Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 17:14 - Sep 30 with 123033 viewsGloucs_R

Needs to be a discussion had.....

The squad we've got are not bottom 3.

We're getting tactically outmanoeuvred at home almost every time we play.

It's not a lack of experience in the team anymore. A lack of firepower, possibly, but we should be better than this.

Edit, perhaps I should have said our starting xi are not bottom 3. I agree, the overall squad is poor.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:29]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ainsworth on 19:59 - Oct 23 with 3788 viewsaston_hoop

Not seen the stuff on English TV but always found these videos fascinating. A reminder of what we used to have

[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 20:01]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ainsworth on 20:05 - Oct 23 with 3745 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth on 19:55 - Oct 23 by mart_Goblin

Exactly.

That training ground clip was so insightful..I just can’t imagine we do or set up scenarios anything like this . I know we have a significant down grade of player but we don’t show anything on a match day and haven’t for quite sometime
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 19:56]

I’ve said this on here before I know but speaking to a couple of people who Would Know about this sort of thing, they were alarmed at the training videos posted in pre season and just how basic and low level the drills being done really were. Like… if you went and watched Stockport, Salford, Notts Co, Oxford etc train it would be far more advanced. Admittedly just off a few video clips but yeh. We haven’t had the invite to observe training like the one Warbs extended to us.
Ainsworth on 20:59 - Oct 23 with 3578 viewsTK1

Ainsworth on 19:48 - Oct 23 by Northernr

Having exactly the same experience here while cooking the dinner. This is football now, and we’re talking about “intensity”.

Shaun Derry is the assistant manager/first team coach at Wolves, appointed by O'Neil based on his work at Crystal Palace with Woy H. He takes those sessions that O'Neil is describing. A little while ago I suggested that Derry would be a good appointment to bring in alongside Warnock with a view to taking over in the summer and I think the snarky reply was 'replacing Ainsworth with Derry would be like replacing Derry with Ainsworth'. I'm saying again that it definitely wouldn't be. Gary O'Neil is never hiring Ainsworth to organise his training sessions.
Ainsworth on 21:02 - Oct 23 with 3563 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on 20:59 - Oct 23 by TK1

Shaun Derry is the assistant manager/first team coach at Wolves, appointed by O'Neil based on his work at Crystal Palace with Woy H. He takes those sessions that O'Neil is describing. A little while ago I suggested that Derry would be a good appointment to bring in alongside Warnock with a view to taking over in the summer and I think the snarky reply was 'replacing Ainsworth with Derry would be like replacing Derry with Ainsworth'. I'm saying again that it definitely wouldn't be. Gary O'Neil is never hiring Ainsworth to organise his training sessions.

He hasn't exactly set the world alight when he's been a number 1 though

Also if he hadn't played for us previously he wouldn't even be mentioned a bit like Ainsworth tbh
Ainsworth on 21:27 - Oct 23 with 3476 viewsTK1

Ainsworth on 21:02 - Oct 23 by Rangersw12

He hasn't exactly set the world alight when he's been a number 1 though

Also if he hadn't played for us previously he wouldn't even be mentioned a bit like Ainsworth tbh

I think he probably would. He's a really good coach, apparently - like Mick Beale he's got a reputation and is sought after. He seems a better egg, though, and we know that because we know him.

The previous connection to QPR thing: if there's genuine affection for and especially knowledge of the club it's a good thing. It makes it a little easier for all to know each other first. It doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but then neither does having someone who has no connection to the club.

We've had some brilliant successes as managers who previously played here: Venables, G Francis, Holloway. Gregory was a middling success, ie right man in a difficult period. Only real failures I can think of are Waddock and now probably Ainsworth. Dowie was neither player nor coach for long enough (likewise T Francis); Sibley always felt like a place holder. Who else is there? No doubt forgotten some. Ah yeah: Wilkins! Ended badly, of course. But started much better than Ainsworth. Needed more help.

Dave Sexton, of course, had no previous with the club. Warnock either. But the list of unmourned failures who did not have previous with QPR is far, far longer than those who have.
Ainsworth on 21:59 - Oct 23 with 3365 viewsNortholt_Rs

Ainsworth on 16:26 - Oct 23 by Shev

Wycombe fan here., These posts about GA's record at Wycombe do ignore a lot of context, and the point of why he was so highly regarded coming out of here.

