Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? 10:50 - Jul 8 with 11711 viewsRsinWales

I am not usually a 'sky is falling in' kind of person, but I am starting to get a feeling of dread about the new season.

We've said goodbye to a few players, which is fine, but we seem to be very vulnerable now.

No Director of Football to be in place before the start of the season, and yet surely we need to do a lot of recruitment to be anywhere near competitive for next season. Surely this is a crucial phase for having a strategic approach to building a way forward, after a somewhat fragmented approach over several years e.g. having a supposed strategy but regularly deviating from it.

I can't see the sense in assembling a new squad in the absence of a DoF, and then bringing one on board?

Clive has been clear that we need income to begin any significant recruitment, but other than Dieng, we don't look close to selling any of the players that might enable that.

I think we could all see how far off the pace we were last year, and the last time I felt so concerned about our chances of success, was at the time of the no cash, no players summer under Holloway. At least that was in League One.

If we do bring in any players, it looks like there will be relatively little time to integrate into the team. It just feels like we are wandering into calamity, with little more than hope associated with Ainsworth's optimism. I love the guy and want him to succeed, but we seem to be creating the conditions for failure.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 20:13 - Jul 9 with 2278 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 19:30 - Jul 9 by Sakura

It seems we agree on my original point that brought the finances side back up here 21/22 blow out Warburton promotion push season drops out after this season. Not after that as Antti’s post had seemed to imply

So let’s go with that £10m of savings vs last seasons spending

I agree it becomes speculation but the default amongst the fan base is to be overly negative and I think that can harm things. I just want to put a more positive view point out there because I get tired of the relentless pessimism from some

Mentioned before it seems a psychological defence mechanism amongst the fan base so scarred by the last 18 months they just want to have no hope at all. “The hope that kills you” means that chunks of our fans have decided to have no hope at all. I see the attitude of the likes of Wilkinswatercarrier on here as the equivalent of a 38 year old women buying a cat and deleting Tinder off the phone because “all men are bastards”. But instead Wilkins says he’s given up because “we have no money!!!”

Well, is that true?

Turns out we need to find roughly £10m of savings compared to last year. Then the £20m loss drops out and we have headroom back again to push on. So let’s not get toxic we can get through this season with a solid base and push on. Let’s have some optimism for the future

So back to that £10m of savings compared to last season

We know the Eze deal had add ons of £4m and it is perfectly reasonable to say that it’s much more likely that they will have all been triggered by the end of this season (if not already). We know the England cap was part of it as well

So that’s £6m left to find. World Cup money is £500k so that leaves £5.5m

Then fees for Dieng and Dickie. Plus amortisation improvement on Dickie means we have just £2.5m left to find

Off the wage bill already are Roberts, Laird, Amos, Johansen, Dickie, Dieng, Masterson, Travelman, Shodipo, Bonne, Thomas, Balogun. £90,000 a week combined at a conservative estimate. That is £4.7m saved

So £2.2m in the black so stopping there gives £42,000 a week wages to put replacements together

A sale for Chair or Field would need to be a proper fee and there is no longer a need to accept a low ball offer on 31st August as we are already there

But if it happens it can now go straight into improving the squad and not covering financial holes because of the work already done

Willock too is the early sale the club would like to further strengthen but I suspect he’s going to need to prove his form and fitness before that happens maybe mid August

The released players, the early sales and clear out of Johansen and likes of Travelman mean we have a good foundation to begin the rebuild now
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 19:35]

Not sure why you are singling me out. You have been told numerous times by NorthernR that you are wrong, and yet you still repeat the same line.
There is no money to sign players for fees. The squad today is probably as good as it gets for this season as any additional sales (willock etc) will not be replaced with the same calibre player.

And next summer will be worse as the Eze money is dropping out, hence we are not buying players now.

I think we will be relegated, 4th bottom would be a miracle.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 20:18 - Jul 9 with 2260 viewsessextaxiboy

Is this thread a contest to see who can be the most pessimistic and melancholy ?

There are some cracking hand wringing efforts .
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 22:01 - Jul 9 with 2091 viewscolinallcars

I dunno, I quite like Paal.
I imagine asking him for a pint o' Heavy.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 07:18 - Jul 10 with 1940 viewsSimonD

An argument whose cornerstone is that all of Eze's £4m add-ons are triggered by an England cap, 100 appearances (when he gets there) and 20 goals (when he gets there) is not one I can buy into. We've been here before and so rather than continuing to go around in circles I am stepping out of this now.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 09:00 - Jul 10 with 1849 viewsBluce_Ree

Not apprehensive but not excited either.

