Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glad I’m an old git 16:34 - Sep 21 with 5407 viewsstowmarketrange

My 6 year old grandson has just come home from school and put YouTube on our telly,and he sat there watching some bloke open packets of panini stickers.That’s 30 minutes of my life I won’t ever get back.Now we’re watching some other bloke playing fifa on the PS5.
Whatever happened to children’s imaginations if they prefer to watch this sh@t rather than actually doing it?
Glad I’m an old git on 16:39 - Sep 21 with 4235 viewshubble

It's terrifying, frankly. I feel like kids imaginations are being stolen from them.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Glad I’m an old git on 18:44 - Sep 21 with 4005 viewsolderR

Just wait until he gets into Minecraft.
My grandkids play it, watch you tube vids of it.

I haven't got an f'ing clue what's going on.
Glad I’m an old git on 19:27 - Sep 21 with 3903 viewsBerkoRanger

My Grandkids love this lazy animals video on YouTube Enjoy!
Glad I’m an old git on 19:38 - Sep 21 with 3859 viewsPlanetHonneywood

AI, AR, ChatGPT, and whatever else is coming down the tubes will merely prove what Stephen Hawking said is going to happen to the human brain.

Play snooker, darts or be served by someone in a pub under 30, and they can't add up! Now we're creating mindless generations unable to imagine and more worryingly, think for themselves.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Glad I’m an old git on 19:53 - Sep 21 with 3788 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

Glad I’m an old git on 19:53 - Sep 21 with 3786 viewsqprxtc

Young people are fecking idiots. Always have been.
Glad I’m an old git on 19:59 - Sep 21 with 3762 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Perhaps he's a closet genius and that's his subtle way of asking Grandad to buy him some Panini stickers? In all seriousness, kids watch some inane stuff on YouTube. Some of this rubbish literally gets millions of views. I just don't get it.
Glad I’m an old git on 20:02 - Sep 21 with 3761 viewsTomS

Glad I’m an old git on 18:44 - Sep 21 by olderR

I describe it as online Lego.
Login to get fewer ads

Glad I’m an old git on 20:54 - Sep 21 with 3650 viewsMatch82

Glad I’m an old git on 18:44 - Sep 21 by olderR

The game itself can be a very creative outlet. The idea of watching other people who are much better do it makes no sense to me, but I suppose you can say the same thing about all of us watching 22 other men we've never met play football...
Glad I’m an old git on 21:54 - Sep 21 with 3532 viewsHoopsie

My son does that, watching vids of content made by people who play the game like minecraft and other PlayStation stuff. But he also watches this guy who made chess videos explaining the game or matches involving international chess players. But the thing is, he plays those games as well including chess, so it is not just watching some mindless content for the sake of it.

Watching and learning. Don’t we like to say to others “watch and learn”?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Glad I’m an old git on 22:37 - Sep 21 with 3467 viewsdigswellhoop

dont allow them free range on games this is why we're in the cr4p no disapline go play sports with them any sport outside
Glad I’m an old git on 23:04 - Sep 21 with 3393 viewsLblock

I realised that I move in a different world about four and a half years ago or more

We won a Contract to fit out a massive floor space for a University
The course being taught specifically in this space?? Gaming
Kids around the world were / are paying £9k a year to be taught how to play bloody arcade games!!! If someone had told me that when I was playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, GORF or Scramble as a young un I’d of wet myself

“It’ll be a flop says I”
18 months later they had us back extending the place and making a tournament and demonstration space!!!

Then I learn that one former student had won £1mill in some gaming tournament and others were earning very good money via their YouTube channels

Who’d of thought?

We’ve had it far as I’m concerned

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Glad I’m an old git on 01:43 - Sep 22 with 3298 viewsBoston

You will own nothing and be happy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Glad I’m an old git on 01:55 - Sep 22 with 3293 viewsSydneyRs

There's no doubt the whole world is being dumbed down and independent thought/critical thinking is on the decline. Just look at modern day social media discourse for example and the absolute nonsense some people are prepared to believe. Politicians can blatantly lie without even trying to hide it and get away with it. Or how the media presents news and current affairs, always with an angle rather than just pure facts.

