Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dickie off 11:08 - Jun 5 with 25231 viewswesty

Apparently having a medical at Bristol City today. Talks of around £1m. I know he’s struggled but that is not a great amount. Hopefully have a % sell on clause just in case he finds some form.
Dickie off on 19:03 - Jun 6 with 3102 viewsderbyhoop

Dickie off on 23:39 - Jun 5 by QPROslo

We'll need to find another CB (or really 2, JCS injury restricted and Balogun gone) for less than we got for Dickie.

You mean a CB pairing of Dunne and JCS will not be enough?

Still we have Gubbins and Woodman as backup.
What could possibly go wrong?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dickie off on 23:57 - Jun 7 with 2558 viewsDejR_vu

Dickie off on 14:17 - Jun 6 by Hunterhoop

It’s very hard though, Clive.

If you sign players on the 3+1 yr option (ours), you need to renew them after 2 seasons. At that point you’re likely needing to offer an increase in salary, which, if we’re doing this to multiple players impacts your budget an FFP.

To afford those increases, you have to allow some players to walk and replace them with cheaper (to fund the increase in the retained staff). It’s a difficult balancing act.

If you sign players on 3 year deals only (or shorter), you’re stuffed. To avoid the situation you’re referring to, Clive, you’d have to renew after 1 season. At that point you may not want to tie yourself to X more years of an unproven player. Equally, that’s only one season on the original terms followed by more on increased terms (to get them to extend). You simply can’t do this for everyone as your wage bill in total rockets). You have to make bets.

Clearly the club have made bad mistakes, so not defending them. I just thing the financial position each summer isn’t such that we can just increase the salaries of a handful of first teamers half way through their deals to get them to stay. It’s only possible if you have a load of contracts expiring that you replace for cheaper to free up funds, and even then probably only possible by shrinking the squad in total. Players don’t renew for the same money.

The issue we have - where we go wrong is two fold:

1) we don’t sell players when we should, financially, and with the club’s long term health in mind, not just next season. Dickie should have been sold in the Aug of his second season. Warburton would have gone spare and probably resigned, but that was the time. In great form, no contract end in sight. Prem clubs enquiring. Willock should have gone in Jan last season, but with us 3rd, how would fans and Warburton reacted? Chair MUST go this summer. If you’re going to sign low, sell high, you have to plan to sell when you can sell them high, which is 18-24 months out from expiry, no shorter. We don’t. We chase results on the pitch.

2) you have to have identified the replacements you’re bringing in way in advance.

This is most important when it comes to replacing the expired players. This is where you bring in non-league/league 2 players on low salaries, less than before, allowing you to pay for inflation amongst your good players you want to retain to ensure you realise asset value in future. We are woeful at signing from league 2 and below. As you rightly point out, Clive, we keep missing the boat here, and then ending up wanting them after they’ve excelled in League 1. Too late, Rangers. That ship has sailed. Whoever our lower league scout/data analyst is, they need to up their game or be replaced. If we don’t have one, invest in one! It’s one of the most important positions at the club.

Obviously it’s also important for replacing the starters with others who you think you can sign for a little less than the sale, or pay a little less than the sold player, without an impact on the first team performance. Again, we have been poor here. Our money signings haven’t performed well enough, arguably Willock apart, possible Dykes. But Washington and Bonne were a lot of money for us and were disasters. If we sell Chair this summer - we must - we should have it already locked in who we’re signing to replace him. If we sell Dykes - we must if he won’t renew - again we should have had it locked in already who we’re after.

This sort of longer term signing strategy would also remove the likelihood of the manager just signing the lads he knows.

I’m sure a Belk and a Ferdinand would say we do have this in place, but I don’t think we’re executing it well enough. Too often our target is out of our price range and we have to go to plan B. That’s poor planning. Moore was 1st choice, not Dykes. The lad who went to Brentford, not Dickie. I’ sure there are others.

We’ll know how much of long term strategic scouting has been done by who replaces the players we sell. I’m worried one or two will be Ainsworth/Dobbo boys because they can actually persuade them to join us over other clubs. This may be an upside for us, but it makes the pool we’re fishing in very small. We should know who we’re bringing in outside these. And I’d like to see 1-2 hot non league prospects brought it.

