Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP 14:39 - Dec 7 with 3132 viewsflynnbo

Very sad. Seemed a nice guy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67646607
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:45 - Dec 7 with 3096 viewshubble

Just seen this. A gentle man, a true poet. RIP Benjamin, too young to go.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:46 - Dec 7 with 3099 viewsdmm

Yes, very sad indeed. Although I've never read much of his work, I loved seeing him talk on TV and always agreed with his view on things. A gentle man of wit, principle and positivity.

I enjoyed these poems of his today: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/dec/07/a-sandy-place-a-recipe-for-a-natio
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:55 - Dec 7 with 3068 viewsEsox_Lucius

Saddening and chastening news RIP Professor.

The grass is always greener.

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:57 - Dec 7 with 3058 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I remember him coming round my primary school as a kid in the 80s. I think he went to all the Brent schools.
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 15:22 - Dec 7 with 2994 viewsQPRSteve

Yet another sad loss, RIP
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 15:24 - Dec 7 with 2982 viewsslmrstid

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:57 - Dec 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I remember him coming round my primary school as a kid in the 80s. I think he went to all the Brent schools.

I remember when I was 15 (so 2004-ish) we all had to go to the theatre in Milton Keynes in the daytime to watch all the poets who were featured in our GCSE English Literature study book.

Included the future (at that time) poet laureates of Carol Ann Duffy and Simon Armitage, who are boring now and were boring then as well.

But then Benjamin Zephaniah came on and wowed all the kids with his performance. Brilliant guy. Shame his poems weren't part of the exams and coursework we got set.
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 15:56 - Dec 7 with 2914 viewsTheChef

Strange, was just listening to this the other day. Both vocalists have left us now.

RIP.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 16:23 - Dec 7 with 2856 viewswestberksr

very sad news; always warmed to him whenever he popped up on TV.

seemed a very genuine and gentle man

RIP
Login to get fewer ads

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 20:07 - Dec 7 with 2673 viewsaston_hoop

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 15:24 - Dec 7 by slmrstid

I remember when I was 15 (so 2004-ish) we all had to go to the theatre in Milton Keynes in the daytime to watch all the poets who were featured in our GCSE English Literature study book.

Included the future (at that time) poet laureates of Carol Ann Duffy and Simon Armitage, who are boring now and were boring then as well.

But then Benjamin Zephaniah came on and wowed all the kids with his performance. Brilliant guy. Shame his poems weren't part of the exams and coursework we got set.

Christ, Simon Armitage. GCSE English literature still haunts me..."I am very bothered when I think of the bad things I have done in my life"....Yeah it bothered me too Simon because I had to bloody study it.

Anyway, rest in Peace Benjamin Zephaniah, came across as a good sort.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 21:33 - Dec 7 with 2579 viewsslmrstid

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 20:07 - Dec 7 by aston_hoop

Christ, Simon Armitage. GCSE English literature still haunts me..."I am very bothered when I think of the bad things I have done in my life"....Yeah it bothered me too Simon because I had to bloody study it.

Anyway, rest in Peace Benjamin Zephaniah, came across as a good sort.

I imagine for a posho like him running through a field of wheat or something was the baddest thing he'd done.
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 22:39 - Dec 7 with 2490 viewsStreathamRanger

I got my first job in teaching off the back of a lesson on his poem, The British. A true legend. Such a sad loss. RIP
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 12:08 - Dec 8 with 2199 viewsSheffieldHoop

Didn't this guy admit to knocking his ex-girlfriend about? Along with a whole bunch of other detestable shit? A complex character you might say, but still surprised to see this thread on here without any mention of that.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 12:41 - Dec 8 with 2161 viewsdmm

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 12:08 - Dec 8 by SheffieldHoop

Didn't this guy admit to knocking his ex-girlfriend about? Along with a whole bunch of other detestable shit? A complex character you might say, but still surprised to see this thread on here without any mention of that.

Yes, he admitted to it and regretted hitting her. Strangely, when he later apologised to her, she called him a wimp for doing so and said a man should control his woman.

He wasn't perfect but, of course, no one is. Nonetheless, he was a wonderful human being.
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 13:20 - Dec 8 with 2108 viewsSheffieldHoop

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 12:41 - Dec 8 by dmm

Yes, he admitted to it and regretted hitting her. Strangely, when he later apologised to her, she called him a wimp for doing so and said a man should control his woman.

He wasn't perfect but, of course, no one is. Nonetheless, he was a wonderful human being.

That's interesting, had to look up the full quote
“She turned around to me and said, 'I liked you then, I think you're a wimp now, you've been hanging out with too many white feminists and listening to Radio 4.' It really blew me away. She just laughed at me and said, 'A man has got to learn how to control his women, Benjamin. You’ve lost it."

I find this quote slightly difficult to believe tbh, specifically the listening to Radio 4 bit (How would she know? People who disagree with Radio 4 BS tend not to tune in) and the use of the words "Wimp" and "White feminisits". A little bit too perfect. Or maybe it's poetic license.

Still not convinced "wonderful human being" is proportionate, but each to their own.

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 13:37 - Dec 8 with 2075 viewsPaddyhoops

Great bloke . “ Some of best friends are white” Great quote!
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 13:57 - Dec 8 with 2048 viewsplasmahoop

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 12:08 - Dec 8 by SheffieldHoop

I hadn't realised that. On the jeremy vine show they kept going on about how kind and gentle he was. Bit disappointing really
Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:01 - Dec 8 with 2034 viewsSheffieldHoop

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 13:57 - Dec 8 by plasmahoop

I hadn't realised that. On the jeremy vine show they kept going on about how kind and gentle he was. Bit disappointing really

Same happens on this very forum mate. The fallible LFW groupthink.

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:15 - Dec 8 with 2005 viewsR_from_afar

Taken too early . RIP.

I love this:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:17 - Dec 8 with 1998 viewsTheChef

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:01 - Dec 8 by SheffieldHoop

Same happens on this very forum mate. The fallible LFW groupthink.

Good thing you're here to put everyone right as and when required

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:27 - Dec 8 with 1981 viewsBoston

We forgive all foibles on this board - unless you're Harry Redknapp, Joey Barton...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:35 - Dec 8 with 1954 viewsSheffieldHoop

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 14:17 - Dec 8 by TheChef

Good thing you're here to put everyone right as and when required

Agreed

Benjamin Zephaniah RIP on 15:41 - Dec 8 with 1888 viewsdutch

Met the man many times and yes he had a past, but if you can bring yourself to believe in change and redemption he was living proof. A truly gentle soul but armed with a razor sharp intellect, with time for everybody, a rebel and a traditionalist, he was both a great Britain and an eternal immigrant. he was, or became, one of the very good guys no doubt. We will miss his hard earned wisdom.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024