Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Change in style? 09:54 - Aug 10 with 17873 viewssparkey

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-ready-to-change-style-as-part-of-q

If this is the case, firstly good. Secondly, why have we wasted all of pre-season working on tactics which doesn't work to our players strengths. Brain dead stuff.
Change in style? on 07:07 - Aug 11 with 2996 viewsPunteR

Yeh , struggling to watch his interviews atm.

Stating the obvious he needs to turn this round fast. He's painted himself in a corner with the things he's already said, so maybe he just needs to shut up and get on with it now. If I was QPRs media team I'd leave him alone for a bit.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Change in style? on 08:37 - Aug 11 with 2850 viewsdmm

Ainsworth looks lost, brow beaten and depressed in that prematch video. It's hard not to imagine that the players have had a go at him, possibly the owners too, but most certainly the fans, and it's got to him. His famously positive personality has been broken by the first game of the season.

Whichever way things go now, this does not bode well.
Change in style? on 08:39 - Aug 11 with 2838 viewstraininvain

Hopefully the senior players in the dressing room can get control of the situation as it looks increasingly like Ainsworth’s out of his depth. Sad to see but it was always a risk bringing him back to the club.
Change in style? on 09:15 - Aug 11 with 2759 viewsR_from_afar

Perhaps the players have told him how they want to play but we should remember this: These players know what the basic requirements are, they have had years of coaching, at many levels within the pyramid.

Once the whistle blows, It's not Ainsworth making them stroll rather than sprint, loiter rather than mark or only pass to certain team mates. That's on them.

I have a horrible feeling that The Snake convinced the squad it was Premiership bound, that briefly being top of the league reinforced that and that it also gave the players the impression that they were better than they are. I wonder if some of the players put all the blame for our recent struggles on Critchley and Ainsworth, forgetting that even if the manager or coach is the best in world, the players still need to deliver week in week out.

Executive summary: The players are getting off lightly as the criticism of Ainsworth becomes exponential.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Change in style? on 09:28 - Aug 11 with 2710 viewsBlue_Castello

Change in style? on 21:43 - Aug 10 by R_from_afar

But can't managers evolve and try new things? Ollie did.

I'm with you here it seems the majority on here don't want to give him a chance, yes I get that he's had a pre season with the players but that's not enough. He inherited the shittiest of shitty sticks courtesy of people who had gone before him, it's blatantly obvious why Sir Les resigned he knew he was culpable for creating the situation, The buck has to stop somewhere and he was responsible for the overall control of transfers, there were far too many failures interspersed with the odd success.

This seasons squad that Ainsworth inherited was totally ill equipped for Championship football, too many players not up to the required level, he has gradually been bringing in players on a transfer budget of shirt buttons, beg steal or borrow you get players in. The Finances are in such a parlours state because mainly due to FFP we are on a tightrope and have to sell some of our best players, in an ideal world you would be able to keep your best players.

So we've found ourselves fielding a team that's more League one than Championship for the first game of the season and we get turned over, it happens but as long as you learn and try and improve then it's possible to avert disaster. It was imperative that we got Senior players in to bolster the squad, improve the leadership and in particular players who can hit the ground running as we don't have time for they will be good in a Saeason or twos time, which may well have been the case with Forino for example.

We are now told that the playing style may well change which I'm sure the majority are pleased about, but that may well be because we now have the players to implement the style, a commanding centre back and an imposing midfield presence for instance. We constantly read on here that you need a backbone/spine to be a strong team and that's exactly what Ainsworth is implementing.

I'm constantly reading reports of people eulogising about Warbuton and his style of play, the style worked well for him when he had the right players in the squad playing at the top of their game, there was similarly plenty of complaints about his sideways football and the last few months were terminal where we struggled to get out of our own half.

What we ideally want is a mixture of Warbs and Ainsworth, the ability to play the ball out from the back but to be able to go more direct when needed and to add some serious pace into the mix, Warbs had that with BOS but never regained it once he left.

So my feelings are give the bloke a chance for FFS he's played 1 game so far and people want to bin him already, he may well ultimately fail but at least let him have time to get his own players in and build a squad.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 9:41]
Change in style? on 09:48 - Aug 11 with 2633 viewsRangersw12

Change in style? on 09:28 - Aug 11 by Blue_Castello

I'm with you here it seems the majority on here don't want to give him a chance, yes I get that he's had a pre season with the players but that's not enough. He inherited the shittiest of shitty sticks courtesy of people who had gone before him, it's blatantly obvious why Sir Les resigned he knew he was culpable for creating the situation, The buck has to stop somewhere and he was responsible for the overall control of transfers, there were far too many failures interspersed with the odd success.