They may turn out to be shit - judging by our recent record, probably will be - but this is the only way we can make the club work and improve things on a budget. We just need to be better at it.

Contract renewals are very hard though. The power is with the player. And, with FFP, you can’t just increase salaries constantly to retain players.

FFP and Bosman mean you will, you must, have a high turnover of players each season.

It may not be easy but other clubs do it well. Whichever way you look at any of the problems afflicting the club it goes back to the people making the decisions being incompetent.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Dickie off on 06:35 - Jun 8 with 2488 viewsHunterhoop

Dickie off on 23:57 - Jun 7 by DejR_vu

It may not be easy but other clubs do it well. Whichever way you look at any of the problems afflicting the club it goes back to the people making the decisions being incompetent.

Some do. Many don’t. Many are breaching or have breached FFP. Any any given point you have between 6 and 9 clubs on parachute payments, which makes their position incomparable.

Obviously the board have made some mistakes and some other clubs have managed the contract situation well, but many haven’t and I suspect if you spoke to most clubs’ fans you’d hear frustrations of dud signings and losing good players for nothing or reduced fees.
Dickie off on 08:34 - Jun 8 with 2378 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 17:23 - Jun 6 by Northernr

Ok here’s another one then. Is this whole ‘development model’ a pre Covid plan for a post Covid world? Transfer market has died, players just run the contracts down… and if so what is the alternative for a club with our income levels in an FFP world?

Covid does provide a modicum of mitigation in that some players were at the peak of their powers during the pandemic. However, clubs like Bristol City, Coventry and Luton have shown that the pre-Covid plan can work in the post-Covid world if executed correctly.
Dickie off on 08:44 - Jun 8 with 2356 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 18:49 - Jun 6 by QPROslo

Well I think Chair, Dieng and Dykes are still playing ok and could and should be sold at decent profits, especially Chair and Dykes. They are all still playing well. Willock possibly too but his value and form is down due to his hamstring injuries.

Dieng, Willock and Dykes are playing nowhere near as well as seasons gone by, hence why the team finished 20th. Couple this with the fact that they're entering the final year of their contracts and it's difficult to see where this decent profit is going to come from. Chair is a different story as he's contracted until 2025.
Dickie off on 09:11 - Jun 8 with 2331 viewsNorthernr

Dickie off on 08:44 - Jun 8 by Benny_the_Ball

Dieng, Willock and Dykes are playing nowhere near as well as seasons gone by, hence why the team finished 20th. Couple this with the fact that they're entering the final year of their contracts and it's difficult to see where this decent profit is going to come from. Chair is a different story as he's contracted until 2025.

Amazing we finished that low with all these players playing so well isn't it?
Dickie off on 09:19 - Jun 8 with 2304 viewsTheChef

Dickie off on 19:03 - Jun 6 by derbyhoop

You mean a CB pairing of Dunne and JCS will not be enough?

Still we have Gubbins and Woodman as backup.
What could possibly go wrong?

Er well you'd hope we will be doing some recruiting in that area.

And not much will happen on that front till 1st July which is when most player contracts expire.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dickie off on 09:39 - Jun 8 with 2249 viewstoboboly

The club made a lot of the whole buy low sell high and finding diamonds in the rough. They clearly never bought in to what they were saying and it was all just lip service in the end. If they really were going down that route then you make sure you sell when the player is playing well, doesn't matter if that is January or July.

However you always make sure you have 3 replacements identified and then you get them straight away, whether in the youth set up or another team. This is what Brentford did/do so well. They would sell a player for stupid money because that player was playing well, in a system that showed off their talent and skill, and then whoever they got in was normally cheaper and better.

Rinse and repeat.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

Dickie off on 09:53 - Jun 8 with 2209 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Dickie off on 09:11 - Jun 8 by Northernr

Amazing we finished that low with all these players playing so well isn't it?

Yes, I dread to think what'll happen when their good form tails off.
Dickie off on 09:58 - Jun 8 with 2195 viewstoboboly

Ok here’s another one then. Is this whole ‘development model’ a pre Covid plan for a post Covid world? Transfer market has died, players just run the contracts down… and if so what is the alternative for a club with our income levels in an FFP world?

