Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? 17:14 - Jun 14 with 2303 viewsLordPork

I only ask on the basis that there seems to be a EFL and Premiership League inspired rule here that benefits keeping everyone in their place.

Arguably, no matter how much money you want to throw away as an owner, the rules and regs conspire to put you back in your box practically before you've spent it.

But what if the rules were different? What if you could spend what you like on transfers....so long as they were purchases from teams in lower divisions than the one your in?

This seems to me to encourage a Club / Team / owner to look to the lower leagues for talent and keep money in the EFL/Premiership coffers as opposed to other Continental and overseas leagues. Don't get me wrong, star players would still be bought by Premiership clubs BUT the key advantage for Championship clubs and owners is they would have a genuine / better chance of breaking out of the current circle of trying to break into the upper reaches of any league but being capped on expenditure.

At least this way owners wanting to make a genuine effort to "break the mould" and seek promotion could revitalise their squad AND see the money re-invested in / to the benefit of the lower leagues.

Currently as in stands FFP rules just nullify clubs developing and growing.

thoughts?
[Post edited 14 Jun 2023 17:17]
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 17:35 - Jun 14 with 2231 viewshantssi

Spend as much as you like but don’t saddle the club with debt, you must personally own the debt and the club must own it’s stadium.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 18:41 - Jun 14 with 2153 viewsQPR_John

"BUT the key advantage for Championship clubs and owners is they would have a genuine / better chance of breaking out of the current circle of trying to break into the upper reaches of any league but being capped on expenditure."

The very reason FFP will not be changed.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 19:09 - Jun 14 with 2115 viewsBoston

Good word is maelstrom, like to see it used more often

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 20:08 - Jun 14 with 2008 viewsLordPork

Thanks Boston, I pondered it for a while,

then, being me, actually looked up how to spell it right !!

when you think about the FFP issue, what's wrong with an owner "giving it a go", as stated, with his own money, not the clubs, in an effort to improve things. Currently as far as I can see, there are so many clubs being weighed down by various charges, claims, fines and embargo's, to what end.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 21:00 - Jun 14 with 1907 viewsdaveB

The rules do nullify clubs in a way but also protects them, in no other business would the owners be encouraged to spend 3/4 times more than they earn for a short term gain
The number of clubs going into admin has certainly dropped since the rules came in.

I do think if the rules were changed and we could spend what we wanted we'd still be below several other clubs who are bigger than us and have potential to spend a lot more but currently unable to.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 21:10 - Jun 14 with 1884 viewscolinallcars

There was an article in yesterday's Times saying Prem clubs are debating over two days a proposal for a wages cap. This amount would be an as yet unspecified ratio of the equivalent of what the lower Prem teams get in TV money. It's called “anchoring”
The bigger clubs are against it ( big surprise!), so it looks like it's a dead duck.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 22:50 - Jun 14 with 1769 viewsDannyPaddox

First thought was this was an announcement of a pre-season friendly in Sweden against 3rd tier outfit
FFP Maelstrom. I’d have been tempted.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2023 22:51]
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 06:37 - Jun 15 with 1663 viewsWegerles_Stairs

FFP is the worst thing to ever happen in football. Its only purpose is to maintain a closed shop - ergo City, who aren't even adhering to it, earn the most money from prize money, buy more £50m players for their bench and go again. Quite why it hasn't been challenged as a restraint of trade is beyond me.
Login to get fewer ads

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 07:06 - Jun 15 with 1635 viewsHooparoo

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 06:37 - Jun 15 by Wegerles_Stairs

FFP is the worst thing to ever happen in football. Its only purpose is to maintain a closed shop - ergo City, who aren't even adhering to it, earn the most money from prize money, buy more £50m players for their bench and go again. Quite why it hasn't been challenged as a restraint of trade is beyond me.

Agree completely. I’ve never understood why the clubs voted for it. If rich dudes want to spend their money on football clubs then let them I say. I would too if I was a billionaire

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 13:52 - Jun 15 with 1450 viewsLazyFan

This would all be moot if we had a wage cap.

Of course if you cap the wages of the workers (no matter how high that cap is) you then have to look at capping the bosses if they earn more.

And that outside of football would be a massive problem as we get into all the politics again and someone will cry and say "on no not politics again, please can we keep that out of this". Interestingly this is usually a right-wing person who we can see is actually behaving very woke when they whinge up like this :P

But yep that's the reality, things cost money and we live under capitalism. Whinge all you like when it comes up again and again but capping rich people even if they are workers never goes down well with the right who will block it all the time. But as every account for every club shows us, the very high wages are what costs clubs the most.

Funny how pro-capitalists don't want to acknowledge that yet claim they are the responsible ones when it comes to money!
Cap the wages and problems would start to be solved and less clubs would go under.

zzzzzzzzzz

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 15:38 - Jun 15 with 1345 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I think the FFP arguement that it holds clubs back is a bit thin when you look at Bournmouth, Brentford, Fulham, Palace all doing well. Then there are bigger clubs like Sheff Weds, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland who have all been in L1 recently.

The reality is a well run club with a clear vision and plan that is executed well will move onwards and upwards. We are none of this.

Also, FFP did not exist in the 80s, 90s, 00s, but you had Liverpool then Man Utd dominate both domestic and European competitions. Others did break through for a season or 2, but they still dominated.
FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 15:40 - Jun 15 with 1339 viewsdaveB

FFP Maelstrom, is there any way out? on 06:37 - Jun 15 by Wegerles_Stairs

It's the clubs who brought it in so who are they going to challenge
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024