Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland at home 11:14 - Sep 11 with 12697 viewssafcinpeace

I have popped on to this board for the last two games against you and, in the main had a good friendly discussion, so here goes.

How are you feeling about your start to the season and you newish manager (he wasn’t in charge last time we played you).

Ainsworth and Sunderland have always had a bit of a love hate relationship, loved how he got results on a shoestring and his kind words about Sunderland, but hated his style of play and the thuggery he used At Wycombe.

For us the transfer window is being judged as a success, leaving us with an even younger team that last year, the average age of the starting eleven is about 22 years and one month. A lot of kids with massive talent and the home grown Chris Rigg only 16 and two goals already.
Sunderland at home on 11:23 - Sep 11 with 7783 viewsAntti_Heinola

In short:

Absolute terror as the season started, borne out within 25 seconds of Game One.

Since then, pleasantly surprised and hope spreading warmly through the fanbase that things might be fun again.

Bare bones.

Sunderland at home on 11:26 - Sep 11 with 7776 viewsMonkey_Roots

Obviously I don't speak for anyone but myself...

I'm much happier now that we have departed away from what was perceived to be Ainsworth's style of football. On the one hand I applaud his willingness to change it up, on the other hand I kinda judge him for not believing in what he was doing... the preseason was a waste of time.

I don't know if we are doing better because of him, or in spite of him?

I don't like our lack of squad depth, but again I'm all over the place, because I like that it will give our younger development squad a chance to come in and prove themselves... and not just bring in some other teams players to develop.

He has made some decent signings it seems - older, but the experience we needed I think for some of our younger team to flourish in the comfort that they have these wise old heads to help out. He seems to have got a squad full of players bought in to his style and vision, so that's something. A few injuries though, and we are in the poop.

If I don't look at him or listen to him, It gives me more hope.

We'll give you a good game, and hopefully come away with a win.

Apart from games against us, good luck for the season.

Edit: As Antti says above, it's definitely a lot more fun already. Win, lose or draw, if the effort is there, we're pretty much over the moon after last year.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 11:28]
Sunderland at home on 11:41 - Sep 11 with 7699 viewsTheChef

One plus point - Keith Stroud isn't the ref for this one (I think!)

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sunderland at home on 11:42 - Sep 11 with 7696 viewspaulhoop2

Love Ainsworth for what he did in his previous spell a modern day legend. But his playing style is poor. He’s a good man honest hardworking which reflect in his teams but not a massive fan of his as a manger just hope he don’t spoil his legacy. Would hate to see him get barracked etc

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Sunderland at home on 11:59 - Sep 11 with 7640 viewsHooptimist

Pleased with the start to the season. Preseason was used well. We established that the style of play GA is most associated with didn't work for us. Now with key aspects of that Ainsworth style ("emptying the tank", solid shape, much improved defensively on set pieces) applied to playing attractive pacey play we look on an upward curve

Transfer window a success. FFP rolling three year rule means this year is an especially tight one for us and we can losen the purse strings next year as a big loss year rolls out. But even faced with that. Every signing we have made is an improvement on who left. Squad depth a worry. But we made some very good signings and kept our best players despite the predictions of majority of our fan base who thought we would need to let go of anything "not tied down"

in Armstrong, Koli and Larkeche we also have some promising prospects of our own. With very solid senior pros like Cook, Begovic and Sunderland's (not so well liked) Colback to add much needed stability to what has been a fragile team
Sunderland at home on 13:16 - Sep 11 with 7414 viewsterryb

Welcome back.

The first game of the season at Watford was the worst performance I've seen from Rangers since watching my first game in 1967! I was beginning to wonder whether my belief that we would (just) survive relegation was correct, but Ainsworth listened to the players & agreed to change our system! Since then we have been competitive & didn't deserve to lose to Ipswich & Southampton. We've even played some football as well!

The transfer window was a success, in my view, as we spent next to nothing in fees & are stronger than the side that finished last season. Whether that is enough I don't know, but I feel it will be. I'm no longer dreading going to matches!

I give Ainsworth credit for changing his system, but do query why it took him so long & why the players had to tell him to when it was obvious. Managers/coaches should have been able to see this for themselves!