I am interested by this and as the next few years develop i'm sure we will see. But if we are selling ourselves as a stepping stone to players from below or from youth teams whom have become disaffected we should be courting teams for every player all of the time. Then when a player is playing well you know who likes them and can gauge negotiations, strike while the iron is hot.

To read your piece about us telling all and sundry we weren't selling just because we had a semi-decent season knocks that into the long grass and might get players backs up as well as bumming us in the gob over FFP. Yet another example of QPR flipping between philosophy's, we really are a mess from the top down.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Dickie off on 12:26 - Jun 8 with 2080 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Stay the course as best they can, and be the best prepared club for when the market returns again.

Whatever the market, the development model is always the best one, even when conditions are at their worst for it.
Dickie off on 09:12 - Apr 28 with 1266 viewsKonk

Rob Dickie has been voted Bristol City's player of the year by the supporters and players. Apart from a couple of slip-ups, he's had a really good season.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Dickie off on 09:18 - Apr 28 with 1166 viewsPaddyhoops

Delighted for Rob Dickie . He was gone as player for us and we got some cash for us.
However the best centre back pairing in the championship at the moment are Cook and Jake.
They’ve been superb.
It’s not a vindication of selling Dickie but something that’s worked out for all concerned. Win Win.
Dickie off on 09:36 - Apr 28 with 1036 viewsstevec

Dickie off on 09:12 - Apr 28 by Konk

Rob Dickie has been voted Bristol City's player of the year by the supporters and players. Apart from a couple of slip-ups, he's had a really good season.

Well pleased for him, had a feeling that might happen.

Seemed like a decent lad who would struggle in a cesspit.
Dickie off on 09:37 - Apr 28 with 1031 viewsnix

Pleased for him.

He had a great first season with us (he was supporters' and players' player of the season here too) but for whatever reason it ended up not working out here for him. It was time to move on.

I liked him though; he always seemed to put a lot of effort in and quite often showed a lot of skill. But playing here it was like he had the golfer's yips. I thought he'd be fine once he re-set at a different club.
Dickie off on 10:13 - Apr 28 with 838 viewsdavman

Dickie off on 09:37 - Apr 28 by nix

Pleased for him.

He had a great first season with us (he was supporters' and players' player of the season here too) but for whatever reason it ended up not working out here for him. It was time to move on.

I liked him though; he always seemed to put a lot of effort in and quite often showed a lot of skill. But playing here it was like he had the golfer's yips. I thought he'd be fine once he re-set at a different club.

He did not want to be here and, frankly, put some disgraceful performances alongside Dunne in the horror show that was the second half of last season. A cowardly player who sulked and did not want to fight for the club. Rat deserting a sinking ship who could not wait 'til he could get away.

Outplayed by Dykes at Ashton Gate and I really hope we finish above them from next season.

Yes, he started well with us and is obviously a good championship player, yes he seems like a nice guy, but I carry a little hate for many of that class of '22-23 who so clearly underperformed. At least Chair, Willock, Dunne, Paal and a couple of others redeemed themselves under Marti; Dickie did not and for that reason, he'll never get a decent welcome back from me.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dickie off on 10:21 - Apr 28 with 781 viewsJimmyR

Glad to hear he’s doing well and sad to see that particular youngling eaten.

Big fan of his and yes he was shite the same time everyone else was…. A mercy killing/transfer

Good luck to him, we need to start selling players at the top of their form, not the bottom and that not on him
Dickie off on 11:48 - Apr 28 with 474 viewsSK_hoops

Dickie off on 10:13 - Apr 28 by davman

He did not want to be here and, frankly, put some disgraceful performances alongside Dunne in the horror show that was the second half of last season. A cowardly player who sulked and did not want to fight for the club. Rat deserting a sinking ship who could not wait 'til he could get away.

Outplayed by Dykes at Ashton Gate and I really hope we finish above them from next season.

Yes, he started well with us and is obviously a good championship player, yes he seems like a nice guy, but I carry a little hate for many of that class of '22-23 who so clearly underperformed. At least Chair, Willock, Dunne, Paal and a couple of others redeemed themselves under Marti; Dickie did not and for that reason, he'll never get a decent welcome back from me.

With you there. Can't stand any of the underperforming players of that season, especially the ones you knew could put in a performance if they wanted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024