Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff Reflection 17:46 - Jan 1 with 5507 viewsbluenwhite10

Everything about today had a look of a relegation side. When I saw the line up today the team had a look of no goals in it and a lack of creativity about it but in fairness to Marti the cake is only as good as the ingredients you put in it and when you so going deep into the squad it is poor which is backed up against the performance against Ipswich which was good but we had near to our best 11 out on the pitch but today we massively missed Chair, Willock and Cook but I feel at QPR with what we have we are going to see lots of inconsistency in our performances. Cardiff for their part were very very poor in fact probably one of the worst sides we have seen at HQ this season but they are going home with 3 points so FairPlay to them. 1st Half was very poor performance from Rangers who really struggled to play out of the back as there was little movement in front of the ball and Cardiff seemed happy to let Rangers have the ball at the back as we where clueless in what to do with it. Apart from the goal I can’t honestly remember any shots on target from both sides apart from the goal. I not sure if someone did not pick up a
A runner or it was just a good ball in. Second Half saw improvement with Kolli coming on and doing well before his premature exit but before he left he did something that we do not see an enough off a decent ball in which evades the 1st defender. Marti made a shocker in my opinion taking off Dixon-Bonner who in fairness was the one who was always trying to make some happen and replace him with Albert who struggled badly in the middle before going out wide. The winner same a Millwall away Begovic came for something he should have got and missed it by a mile. We huffed and puffed a bit towards the end but with a lack of quality nothing no equaliser materialised. Some shocking performances today Cannon, Larkeche, Dozzell., Dykes and Marti for replacing Dixon Bonner with Albert and for moving Smyth off of the right when for a 10min spell his was roasting the left side at will which saw yellow cards being dished out at will for fouls against him although Smyth was very poor in the 1st. MOM hard to pick one maybe Kolli for his cameo but at a that is at a push. I do appreciate that this is not Marti squad and he is dealing with a very unbalanced squad that he has inherited from the previous hierarchy Ainsworth/Ferdinand and I just hope there is an opportunity to move out some and get some in that he may know from his time in Scandinavia. Not the best start to the year but Best Wishes for 2024 and Come on You R’s

Cardiff Reflection on 17:58 - Jan 1 with 4554 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The team selection was a downer and they didn't disappoint. What a bunch of gutless w*nkers. Hopefully when we go down we get rid of the lot of them - owners, PE teachers and pathetic excuses for footballers who can't defend corners.
Cardiff Reflection on 18:05 - Jan 1 with 4479 viewsNorthLondonR

Cardiff Reflection on 17:58 - Jan 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

The team selection was a downer and they didn't disappoint. What a bunch of gutless w*nkers. Hopefully when we go down we get rid of the lot of them - owners, PE teachers and pathetic excuses for footballers who can't defend corners.

Whilst the majority of life under Ainsworth was miserable, I think today has to be the most disappointed I've felt for a loooong time, especially after midweek. Absolutely zero effort displayed and zero ideas. So disappointing seeing players hide constantly, Cannon, Field and Dozzell notable inclusions
[Post edited 1 Jan 18:05]
Cardiff Reflection on 18:09 - Jan 1 with 4417 viewsplasmahoop

Whilst the outlook is undeniably bleak, the frustration is staying up really should be within our compass. We are rubbish, but so many other teams are really nothing special. If we could just do the basics we'd have half a chance
Cardiff Reflection on 18:14 - Jan 1 with 4351 viewsbosh67

Not sure what Cifuentes is meant to do with that squad today?

It was our Fawlty Towers 'trifle anyone?' and Goon Show 'sorry dear, honey's off' moment.

Team selection options were almost down to Jude and Spart. Doomed from the moment he was given a list of available players. Apparently Kelman managed to injure himself in the warm up. And he's not very good but sums us up.

Pep would have lost that game with what was available. I just hope whatever happens they don't bomb Cifuentes out because we need a total rebuild at the end of this season. I can see the progressive board ditching him and being on the phone to Tony Pulis. Would f*cking serve us right.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Cardiff Reflection on 18:23 - Jan 1 with 4259 viewsstevec

Today felt like 2000 again.

Far too many players who shouldn’t be playing in a side at this level.
Cardiff Reflection on 18:35 - Jan 1 with 4133 viewsdannyblue

At one point in the first half we did something simple. We passed it up the left, had an overlap, and got a cross in. Very basic. But it worked. As OP rightly said, Smyth second half was having joy on the outside right. Just keep on doing it. Basic. The team today does not have the qulity to go through the middle. Just do these basic things 10 times a half. It's got to be better than what we did. Which was nothing. Dozell and Field, with how many hundreds of first team games between them, were just laying off to EDB hoping he would take charge? That's pathetic. All of them constantly passing just behind someone or to their feet. Never crisp, never in front of them, never urgently. Ponderous and timid.

Cardiff were rank. Millwall were rank. These are not good or confident teams. But they don't have to be to win against us. Even in Marti's wins we needed every referreeing decision to go our way.

Losing two best players to injury over Christmas. It's certainly got that relegation feeling.

