Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Sam Field 22:26 - Feb 3 with 8878 viewsqueensparker

I feel bad posting this, as the man has been putting in Herculean efforts for years at QPR keeping back the Championship hordes. And in the first five minutes it felt like the whole team were looking around wondering where he was to put a tackle in.

But it did also seem today that the midfield were turning and passing forwards more than I’ve seen for a while. And it’s an element of Sam’s game (and that of the gladly departed Dozzell) that we’ve been sorely lacking.

No Sam Field on 17:08 - Feb 4 with 3351 viewsParkRoyalR

No Sam Field on 16:45 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

"Cifuentes is still making mistakes for me as bringing on a clearly unfit Frey nearly had disastrous consequences yesterday as we were unable to hold the ball up, press and lacked presence defensively for last half hour."

Agree that the substitution nearly cost us the win, and for the exact reasons you list.
The problem was, though, that Armstrong was on a yellow and once again was tiring.

And I'm not sure who else could have been brought on for him.

Armstrong tends to tire / cramp after 60-70 minutes so better option would have been to take Armstrong off and push Dykes up to lead press (assuming he was'nt injured) with Chair, Hodge and Smith playing behind him.

This option would also have helped our defending at corners & set-pieces as Dykes is 1 of the 3 designated to defend the 6 yard line and with Field being one of the others (with Cook) also out yesterday, this makes it an even stranger decision, especially when you re-watch Colback & JCS when we conceded.

Arguably positive early changes won us the game but after Millwall away substitutions and Cardiff defensive set-up for set-pieces, still not 100% Cifuentes totally gets how to close out games in the Championship.

Anyhow, delighted he's got a couple of his type of player through the door in Hayden & Hodge and hopefully these two can make a big difference in some difficult upcoming games.
No Sam Field on 17:12 - Feb 4 with 3342 viewsBrianMcCarthy

But who would you have brought on, and where would you have played them?

All he had left on the bench at that stage was two full-backs and two centre-backs.

Edit: Maybe Larkeche to 11 and Chair to 10? With Dykes going to 9 as you suggest. Ok, Paal got injured two minutes later and Larkeche would then have to go to 3, but at the time maybe that change might have worked?
[Post edited 4 Feb 17:44]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

No Sam Field on 18:03 - Feb 4 with 3225 viewsParkRoyalR

No Sam Field on 17:12 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

But who would you have brought on, and where would you have played them?

All he had left on the bench at that stage was two full-backs and two centre-backs.

Edit: Maybe Larkeche to 11 and Chair to 10? With Dykes going to 9 as you suggest. Ok, Paal got injured two minutes later and Larkeche would then have to go to 3, but at the time maybe that change might have worked?
[Post edited 4 Feb 17:44]

Yes, I would have done as you say, not wanting to criticize Cifuentes but those of us who have watched games in this league forever have seen some Managers who are very good at closing out games and I still think Cifuentes is learning this aspect on the job, made all the more difficult as you say with what has been up til now a very weak bench most weeks.
No Sam Field on 18:15 - Feb 4 with 3190 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No Sam Field on 18:03 - Feb 4 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, I would have done as you say, not wanting to criticize Cifuentes but those of us who have watched games in this league forever have seen some Managers who are very good at closing out games and I still think Cifuentes is learning this aspect on the job, made all the more difficult as you say with what has been up til now a very weak bench most weeks.

Thanks ParkRoyal.

I see your point. I'm not sure that I'd call it a "mistake" exactly by Cifuentes, I think that might be strong, but the Frey sub definitely didn't work and I'm not sure how it could given how immobile he was (is?).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

No Sam Field on 18:25 - Feb 4 with 3160 viewsNorthantsHoop

What I find amazing about this discussion is that optimism is returning. I like Field but he is far too laboured in his play for a change of approach to a a quick attacking midfield team, Dixon-Bonner needs a mention moves the ball well and gets it going forward. On Armstrong he is a right handful and frightening defenders with a pacy midfield on tap i.e. Hodge chances are going to come. Personally thought he played a simple but great ball in for Hodge to score a very good calm goal, not seen that much this season have we. Willock is still a bit too laboured and going through the motions, whereas Paul Smyth really looks up for it every time he plays and has something to prove.
No Sam Field on 11:37 - Feb 5 with 2926 viewsBurnleyhoop

No Sam Field on 11:31 - Feb 4 by ParkRoyalR

Disagree on this Burnleyhoop,

Now we have mobile midfielders who can break the line and actually run behind defences and our target man, Dykes could become a key player in the run-in.