Wycombe were a non league club until the early 90s. They had only finished above 11th in League One once (under the legendary Martin O'Neill) until Ainsworth. GA took the club to their three highest finishes in their history, and also four of the top five. Even getting them promoted out of L2 to begin with and staying in L1 the first season up was miraculous, as the club did not have two pennies to rub together, being fan owned.

The covid season is also massively misrepresented. Wycombe were in the top four all season from the very beginning, mostly top two, and dropped out right before the season paused because their game against Bury (who had been expelled) would have been that weekend. They dropped into a group on 59 and 60 points with six teams all bunched together, the only difference being Wycombe had played a game less, so keeping them out of the playoffs would have simply penalized them for not playing that game.

Wycombe then went up to the Championship, where they had a budget of 4 million against a division average of 30 million. The two main players Wycombe bought to help out (a striker and central defender) were then injured for the whole first half of the season. Wycombe lost their first seven games and were cut severely adrift, but then went on a tear with top six form over the final ten games, barely missing out. It was an incredible effort by a financially overmatched club.

For anyone to say "it took several seasons for GA to get Wycombe promoted to the Championship" or "GA got Wycombe relegated to League One" it completely misses the point that this is the high watermark in the history of a very small club. It would be like saying in 2050 "it took manager X ten years to get QPR into the Champions League so he is obviously terrible", for comparison.

It's clearly not working out for GA at QPR, and it reminds me of Nathan Jones at Luton, who was incredible there in both spells but looked awful at Stoke and Southampton. But there is a reason GA was so highly regarded for his work at Wycombe. We are one of the two or three smallest, traditional non-league clubs (along with Yeovil and Burton) to ever see a season in the Championship. It just has not translated to a bigger club.

Can you take him back now?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Ainsworth on 22:23 - Oct 23 with 3302 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on 21:27 - Oct 23 by TK1

I think he probably would. He's a really good coach, apparently - like Mick Beale he's got a reputation and is sought after. He seems a better egg, though, and we know that because we know him.

The previous connection to QPR thing: if there's genuine affection for and especially knowledge of the club it's a good thing. It makes it a little easier for all to know each other first. It doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but then neither does having someone who has no connection to the club.

We've had some brilliant successes as managers who previously played here: Venables, G Francis, Holloway. Gregory was a middling success, ie right man in a difficult period. Only real failures I can think of are Waddock and now probably Ainsworth. Dowie was neither player nor coach for long enough (likewise T Francis); Sibley always felt like a place holder. Who else is there? No doubt forgotten some. Ah yeah: Wilkins! Ended badly, of course. But started much better than Ainsworth. Needed more help.

Dave Sexton, of course, had no previous with the club. Warnock either. But the list of unmourned failures who did not have previous with QPR is far, far longer than those who have.

I think for me it's because we will eventually turn on them

I loved Ainsworth but at the moment I can't even listen to him because he winds mee up to much and I don't want that to happen to another Rangers player
Ainsworth on 22:36 - Oct 23 with 3265 viewsShev

Ainsworth on 21:59 - Oct 23 by Northolt_Rs

Can you take him back now?

Responded to that further up, as someone else asked too!

Short answer: no.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on 09:09 - Oct 24 with 3004 viewsNorthantsHoop

I have said this before Ainsworth's whole image the long hair, black denim, leather jacket, cowboy boots on the touchline does not look the modern professional sports image and he is probably seen as a bit of a joke by the players. It might have worked at Wycombe but it just looks sad at QPR.
Ainsworth on 09:16 - Oct 24 with 2969 viewsCamberleyR

Ainsworth on 19:47 - Oct 23 by mart_Goblin

Carragher and Gary O’Neil giving fascinating insight on MNF.

We are decades behind .

O’Neil very impressive indeed and even showing what he did in training to how it worked on Saturday . Also showing something as simple as ‘going long’ and getting numbers around the target to gain the second ball. O’Neil practices it and even Arteta did it Saturday . When was the last time we got around Dykes in numbers to gain second ball?
He is so isolated it’s untrue.

Sitting cringing about how advanced football has become and how Stone Age we look.