I now feel like I'm coming to QPR just to see what creative ways they'll come up with to pss me off.
Cardiff Reflection on 18:41 - Jan 1 with 4028 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Cardiff Reflection on 18:14 - Jan 1 by bosh67

It was our Fawlty Towers 'trifle anyone?' and Goon Show 'sorry dear, honey's off' moment.

Team selection options were almost down to Jude and Spart. Doomed from the moment he was given a list of available players. Apparently Kelman managed to injure himself in the warm up. And he's not very good but sums us up.

Pep would have lost that game with what was available. I just hope whatever happens they don't bomb Cifuentes out because we need a total rebuild at the end of this season. I can see the progressive board ditching him and being on the phone to Tony Pulis. Would f*cking serve us right.

Yes, agree today was a real downer. If you're throwing away soft goals like that at home to a bang average team, the writing's on the wall. Chance today for some of them to step up and fight for the points, yet a teenage sub showed the most bottle. Pathetic.
[Post edited 1 Jan 18:45]
Cardiff Reflection on 18:41 - Jan 1 with 4024 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Cardiff Reflection on 18:14 - Jan 1 by bosh67

Oh, I'm not blaming him for the selection; with the absentees, that's all he had. Subs were questionable (apart from the H/T one) but what does he really have to work with? Summed up by our keeper (only here to flog his products) being responsible for their winner, yet there's no one to replace him. Development club.
Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff Reflection on 18:43 - Jan 1 with 3995 viewsrbee

Our set up for both corners was completely wrong and that is down to Marti & Co.

Hugely disappointing.
Cardiff Reflection on 18:51 - Jan 1 with 3862 viewsParkRoyalR

Cardiff Reflection on 18:43 - Jan 1 by rbee

Our set up for both corners was completely wrong and that is down to Marti & Co.

Hugely disappointing.

Agree, last 3 goals conceded, all from corners, all from not being dominant in 6 yard box, Larkeche + Kolli man-marking taller opposition players today with Dunne + JCS free in the space behind!

A poor Cardiff team, unlikely to score from open-play, surely you line your 4 big men up to man-mark for corners?
Cardiff Reflection on 18:58 - Jan 1 with 3771 viewsrbee

Cardiff Reflection on 18:51 - Jan 1 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, last 3 goals conceded, all from corners, all from not being dominant in 6 yard box, Larkeche + Kolli man-marking taller opposition players today with Dunne + JCS free in the space behind!

A poor Cardiff team, unlikely to score from open-play, surely you line your 4 big men up to man-mark for corners?

Absolutely right.

One of the few hopes I had left was my strong faith in Marti Cifuentes but even that has taken a bashing today.
Cardiff Reflection on 19:10 - Jan 1 with 3654 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've never been convinced by zonal marking but some of the best coaches in the world swear by it.

But, either way, if Larkeche jumped for the first goal and if Kolli got ball-side of his man for the second and if Begovic had either judged the flight correctly or stayed on his line both corners would've been cleared.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Cardiff Reflection on 19:20 - Jan 1 with 3576 viewsrbee

I really am no football 'expert' and I am surprised that I picked up on this today!

I would suggest that Zonal Marking is easier to play against.

Having Kolli and Albert picking up players at corners whilst JCS and Field are standing around doing nothing seems totally bonkers to me.
Cardiff Reflection on 19:28 - Jan 1 with 3498 viewsParkRoyalR

Cardiff Reflection on 19:10 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I've never been convinced by zonal marking but some of the best coaches in the world swear by it.

But, either way, if Larkeche jumped for the first goal and if Kolli got ball-side of his man for the second and if Begovic had either judged the flight correctly or stayed on his line both corners would've been cleared.

Yes, but Larkeche was dominated by their much-taller Centre Half and Kolli who is light-weight and not exactly tall, has had minimal game-time at this level, should never be tasked with man-marking in the middle of the 6 yard box surely.

Begovic needs protection and the way we are set up for these corners give him no protection.

JCS was at front post area for Millwall's 2nd goal yet at the far post for Cardiff's 2nd goal today, why the change?
Cardiff Reflection on 19:32 - Jan 1 with 3452 viewsslmrstid

I like Cifuentes and I think if we are able to build a squad in his image it will be a positive thing, but I did say months ago anyone who thought sacking Ainsworth was all that was needed was absolutely kidding themselves.

This is a worse team than 2000/01 for me, no doubt about it, and unless something radical happens in the next 4 weeks we're relegated.

It would be nice to see a few wins before the end of the year, but no way is that team staying up, its atrocious.
Cardiff Reflection on 19:34 - Jan 1 with 3416 viewsmart_Goblin

Cardiff Reflection on 18:43 - Jan 1 by rbee

Hugely disappointing.

It’s not ! It’s about doing your bloody job properly on the pitch . Grow a pair of bollocks and have the desire to do what you have been instructed .

Stop making excuses for this shower of shite
Cardiff Reflection on 19:35 - Jan 1 with 3411 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cardiff Reflection on 19:28 - Jan 1 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, but Larkeche was dominated by their much-taller Centre Half and Kolli who is light-weight and not exactly tall, has had minimal game-time at this level, should never be tasked with man-marking in the middle of the 6 yard box surely.

