Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calendar question. 11:04 - Feb 29 with 2335 viewsSnipper

With it being leap year, February has the extra day added. And today is that day.

Does anybody know why February normally only has 28 days?

Why not 29 days, and take a day from a 31 day month?

I’m off sick at the mo, and I’m bored. 🥱
Calendar question. on 11:06 - Feb 29 with 2036 viewsWokingR

Because February is a shitty month and the shorter it can be made, the better.
Calendar question. on 11:27 - Feb 29 with 1968 viewsJuzzie

I guess you could make February 30 days by taking a day off two months that are already 31.

But yes, it's a shitty month so the sooner it's over the better! My 6 year old daughter is already so excited because tomorrow is spring (going by the meteorological calendar).
Calendar question. on 11:30 - Feb 29 with 1951 viewsE17hoop

February's 28 days stem from a blend of an attempt to align with the lunar year and Roman beliefs about even numbers being unlucky
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/culture-online/case-studies/2021/mar/why-did-we-decide-giv

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Calendar question. on 11:35 - Feb 29 with 1932 viewsHoopsie

I guess you could make February 29 or 30 days. Fact is, one of those months (January / March) would still have to have one day less every 4 years, or it still poor old February losing one day every 4 years?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Calendar question. on 11:37 - Feb 29 with 1926 viewsTheChef

The calendar is an odd one.

Never makes sense to me why New Year is in the middle of winter when it makes much more sense to align with the seasons and have it in March/April.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Calendar question. on 11:39 - Feb 29 with 1912 viewsMaggsinho

Calendar question. on 11:37 - Feb 29 by TheChef

Never makes sense to me why New Year is in the middle of winter when it makes much more sense to align with the seasons and have it in March/April.

That's down to the Romans and Numa in particular. He changed the first month from March to January as January was named after Janus, the God of beginnings so it made sense.
Calendar question. on 12:50 - Feb 29 with 1776 viewsstowmarketrange

The last day of the month is pension day for some of us,so can we take 2 days off every month and have 13 months instead?
Calendar question. on 12:53 - Feb 29 with 1767 viewshantssi

Calendar question. on 12:50 - Feb 29 by stowmarketrange

The last day of the month is pension day for some of us,so can we take 2 days off every month and have 13 months instead?

My dad used to get paid 13 times a year, he always said he got 1 free month and that was for holidays etc!
Login to get fewer ads

Calendar question. on 13:04 - Feb 29 with 1747 viewsW4Hoop

Calendar question. on 11:37 - Feb 29 by TheChef

Our calendar used to start the year in April until we adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1751. The rest of Europe switched in 1582, but we held back because we thought the Gregorian calendar was a fiendish plot devised by the Pope.
Calendar question. on 13:44 - Feb 29 with 1665 viewsTheChef

Calendar question. on 11:39 - Feb 29 by Maggsinho

That's down to the Romans and Numa in particular. He changed the first month from March to January as January was named after Janus, the God of beginnings so it made sense.

Cheers!

Still, March makes more sense to me, but hey I'm not a Roman emperor

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Calendar question. on 13:50 - Feb 29 with 1637 viewsMonkey_Roots

Calendar question. on 13:44 - Feb 29 by TheChef

Cheers!

Still, March makes more sense to me, but hey I'm not a Roman emperor

But obviously the god of new beginnings doesn't exist, so it makes no sense in 2024.

Let's change it back - who's with me?
Calendar question. on 14:42 - Feb 29 with 1552 viewsstowmarketrange

Calendar question. on 12:53 - Feb 29 by hantssi

My dad used to get paid 13 times a year, he always said he got 1 free month and that was for holidays etc!

