Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! 11:21 - Feb 9 with 3999 viewsnumptydumpty

My grammar skills do not extend to semi colons.

When are they used for punctuations ??

And when people write their pieces of prose on here, who pays special attention to their grammar !! 😆

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:23 - Feb 9 with 3052 viewsTheChef

Fortunately, you know how to use exclamation marks.

Although you don't need to put in a space before them or other punctuation marks.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:26 - Feb 9 with 3028 viewsGaryBannister86

They are funny things but as a top-notch educator (well, 11+ anyway), I do know this. They officially connect two independent clauses (or, if you like, build on the first part of the sentence). eg

The library was closed; I worked at home instead.

The restaurant was full; we got a takeaway.

That will be £50 tutor fee, thanks.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:43 - Feb 9 with 2961 viewsPetros

Useful for dramatic effect. Bosingwa performed poorly for QPR; indeed many considered him to be the most inadequate player in the club's history. (Who tackled like a semi-colon.)
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:46 - Feb 9 with 2929 viewsMetallica_Hoop

That's weird, I was wondering about this the other day when I typed one by accident.

Now I know, cheers.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:53 - Feb 9 with 2884 viewsSonic_Hoop

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:26 - Feb 9 by GaryBannister86

They are funny things but as a top-notch educator (well, 11+ anyway), I do know this. They officially connect two independent clauses (or, if you like, build on the first part of the sentence). eg

Most commonly used; when making a list, getting rid of multiple instances of and, tidying up a cluttered paragraph, getting your word count down.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 12:45 - Feb 9 with 2766 viewscaliforniahoop

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:26 - Feb 9 by GaryBannister86

Excellent, I never knew this.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 12:46 - Feb 9 with 2765 viewscaliforniahoop

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:23 - Feb 9 by TheChef

Although you don't need to put in a space before them or other punctuation marks.

Not helpful
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 12:48 - Feb 9 with 2758 viewsTheChef

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 12:46 - Feb 9 by californiahoop

Not helpful

Well I thought I was being helpful, while there was a question around syntax and grammar.

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 14:55 - Feb 9 with 2591 viewsnumptydumpty

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 11:23 - Feb 9 by TheChef

Ok. Thanks for that.

Yes, I tend to overdo the exclamation mark for dramatic effect.

And put a gap in front on screen because to me, it looks more balanced, weird person, that I know I am.

My follow up question of the day, when then does one use a full blown, big boy, colon?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:05 - Feb 9 with 2533 viewsGaryBannister86

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 14:55 - Feb 9 by numptydumpty

Ok. Thanks for that.

And put a gap in front on screen because to me, it looks more balanced, weird person, that I know I am.

My follow up question of the day, when then does one use a full blown, big boy, colon?

Think of a colon (mainly) as introducing a list.

So:

The players I rate: Cook, Armstrong and Field.

Rather than the semi colon:

Begovic is a useless mercenary; we should play Walsh.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:37 - Feb 9 with 2461 viewsderbyhoop

I'm using a French keyboard, where the semi colon is in the place where a full stop goes on a GBR keyboard; so excuse me if they appear in random places.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:40 - Feb 9 with 2445 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:05 - Feb 9 by GaryBannister86

Think of a colon (mainly) as introducing a list.

So:

The players I rate: Cook, Armstrong and Field.

Rather than the semi colon:

Begovic is a useless mercenary; we should play Walsh.

This helps.

Thanks folks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:52 - Feb 9 with 2401 viewsstainrods_elbow

One thing I thought on the topic of the colon: Taylor Richards plays (if he ever plays) like he's been shat out of one.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:52 - Feb 9 with 2412 viewsBucksRanger

You can also use a colon to seperate a title from a subtitle.

Brian McCarthy: The Friendly Face of Ireland.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:55 - Feb 9 with 2399 viewsSpaceman_P

I teach English here in Spain where I live.

I always tell the students use the semi-colon if you want to introduce a new idea or something unrelated to the main clause in your final sentence.

The Begovic sentence example is pretty good.

another example would be

Ilias is a great football player for QPR; he occasionally is good at throwing stones too.

Les Ferdinand was DOF for QPR; he's now on the dole down Hounslow Job Centre.
[Post edited 9 Feb 16:01]
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 16:16 - Feb 9 with 2344 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Do you know there are as many bacteria and viruses in your upper and lower intestine (colon), than there are cells in your body; this makes us all potentially half human, half bug.

Fact of the Day.
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 16:29 - Feb 9 with 2303 viewsTheChef

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 15:52 - Feb 9 by stainrods_elbow

One thing I thought on the topic of the colon: Taylor Richards plays (if he ever plays) like he's been shat out of one.

That's not nice.

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 2152 viewspaulparker

This thread is taylor made for loftgirl it might be the only time he /she/they actually come in handy

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 17:51 - Feb 9 with 2152 viewsnumptydumpty

I would have input a comma and added the words " so we" or "therefore we".

Seems as though its used to be more succinct.

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 17:58 - Feb 9 with 2138 viewsnumptydumpty

Alright I am on a roll with this now.

Can anyone please educate myself for languages such as Hebrew, Mandarin or any that seem to have plentiful complex diagrams instead of our bog standard 26 letters, how on earth are their keyboards set up.

These are the things that keep me awake at night !! 😆

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 18:12 - Feb 9 with 2110 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

use your semi colon when you just need a quick sh*t; a full colon is a post vindaloo sit down with a book and put your phone on voicemail
[Post edited 9 Feb 18:12]

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 18:34 - Feb 9 with 2074 viewsSpaceman_P

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 16:29 - Feb 9 by TheChef

That's not nice.

Gonna be a grammar nazi and say.... that's not a semi-colon there in your sentence

Replied to wrong bloke, was meant to reply to the bloke your replied too.

[Post edited 9 Feb 18:36]
Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 14:29 - Feb 10 with 1796 viewsBoston

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 14:55 - Feb 9 by numptydumpty

Ok. Thanks for that.

Have you had your period yet?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 18:19 - Feb 10 with 1649 viewskensalriser

You learn something every day; I thought this is what's left after you've had a partial colonectomy.
[Post edited 10 Feb 18:20]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Does anyone know what the uses of a semi colon !!! on 22:56 - Feb 10 with 1552 viewsGloryHunter

Wow, what an amazing thread. As a (retired) journalist, I know that punctuation is vital to getting your point across. But I gave up trying to explain it to people years ago. In my opinion, you either get it, or you don't. I always just copied writers that I admired. Look at Nick Hornby (love him or loathe him) - he breaks classical punctuation rules, but you always know what he's trying to say. Whereas that James Joyce - blimey!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024