This seasons squad that Ainsworth inherited was totally ill equipped for Championship football, too many players not up to the required level, he has gradually been bringing in players on a transfer budget of shirt buttons, beg steal or borrow you get players in. The Finances are in such a parlours state because mainly due to FFP we are on a tightrope and have to sell some of our best players, in an ideal world you would be able to keep your best players.

So we've found ourselves fielding a team that's more League one than Championship for the first game of the season and we get turned over, it happens but as long as you learn and try and improve then it's possible to avert disaster. It was imperative that we got Senior players in to bolster the squad, improve the leadership and in particular players who can hit the ground running as we don't have time for they will be good in a Saeason or twos time, which may well have been the case with Forino for example.

We are now told that the playing style may well change which I'm sure the majority are pleased about, but that may well be because we now have the players to implement the style, a commanding centre back and an imposing midfield presence for instance. We constantly read on here that you need a backbone/spine to be a strong team and that's exactly what Ainsworth is implementing.

I'm constantly reading reports of people eulogising about Warbuton and his style of play, the style worked well for him when he had the right players in the squad playing at the top of their game, there was similarly plenty of complaints about his sideways football and the last few months were terminal where we struggled to get out of our own half.

What we ideally want is a mixture of Warbs and Ainsworth, the ability to play the ball out from the back but to be able to go more direct when needed and to add some serious pace into the mix, Warbs had that with BOS but never regained it once he left.

So my feelings are give the bloke a chance for FFS he's played 1 game so far and people want to bin him already, he may well ultimately fail but at least let him have time to get his own players in and build a squad.

Excellent post but I would say that the way Ainsworth set that team up against Watford didn't give them a chance and let's not forget this is the same Watford who lost in the cup a few days later to a lower league side .

This squad has always been built to play football and not hoof ball it's just ashame it's taken GA 14 games and a whole pre season to work it out !
Change in style? on 10:21 - Aug 11 with 2546 viewsPunteR

Change in style? on 09:28 - Aug 11 by Blue_Castello

On a given day a L1 team can beat a championship or even a Premier league side. We've seen it in Cup runs. Ainsworth was suppose to change the mentality of the players , that's his shtick. These players should have been bang up for Watford regardless of formation. These are suppose to be professional footballers. Surely they are capable of playing the most simple tactic of route one football, playing it into channel s etc. The whole vibe of the team just feels wrong. My concern is Ainsworth is going to change the playing style and still not get a tune out of them. This feels like he's lost the dressing room already as did Critchley.
Let's hope the senior players coming into the team can kick some backsides into gear.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Change in style? on 11:58 - Aug 11 with 2392 viewsBurnleyhoop

Change in style? on 10:21 - Aug 11 by PunteR

On a given day a L1 team can beat a championship or even a Premier league side. We've seen it in Cup runs. Ainsworth was suppose to change the mentality of the players , that's his shtick. These players should have been bang up for Watford regardless of formation. These are suppose to be professional footballers. Surely they are capable of playing the most simple tactic of route one football, playing it into channel s etc. The whole vibe of the team just feels wrong. My concern is Ainsworth is going to change the playing style and still not get a tune out of them. This feels like he's lost the dressing room already as did Critchley.
Let's hope the senior players coming into the team can kick some backsides into gear.

The change will come when Colback and Cook are in the side. Both uncompromising, no quarter given types. Will hopefully ensure there is no slacking off by those around them.

Bring it on.........finally.
Login to get fewer ads

Change in style? on 12:20 - Aug 11 with 2321 viewsBAWHoops

I'm not that sure that playing

..............Begovic.........
Kakay...Cook....Fox....Paal
.........Colback...Field........
Smyth........Chair......Willock
...............Dykes................

Is going to make THAT much of a difference guys. It's still features two full backs who have been poor for months and a left winger who has been dialling it in for close to 12 months

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Change in style? on 12:34 - Aug 11 with 2261 viewssparkey

Change in style? on 12:20 - Aug 11 by BAWHoops

Is going to make THAT much of a difference guys. It's still features two full backs who have been poor for months and a left winger who has been dialling it in for close to 12 months

Surely, SURELY that team is enough. Add in a RB on loan & Dunne to come back (wont hold my breath for JCS), that team is surely enough to stay up. With Sincs to come on off bench too.

If we struggle with this, it's down to the manager. I also understand the depth is concerning.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 12:34]
Change in style? on 12:58 - Aug 11 with 2173 viewsBklynRanger

I think Paal is a decent player who's had his form dragged down (or allowed it to happen). Having Colbeck and Field in the middle, if Field stays, should make things a lot tighter and allow him to get forward more often. Also not bad cover/competition it seems with the French lad.