Dykes does this similar role well for the Scotland team, pinning back the Centre Halves, creating space for the 10's and flick-on's for the midfield runners.

Cifuentes is still making mistakes for me as bringing on a clearly unfit Frey nearly had disastrous consequences yesterday as we were unable to hold the ball up, press and lacked presence defensively for last half hour.

Dykes's overall play has been decent enough of late (not great by any means) but now we have mobile midfielders, potentially supported by Cannon & Larkeche in our next game, I would drop the experiment with him as a 10 and revert back to Dykes as our target man in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 and use Armstrong as a last half hour sub if we need to go to two up top.

Think you might have misinterpreted my post Park.

I believe Dykes will now lose his place as an attacking midfielder behind Sinclair due to the arrival of Hodge, who looks ideal for that role.

Dykes will now have to compete for the lone striker role with Armstrong and Frey (unless Cifuentes opts to go with 2 up front). We now have options and Cifuentes can set up dependant on the opposition, but I personally think Dykes game time is likely to significantly reduce.
No Sam Field on 13:56 - Feb 5 with 2743 viewsgolborne

No Sam Field on 11:37 - Feb 5 by Burnleyhoop

I believe Dykes will now lose his place as an attacking midfielder behind Sinclair due to the arrival of Hodge, who looks ideal for that role.

Dykes will now have to compete for the lone striker role with Armstrong and Frey (unless Cifuentes opts to go with 2 up front). We now have options and Cifuentes can set up dependant on the opposition, but I personally think Dykes game time is likely to significantly reduce.

Just want to add that Hodge is a defensive midfielder by trade, and was playing very deep for the last 20+ mins. In fact I can't remember him going forward post the goal. Marti might give him a different role, but it won't be his natural one. Blackburn left themselves so open for the goal that I think any player close enough would have run into that space.
No Sam Field on 18:11 - Feb 5 with 2537 viewsstainrods_elbow

No Sam Field on 13:56 - Feb 5 by golborne

Just want to add that Hodge is a defensive midfielder by trade, and was playing very deep for the last 20+ mins. In fact I can't remember him going forward post the goal. Marti might give him a different role, but it won't be his natural one. Blackburn left themselves so open for the goal that I think any player close enough would have run into that space.

His Wikipedia page lists him as a 'defensive midfielder', but our Offish calls him a 'ballplaying' one - perhaps he's a bit of both? At the age of 21, he also has a lot of time to develop. Certainly, his goal at Blackburn suggests he can get forward, pop up with a goal, and make an attacking difference. Let's hope so!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Login to get fewer ads

No Sam Field on 18:12 - Feb 5 with 2580 viewsAntti_Heinola

Well Marti says he's an 8 or a 10.

Bare bones.

No Sam Field on 18:29 - Feb 5 with 2540 viewsParkRoyalR

No Sam Field on 11:37 - Feb 5 by Burnleyhoop

I have you right on that one Burnleyhoop as if Hodge can play that central 10 role, a role we've sorely needed filling, that position should be his,

Cifuentes then needs to decide does he go with a target man in Dykes to give the 10's space to play or does he go with the pace of Armstrong; Dykes gives you more game control whereas Armstrong gives you more attacking threat; a similar discussion as to whether you start Willock or Smyth on the right.

Field and Dykes were 2 of the 3 selected to defend the 6 yard line to good effect against Millwall & Huddersfiled, and without these two in the team, I fear we will lack height in key defensive situations like how we lost the Cardiff game, with Cook being the only reliable presence to defend the 6 yard box; especially as Begovic is no Seny Dieng in commanding his area.

Its a hard one to call and its good to have options and I just hope Cifuentes gets the balance right.
No Sam Field on 16:53 - Feb 6 with 2346 viewsstantheman10

No Sam Field on 18:12 - Feb 5 by Antti_Heinola

Well Marti says he's an 8 or a 10.

Hodge himself said he doesn't mind playing as a 6, 8 or 10 as long as he's playing!
No Sam Field on 16:55 - Feb 6 with 2335 viewsaston_hoop

No Sam Field on 16:53 - Feb 6 by stantheman10

Hodge himself said he doesn't mind playing as a 6, 8 or 10 as long as he's playing!

