Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. 13:54 - Jan 31 with 992 viewsSnipper

I was at a mates house earlier with another mate, and one of them was telling a story about a geezer who ran a lottery syndicate in his work, but he was pocketing the money instead of buying lottery tickets.
He said he’d have ripped the geezers head off if he was part of his syndicate.

Anyway, I mentioned about a syndicate we’re both in with the Euro lottery. There was a work colleague who hadn’t paid for 2 years, and I said he wouldn’t be entitled to any winnings if we’d have won the jackpot.
My mate said he would’ve been entitled as he’s a registered name on the syndicate records with Camelot, even though his line was being paid by the geezer running it.

We had a proper heated discussion about whether he’d be entitled to any money. No fisticuffs or anything, but a proper heated discussion with laughter involved.

As this site is brilliant for finding things out, can I ask who would be correct?

Would the fella who hadn’t paid for 2 years be entitled to any winnings?

It’s all hypothetical, as we won sod all anyway :-)).
Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 13:57 - Jan 31 with 946 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My ex Partner run our one. We all signed a National Lottery template contact that says payment must by up to date.
Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:09 - Jan 31 with 904 viewsloftboy

I used to run on early 2000’s. Had one bloke who never had his quid, I always put it in, I mentioned to him that if he didn’t start paying he won’t get his share as per the agreement I got everyone to sign, he then started to quote the law of the land and that I was wrong.
With that I jacked it in, it just wasn’t worth the hassle.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:14 - Jan 31 with 881 viewsslmrstid

Can't help on the legals but back in the 1970s my Grandad was in a Pools syndicate with some of his workmates in the factory they worked in and they won the jackpot one week.

Ten of them shared the prize, I came across a newspaper cutting of it after he passed and worked out what he'd won was worth about £100,000 each in today's money. Not enough to retire on and never work again, but for a factory worker who'd only ever been able to work from paycheck to paycheck it was absolutely lifechanging and he was able to change the lives for him, my Grandma and my mum (as a child) radically with buying their own home and car.

Good on him.
Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:17 - Jan 31 with 858 viewsGaryBannister86

Surely not paying the syndicate on any given week means no payout?

My favourite lottery win likelihood stat, beats the "hit by lightning" one

If you live in London, it is 12 times more likely you win the jackpot than if you hail a black cab, you only tell the cabbie you live in London and no more, and they end up taking you to the correct door.

Still play it, though, obviously. The other way of looking at is the old 50% chance. You either win it or you won't.
Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:25 - Jan 31 with 818 viewsMytch_QPR

Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:17 - Jan 31 by GaryBannister86

Surely not paying the syndicate on any given week means no payout?

My favourite lottery win likelihood stat, beats the "hit by lightning" one

If you live in London, it is 12 times more likely you win the jackpot than if you hail a black cab, you only tell the cabbie you live in London and no more, and they end up taking you to the correct door.

Still play it, though, obviously. The other way of looking at is the old 50% chance. You either win it or you won't.

"Surely not paying the syndicate on any given week means no payout?"- that was my thought initially, but then I guess that quite a few syndicates reinvest small winnings back in to the pot, so theoretically if one member missed a week or two he or she could argue that they still had money invested in the scheme.

I should imagine there are basic agreements available online you can get where the rules are set out.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:40 - Jan 31 with 759 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well as they say, if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle.

An agreement is essential in a syndicate for all eventualities of not-paying etc. But I saw Barrywhomresidesintheloft mentioned Camelot have a template.

Not seen one myself, and I am sure it would deal with all the issues surrounding non-payment by syndicate members. However, I'd also bet there is a reference to the organiser acting as an agent for the syndicate. The reason this is important, is that if s/he were to kick the bucket at any stage within seven years of paying out to syndicate members, there might be IHT issues if no agreement is in place.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:44 - Jan 31 with 730 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hypothetical lottery syndicate question. on 14:40 - Jan 31 by PlanetHonneywood

Well as they say, if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle.

An agreement is essential in a syndicate for all eventualities of not-paying etc. But I saw Barrywhomresidesintheloft mentioned Camelot have a template.

Not seen one myself, and I am sure it would deal with all the issues surrounding non-payment by syndicate members. However, I'd also bet there is a reference to the organiser acting as an agent for the syndicate. The reason this is important, is that if s/he were to kick the bucket at any stage within seven years of paying out to syndicate members, there might be IHT issues if no agreement is in place.

Here you go

https://www.cdn-national-lottery.co.uk/c/files/syndicate-agreement.pdf
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024