Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Balogun? 16:58 - Jul 6 with 23425 viewsstainrods_elbow

Like Mr Martin, it appears that he's been released only to be, er, retained, because - stone the crows - we're a basket case of a club. Regardless, he's currently 'back out on the grass' and apparently working 'incredibly hard' to get fit, according to GA.

I don't really know what to think about the guy - he's 35, seemingly as injury-prone (and sometimes clanger-prone) as they come (to us), and then there was that argy-bargy with the away support last season. On the other hand, he's experienced, internationally credentialled, looked pretty good for a short while under Beale (sorry), and we all know it's likely to be a bit Keystone Kops this year, so maybe it's better the devil we know. Perhaps he could be our Frank McClintock 75-76, or even 76-77. Trust we in GA on this one?

If it were a choice of Martin or Leon, I guess I'd plump for the latter - though I can't help feeling if either of them are the answer(s), we're asking the wrong question.

Sigh!
[Post edited 6 Jul 2023 17:00]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Balogun? on 17:19 - Jul 6 with 6866 viewsozexile

I personally wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. But I'll gladly eat my words at the end of the season.
Balogun? on 17:48 - Jul 6 with 6713 viewsvanrrrr

Averaged under 10 games a season since 2018 ?.

we get what we deserve if he gets a contract that is not pay for play
Balogun? on 17:49 - Jul 6 with 6717 viewsted_hendrix

We're not exactly blessed with choice at the moment, we can't go shopping with a Shopping Trolley our mode of player shopping Is with a second hand bloody bin liner.
That's how I see It and we'll just have to get on with It and leave It to Ainsworth.

I was never quite sure about Balogun but then I'm not a football Manager.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Balogun? on 18:08 - Jul 6 with 6602 viewsMedwayR

He's been released but we have to provide him with the time and support to get fit. In the meantime, we've got a light squad so makes sense to take him to Austria as part of his recovery, mutually beneficial. I'll be surprised if we re-sign him.

Poll: Who’s better?

Balogun? on 18:19 - Jul 6 with 6554 viewsHAYESBOY

Not got a problem with his age or his ability.

Its his availability, or lack of.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Balogun? on 18:26 - Jul 6 with 6513 viewsstainrods_elbow

Balogun? on 18:08 - Jul 6 by MedwayR

He's been released but we have to provide him with the time and support to get fit. In the meantime, we've got a light squad so makes sense to take him to Austria as part of his recovery, mutually beneficial. I'll be surprised if we re-sign him.

Why will you be surprised? We signed (and may be re-signing) Martin! It's exactly the kind of thing I'd put money on us doing if I were a betting man instead of a mental man for following QPR.

Tbh, though, if we have to sell two or three of Dieng, Willock, Chair, and Field just to keep the right side of FFP - unlike, apparently, the likes of Brentford, Luton, Millwall, and whoever else is sailing over the horizon this week - in the story of downwardly managed expectations narrated by Ferdinand, Hoos and the PE teachers, what is the freakin' point again?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2023 10:47]

Balogun? on 18:29 - Jul 6 with 6496 viewsMedwayR

Balogun? on 18:26 - Jul 6 by stainrods_elbow

Why will you be surprised? We signed (and may be re-signing) Martin! It's exactly the kind of thing I'd put money on us doing if I were a betting man instead of a mental man for following QPR.

Tbh, though, if we have to sell two or three of Dieng, Willock, Chair, and Field just to keep the right side of FFP - unlike, apparently, the likes of Brentford, Luton, Millwall, and whoever else is sailing over the horizon this week - in the story of downwardly managed expectations narrated by Ferdinand, Hoos and the PE teachers, what is the freakin' point again?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2023 10:47]

Because it's dead money, surely even we realise that by now. When we're as skint as we are we can't afford to waste money on players who aren't available, we need robust players and that seems to be Ainsworth's type of player too. Which rules out Balogun.

It's also wishful thinking on my part.

Poll: Who’s better?

Balogun? on 18:53 - Jul 6 with 6402 viewsEastR

So his contract expired at the end of June but we're allowing him to train with he club as a good will gesture.
Now we've added him to the pre season tour, again to maintain his fitness etc
But not under contract

Given his track record of injuries, what happens if he was to get a career ending injury on one of those those lumpy looking pitches?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Balogun? on 18:59 - Jul 6 with 6375 viewsPunteR

He blamed the medical staff for his injury relapses last season. Maybe the club are just trying to right a wrong by getting him fit again. He doesnt have a club does he so would make sense he's still here if they did fk up . ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Balogun? on 19:09 - Jul 6 with 6303 viewsstainrods_elbow

It's also a question of who we can get to come to us right now. Balogun at least has the merit of never having actually left!

Balogun? on 19:10 - Jul 6 with 6300 viewsstainrods_elbow

Balogun? on 18:59 - Jul 6 by PunteR

He blamed the medical staff for his injury relapses last season. Maybe the club are just trying to right a wrong by getting him fit again. He doesnt have a club does he so would make sense he's still here if they did fk up . ?

Interesting! Where did he say that and what did he say?

Balogun? on 19:59 - Jul 6 with 6160 viewsQPR_John

Balogun? on 18:53 - Jul 6 by EastR

So his contract expired at the end of June but we're allowing him to train with he club as a good will gesture.
Now we've added him to the pre season tour, again to maintain his fitness etc
But not under contract

Given his track record of injuries, what happens if he was to get a career ending injury on one of those those lumpy looking pitches?

I maybe wrong but the club have to help him get fit if he has not got a club even though his contract has expired.
Balogun? on 20:45 - Jul 6 with 6010 viewsLowerloftLad

Balogun? on 19:59 - Jul 6 by QPR_John

I maybe wrong but the club have to help him get fit if he has not got a club even though his contract has expired.