My Mrs also gets 13 monthly payments working for the largest supermarket chain in the country.Every little helps I guess.
Calendar question. on 15:30 - Feb 29 with 1459 viewsLblock

I got arrested, charged and found Guilty over stealing a calendar

The bastards gave me 12 months

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Calendar question. on 16:15 - Feb 29 with 1407 viewscolinallcars

Soon be spring when, as the old saying goes, a young man's fancy turns to avoiding relegation.
Calendar question. on 16:36 - Feb 29 with 1336 viewssaxbend

I don't know the answer to your question, but I appreciate any reminder that this gem exists:

Calendar question. on 16:38 - Feb 29 with 1328 viewsBoston

Calendar question. on 13:50 - Feb 29 by Monkey_Roots

But obviously the god of new beginnings doesn't exist, so it makes no sense in 2024.

Let's change it back - who's with me?

No, stick it up your Janus.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Calendar question. on 17:57 - Feb 29 with 1208 viewskensalriser

Calendar question. on 16:38 - Feb 29 by Boston

No, stick it up your Janus.

Is that you, Hugh?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Calendar question. on 18:44 - Feb 29 with 1159 viewsPeterHucker

Apparently this extra day in February is all down to Julius Caesar.
When he was in Egypt, he liked their solar calendar that had extra days every few years to make things line up with the movement of the stars.
I think it's awfully inconvenient of our planet to take 365 and a bit days to orbit our star, rather than exactly 365 which would make things a lot simpler.

But I've got another bone to pick with Julius Caesar and the calendar.
Before his time, we had September which means the 7th month, October the 8th month, November the 9th month and December the 10th month.

Julius Caesar comes along and quite rightly points out that there should be 2 more months in the year in order to make things align with our orbit around the sun.
So he invents June (named after the Roman goddess Juno) and July (named after him)

He could quite easily have put those months in at the end of the year, after December. Then the months that are actually named the 7th 8th 9th and 10th months would still have been the 7th 8th 9th and 10th months.
But instead he sticks his 2 new months right in the middle of the year and fücks up the whole naming and numbering system.

I think he just wanted the month named after him to be a sunny one that everyone likes, the vain bȧstard.

I know this is hardly the worst thing that Julius Caesar was responsible for. The slaughter of more than half the population of Gaul is probably a lot worse in the grand scheme of things, but even so WTF Julius?!?!?!
Calendar question. on 19:38 - Feb 29 with 1102 viewsguitarzan

Why during a leap year, do we add the extra day in February . Why not add it in June when it’s nice and warm
Calendar question. on 19:46 - Feb 29 with 1087 viewssaxbend

Calendar question. on 19:38 - Feb 29 by guitarzan

Why during a leap year, do we add the extra day in February . Why not add it in June when it’s nice and warm

I wouldn't be surprised if that decision was made in Australia.
Calendar question. on 20:14 - Feb 29 with 1063 viewsenfieldargh

Try having this conversation in Turkmenistan and see where it gets you!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Calendar question. on 21:15 - Feb 29 with 1013 viewsSuperhoops2808

29th February is important to us

Mrs Superhoop proposed to me 27 years ago on a leap year
Calendar question. on 21:45 - Feb 29 with 978 viewsstowmarketrange

Calendar question. on 21:15 - Feb 29 by Superhoops2808

29th February is important to us

Mrs Superhoop proposed to me 27 years ago on a leap year

It must’ve been 28 years ago surely.
Calendar question. on 22:09 - Feb 29 with 950 viewsMrSheen

Calendar question. on 13:04 - Feb 29 by W4Hoop

Our calendar used to start the year in April until we adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1751. The rest of Europe switched in 1582, but we held back because we thought the Gregorian calendar was a fiendish plot devised by the Pope.

The Russians switched even later. The “October” revolution was in November. Helps explain why it was so hard to find Red October.
[Post edited 29 Feb 22:10]
Calendar question. on 08:21 - Mar 1 with 804 viewsSuperhoops2808

Calendar question. on 21:45 - Feb 29 by stowmarketrange

It must’ve been 28 years ago surely.

Good point - Thats the problem when you get old
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024