23:39 - Jun 5 with 1656 viewsQPROslo

Dickie off on 23:07 - Jun 5 by qpr_1968

does it make any difference.

We'll need to find another CB (or really 2, JCS injury restricted and Balogun gone) for less than we got for Dickie.
Dickie off on 23:42 - Jun 5 with 1651 views100percent

Dickie off on 22:58 - Jun 5 by ted_hendrix

I too, share a large menagerie of disdain......
Dickie off on 00:39 - Jun 6 with 1535 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 20:31 - Jun 5 by Antti_Heinola

What's laughable, pal, is your lack of understanding of basic English. I said that most fans would settle for a defender in his vein, i.e. a no nonsense leader who instinctively knew when it was time to bring the ball down and play, and when it was time to send it into row Z. He did not try to play out from the back at every opportunity. If you interpret that as "Alan McDonald couldn't pass a ball" then more fool you.

Frankly, far too managers try to copy Man City's style when they don't have the budget or the players to do it. The result? Lots of gaffes and goals conceded. I, for one, will welcome some balance and pragmatism in this area because you certainly won't get far at this level conceding 70+ goals every season.
Dickie off on 00:49 - Jun 6 with 1528 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Dickie off on 21:05 - Jun 5 by joolsyp

At least he's smiling in these photos. For most of this season he looked like he was about to burst into tears, on and off the pitch.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-sign-dickie/

I wish him good luck as long as it doesn't involve 30-yarders and goal-saving blocks when they play us.

Thanks for posting I watched his interview and he seems happy .Just got married last weekend so that helps too lol.
Best of luck to him I always liked him but bullshitter Beale dropped him from day one and it was over for him then
Dickie off on 01:01 - Jun 6 with 1506 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 20:39 - Jun 5 by ridethewave

The reason so much emphasis is placed on ball-playing centre half’s, is because they’re the ones who go for big money and/or to the premier league. As a club that is desperately needing to develop and sell players, the game has long loved on from your typical centre half who can’t pass a ball.

I wouldn't say that it was typical. Most defenders of yester-year could pick a pass but they picked their moments. Moreover, a long pass is still a pass and, when executed correctly (move aside Joey Barton), is highly effective. It's the modern managers who are obsessed with playing out from the back, sometimes prioritising passing skill over defensive capabilities. Alexander-Arnold is probably the most high profile example. A great player going forward with an eye for a pass but naïve defensively. Realistically we can't afford players who can do both to a high level so if there is a sacrifice to be made, I'd rather a defender who can defend first and foremost. Anything else is a bonus.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 1:09]
Dickie off on 01:03 - Jun 6 with 1503 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 19:31 - Jun 5 by BerkoRanger

And agree with the last two posters. As I said elsewhere, Man City's first goal was rather excellent.

And therein lies the irony. When other managers started to copy Man City, Guardiola went a little old school by buying Haaland. Man City's first goal in the FA Cup Final was as direct as it comes but still a thing of beauty. I certainly won't be complaining if QPR score similar goals after 13 seconds.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 1:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024