Yes, yes yes that's all very well but did the Wolves players run their socks off, empty the tank and leave everything on the pitch?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ainsworth on 09:33 - Oct 24 with 2917 viewsngbqpr

It's been said many times on here, but for all the chaos and mismanagement surrounding our beloved club, one thing we DID have was a common thread in coaching style running through Warbs - Beale - Critchley.

It is the modern way, and one that players who've come through pretty much ANY pro club academy all the way down to League 2 / National League, would feel comfortable with.

Sure, you can pick apart each one's work / results - but it was laying down a marker as to how we wanted to play / be coached; and also, in theory, meant we shouldn't need a mass player churn on appointing a new boss.

Amit throwing all that out the window was madness.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ainsworth on 09:41 - Oct 24 with 2878 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth on 09:09 - Oct 24 by NorthantsHoop

I have said this before Ainsworth's whole image the long hair, black denim, leather jacket, cowboy boots on the touchline does not look the modern professional sports image and he is probably seen as a bit of a joke by the players. It might have worked at Wycombe but it just looks sad at QPR.

Sadly, I think the fact that it worked at Wycombe shows that any related issues are down to QPR's players and club culture.

I don't think Ainsworth is doing a good job - we never look properly prepared and organised - and I think his time is up, but his appearance should not be an issue. If the players are making it one, they should take a long, hard look at themselves.

Under three different managers:

They have been woeful for a year.

They have barely scored any goals.

Their finishing is terrible.

There is a visible lack of in game intelligence.

Most of them are nowhere near their best form.

They are failing to do a lot of the basics, the really simple and obvious stuff like tracking back and marking and closing down properly.

Not all our problems are down to the manager(s). If the players or fans are blaming all our problems on Ainsworth, that is a cop out.

Rant over, and breathe.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth on 13:41 - Oct 24 with 2695 viewsaston_hoop

Paddy Kenny has just become manager of AFC Goole so thats another ex-player we have missed out on!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Ainsworth on 14:59 - Oct 24 with 2599 viewswill16macgill

Ainsworth on 17:26 - Sep 30 by Gloucs_R

Not having that mate.

Chair
Willock
Dykes

All decent championship players

Midfield we are weak..Field about the only decent player we have with Colback out.

Cook, Paal, JCS, Morgan and Dunne... all experienced championship players.

Bergovic, experienced keeper. (Crap distribution)

Our first xi should be able to hold it's own
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:27]

Re: Chair, Willock, Dykes

If any of those players were truly Championship quality they would have been sold, and likely for pennies.

Chair is vastly overrated and hasn't had an impact in a game in months. They have figured out how to defend him.

Willock is in a 12 month slump and doesn't look like coming out of it any time soon.

Dykes, for me, is the one most people forget about in all of this chaos. He goes on a run of 3 goals in 2 games and then has a 4 month dry spell. He is one of the least consistent strikers I have ever seen play.

Agree the manager is definitely bottom 3, but so is this squad. They are dire, and I don't think any manager available (given the financials) is saving us.
Ainsworth on 15:05 - Oct 24 with 2571 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth on 14:59 - Oct 24 by will16macgill

Re: Chair, Willock, Dykes

If any of those players were truly Championship quality they would have been sold, and likely for pennies.

Chair is vastly overrated and hasn't had an impact in a game in months. They have figured out how to defend him.

Willock is in a 12 month slump and doesn't look like coming out of it any time soon.

Dykes, for me, is the one most people forget about in all of this chaos. He goes on a run of 3 goals in 2 games and then has a 4 month dry spell. He is one of the least consistent strikers I have ever seen play.

Agree the manager is definitely bottom 3, but so is this squad. They are dire, and I don't think any manager available (given the financials) is saving us.

I basically agree with you. Another manager would stand a better chance, but this squad is a skip fire. And most importantly of all - no goals in it.

You can, and we have, get out of a multitude of difficulties because your crap side has, for instance, Lee Cook on the wing, and so you can score goals. This team doesn't have a goal in it.
Ainsworth on 15:41 - Oct 24 with 2474 viewsBakes

He’s been QPR’d hasn’t he.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Ainsworth on 16:00 - Oct 24 with 2419 viewscyprusmel

Ainsworth on 15:05 - Oct 24 by Northernr

I basically agree with you. Another manager would stand a better chance, but this squad is a skip fire. And most importantly of all - no goals in it.