Even being older I find myself being worse at things like mental arithmetic because I always have a calculator available. The constant availability of games, youtube etc narrows kids horizons. My son when younger would spend hours watching people play Minecraft on youtube while said people made a fortune from subscriptions. I could never understand it. Nowadays he at least spends more time playing his guitar and spending time with his girlfriend.
Glad I’m an old git on 01:56 - Sep 22 with 3291 viewsSydneyRs

Glad I’m an old git on 19:38 - Sep 21 by PlanetHonneywood

AI, AR, ChatGPT, and whatever else is coming down the tubes will merely prove what Stephen Hawking said is going to happen to the human brain.

Play snooker, darts or be served by someone in a pub under 30, and they can't add up! Now we're creating mindless generations unable to imagine and more worryingly, think for themselves.

Doing scoring at darts was a great way to become really fast at mental arithmetic. Now they'd just use an app.
Glad I’m an old git on 02:10 - Sep 22 with 3277 viewsstowmarketrange

Glad I’m an old git on 01:56 - Sep 22 by SydneyRs

Doing scoring at darts was a great way to become really fast at mental arithmetic. Now they'd just use an app.

I love to see the look on the faces of younger shop workers when you give them the change to the value of the item you’ve bought.Especially after they’ve already show the amount you owe.
“I’ve got the odd 33p” you tell them and watch their eyes glaze over.
Glad I’m an old git on 05:33 - Sep 22 with 3225 viewsnumptydumpty

Glad I’m an old git on 02:10 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

I love to see the look on the faces of younger shop workers when you give them the change to the value of the item you’ve bought.Especially after they’ve already show the amount you owe.

Logarithms

Do kids today know their hypotenuse from their isosceles triangles !!!

They don't know they're born !!!

We ate cardboard back in my day !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Glad I’m an old git on 07:22 - Sep 22 with 3164 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Glad I’m an old git on 02:10 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

A few years ago, I was in paying for something in a shop in London. The till was playing up, and although the money compartment was open, the server couldn't tap numbers into it.

I said something like '£4.38' to which she replied, 'What?'

I pointed out that this was the change owing to me, to which she blankly replied that we had to wait for the manager. Five frustrating minutes later, Cheech and Chong used their phones to calculate my change and as upon handing me £4.38, she came out with this pearl: 'How did you do that?'

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Glad I’m an old git on 07:39 - Sep 22 with 3144 viewsnumptydumpty

Glad I’m an old git on 07:22 - Sep 22 by PlanetHonneywood

A few years ago, I was in paying for something in a shop in London. The till was playing up, and although the money compartment was open, the server couldn't tap numbers into it.

I said something like '£4.38' to which she replied, 'What?'

I pointed out that this was the change owing to me, to which she blankly replied that we had to wait for the manager. Five frustrating minutes later, Cheech and Chong used their phones to calculate my change and as upon handing me £4.38, she came out with this pearl: 'How did you do that?'

How did you do that ??

Is it because you can play darts ??
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 7:40]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Glad I’m an old git on 08:08 - Sep 22 with 3082 viewsstevec

As I’ve said before, the human race peaked in 1969 when it put a man on the moon.

That’s why I’m fine with global warming, we’ve had our day in the sun. Why I’m comfortable with AI, building our replacement that will cope with a changing environment. Everything that has ever dominated this planet over 5 billion years has been replaced as the world evolved. It’s how it’s meant to be.

Embrace our future, or what’s left of it, there’s still hundreds of years before we become defunct, don’t fear or fight it, enjoy it.
Glad I’m an old git on 09:18 - Sep 22 with 2991 viewsdmm

Glad I’m an old git on 19:53 - Sep 21 by qprxtc

Young people are fecking idiots. Always have been.

Our youth love luxury. They have bad manners and despise authority. They show disrespect for their elders and love to chatter instead of exercise. Young people are now tyrants, not the servants of their household. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up food and terrorize their teachers.
Socrates 5th century bce
Glad I’m an old git on 09:34 - Sep 22 with 2944 viewsEsox_Lucius

Glad I’m an old git on 20:54 - Sep 21 by Match82

The game itself can be a very creative outlet. The idea of watching other people who are much better do it makes no sense to me, but I suppose you can say the same thing about all of us watching 22 other men we've never met play football...

