Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric bikes (non QPR) 20:53 - Oct 6 with 5305 viewsGloryHunter

Anybody got one? Any recommendations?
(I'm on tour in France, and every second bike that overtakes me seems to be electrically assisted. Maybe it's time to accept the inevitable and buy one.)
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:20 - Oct 6 with 3859 viewsHayesender

I was gonna treat myself to one to take around the south downs, until I read somewhere about a tenancy to go up in flames.

Don't fancy my garage going up in a puff of smoke, so I'm holding fire till I do a bit more research

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 21:59 - Oct 6 with 3828 viewsMrSheen

I got a Fiido D11 for Mrs Sheen to take to Ireland this summer to help her over the hills. We love it, zooms up one in six hills at about 15mph. Don’t pretend it’s for exercise, it’s about easy mobility. Quite heavy but once it’s moving you won’t notice, range of up to 40-50 miles. The price is down a lot over the last year, I got it for about £750.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 22:53 - Oct 6 with 3790 viewsEsgaroth

As a big boy motorbike rider I wasn't expecting much when i had a go on my next door neighbor's Ebike.
How wrong was i. Whilst having loads of actual gears it's also got 3 settings of power assistance. 30% 50% and 80%
I was genuinely amazed how good it was, then he told me the price 5 grand 😲 I could buy a proper bike for that 😁

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 08:12 - Oct 7 with 3668 viewsBklynRanger

Rented one in Japan. I don't remember the exact model but it was a Bosch folding one. Didn't even notice it was folding until much later on.

We did a great 2 day route that goes over several bridges and it made it so much more pleasurable not knackering ourselves on the long incline up onto them. There's still the option to drop down to a more 'athletic' setting if you want to of course, but to be able to do a good distance without getting exhausted is slightly addictive.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 08:18 - Oct 7 with 3663 viewsJuzzie

At what point does an electric bicycle become and electric motorbike?
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 08:59 - Oct 7 with 3627 viewsR_from_afar

I don't have an electric bike yet, just my two "normal" ones, my favourite being my refurbished Great Escapist (originally manufactured in 1989), but pundits speak highly of Ribble's e-bikes.

Ribble was also a well established and greatly respected brand before it moved into electric bikes and although their models start at roughly £2000 - far from cheap - they are very lightweight and very pleasing aesthetically. They look like high quality "normal" bikes:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:09 - Oct 7 with 3614 viewsqueensparker

I’m about to pull the trigger on this one through the Cycle To Work scheme after a fair bit of research and rides:

https://www.tenways.com/products/cgo600-pro

It’s mainly for hooning around London so wanted something as light as possible, looks like a normal bike and you can take the battery out to charge it/deter thieves. No gears so will still get some exercise on it.

I think e-bikes are fantastic, got me right back into cycling and perfect for commuting as you don’t arrive all knackered and sweaty. Hired one on a recent trip to Lake Annecy and making mincemeat of the mountain climbs got me hooked!
[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 9:13]
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:11 - Oct 7 with 3613 viewsBklynRanger

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 08:59 - Oct 7 by R_from_afar

I don't have an electric bike yet, just my two "normal" ones, my favourite being my refurbished Great Escapist (originally manufactured in 1989), but pundits speak highly of Ribble's e-bikes.

Ribble was also a well established and greatly respected brand before it moved into electric bikes and although their models start at roughly £2000 - far from cheap - they are very lightweight and very pleasing aesthetically. They look like high quality "normal" bikes:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/

I can't even see the battery on most of those! Which is good, but makes me suspicious, and slightly fatigued looking at it.

Think I'd have to strap one of these to the pannier.

Login to get fewer ads

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:47 - Oct 7 with 3577 viewsRanger_Things

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 08:18 - Oct 7 by Juzzie

At what point does an electric bicycle become and electric motorbike?

There is potential for crossover as power increases, as with motor scooters and motorbikes but presumably the differentiator is wheel/tyre size and type?
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:56 - Oct 7 with 3562 viewsJuzzie

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:47 - Oct 7 by Ranger_Things

There is potential for crossover as power increases, as with motor scooters and motorbikes but presumably the differentiator is wheel/tyre size and type?

At some point things like helmets, licences, insurance, reg numbers, VED etc then has to come into play.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:01 - Oct 7 with 3558 viewsRebalhoop

I’ve got a Bird,on line special from Halfords,pedal assist,bought it to help me get to work with my dodgy knees,10 mile round trips up a sodding steep hill,love it..
Assist up to 25 kph,5 assist modes,have to charge it twice a week.
The only downside is it’s very heavy when not in assist,
Cost £1300
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:00 - Oct 7 with 3519 viewsRanger_Things

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:56 - Oct 7 by Juzzie

At some point things like helmets, licences, insurance, reg numbers, VED etc then has to come into play.