In front of that stronger midfield Ilias may get his act together too. That leaves RB and the two either side of Chair. Smyth will give plenty of effort and let's see how that goes - too early to tell. Albert and (don't laugh) Richards can also compete for these areas.

Willock will need to change a lot but not impossible. And we definitely need a right back with Ossie as cover.

Paper thin starting 11 of course but gives us a chance I think. Field either staying or getting adequately replaced is a huge part of that though.
Change in style? on 22:22 - Aug 11 with 1937 viewsbaz_qpr

Change in style? on 12:20 - Aug 11 by BAWHoops

If we play two in centre mid we've not learnt anything

Tomorrow assuming Colcback is not fit enough to play return to Beale's formation keep it narrow and solid and bring on Armstrong second half. As soon as we are able we need to go 3 at the back

....................Begovic.........
Kakay.........Cook......Fox........Paal
.Duke-Mckenna...Field........Dixon Bonner
................Chair......Willock
......................Dykes..................

We are still very short in midfield, right back and up front
Change in style? on 23:19 - Aug 11 with 1881 viewsCateLeBonR

Change in style? on 22:22 - Aug 11 by baz_qpr

If we play two in centre mid we've not learnt anything

Tomorrow assuming Colcback is not fit enough to play return to Beale's formation keep it narrow and solid and bring on Armstrong second half. As soon as we are able we need to go 3 at the back

....................Begovic.........
Kakay.........Cook......Fox........Paal
.Duke-Mckenna...Field........Dixon Bonner
................Chair......Willock
......................Dykes..................

We are still very short in midfield, right back and up front

Only position we're not short is goalie for me.

That's only because he's 6 foot 5.
Change in style? on 00:18 - Aug 12 with 1819 viewsdavman

Change in style? on 12:58 - Aug 11 by BklynRanger

I think Paal is a decent player who's had his form dragged down (or allowed it to happen). Having Colbeck and Field in the middle, if Field stays, should make things a lot tighter and allow him to get forward more often. Also not bad cover/competition it seems with the French lad.

In front of that stronger midfield Ilias may get his act together too. That leaves RB and the two either side of Chair. Smyth will give plenty of effort and let's see how that goes - too early to tell. Albert and (don't laugh) Richards can also compete for these areas.

Willock will need to change a lot but not impossible. And we definitely need a right back with Ossie as cover.

Paper thin starting 11 of course but gives us a chance I think. Field either staying or getting adequately replaced is a huge part of that though.

...but as well as being pretty poor defensively, Paal has shown NOTHING going forward bar a couple of games. Tidy, competent footballer, but hardly effective bar a few games last season.

I think that he is massively overrated by many QPR fans.

Ozzie, on the other flank has been very disappointing. He never seems to want (or is not capable) to take his chance to step up when he gets a free run in the side.

So, ONE new CB surely will make very little difference to this team.

We are weeks away from improvement if it ever happens this season.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

(No subject) (n/t) on 00:35 - Aug 12 with 1779 viewsstainrods_elbow

Change in style? on 17:22 - Aug 10 by Hayesender

I've just taken a deep breath and watched that. My good god, the poor man has aged about 20 years since he walked trough the door in February.

I get the impression he doesn't even believe what he's saying

He looks really sick. Like he needs the men in white coats. I hate, really hate, QPR right now.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 0:40]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Change in style? on 07:32 - Aug 12 with 1695 viewsQPROslo

I'm hoping we go 4 5 1 without the ball with Sinclair the one snapping at defenders, more like 4 3 1 2 with.
Based on Cook starting, something like:
Becovic
Kakay Cook Fox Paal
Dozzell Chair Field
Willock
Dykes Armstrong

Willock and Dykes getting back into a midfield 5 when we lose the ball. If Cook can't start, more likely?, after last week hope he moves Field back to CB alongside Fox and plays SDM in a midfield 3 with Chair and Dozzell. Chair in center midfield with Willock close by and not out of play isolated on the wing.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 7:33]
Change in style? on 15:24 - Aug 12 with 1467 viewsEsox_Lucius

