Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 years ago today.., 00:38 - Jan 1 with 1891 viewsflynnbo

…I was a young teenager watching us demolish Manchester United 3-0 in what was George Best’s final game for them.COYRs.
50 years ago today.., on 01:06 - Jan 1 with 1832 viewsNoelmc

I was at the game too as a thirteen year old. Fantastic day and a portent of the great times to come in the next few years. Was it 51 years though?

Just checked and you are right. I was actually 14 but always had it in my mind it was New Years Day 1973. The memory is slipping!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1:10]
50 years ago today.., on 01:12 - Jan 1 with 1817 viewsqpr_1968

50 years ago today.., on 01:06 - Jan 1 by Noelmc

I was at the game too as a thirteen year old. Fantastic day and a portent of the great times to come in the next few years. Was it 51 years though?

Just checked and you are right. I was actually 14 but always had it in my mind it was New Years Day 1973. The memory is slipping!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1:10]

1st of january 1974.....great day..

up there with that other 4-1 thrashing at old trafford .

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

50 years ago today.., on 01:26 - Jan 1 with 1767 viewsBoston

Yes, also in attendance. Same mental age then as now.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

50 years ago today.., on 01:31 - Jan 1 with 1758 viewsHooparoo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12915079/Man-United-George-Be

This is the game that made me into a QPR fan after watching it with my dad who was a massive United fan. Never realised though that Best was going to come to Loftus Road.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

50 years ago today.., on 01:38 - Jan 1 with 1739 viewsBoston

Unfortunately, no footage of that game but...two goals v Birmingham from that month.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1:38]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

50 years ago today.., on 06:13 - Jan 1 with 1623 viewsHantsR

I remember it well for the wrong reasons. I'd been celebrating NYE nthusiastically and didn't get home until 4 or 5 am. Next I knew it was gone midday and I was supposed to have driven from E17 to SE23 and picked up my Dad to take him to the match. I had to ring him and say I couldn't get to him on time and only just enough time to get to the ground myself. Sadly, it was a packed house and the gates were locked when I got to LR, so I had to return home to resume my hangover. Listening to the score updates on the radio made me ache to have missed out on that game!
50 years ago today.., on 07:47 - Jan 1 with 1577 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It was my first ever QPR game too. My dad was a United fan and with the writing on the wall for Best, he wanted me to see him. His plan totally backfired, as a seven year old boy became enthralled by the team in B&W.

15 years later, I used to drink in a pub Best imbibed in, and while I always wanted to go up to him and bring to his attention how his philandering ways had not only ruined his football career, but mine too, I never did. Instead, I contented myself with knowing nods and a conversation not involving football.

Secondly, some one on here recently wrote about how, if you take the 'R' and 'S' off Rangers, you're left with the abiding emotion and mental state supporting QPR leaves you with. Again, I wish that poster was around to tell me this back then. 50 anger-laden years on from my first visit, I'm afraid today I just can't be bothered to go for another 90 minutes of agitation.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

50 years ago today.., on 10:26 - Jan 1 with 1417 viewsterryb

This was the first day that New Years Day was a Bank Holiday in England & the first season that league fixtures were played on New Years Day (unless it fell on a Saturday).

It was a brilliant day (and season) supporting Queens Park Rangers. You needed to be at the ground not long after 2.00pm to be able to get in. Rather different to the 2.58pm these days!
Login to get fewer ads

50 years ago today.., on 13:37 - Jan 1 with 1268 viewsfrancisbowles

I was there too as a 16 year old.
I seem to remember Best was very poor, maybe hung over, and he was subbed.
Anyone else recall that it have I imagined it?
50 years ago today.., on 13:57 - Jan 1 with 1214 viewsDannyPaddox

My first Rs game wasn’t to be for a few months later but this photo from New Years Day ‘74 is one of my favourites. Stan’s ran rings round half the Man U team leaving them dazed and bewildered while his swagger pre-empts the Stone Roses by almost two decades. Happy New Year all 👍🏼 U RRRRsss!!
50 years ago today.., on 15:23 - Jan 1 with 1168 viewscharmr

Remember standing as a 12 yr old in that walled area for the younger supporters before that lot knocked it down. Seeing Best and Charlton in the flesh 10 yds away still firmly imprinted in a time frame pic in my mind. Definitely in awe.
50 years ago today.., on 17:06 - Jan 1 with 1110 viewsJimthehip

How far we have fallen!
50 years ago today.., on 17:10 - Jan 1 with 1098 viewsPlanetHonneywood

50 years ago today.., on 17:06 - Jan 1 by Jimthehip

How far we have fallen!

Oh that our descent shows any sign of abating itself.

Glad I declined a free ticket for my 50th anniversary and went for a long walk instead.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

50 years ago today.., on 17:41 - Jan 1 with 1049 viewshamptonhillhoop

50 years ago today.., on 07:47 - Jan 1 by PlanetHonneywood

It was my first ever QPR game too. My dad was a United fan and with the writing on the wall for Best, he wanted me to see him. His plan totally backfired, as a seven year old boy became enthralled by the team in B&W.

15 years later, I used to drink in a pub Best imbibed in, and while I always wanted to go up to him and bring to his attention how his philandering ways had not only ruined his football career, but mine too, I never did. Instead, I contented myself with knowing nods and a conversation not involving football.

Secondly, some one on here recently wrote about how, if you take the 'R' and 'S' off Rangers, you're left with the abiding emotion and mental state supporting QPR leaves you with. Again, I wish that poster was around to tell me this back then. 50 anger-laden years on from my first visit, I'm afraid today I just can't be bothered to go for another 90 minutes of agitation.

Range?
Tbf I'm feeling a lot of range on my way home
[Post edited 1 Jan 17:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024