Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is your Non-League side? 21:31 - Feb 28 with 12002 viewsSpaceman_P

Okay, we're all Rangers through and through, but if you had to choose a Non-League outfit as your 2nd club who would it be.

Me, I grew up in West London, but moved to West Sussex in my late-teens. lived most of my life their til moving to Spain in 2018.

So my non-league sides are Horsham and Dorking Wanderers. If push came to shove though, would love to see Dorking enter the football league one day.

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:33 - Feb 29 with 1741 viewsBluce_Ree

It was Sutton FC for a while as I worked with a Sutton fan and went to a few matches. My local team at the time was Tooting and Mitcham but the last time I went there people were acting like right counts.

Of course Sutton are in the league now but, more importantly, f**k Sutton and f**k non-league football. It's bad enough watching the supers at times without actively seeking out much worse football.

Anyway, I live up north now and my village has a non-league team so I thought I'd scope them out. Anyway, I googled where they play and was confused because there's literally nothing there (it was one of my regular running routes). Turns out they are there, there's just no stands or facilities just a pitch behind the bushes. F**k that. I'm not standing in a field watching shite like some sort of f**king chief.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:47 - Feb 29 with 1696 viewsstowmarketrange

Who is your Non-League side? on 07:50 - Feb 29 by ColesIndyRs

Biggleswade Town, AKA the Waders.

If you want some decent funny non league stuff I can highly recommend checking out the YouTube channel for a nice chap called Ogmios. He watches and commentates on Hackney marsh Sunday league matches but in a very chilled fashion.

Thanks.I can’t stop watching it now.Do you know how many episodes there are?
Who is your Non-League side? on 09:53 - Feb 29 with 1689 viewsizlingtonhoop

I was there!

with probably every other teenage male in town...

Didn't know a very young Gary Lineker was there too, until a few years ago!

Edit: The freekick taker, Mickey Mann (is not a Mouse!), was a PE teacher at our school and, possibly (can't find out) my English teacher's husband, Paul Kitson in goal.

NB As of 2022:

Using probability theory, the university was able to verify a historical top ten of the least likely scorelines from the last 50 years of the competition. The research has ranked Harlow’s famous home win against Leicester in 1980 as the eighth least probable third round result in the last 50 years of the competition.

I don't know if eighth is important. But more important than 9th.

Edit ii:

https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/one-in-16-million-win-is-the-most-improbabl

Harlow Town 1-0 Leicester City (1980) – 1 in 1,800 (being born on a leap day is 1 in 1,461)

How is that for a coincidence!?
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:23]
Who is your Non-League side? on 09:55 - Feb 29 with 1673 viewsColesIndyRs

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:47 - Feb 29 by stowmarketrange

Thanks.I can’t stop watching it now.Do you know how many episodes there are?

15 so far but he is pretty much weekly. It's probably my favorite thing on the internet right now.
Who is your Non-League side? on 09:57 - Feb 29 with 1669 viewsterryb

Who is your Non-League side? on 21:45 - Feb 28 by stowmarketrange

Needham Market are mine,closely followed by Stowmarket Town as they have a nicer clubhouse.Needham look almost guaranteed for another promotion this season,but I’m not sure which league they’d go into.

I would be surprised if they avoid National League North. To avoid this, I think at least 3 of the relegated clubs from the NL would have to be northern & that looks unlikely.

I grew up in love with the club that should (please, please!) win the Southern League South this season - Chesham United.

On Tuesday night though, I was annoyed with them for "only" drawing at home to Hanwell! I had to remind myself that they have 74 points from 32 games, will still be 10 points above Gosport (if Gosport win their 2 games in hand) & have gained 32 points out of the last 36!

What gets me is that nearly all of the 22 points "dropped" this season are to teams in the bottom half of the league, including 2 draws against the last placed club!

Hopefully, local games against Slough, Hemel & St Albans will be back next season. Perhaps "local" matches at Braintree & Chelmsford for me as well!
[Post edited 29 Feb 9:59]
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:05 - Feb 29 with 1633 viewsrobith

My mate Bam supports his local team Gresley Rovers, who folded, became Gresley, then reformed again as Gresley Rovers. They're the team I've seen most other than QPR. He wrote a book about it, in which I feature a couple of times (Gresley were away in Brum the same day QPR were at West Brom so we went up together)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Talk-About-Non-League-Football/dp/B0BM879YL2/ref=s

I used to go to Dulwich Hamlet cos he lived down there and would go when Gresley weren't playing but it got fairly unbearable quite quickly.