Something like Luke Amos during his hot period where he started scoring goals would be nice!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

No Sam Field on 16:13 - Feb 7 with 2039 viewsBenny_the_Ball

No Sam Field on 16:55 - Feb 6 by aston_hoop

Something like Luke Amos during his hot period where he started scoring goals would be nice!

Remind me, when exactly was this "hot period" you speak of?
No Sam Field on 18:09 - Feb 7 with 1913 viewsaston_hoop

No Sam Field on 16:13 - Feb 7 by Benny_the_Ball

Remind me, when exactly was this "hot period" you speak of?

21/22 season when he chipped in with 6 goals from midfield when no other QPR midfielder before or since has done such a thing in years

No Sam Field on 18:20 - Feb 7 with 1860 viewsParkRoyalR

No Sam Field on 18:09 - Feb 7 by aston_hoop

21/22 season when he chipped in with 6 goals from midfield when no other QPR midfielder before or since has done such a thing in years

Probably the last time I can remember a Midfielder breaking the line and running on like Joe Hodge did on Saturday.

Not too much to ask from a Midfielder, forsake the endless sideways ball recycling occasionally and actually run into the danger area.

Amos had lots of limitations but because he did occasionally run through on goal we were just blown away.
No Sam Field on 18:28 - Feb 7 with 1840 viewsaston_hoop

No Sam Field on 18:20 - Feb 7 by ParkRoyalR

Probably the last time I can remember a Midfielder breaking the line and running on like Joe Hodge did on Saturday.

Not too much to ask from a Midfielder, forsake the endless sideways ball recycling occasionally and actually run into the danger area.

Amos had lots of limitations but because he did occasionally run through on goal we were just blown away.

It should hardly be rocket science for a midfielder, hoping we don't coach this out of Hodge as we need goals and we need midfielders to finally start chipping in with some

No Sam Field on 21:31 - Feb 7 with 1722 viewspaulparker

Am I the only one who finds Field limited, slow and very overrated ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

No Sam Field on 22:07 - Feb 7 with 1633 viewsBurnleyhoop

Also been described as a “box to box” midfielder, which clearly implies he has an attacking element to his game. Can’t argue he dropped deeper after Blackburn scored, but with the exception of a Frey, so did everyone else in an attempt to shut up shop.
No Sam Field on 23:09 - Feb 7 with 1519 viewsderbyhoop

I dont think I'd want to watch us defending set pieces with Chair, hodge and Smyth.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

No Sam Field on 07:16 - Feb 8 with 1331 viewsGus_iom

No Sam Field on 08:54 - Feb 4 by ThGrimRanger

Armstrong must’ve wondered what the feck was going on for our second goal when one of our own midfielders made a run beyond him. When does that ever happen?

It wasn't a pass, just a heavy touch, then?!
No Sam Field on 07:28 - Feb 8 with 1311 viewsGus_iom

No Sam Field on 18:15 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks ParkRoyal.

I see your point. I'm not sure that I'd call it a "mistake" exactly by Cifuentes, I think that might be strong, but the Frey sub definitely didn't work and I'm not sure how it could given how immobile he was (is?).

Well, Frey won a couple of headers, but no one was close enough to him to benefit from them. Maybe Marti wanted that 'out' option. Armstrong is a crucial player to us, and a bit prone to injury, so taking him off understandable. Also on a yellow, as you have said - what if, in fact, he had started the fouling which led to the fk which indirectly led to their goal?

As for Field, he has spent the last 2 seasons fire-fighting, I reckon he'll come back stronger from this small break and look a better player for having better players around him.

Hodge had a good debut, that's all so far. Sam scored on his debut too.
No Sam Field on 12:28 - Feb 8 with 1038 viewssevenhoop

No Sam Field on 21:31 - Feb 7 by paulparker

think that's harsh but he has his limitations and the two worst are (1) an almost 100% refusal to use his right foot and (2) a seeming inability to turn on the ball and face the other side's goal and make forward passes, opening up the way to attack
No Sam Field on 14:20 - Feb 8 with 886 viewsTheChef

No Sam Field on 12:28 - Feb 8 by sevenhoop

think that's harsh but he has his limitations and the two worst are (1) an almost 100% refusal to use his right foot and (2) a seeming inability to turn on the ball and face the other side's goal and make forward passes, opening up the way to attack

Oi I love Sammy leave him alone.

Arguably though he is a lot more effective without the ball than he is with it.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

No Sam Field on 22:43 - Feb 9 with 599 viewsDamo1962

No Sam Field on 21:31 - Feb 7 by paulparker

No 🙂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024