Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc 22:44 - Sep 9 with 2496 viewsOakR

Hello

We have finally managed to upgrade our broadband from around 15Mb to 900Mb (down).

We currently use a Chromecast with our fairly old non smart TV, which we'd like to upgrade to improve the picture quality. We don't have Sky etc or any boxes.

Basically just want a crisp TV and no buffering - will a smart TV do that or are you better off with a box that can process the connection better into a 4k / HD TV? Should I look for a minimum processor / refresh rate etc? Or what to look for/ think about? Is their much difference between HD and 4K in reality?

Or should I just get anything reasonably priced and it should be ok and ignore the marketing?

Poll: Will we stay up?

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 22:50 - Sep 9 with 2481 viewsthame_hoops

Massive difference between 4K and HD (especially when I remember to wear my glasses) I have a big collection of 4K Blu-ray although 4k streaming in my opinion is just as good.

I always had an Apple TV 4K box that i used. However, my new Samsung TV has apps built-in and I sold my Apple box. I have had no problems whatsoever with picture quality or streaming using the built-in apps to the TV. Disney+ 4K HDR shows look beautiful. I do however have my TV plugged directly into my router as it’s close by.

If you do want to go down the route of buying a box for streaming, the Apple one was excellent. So easy to use, and if you already have iOS devices, it syncs perfectly.
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 23:18 - Sep 9 with 2442 viewsCateLeBonR

Ideally I'd say a box is always the best way. Then when it goes wrong you only have the box and not the whole bloody TV to throw away.

Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and manufacturers try to force us into corners. There's very little choice unless you're really clever or have money to spend on stuff that isn't important.
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 15:50 - Sep 10 with 2152 viewsOakR

Thank you Thame and BonR, appreciate it.

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 16:05 - Sep 10 with 2129 viewsLanhoop

If you just want the standard channels and some or all of Netflix/Disney etc then a smart tv and a soundbar is all you need. If you want Sky channels too then add a Sky Stream box to the above.
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 16:12 - Sep 10 with 2119 viewsDavieQPR

Unless it's cheap most TVs are smart ones. The thing to watch is screen size. Samsungs are pretty good but the sound is not great, A soundbar cures that. Narrow your search down to 3 or 4 then go to Youtube review for those models.
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 16:16 - Sep 10 with 2114 viewsBucksRanger

Don't buy a Samsung, people will think you support Chelsea.
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 18:49 - Sep 10 with 2020 viewsMelakaRanger

Samsung 55 inch 4k smart tv coupled with Sonos sound bar and 2x Sonos 1 speakers for surround sound. Beautiful, crisp picture with amazing sound.

The apps allow you to watch 4k ( when available) via broadband .

If you want 4k sports then a sky q box is very good

As someone else had said. The speakers on these smart tvs are generally rubbish.

Bought 2 of the above Samsungs in 2021 at around £300 each from John Lewis. Then spent more than that on Sonos soundbars and surround speakers for them both.

The Sonos makes an immense difference and is well worth the extra spend
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 01:58 - Sep 11 with 1918 viewsSydneyRs

Chromecast 4K with google TV is excellent and quite inexpensive. I have two of them on TVs here, one a newer Samsung TV with its own menu etc but still find google TV easier/better to use.

Really comes into its own with an older TV we have though. Still has a great picture but the 'smart' menu is dated and awful/clunky to use. Google TV makes it like new again.
Login to get fewer ads

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 10:55 - Sep 11 with 1755 viewsBluce_Ree

I use an Nvidia Shield. It's basically an Android box but a bit more powerful. It's got a couple of really good features though.

1) you can use it as a Plex server. So essentially you download all your films, put them onto a hard drive, install Plex and basically you've got your own curated film library that works like a Netflix interface. You can then play those films on other TVs in your house via Firesticks or whatever.

2) it upscales things to 4k and does it really well.

Even though I've got it connected to a decent 4K Sony, I never use the smarts from the telly, it's all done on the Shield from iPlayer to Netflix (when I have it - I only sign up for like a month once a year) to Prime. Everything gets done through the Shield.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 12:08 - Sep 11 with 1700 viewsCamberleyR

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 16:16 - Sep 10 by BucksRanger

Don't buy a Samsung, people will think you support Chelsea.

Samsung haven't sponsored them for years.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 17:52 - Sep 12 with 1515 viewsNorrisGreen

A decent Smart (I'd suggest an Android one) TV should be fine and not need any additional box, cables or R/Cs. Obviously the interface would mirror the Chromecast interface you're familiarfamilar with too.

I have a Sony. It has excellent native sound and does not require a sound bar. The screen acts as a speaker and there's a subwoofer in the chassis. Obviously it cant compare to a booming home cinema array but it is plenty loud, clear and bassy enough for what I'd call normal domestic viewing.

The Android OS supports all main providers. Netflix, Prime, Disney and YouTube are all preinstalled and have shortcut buttons on the R/C. It obviously has all the Freeview catchup services too. The only app I have had to manually install (piece of cake) is NowTV, or Now as its now called.

Disney and Prime have 4K UHD broadcasts in HDR or Dolby Vision as standard. I dont pay extra to Netflix or Now to get UHD/4K - bog standard HD is more than adequate.

Personally, I'd get a good Android TV and only add a box later if you feel you are missing out on something.

Lastly I have 70mb internet and have no trouble streaming 4K content whilst others are using t'internet too. There are no "gamers" in my household but even so, I think most folk dont need 900mb - I would be staggered if it was tangibly different from 100mb internet for most households. Assuming you're paying a premium for 900mb I'd consider if it's worth it. You could probably shave at least £20 p/m off the internet and spend that on a monthly Now Sports Pass instead
Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 08:46 - Sep 14 with 1322 viewsOakR

Off topic - TV v Smart TVs v Boxes etc on 17:52 - Sep 12 by NorrisGreen

A decent Smart (I'd suggest an Android one) TV should be fine and not need any additional box, cables or R/Cs. Obviously the interface would mirror the Chromecast interface you're familiarfamilar with too.

I have a Sony. It has excellent native sound and does not require a sound bar. The screen acts as a speaker and there's a subwoofer in the chassis. Obviously it cant compare to a booming home cinema array but it is plenty loud, clear and bassy enough for what I'd call normal domestic viewing.

The Android OS supports all main providers. Netflix, Prime, Disney and YouTube are all preinstalled and have shortcut buttons on the R/C. It obviously has all the Freeview catchup services too. The only app I have had to manually install (piece of cake) is NowTV, or Now as its now called.

Disney and Prime have 4K UHD broadcasts in HDR or Dolby Vision as standard. I dont pay extra to Netflix or Now to get UHD/4K - bog standard HD is more than adequate.

Personally, I'd get a good Android TV and only add a box later if you feel you are missing out on something.

Lastly I have 70mb internet and have no trouble streaming 4K content whilst others are using t'internet too. There are no "gamers" in my household but even so, I think most folk dont need 900mb - I would be staggered if it was tangibly different from 100mb internet for most households. Assuming you're paying a premium for 900mb I'd consider if it's worth it. You could probably shave at least £20 p/m off the internet and spend that on a monthly Now Sports Pass instead

Thanks everyone, this is all really helpful.

Norris I am paying £35 a month with Vodafone fixed for 2 years which seemed pretty good for 900down and 100 up in fibre. When the deal expires I think as you say I will reduce it as I suspect we don't even use 10% of it.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2023 8:47]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024