Overall, I'm happier than Ii expected to be & hopefully Clarke will perform on Saturday as he did for Rangers rather than how he has played for Sunderland!
Sunderland at home on 13:21 - Sep 11 with 7383 viewsrobith

He's come in peace! Get him! Break his legs!
Sunderland at home on 13:34 - Sep 11 with 7299 viewsSuperhoop83

Sunderland at home on 11:59 - Sep 11 by Hooptimist

Pleased with the start to the season. Preseason was used well. We established that the style of play GA is most associated with didn't work for us. Now with key aspects of that Ainsworth style ("emptying the tank", solid shape, much improved defensively on set pieces) applied to playing attractive pacey play we look on an upward curve

Transfer window a success. FFP rolling three year rule means this year is an especially tight one for us and we can losen the purse strings next year as a big loss year rolls out. But even faced with that. Every signing we have made is an improvement on who left. Squad depth a worry. But we made some very good signings and kept our best players despite the predictions of majority of our fan base who thought we would need to let go of anything "not tied down"

in Armstrong, Koli and Larkeche we also have some promising prospects of our own. With very solid senior pros like Cook, Begovic and Sunderland's (not so well liked) Colback to add much needed stability to what has been a fragile team

I agree with most of that that, but "Preseason was used well" reminded me of Alan Partridge saying that on the Titanic’s maiden voyage there were over a thousand miles of uneventful, very pleasurable cruising before it hit the iceberg.

Suffering since 1978.

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland at home on 13:35 - Sep 11 with 7294 viewshantssi

Sunderland at home on 13:21 - Sep 11 by robith

Sunderland at home on 13:40 - Sep 11 with 7268 viewssafcinpeace

Sunderland at home on 13:35 - Sep 11 by hantssi

I was around in the 1970’s so o know what it was like. 😎
Sunderland at home on 13:53 - Sep 11 with 7204 viewsHooptimist

Sunderland at home on 13:34 - Sep 11 by Superhoop83

I agree with most of that that, but "Preseason was used well" reminded me of Alan Partridge saying that on the Titanic’s maiden voyage there were over a thousand miles of uneventful, very pleasurable cruising before it hit the iceberg.

Except you've got that the wrong way round. We hit the ice berg in preseason and the against Watford with our makeshift defence with Gubbins at the helm. And now it's the "very pleasurable cruising" that is ahead of us this season

Ainsworth and Dobson performed the experiments at preseason which is the time to do it as our squad came together.

For your analogy to work the team would be sunk by that. But instead we can be optimistic of better times ahead
Sunderland at home on 14:28 - Sep 11 with 7063 viewsNorthantsHoop

Probably the Sunderland and Swansea home games in the next week will tell us if a real corner has been turned. On the Ainsworth style of play whether it has been revised or not is still debatable as think he is the sort of manager that will probably give anything a go and see if it sticks. The main improvement is with the core of the team, Begovic, Cook, Colback and Fox are providing the experience and it's rubbing off on other players. Think that Chair is also looking up for it again. Willock just don't know and with Richards, Gareth seems to have been lumbered with a player who seems to have a whole host of head issues.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 14:29]
Sunderland at home on 14:37 - Sep 11 with 6995 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A pint of Double Maxim was a thing of delight back in the day. Sadly I see they went the way of Fuller's - sold out to a plc!

As for the football: if a sheer desire to Make Rangers Great Again could be embodied in any one person, then Gareth Ainsworth is that man.

He's effectively been working with one hand tied behind his back and a shorter Cuban heel on one of his boots since arriving, and despite the atrociousness of his initial time in charge, we cannot knock the bloke for his passion, it's been in short supply round these here parts for some while.

Suspect when: suspensions, injuries, and form drops start to kick-in, his job will become considerably harder and then we'll see whether he really is the Messiah, or a man in need of a haircut and sensible brogues...but I'm back in love with him and want him to succeed as much for himself as I do for QPR.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sunderland at home on 14:41 - Sep 11 with 6974 viewscolinallcars

Is Latimer's seafood shop still on the ocean road ? Cracking place. I used to eat there and pop along to the two pubs on the way to South Shields. One was the Jolly Sailor - the other I can't remember but I think has long closed.
Enjoy the game if you come down mate.
Hopefully, we'll put up a better show than last season !
Sunderland at home on 16:31 - Sep 11 with 6710 viewsBoston

Sunderland at home on 13:21 - Sep 11 by robith

Set phaser to stun,mate.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sunderland at home on 17:08 - Sep 11 with 6614 viewsstevec

It was nice of you to sell your goal every two games centre forward and give us a fighting chance.