Living in Walthamstow the last 8 years I've been to Walthamstow FC a few times, good craic with the Exale beers on sale. Decent crowd without being the mindless middle class cosplaying you get at Clapton and Dulwich
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:06]
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:19 - Feb 29 with 1584 viewsNorthernr

Grimsby again shortly.
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:26 - Feb 29 with 1563 viewsloftboy

Born in Bracknell so Bracknell Town, lived in Chertsey for 25 years so also Chertsey Town amd now live in Lowestoft so get down there a few times a season.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Who is your Non-League side? on 10:26 - Feb 29 with 1566 viewsnumptydumpty

Next season my non league side is Reading football club !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Who is your Non-League side? on 10:35 - Feb 29 with 1544 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I don't have one as such but always support the home team when I go.

I liked St Albans with the cathedral in the background.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Who is your Non-League side? on 10:38 - Feb 29 with 1528 viewsJPC

Walton and Hersham. Daughter’s boyfriend plays for them so I go along when I have a spare saturday
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:39 - Feb 29 with 1519 viewsAberystwythR

Staines Town, if they can ever get their ground back!
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:42 - Feb 29 with 1499 viewsGalileo

Maidenhead United.
Who is your Non-League side? on 10:55 - Feb 29 with 1451 viewsGloucs_R

Grew up and played for Slough Town Youth / Res.

Was a season ticket holder for Gloucester City until this year, almost predictable what has happened to them!!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Who is your Non-League side? on 11:03 - Feb 29 with 1445 viewsdaveinmelbourne

CHE…LMS….FORD, Chelmsford City FC!
Who is your Non-League side? on 11:24 - Feb 29 with 1409 viewsHayesender

Growing up in Shepherd's Bush, I never really had any affinity to non league clubs. Lived in Hayes for a couple of years, and went to see them a couple of times when they were still at Church Rd, and still keep an eye out for their results now they're Hayes & Yeading.

Now I live on the south coast, its Littlehampton town, even though some of their fans think they're 80's Millwall, if you know what I mean

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Who is your Non-League side? on 11:38 - Feb 29 with 1400 viewsqprmarkoct1966

Edgware Town , many afternoons spent at the old White Lion Ground , sadly now gone. They have relocated to Silver Jubilee Park in Kingsbury and ground share with Hendon , not the same though , 3 G Pitch !
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:23 - Feb 29 with 1309 viewsstowmarketrange

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:57 - Feb 29 by terryb

I would be surprised if they avoid National League North. To avoid this, I think at least 3 of the relegated clubs from the NL would have to be northern & that looks unlikely.

I grew up in love with the club that should (please, please!) win the Southern League South this season - Chesham United.

On Tuesday night though, I was annoyed with them for "only" drawing at home to Hanwell! I had to remind myself that they have 74 points from 32 games, will still be 10 points above Gosport (if Gosport win their 2 games in hand) & have gained 32 points out of the last 36!

What gets me is that nearly all of the 22 points "dropped" this season are to teams in the bottom half of the league, including 2 draws against the last placed club!

Hopefully, local games against Slough, Hemel & St Albans will be back next season. Perhaps "local" matches at Braintree & Chelmsford for me as well!
[Post edited 29 Feb 9:59]

That would be a disaster for the Marketmen if they had to join that league.There’s enough travelling to the midlands in their current division let alone some of the trips in the NL north.
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:24 - Feb 29 with 1303 viewsSydneyRs

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:24 - Feb 29 by loftus77

Another 'Stones fan here of long ago. Lower Mead, changing ends (thats the fans) at half-time, the Cordice brothers, Paul Bowgett (?). And they won the 'double' once (Conference and FA Trophy or something?).

Enfield were always the 'enemy' iirc.
[Post edited 29 Feb 9:25]

Won the double in 85 before winning the league meant promotion to the football league. Produced Stuart Pearce and Vinny Jones around that time.

Yes Enfield were the arch enemy.