If this is to be implemented in the EFL, as per these directives, then it may have played a significant part in the change of heart... and style.
"π„ππ†π‹πˆπ’π‡ ππ‘π„πŒπˆπ„π‘ 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐆𝐔𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒
🚨 Players who feign an injury and refuse medical assistance to waste time may also be given a Premier League booking next season.
In an attempt to stop time wasting, Premier League referees will add up time lost on goal celebrations, free-kicks and penalties next season.
The matches could in theory last as long as the games in the 2022 World Cup. πŸ‘€
Last season the average playing time in a match was 54 minutes and 49 seconds.
*Offside*
While this one isn't necessarily new as it was implemented last season, it is officially in writing now.
The new law states that 'a player who is clearly offside should not become onside on every occasion when an opponent moves and touches the ball'.
Essentially this means there's no longer a guarantee that a player will be deemed onside if the ball touched an opponent before him.
*Denying goalscoring opportunity*
In the past, players who are through on goal and are tackled by a defender who has none of his team-mates also there to cover are sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity.
However in 2023-24, only fouls that are deemed intentional will get an automatic red and infringements where players made a genuine attempt at playing the ball will get a yellow.
In other circumstances such as holding, pulling, pushing, or they had no possibility to play the ball - the player will be sent off.
The new laws from the FA also specify that a player must be cautioned if they handle the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack.
They will also be cautioned in any other way that stops a promising attack, except for when the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball.
Also in an attempt to allow the game to flow better with reduced stoppages, a higher threshold will be applied to contact between players, which is hoped to reduce the number of free kicks.
However, as per the existing referee guidelines, any challenge deemed 'careless' will be deemed a foul, any which are "reckless" will receive a yellow card, and any player who 'endangers the safety' of an opponent will be sent off.
*Goalkeeper sportsmanship*
Or what we could call the 'Emiliano Martinez' law.
The Aston Villa keeper attracted a lot of criticism for his antics during Argentina's penalty shootout victory over France in the World Cup final.
His mind games worked a treat to allow Lionel Messi and Co to lift the trophy, but new rules in the aftermath of his actions mean keepers will now be disciplined if they try to unfairly delay the taking of the penalty.
It also states they can't delay the kick by touching the goalposts, crossbar or the net.
There's no mention of the dancing and flailing arms that numerous keepers, such as Jerzy Dudek in the 2005 Champions League final for Liverpool, have done in the past.
*Timewasting*
The sight of goalkeepers being punished for timewasting is nothing new, as they regularly get punished if they do so in the final stages of the match with a yellow card.
However, from this season, time-wasting will no longer be restricted to the final minutes and referees can now dish out an early warning if they feel the keeper is taking too long.
Meanwhile, referees will be more robust in penalising 'clear and impactful actions' that waste time - not just for the obvious act of kicking the ball away.
*Timekeeping*
If this was last season, we might be talking about how Manchester City beat Arsenal in the Community Shield on Sunday.
However, the Gunners were able to win on penalties, after Leandro Trossard scored a goal in the 101st minute.
That's because this season, the Premier League and EFL will bear much more resemblance to the Qatar World Cup - where there were some games that fans had to put aside two hours to watch from start to finish, without extra time and penalties.
Officials became concerned with statistics showing how little the ball was in play during matches in England with averages last season of just under 55 minutes in the Premier League and as low as 48 minutes in League Two.
Referees will now be obliged to time how long the game is stopped before the re-start for game interruptions, such as a goal, substitution, injury, or preparations for a free-kick.
More time will also be added for goal celebrations, with officials feeling they have become lengthier over the years.
It means huge amounts of stoppage time could be awarded in manic games full of goals, bookings and talking points.
England's World Cup clash with Iran lasted a total of 117 minutes, after two concussion-related injuries, eight goals and ten substitutions in the 90 minutes.
Fans attending late games who need to get the last train home will certainly be hoping this isn't the case when they go to watch their club.
*Manager behaviour*
The behaviour of managers and their backroom staff will come under greater scrutiny this season.
It means that the sight of Jurgen Klopp screaming in the face of the fourth official, Mikel Arteta waving his arms about in frustration at the refereeing as well as Pep Guardiola's antics, could all be a thing of the past.
An automatic yellow card will be dished out if there is ever more than one coach in the technical areas.
There will be harsher penalties for bosses that leave their technical areas, and aggression from them or their coaches towards match officials or opponents will be routinely met with a red card.
Those given a red card won't be able to watch from the stand or on top of a dugout like Arsene Wenger once attempted, but instead they will need to be out of sight of the pitch.
Similar to players, if managers start demanding cards then they too will be punished, as Arteta fell foul of during the Community Shield final.
The Spaniard was shown a yellow card for waving an imaginary yellow card following a challenge from Rodri on Kai Havertz.
*Crowding referees*
The issue of players crowding around referees to complain about their decisions has been rife in the Premier League for many years.
Most teams have fallen guilty to it, with one recent case towards the end of last season coming when Liverpool players failed to control themselves following a challenge by Man City's Rodri and crowded around Simon Hooper.
Liverpool, like other sides, were charged and fined by the FA, though this season players can expect to see more punishment handed out to them on the pitch.
This season, whenever more than one player approaches the referee, at least one of those players, and potentially more, will be shown an automatic yellow card.
Any player that runs from distance to approach match officials are more likely to be booked. So while Mario Lemina's second yellow card for Wolves against Southampton for 'running aggressively' was undeniably harsh at the time, the fact he ran from distance to protest a decision would mean he'd likely get a yellow this year.
If the rule is followed, it's likely that a number of players will fall victim to it, especially during the early phases of the season and we could see a few red cards.
Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher told Sky Sports that it will be 'short-term pain for long-term gain'."