I have no idea if we'll go down but as of right now I don't really care. I'll care a lot more when we're in the second half of the season if we're right down there. I could do without it all to be honest.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 09:11 - Jul 10 with 1819 viewsSakura

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 20:13 - Jul 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not sure why you are singling me out. You have been told numerous times by NorthernR that you are wrong, and yet you still repeat the same line.
There is no money to sign players for fees. The squad today is probably as good as it gets for this season as any additional sales (willock etc) will not be replaced with the same calibre player.

And next summer will be worse as the Eze money is dropping out, hence we are not buying players now.

I think we will be relegated, 4th bottom would be a miracle.

What am I wrong about? We are working off a £10m saving needed. That's the starting point

So where in my previous post do you disagree?

The only point you for debate is how much of the £4m Eze add ons have been triggered or will be triggered by the end of the season. Simon D thinks not much I think with the England cap, being their top scorer and one of the first names on the team sheet it would have to be the worlds worst negotiation for it not to be triggered.

On the balance of probabilities it's clear that it is more likely that we can count on that £4m then can't.

Perhaps that's why you are now starting to soften your stance now and say there are "no money for fees" which is good to see
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 9:37]
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 08:47 - Apr 15 with 1138 viewsRsinWales

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 09:11 - Jul 10 by Sakura

What am I wrong about? We are working off a £10m saving needed. That's the starting point

So where in my previous post do you disagree?

The only point you for debate is how much of the £4m Eze add ons have been triggered or will be triggered by the end of the season. Simon D thinks not much I think with the England cap, being their top scorer and one of the first names on the team sheet it would have to be the worlds worst negotiation for it not to be triggered.

On the balance of probabilities it's clear that it is more likely that we can count on that £4m then can't.

Perhaps that's why you are now starting to soften your stance now and say there are "no money for fees" which is good to see
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 9:37]

So, I started this thread before the season had begun and we had some good discussion. What are you felling now and how accurate were your pre-season thoughts and comments?
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:46 - Apr 15 with 898 viewswombat

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 08:47 - Apr 15 by RsinWales

So, I started this thread before the season had begun and we had some good discussion. What are you felling now and how accurate were your pre-season thoughts and comments?

amazed its still on our own hands , but think we have blown way to many chances to stay up esp in recent games , hope to be proved wrong but gut feeling is we are going down

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:51 - Apr 15 with 866 viewsLblock

Gotta be honest the season has probably gone better than I expected.

To still be in with a chance of staying up is miraculous

To have had EIGHT chances to do ourselves a favour was amazing.

Looks pretty suspect now though

Real shame

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:55 - Apr 15 with 836 viewscharmr

Yes and can only contribute nothing to alter the situation as an outsider looking in.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:57 - Apr 15 with 822 viewsMonkey_Roots

I was preparing for the worst, but hoping to be surprised.

I'm amazed we're in with a shout of staying up, I'm so happy that we have got Marti, and I've been greatly encouraged by the players he bought in to help the squad. These past few months have been the most hopeful I have been since we topped the league with Adrian Mole – that came crashing down, I hope this doesn't.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:26 - Apr 15 with 700 viewsE15Hoop

I think having two home games (even with our dodgy form at HQ so far) plus none of this "3 games in a week" malarkey, a full week on the training ground, and a fully fit squad to choose from are significant plusses for us this time around.

I trust Saint Marti to find the key to unlock enough from our bunch of misfits to sneak us just above the dotted line - probably on goal difference, and only after we've shed half a stone in nervous sweat on the final day.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 17:02 - Apr 15 with 467 viewsMatch82

I'm highly confident we'll win one more game between now and the end of the season and that should be enough to see us ok IMO.

Couldn't even begin to predict which we'll win, but my nerves and liver would appreciate it if it's Preston.

I know there's a lot of doom and gloom at the moment and understandably so, but if Huddersfield and Wednesday lose on Saturday, we kick off against Preston knowing that a win effectively guarantees our safety.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 17:15 - Apr 15 with 451 viewsOldPedro

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:26 - Apr 15 by E15Hoop

I think having two home games (even with our dodgy form at HQ so far) plus none of this "3 games in a week" malarkey, a full week on the training ground, and a fully fit squad to choose from are significant plusses for us this time around.

I trust Saint Marti to find the key to unlock enough from our bunch of misfits to sneak us just above the dotted line - probably on goal difference, and only after we've shed half a stone in nervous sweat on the final day.

It's so hard to predict any results in the championship at the moment but the thing I'm clinging too is that the last 3 games are across 3 weekends as we tend to struggle with 3 games in a week.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 19:04 - Apr 15 with 339 viewslave16

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 17:15 - Apr 15 by OldPedro

It's so hard to predict any results in the championship at the moment but the thing I'm clinging too is that the last 3 games are across 3 weekends as we tend to struggle with 3 games in a week.

We seem to struggle with 46 games a season

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024