Every single sign is pointing towards one hell of a car crash season so far I'm afraid.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Balogun? on 21:00 - Jul 6 with 5917 viewscolinallcars

They say that pessimists never get disappointed.
Just avoiding the drop will be an accomplishment.
Balogun? on 21:16 - Jul 6 with 5857 viewsqpr1976

Balogun? on 19:10 - Jul 6 by stainrods_elbow

Interesting! Where did he say that and what did he say?

Not read that either. But it wouldn’t surprise me. Too many injuries last couple of seasons.

My guess is we couldn’t afford to extend his contract on the wages he was on, especially for a crock.
So end that contract, let him train and prove hit fitness, then if nothing better comes in offer him a reduced 1 year deal or better still a pay as you play and pray…..
Balogun? on 21:20 - Jul 6 with 5822 viewscolinallcars

Balogun? on 21:16 - Jul 6 by qpr1976

Not read that either. But it wouldn’t surprise me. Too many injuries last couple of seasons.

My guess is we couldn’t afford to extend his contract on the wages he was on, especially for a crock.
So end that contract, let him train and prove hit fitness, then if nothing better comes in offer him a reduced 1 year deal or better still a pay as you play and pray…..

Have we ever had a player on pay as you play ?
Balogun? on 22:08 - Jul 6 with 5689 viewsdavman

Rely on JCS and balogun again is utterly nuts. Einstein's definition of insanity in a nutshell.

Dunne and Gubbins will get you where you deserve. Sign Balogun and you'll need ANOTHER CB on top of that.

He and JCS won't make 30 games between them again.

Surely we are not that stupid / desperate?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Balogun? on 22:12 - Jul 6 with 5682 viewsLazyFan

Balogun? on 21:20 - Jul 6 by colinallcars

For part of his stint at Reading that Andy Carrol was only on £1k per week: https://www.themag.co.uk/2021/11/andy-carroll-wages-deal-at-reading-made-public-

Of course, later they offered him an improved deal once he started scoring and playing well. Then after which I think he got injured again.

I suspect we have low balled Martin and may do the same for Balogun. Martin knows he can get better in L1 so, he will. Balogun may take whatever we offer as who else will sign him? We may have too if we do not get the Dickie replacement in.

Balogun is plan Z. Hopefully we get lucky with some targets which are in plan A-Y. It's early days as some players face reality and some clubs use the free's out there to bargain down the price of players they really want to buy.

Buying Club: "how much for player Y?"
Selling Club: "player Y is for sale for X"
Buying Club: "we could get near that with player A on Free, you need to lower your price"
Selling Club: "that's the price"
Buying Club: "we shall get back to you" and then they never do.

Point in case:
Luton turn down buying their number one who was on loan from Forest last year: https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/07/05/luton-make-decision-on-nottingham-f

And now Luton are in for Asmir Begovic who they can get as free agent:
https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/town-reportedly-turn-down

This may also affect us as then maybe we can get Ethan Horvath on loan while Walsh develops. A useful goalkeeper who has great Champ experience. Won't cost much to loan I would suspect as Luton didn't have any money either. And Forest won't need him for their 4th team.

All these deals will go to the wire. It's still better than the so-called "good old days" when Spurs used to sign 7 players just to avoid relegation and did it whenever they needed to. Imagine no transfer window limits for Chelsea or City!!!!

zzzzzzzzzz

Balogun? on 22:16 - Jul 6 with 5658 viewsHoopstar

Balogun? on 21:20 - Jul 6 by colinallcars

I sincerely doubt it , but it gets brought up every transfer window at least once.

Who on earth would sign a pay as you play contract?
Balogun? on 22:22 - Jul 6 with 5621 viewsHoopsie

I think it was his calf injury that baffled us with his perpetual unavailability and it turned out to be a foot injury with a broken bone? Our medical team sat on this wrong diagnosis for months and he was out for 5 months. Don’t think he outrighly blamed the club but this was revealed when he had a spat with the away fans after the Wigan debacle. If true we cannot begrudge him but have to right this wrong
[Post edited 6 Jul 2023 22:23]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Balogun? on 22:29 - Jul 6 with 5573 viewscolinallcars

Balogun? on 22:16 - Jul 6 by Hoopstar

I sincerely doubt it , but it gets brought up every transfer window at least once.

Exactly - I doubt the players' union, what it is, the PFA would countenance such a contract.
Balogun? on 22:37 - Jul 6 with 5552 viewsdistortR

Balogun? on 18:59 - Jul 6 by PunteR

On his international debut, the bloke lasted 20 minutes before leaving the field injured. He's 35 and injury prone. He's prone to injuries.Injuries he is prone to.

If we give him another year..................
Balogun? on 22:41 - Jul 6 with 5515 viewscolinallcars

Balogun? on 22:37 - Jul 6 by distortR

On his international debut, the bloke lasted 20 minutes before leaving the field injured. He's 35 and injury prone. He's prone to injuries.Injuries he is prone to.

If we give him another year..................

Yup, I'd be upset too. I would rather have Martin for 6/12 months. He has the right attitude.
Balogun? on 22:47 - Jul 6 with 5500 viewskensalriser

Balogun? on 22:16 - Jul 6 by Hoopstar

Forum rules. We have to hit the close season mentions target for 'tougher Championship next year' and 'pay for play contract'.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Balogun? on 23:28 - Jul 6 with 5391 viewsE17hoop

Balogun? on 19:59 - Jul 6 by QPR_John

This - it's part of the support offered to players with an agreement with the PFA. It protects younger players who get career ending injuries and provides them with ongoing medical support.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024