The grass is always greener.

Change in style? on 17:04 - Aug 12 with 1405 viewsDorse

A win away: 343 with Dykes withdrawn and Armstrong out front.

Maybe not a style change but definitely a change of formation.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:06]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Change in style? on 17:05 - Aug 12 with 1400 viewsswisscottage

Whilst we ran out of puff in the last 25 minutes, and one result doesn't mean anything has necessarily changed .. there are a few people on this thread looking rather stupid right now :).
Change in style? on 17:12 - Aug 12 with 1355 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Change in style? on 17:04 - Aug 12 by Dorse

A win away: 343 with Dykes withdrawn and Armstrong out front.

Maybe not a style change but definitely a change of formation.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:06]

I thought the style changed too. Noticably, and for the better. Chair much more involved as he always is when he's played more centrally. And so much good came off him. This is the style of football that suits us best.

Fine first half. Cracking. Thought we slowed it too much in the second, fell far too deep. Also concerned at how baked we were with ten (twenty) to go, but hope that was mental fatigue after what must have been a hard week.

Overall, though, an enjoyable and richly deserved win.

Well done to all - management, players and travelling fans.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Change in style? on 17:59 - Aug 12 with 1196 viewsbaz_qpr

Formation 3-4-2-1 same as Warbs switched to and we played in our successful year, with Dykes playing the Willock role pretty successfully if you ask me and Armstrong up top creating the space for Chair

Man to man marking dumped (thank god) as that what destroyed us at Watford.

Pattern of play going forward with some actually rehearsed moves.

Well drilled high press

Chair central and effecting the game

Smyth revelation at wingback

Subs nearly cost us the game especially Albert at RWB

Ainsworth looked a man who just stared death in the face

Gotta hand it to him and Dobbo
Change in style? on 18:56 - Aug 12 with 1086 viewsDejR_vu

Change in style? on 17:59 - Aug 12 by baz_qpr

Formation 3-4-2-1 same as Warbs switched to and we played in our successful year, with Dykes playing the Willock role pretty successfully if you ask me and Armstrong up top creating the space for Chair

Man to man marking dumped (thank god) as that what destroyed us at Watford.

Pattern of play going forward with some actually rehearsed moves.

Well drilled high press

Chair central and effecting the game

Smyth revelation at wingback

Subs nearly cost us the game especially Albert at RWB

Ainsworth looked a man who just stared death in the face

Gotta hand it to him and Dobbo

I hope it was GA and Dobbo, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was player power. Anyway, even if that was the case, it was taken on board. Hopefully we’re off and heading in the right direction, whatever the catalyst.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Change in style? on 19:10 - Aug 12 with 1042 viewsdmm

Change in style? on 18:56 - Aug 12 by DejR_vu

I hope it was GA and Dobbo, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was player power. Anyway, even if that was the case, it was taken on board. Hopefully we’re off and heading in the right direction, whatever the catalyst.

I thought the same that it was the players who made Ainsworth think again about his style.
Change in style? on 20:06 - Aug 12 with 904 viewsbaz_qpr

Change in style? on 19:10 - Aug 12 by dmm

I thought the same that it was the players who made Ainsworth think again about his style.

Better to learn from your mistakes than to keep repeating them, I think even if it has come from the players or elsewhere you have to respect the humility in saying you've got it wrong and making the change. I think Bobby Robson did similar at Italia 90. I see that as a strength, a willingness to listen and adapt and I'm an Ainsworth critic. Lets see where it takes us I guess
Change in style? on 20:16 - Aug 12 with 865 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Change in style? on 18:56 - Aug 12 by DejR_vu

Agreed - as I posted recently about Bobby Robson at Italia 90 - the Manager gets credit for implementing the ideas, whether they were his ideas, orΒ someoneΒ else's.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024