You can, and we have, get out of a multitude of difficulties because your crap side has, for instance, Lee Cook on the wing, and so you can score goals. This team doesn't have a goal in it.

Why don't we try Smythe on the left wing the same as Orient played him. cutting in and shooting with his right foot, he scored ten goals for the O's, alright it was in a lower division but some of them were crackers, this would then move Ilias into a proper No !0 position where he could be more effective, It would be good to see the link up between Paal and Smythe.
We have to try something different teams have worked out how to stop Chair and he is our main (only) playmaker.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 16:04]
Ainsworth on 16:11 - Oct 24 with 2365 viewsconnell10

Ainsworth on 16:00 - Oct 24 by cyprusmel

Why don't we try Smythe on the left wing the same as Orient played him. cutting in and shooting with his right foot, he scored ten goals for the O's, alright it was in a lower division but some of them were crackers, this would then move Ilias into a proper No !0 position where he could be more effective, It would be good to see the link up between Paal and Smythe.
We have to try something different teams have worked out how to stop Chair and he is our main (only) playmaker.

Sounds like a good plan mate , play players in positions to maybe hurt the opposition.....it will never catch on.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ainsworth on 16:15 - Oct 24 with 2342 viewsTK1

Ainsworth on 16:00 - Oct 24 by cyprusmel

Yeah, I agree this is an option. I don't agree that a team with potentially Smyth on the left, Willock on the right, Chair as a 10 and Dykes as a 9 is totally without goals. It would rely on some pretty miraculous voodoo in the shape of Field and Colback holding midfield properly and a back four functioning for the first time in a decade...but there are goals there. It could be done. If only they'd had a preseason to work on attacking shapes together, but I guess they had to climb those trees and stack those tyres with Leon Balogun.
Ainsworth on 18:54 - Oct 24 with 2224 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ainsworth on 16:15 - Oct 24 by TK1

Yeah, I agree this is an option. I don't agree that a team with potentially Smyth on the left, Willock on the right, Chair as a 10 and Dykes as a 9 is totally without goals. It would rely on some pretty miraculous voodoo in the shape of Field and Colback holding midfield properly and a back four functioning for the first time in a decade...but there are goals there. It could be done. If only they'd had a preseason to work on attacking shapes together, but I guess they had to climb those trees and stack those tyres with Leon Balogun.

Looks good on paper but Smyth usually plays on the right and Willock can't buy a game at the moment.
Ainsworth on 19:26 - Oct 24 with 2109 viewsTK1

Ainsworth on 18:54 - Oct 24 by Benny_the_Ball

Looks good on paper but Smyth usually plays on the right and Willock can't buy a game at the moment.

He was playing on the left for Orient successfully last season, cutting in on his right.
Ainsworth on 21:43 - Oct 24 with 1959 viewsconnell10

Got to go tonight

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ainsworth on 21:46 - Oct 24 with 1920 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ainsworth on 19:26 - Oct 24 by TK1

He was playing on the left for Orient successfully last season, cutting in on his right.

I didn't know that. Makes you wonder why Gareth chooses to use him differently then.

Irrespective, Gareth has got to go.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 21:49]
Ainsworth on 23:43 - Oct 24 with 1759 viewsRangersw12

If only we sacked him after the Bristol City game we wouldn't be in this situation

Whatever small budget we had he wasted it on over the hill players who we're stuck with for 2 seasons

It's going to be very toxic on Saturday so I'm praying he gets them bullet before then so I don't have to hear him get pelters
Ainsworth on 23:50 - Oct 24 with 1723 viewsmart_Goblin

Ainsworth on 23:43 - Oct 24 by Rangersw12

If only we sacked him after the Bristol City game we wouldn't be in this situation

Whatever small budget we had he wasted it on over the hill players who we're stuck with for 2 seasons

It's going to be very toxic on Saturday so I'm praying he gets them bullet before then so I don't have to hear him get pelters

That was the day I realised this wasn’t going to work …Bristol City at home. No pressure. Could have played a progressive young team that got the ball down and played with tempo.

He chose Albert and Amos and we stunk the fcking place out . We have ever since
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024