I know there are some gamers on here who will understand the viewing of streamers content as it is a part of engagement in many games today. The days of "You enter a cave, there are 3 exits North, North East and West" and you hit the W key are long, long gone. Todays RPG's require high levels of discerning thinking, good logic and problem solving skills along with rapid reflexes and a high level of digital dexterity. The sandbox building games like Minecraft, No Man's Sky etc. showcase some very talented and creative designers. Minecraft even has a "Forbidden Library tucked away in one of its servers which allows players in countries with heavy censorship access to a library of books that they would otherwise be banned from viewing.
I admit it is a world for young people but it is definitely not a world full off moronic blank minds as being suggested in this thread. If you can't respect them then why would you expect them to respect you?

The grass is always greener.

Glad I’m an old git on 09:35 - Sep 22 with 2944 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What's that noise? Rootin Tootin....

Bill Steer (in clip at start also of Carcass) was also in the 'Om' band on Red Dwarf with Jeff Walker.

#fridaychildrenstvconnectionswithuncletalli
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 10:05]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Glad I’m an old git on 09:46 - Sep 22 with 2913 viewsstowmarketrange

Glad I’m an old git on 09:34 - Sep 22 by Esox_Lucius

I know there are some gamers on here who will understand the viewing of streamers content as it is a part of engagement in many games today. The days of "You enter a cave, there are 3 exits North, North East and West" and you hit the W key are long, long gone. Todays RPG's require high levels of discerning thinking, good logic and problem solving skills along with rapid reflexes and a high level of digital dexterity. The sandbox building games like Minecraft, No Man's Sky etc. showcase some very talented and creative designers. Minecraft even has a "Forbidden Library tucked away in one of its servers which allows players in countries with heavy censorship access to a library of books that they would otherwise be banned from viewing.
I admit it is a world for young people but it is definitely not a world full off moronic blank minds as being suggested in this thread. If you can't respect them then why would you expect them to respect you?

I’m not trying to put all gamers down,but I was initially annoyed at my grandson watching a YouTube video of somebody opening packets of panini football stickers.What can anyone learn from watching that for 30 minutes.
I have had games machines for over 40 years,but I rarely have the patience to finish any of the games.I think black Monday and driver2 on ps2 were about the only games I’ve ever completed.
Glad I’m an old git on 10:16 - Sep 22 with 2859 viewsEsox_Lucius

Glad I’m an old git on 09:46 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

I’m not trying to put all gamers down,but I was initially annoyed at my grandson watching a YouTube video of somebody opening packets of panini football stickers.What can anyone learn from watching that for 30 minutes.
I have had games machines for over 40 years,but I rarely have the patience to finish any of the games.I think black Monday and driver2 on ps2 were about the only games I’ve ever completed.

If I had to guess; the vicarious thrill of panini packets being opened and the content provider getting the stickers that your grandson wants? Is it any different to grown ups watching animals doing silly things or reruns of the 1966 WC final? I can't stand Fortnite or Rocket League but if my grandkids want to kill some time on my PC playing it then that is their choice. I know they don't much care care for Pinball games as a time killer, I do.
A couple of years ago I played a 2D game called Terraria and you need a good working knowledge of Boolean logic to create and operate the traps required for the end game enemies. The game I am currently investing my time in is Genshin Impact, a game that after a short period of levelling up requires the player to construct teams of four which have a symbiotic relationship to each other based on the use of four elemental skillsets and the artefacts required to enhance that symbiosis. This definitely requires the input of content creators and fellow players to understand the finer points of the skill of character building.
I am fully cognisant that there are many posters on here who are looking for, and embrace new music of all genres so it isn't a blanket bah humbug, bloody youngsters today attitude so what is it? A societal issue of protecting your kids by keeping them indoors has probably played a significant part in the move towards online interaction rather than our younger days where one spent all day outside playing football or getting up to juvenile mischief but almost always getting back home safely when the sun went down. Times have changed, whether for good or bad is a debate that has been going on for centuries, but all one can do is accept that the generations below you don't have the same passions as you and the best you can hope for is to enjoy your time with them when you can and when they piss you off on trivial matters, just roll your eyes, smile and try to understand that they are not you.
I honestly hope that this doesn't come across as condescending but between my wife and I we have 17 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren and I DO get how frustrating and annoying it can get when they do something that you wouldn't do .

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024