Begovic needs protection and the way we are set up for these corners give him no protection.

JCS was at front post area for Millwall's 2nd goal yet at the far post for Cardiff's 2nd goal today, why the change?

I'm not defending it, in fact I stated that I''m not convinced by it.

Just pointing out that, system aside, both goals could have been stopped by three players doing the basics correctly.

Cardiff Reflection on 19:36 - Jan 1 with 3383 viewsslmrstid

Something else I did notice today was Willock doing the honours with Duke-McKenna in the fan zone area with a face like a slapped arse, then sauntering down South Africa Road with his hood up, body language screaming "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be approached".

To be fair I'm sure the guy would much rather have been playing than been doing kid duties but its just symptomatic of everything I see from this squad, trying to avoid everything.
Cardiff Reflection on 19:42 - Jan 1 with 3330 viewsrbee

Cardiff Reflection on 19:35 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not defending it, in fact I stated that I''m not convinced by it.

Just pointing out that, system aside, both goals could have been stopped by three players doing the basics correctly.

Very harsh on the inexperienced Rayan Kolli who I would suggest has spent little time in training marking guys twice his size at set peices!
Cardiff Reflection on 19:45 - Jan 1 with 3287 viewsThe_Beast1976

Cardiff Reflection on 19:36 - Jan 1 by slmrstid

Something else I did notice today was Willock doing the honours with Duke-McKenna in the fan zone area with a face like a slapped arse, then sauntering down South Africa Road with his hood up, body language screaming "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be approached".

To be fair I'm sure the guy would much rather have been playing than been doing kid duties but its just symptomatic of everything I see from this squad, trying to avoid everything.

They all need to go. All of them
Cardiff Reflection on 19:54 - Jan 1 with 3189 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cardiff Reflection on 19:42 - Jan 1 by rbee

Very harsh on the inexperienced Rayan Kolli who I would suggest has spent little time in training marking guys twice his size at set peices!

He's playing big-boy ball now, rbee, and I'm delighted for him.

But it is big-boy ball.

Cardiff Reflection (n/t) on 19:56 - Jan 1 with 3145 viewsdigswellhoop

Cardiff Reflection on 20:24 - Jan 1 with 2965 viewsbaz_qpr

A few thoughts

Looking at the team selection it screamed bagel for us and would be a case if we could keep them out, knowing they are the best set piece team in the league.

The thing that struck me 1st half was how passive we were, no intensity no movement. Quite shocked at the WSL match ratings for Dozzell (can only be based on 2nd half) because it was prime Dozzell hiding that, constantly moving into a space where he could not be passed to. We barely could make it into the final 3rd let alone create a chance and the crowd was getting more and more aggy. Larkache gave us nothing left wing and lost his man for the goal. First time booed off under Marti.

Had assumed Armstrong would be on 2nd half maybe on the left, so Kolli was a surprise, and he changed the game in our favour from the off with it looking like a Marti masterstroke. We were much more intense, Dozzell stopped hiding and that was a Chair like cross for our equaliser.

I know we lost a bit of momentum, but the Adomah for EDB substitution was a real turning point. Not sure what this is about replacing Dixon Bonner at 60 minutes, I really like the kid and he was on of the few positives from this season. Is this coming from the fitness guys? Albert in midfield was an absolute disaster from the off and we started conceding possession to their press and it just put us in unnecessary trouble

Then we concede, 100% on Begovic that one, he had no right to attempt to come for that one and was miles away from it, he'd made some decent saves as well in this game.

I think Marti realised straight away what a disaster Albert was and had to change it but then we lost the outlet of Smyth down the right. Times up for Albert I'm afraid and he's probably on a decent wage too.

Game over from then on really.

On set pieces I think if you are really poor at taking them, its not surprising that you are going to be really poor at defending them, as that is what you are going to be training with. Set piece taker has to be super high on the shopping list if we are going to survive. But I think like many today was the day I accepted we are going down. This is the worst team since Harford and without Chair far worse than the Francis / Holloway one the similarities are very strong, unable to spend our way out, and a squad that is so far short bar 6 or 7 players
[Post edited 1 Jan 20:27]
Cardiff Reflection on 20:35 - Jan 1 with 2849 viewsTacticalR

Cardiff Reflection on 19:54 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

He's playing big-boy ball now, rbee, and I'm delighted for him.

But it is big-boy ball.

At least he's got big hair.

Air hostess clique

Cardiff Reflection on 20:41 - Jan 1 with 2797 viewsBostonR

First visit for sometime.
The team that started and finished will be relegated. Cardiff showed that you don’t need much to be mid-table-that tells you how poor we are. Dykes was everything I expected-L2 level at best and that’s generous.
What would we do to have both Cardiff CB’s?
You can’t tell me there aren’t better keepers at L2 level rather than the haphazard Begovic? Christ - he can’t even kick a ball properly!
In my opinion today we need a GK, a feck-off centre back, ball playing midfielder and two forwards who can actually run, compete and with a bit of technical ability.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024