Also, no sitting back. We have literally no idea how to take the game to any opposition, haven’t won a home game in about two years, so would really appreciate it if your lot go all out attack so we can approach this as if it were an away game. We’re a little bit better at away games.
Sunderland at home on 17:23 - Sep 11 with 6589 viewsstinkydad

Sunderland at home on 11:26 - Sep 11 by Monkey_Roots

Obviously I don't speak for anyone but myself...

I'm much happier now that we have departed away from what was perceived to be Ainsworth's style of football. On the one hand I applaud his willingness to change it up, on the other hand I kinda judge him for not believing in what he was doing... the preseason was a waste of time.

I don't know if we are doing better because of him, or in spite of him?

I don't like our lack of squad depth, but again I'm all over the place, because I like that it will give our younger development squad a chance to come in and prove themselves... and not just bring in some other teams players to develop.

He has made some decent signings it seems - older, but the experience we needed I think for some of our younger team to flourish in the comfort that they have these wise old heads to help out. He seems to have got a squad full of players bought in to his style and vision, so that's something. A few injuries though, and we are in the poop.

If I don't look at him or listen to him, It gives me more hope.

We'll give you a good game, and hopefully come away with a win.

Apart from games against us, good luck for the season.

Edit: As Antti says above, it's definitely a lot more fun already. Win, lose or draw, if the effort is there, we're pretty much over the moon after last year.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 11:28]

"If I don't look at him or listen to him, It gives me more hope."

This is me too.
Sunderland at home on 17:32 - Sep 11 with 6562 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m feeling great. He’s turned round the most disinterested squad QPR have had in years, and added one of your own, Jack Colback to the mix. No one says the squad don’t give a shit any more.

In regards to thuggery, if we have Dykes and Armstrong up front, your CBs will feel like they’ve been through a cycle in a tumble dryer.
Sunderland at home on 18:27 - Sep 11 with 6407 viewslondonscottish

As others have said, the last few games have been a pleasant surprise compared to the horror show that was the end of the pre-season and the first game at Watford.

Adding the new CB's and Colback as CDM has given the squad a spine that's been sorely missing for a long time.

We've even got a bit of pace going forward with the return of Smyth and the emergence of Armstrong as a regular.

I suppose we'll get turned over on Saturday then....

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Sunderland at home on 20:13 - Sep 11 with 6195 viewsLogman

Should be a good game. Ainsworth has got us a lot more functional in the last few games and you know that any player he puts out there is going to give it a good shot.

From memory I imagine the same could be said about Tony Mowbray so it will be interesting to see which of the old dab hands will come out on top.
Sunderland at home on 20:47 - Sep 11 with 6104 viewsCiderwithRsie

Although I'm feeling quite chipper, I'm a bit worried we'll be rubbish at home for reasons Stevec gives. Plus international breaks have generally been a bit traumatic for us over the last year or so.

Still, hoping for a good game. Always had a bit of time for the Black Cats - Newcastle for a city break, Sunderland AFC for a football club, if you see what I mean.
Sunderland at home on 21:04 - Sep 11 with 6050 viewsqpr_1968

in short, love going to sunderland, especially the night game when we beat you 2-0 2014 i think.
great start for you, after beating southampton 5-0.
our recent results are not too bad either.
sitting on the fence here....1-0 to us....1-0 to you....1-1....not much in it.

forget chris rigg, forget gareth ainsworth, ......if your local, how about letting women in the gunner social /working mans club ....not your problem , but ......

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Sunderland at home on 21:24 - Sep 11 with 5997 viewscolinallcars

Sunderland at home on 21:04 - Sep 11 by qpr_1968

in short, love going to sunderland, especially the night game when we beat you 2-0 2014 i think.
great start for you, after beating southampton 5-0.
our recent results are not too bad either.
sitting on the fence here....1-0 to us....1-0 to you....1-1....not much in it.

forget chris rigg, forget gareth ainsworth, ......if your local, how about letting women in the gunner social /working mans club ....not your problem , but ......

Women in social clubs ? By Jupiter sir, this is 1898 !
Sunderland at home on 21:26 - Sep 11 with 5998 viewsqpr_1968

Sunderland at home on 21:24 - Sep 11 by colinallcars

Women in social clubs ? By Jupiter sir, this is 1898 !

the mrs had to sit in the garden.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Sunderland at home on 21:37 - Sep 11 with 5972 viewscolinallcars

Sunderland at home on 21:26 - Sep 11 by qpr_1968

the mrs had to sit in the garden.

It wasn't that many years ago that I went into a little country pub in Suffolk that had no ladies toilet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024