I just checked the government website and it says “ Electric bikes must have a motor output of no more than 250W and a maximum speed of 15.5mph assistance, in order to be legally used on public roads in the UK and MUST use pedal assist”.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:11 - Oct 7 with 3514 viewsDavieQPR

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:00 - Oct 7 by Ranger_Things

I just checked the government website and it says “ Electric bikes must have a motor output of no more than 250W and a maximum speed of 15.5mph assistance, in order to be legally used on public roads in the UK and MUST use pedal assist”.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

If it exceeds this then it is classed as a moped. This involves insurance etc.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:40 - Oct 7 with 3497 viewsBlackCrowe

Bought a Marin Sausalito E2 through cycle2work scheme earlier in the summer. Manual 11 speed and three levels of power assist...absolutely love it. Still get a good workout but cover such distance doing so.

Whatever you buy, my recommend is to buy one with a detachable battery - much less hassle charging.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 13:47 - Oct 7 with 3422 viewsthompsonridd

Looking at getting a couple of these for me and my wife

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/haibike/haibike-trekking-4-low-electric-b

Likewise, done loads of research and read the mid motors are probably slightly better
[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 13:48]
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 13:53 - Oct 7 with 3400 viewsHayesender

I was doing 30mph on the Uxbridge road a couple of years ago on my wee 125, and I got overtaken by someone on one of those electric bikes with the massive wheels

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 23:02 - Oct 9 with 3248 viewsGloryHunter

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 13:47 - Oct 7 by thompsonridd

Looking at getting a couple of these for me and my wife

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/haibike/haibike-trekking-4-low-electric-b

Likewise, done loads of research and read the mid motors are probably slightly better
[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 13:48]

Thanks for the link. I might go down to ebikesdirect and try out a few of their models.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 23:15 - Oct 9 with 3221 viewskensalriser

Stupidly left mine at the Rising Sun in Sudbury Hill earlier.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:19 - Oct 10 with 3067 viewsJuzzie

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 13:53 - Oct 7 by Hayesender

I was doing 30mph on the Uxbridge road a couple of years ago on my wee 125, and I got overtaken by someone on one of those electric bikes with the massive wheels

This is the situation I was alluding to. I see so many 'bicycles' that are doing easily 20-30mph and not even being peddled. Feet are resting and it's being controlled by a throttle.

There are loads of these being sold & used on the road. They need to be treated the same as a PTW (powered two wheel) scooter. Reg number, insurance, license, helmet, the lot.

Why is it if I blap around on a scooter with no number plate, helmet etc I'd likely get pulled over but on one of these 'bicycles'...... nothing.
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:30 - Oct 10 with 3041 viewsqueensparker

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:40 - Oct 7 by BlackCrowe

Bought a Marin Sausalito E2 through cycle2work scheme earlier in the summer. Manual 11 speed and three levels of power assist...absolutely love it. Still get a good workout but cover such distance doing so.

Whatever you buy, my recommend is to buy one with a detachable battery - much less hassle charging.

I like the look of that one a lot. Another one to investigate!
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:32 - Oct 10 with 3038 viewsBlackCrowe

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:30 - Oct 10 by queensparker

I like the look of that one a lot. Another one to investigate!

If you're ever in Kingston area, you're welcome to take mine out for a test ride.

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:33 - Oct 10 with 3036 viewsqueensparker

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:32 - Oct 10 by BlackCrowe

If you're ever in Kingston area, you're welcome to take mine out for a test ride.

Thank you mate very kind. Is it light enough to pick up and carry up stairs / hang on a wall rack etc? That's the main thing for me as I'll need to lug it about a bit
Electric bikes (non QPR) on 11:03 - Oct 10 with 3012 viewsBlackCrowe

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 10:33 - Oct 10 by queensparker

Thank you mate very kind. Is it light enough to pick up and carry up stairs / hang on a wall rack etc? That's the main thing for me as I'll need to lug it about a bit

It's pretty heavy (at least compared to my push bike) but with the battery off it should be ok, need a strong wall bracket though i reckon.

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 13:59 - Oct 10 with 2938 viewslondonscottish

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 09:09 - Oct 7 by queensparker

I’m about to pull the trigger on this one through the Cycle To Work scheme after a fair bit of research and rides:

https://www.tenways.com/products/cgo600-pro

It’s mainly for hooning around London so wanted something as light as possible, looks like a normal bike and you can take the battery out to charge it/deter thieves. No gears so will still get some exercise on it.

I think e-bikes are fantastic, got me right back into cycling and perfect for commuting as you don’t arrive all knackered and sweaty. Hired one on a recent trip to Lake Annecy and making mincemeat of the mountain climbs got me hooked!
[Post edited 7 Oct 2023 9:13]

Looks good. Same idea as the electric Boardman 8.9 hybrid. I got the regular version through CTW. Then this came out.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8.9e-mens-microshift-

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Electric bikes (non QPR) on 14:02 - Oct 10 with 2936 viewslondonscottish

Alternatively you can modify an existing bike with a Swytch kit for £600.

https://www.swytchbike.com/

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024