Remember the Cordice brothers and Dennis Byatt was another. Oh and the very skilful if often selfish Tony Lynch (hence the greedy bastard chant he used to get). Think he was at Brentford for a bit.

The away players used to get severe stick, especially the keepers who had no escape due to the fans changing ends at half time. Once the Hayes keeper (Paul Hyde I think) came in the bar afterwards wanting to take people on after 90 mins of non stop abuse 😀

Good to see them back at a decent level after things went very downhill following the ground sale.
[Post edited 29 Feb 12:30]
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:25 - Feb 29 with 1301 viewsstowmarketrange

Who is your Non-League side? on 09:55 - Feb 29 by ColesIndyRs

15 so far but he is pretty much weekly. It's probably my favorite thing on the internet right now.

I’m up to 5 now.I can’t believe I haven’t seen any real trouble yet,and no linesmen either.
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:34 - Feb 29 with 1260 viewsterryb

Who is your Non-League side? on 12:23 - Feb 29 by stowmarketrange

That would be a disaster for the Marketmen if they had to join that league.There’s enough travelling to the midlands in their current division let alone some of the trips in the NL north.

There's currently a lot of travelling from Suffolk in the NLS as well. Truro (who are moving back to Truro next season), Taunton, Weston -Super-Mare, Torquay, Yeovil, Bath & Weymouth.

Bishops Stortford are currently in the north & Lowestoft were. How Needham could afford the wages that players would demand for the travel in either division is beyond me!

Do you know what ground grading improvements they would need to carry out? Although, I think they would be promoted without them & have until next March to carry them out.
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:45 - Feb 29 with 1241 viewsstowmarketrange

Who is your Non-League side? on 12:34 - Feb 29 by terryb

There's currently a lot of travelling from Suffolk in the NLS as well. Truro (who are moving back to Truro next season), Taunton, Weston -Super-Mare, Torquay, Yeovil, Bath & Weymouth.

Bishops Stortford are currently in the north & Lowestoft were. How Needham could afford the wages that players would demand for the travel in either division is beyond me!

Do you know what ground grading improvements they would need to carry out? Although, I think they would be promoted without them & have until next March to carry them out.

They have improved the ground in the last few years,but I don’t know what they would need to do to bring the ground up to the required standards for that league.I doubt that it would be very much though.They have a relatively wealthy backer behind them and a decent manager in Kevin Horlock,but there must be a limit to how far up the leagues they can go.

They used to be in the same division as Stowmarket town,but there is a big gulf between the two teams now and there will be 2 further divisions apart next season as Stowmarket haven’t won a game all season and look certain relegation candidates.
Next stop Blyth Spartans then.
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:51 - Feb 29 with 1224 viewshantssi

Who is your Non-League side? on 00:27 - Feb 29 by Boston

They were certainly well run one Saturday afternoon.

But..Wembley FC, attended many matches in the day, and secondly Wealdstone, the Wealdstone of old, easy few stops up from North Wembley.

Me too, saw Wealdstone at Wembley against, I think, Boston Utd.
Now due to location I guess I look out for Eastleigh but have never been although I drive past their ground every day on the way to work.
Who is your Non-League side? on 12:52 - Feb 29 with 1223 viewsTelford_QPR

Telford United, so currently in same division as a couple of previous posters - Needham Market and Kettering. Hoping we join Needham in promotion via the play offs and get back to National League North but it has been nice getting to some close away games and new grounds this season.
Who is your Non-League side? on 13:00 - Feb 29 with 1210 viewsplasmahoop

Who is your Non-League side? on 06:45 - Feb 29 by BexleyHoop

Welling United as they are closest to me and I pop down there for the odd game every year, but used to go a lot to Dartford FC when they played at Watling Street when I was a lot younger.

Cray Wanderers are fairly local and may pop down to watch a game when their new ground is built on the Old Dock Labour Board ground (Flamingo Park) on the A20.

I used to go to welling a bit when I was younger, as I grew up in Erith. Haven't been for years though, and haven't lived there for over 30 years.
Have occasionally gone to Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, but not often.
I actually think non league football seems ridiculously expensive, was about 12 quid to see Tonbridge last time I went and that wasn't recently. Would rather pay more and see QPR(even this season)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024