Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 68029 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Begovic on 14:53 - Apr 27 with 2404 viewsted_hendrix

Sod being a goalkeeper.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Begovic on 14:59 - Apr 27 with 2375 viewsQuillPenRiot

Begovic on 14:46 - Apr 27 by Antti_Heinola

Very good performance from Begs last night, other than the bouncing ball into the box first half that he inexplicably refused to come for - that is probably his biggest failing. But that's a minor point in an otherwise very strong display. We defended superbly from front to back and sideways, but against a side like Leeds you will also need your keeper to be on it and make a save or two, and he was and did, with 2 good saves and some safe handling.
Best wishes to him whatever he does after this summer, whether it's retirement or another year or two elsewhere. I've been critical, but there's nothing wrong with his attitude on the pitch.

A lot of players have improved greatly under Marti and Begovic is one of them. If Marti chooses to keep him for next year I’m all for it, would like to see a promising young keeper as well at the least though if he takes this route
Begovic on 15:03 - Apr 27 with 2360 viewscaptainmycaptian

Begovic on 14:53 - Apr 27 by ted_hendrix

Sod being a goalkeeper.

Last two gane he has made massively crucial save. The one against Preston goes in we were one down under huge huge pressure and that would have rolled into the Leeds game. Same last night save to keep us ahead and not allowing the opposition back into the game. Yes a younger keeper is needed but possibly a experienced mentor?
Begovic on 15:07 - Apr 27 with 2333 viewsfrancisbowles

Will we see Walsh get a start at Coventry?

It's pointless playing Begovic if he is departing and it may be a game with nothing riding on it.
Begovic on 16:24 - Apr 27 with 2219 viewsdavman

Begovic on 15:07 - Apr 27 by francisbowles

Will we see Walsh get a start at Coventry?

It's pointless playing Begovic if he is departing and it may be a game with nothing riding on it.

If Begovic is off, it would be a great move to give Walsh a start, but if he's playing, I suspect that he will stay for one more season.

He has picked up over the last couple of games, but is that because he is playing for a contract?

Would prefer a younger model myself (in so many ways...) .

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic on 16:59 - Apr 27 with 2147 viewsWegerles_Stairs

He played well last night but under no circumstances should he get another year. Let's move on; we need a mobile keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and I'm certain Marti will recognise that for his style of play.
Begovic on 17:12 - Apr 27 with 2113 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 14:59 - Apr 27 by QuillPenRiot

A lot of players have improved greatly under Marti and Begovic is one of them. If Marti chooses to keep him for next year I’m all for it, would like to see a promising young keeper as well at the least though if he takes this route

No, thank you. Time to move him on.
Begovic on 17:16 - Apr 27 with 2111 viewsChrisNW6

Begovic on 14:46 - Apr 27 by Antti_Heinola

Very good performance from Begs last night, other than the bouncing ball into the box first half that he inexplicably refused to come for - that is probably his biggest failing. But that's a minor point in an otherwise very strong display. We defended superbly from front to back and sideways, but against a side like Leeds you will also need your keeper to be on it and make a save or two, and he was and did, with 2 good saves and some safe handling.
Best wishes to him whatever he does after this summer, whether it's retirement or another year or two elsewhere. I've been critical, but there's nothing wrong with his attitude on the pitch.

I gave him pelters last night for not coming out for that ball, but when I watched back on TV it looked like the correct decision.

Very solid game.
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 17:19 - Apr 27 with 2084 viewsRangersw12

Played well last night but as others have said needs to be moved on for a younger more dynamic keeper

He's also probably on decent money which will be another reason to let him go
Begovic on 18:26 - Apr 27 with 2001 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 17:19 - Apr 27 by Rangersw12

Played well last night but as others have said needs to be moved on for a younger more dynamic keeper

"also probably"? and that's your clincher? I despair.

The grass is always greener.

Begovic on 20:29 - Apr 27 with 1873 viewsrichpr

Begovic on 17:19 - Apr 27 by Rangersw12

And who might this dynamic, young goalkeeper be?
Begovic on 20:34 - Apr 27 with 1840 viewssaxbend

Just like managers, getting rid of players doesn't improve anything. Bringing in a new one can. If we have already identified a first choice keeper who isn't called Asmir Begovic, then we will probably let Asmir go. (He may or may not want to stay anyway, but it would mean a paycut if so). If we haven't got anyone else coming in then or course we will offer Begovic another year.

I'm sure no-one actually imagines that we will release Begovic and then magically we will have a keeper who does better than him, but a lot of posts are written in a way that implies their authors believe exactly that.
[Post edited 27 Apr 20:35]
Begovic on 20:54 - Apr 27 with 1764 viewsAntti_Heinola

Begovic on 20:34 - Apr 27 by saxbend

Just like managers, getting rid of players doesn't improve anything. Bringing in a new one can. If we have already identified a first choice keeper who isn't called Asmir Begovic, then we will probably let Asmir go. (He may or may not want to stay anyway, but it would mean a paycut if so). If we haven't got anyone else coming in then or course we will offer Begovic another year.

I'm sure no-one actually imagines that we will release Begovic and then magically we will have a keeper who does better than him, but a lot of posts are written in a way that implies their authors believe exactly that.
[Post edited 27 Apr 20:35]

why bother signing anyone ever then? what a weird post.

Bare bones.

Begovic on 20:59 - Apr 27 with 1744 viewssaxbend

I don't think I can answer your question until you explain how what I wrote prompted it.
Begovic on 21:59 - Apr 27 with 1629 viewsOakR

I think he's done well overall and been part of a much iproved defence.

Lots of mention of young keepers - I don't really care age wise, especially with keepers, but with the way we want to play I suspect someone much more comfortable with their feet will be the focus. Be interesting what Marti thinks of the current crop - I guess Walsh and Salamon will become 2 and 3, or maybe 1 and 2.

So I guess do we go with Walsh and Salamon (unlikely but I have no idea) and invest elsewhere if we think Walsh is ready / see how he does against Coventry and pre-season. If not I guess it's Begovic again unless we can find someone else. I'd have thought Walsh must be close now if he is ever going to be.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Begovic on 22:48 - Apr 27 with 1497 viewsFredManRave

Hands up if you think he should be given an extra year on his contract.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Begovic on 00:59 - Apr 28 with 1318 viewscaptainmycaptian

The saves made last night kept us ahead. Very very different game if they scored and made it 1.all. Small margins turn things round quickly
Begovic on 07:36 - Apr 28 with 1093 viewsdmm

This point has been made a number of times but, Begovic does not seem to be a Cifuentes type player. I'm convinced Cifuentes will want a keeper who is good with his feet as well as his hands, and Begovic is not that keeper.

Yes, Begovic has made some crucial saves in the last few games but being a good shot stopper is a basic requirement for any keeper these days. Cifuentes will want more than that and most importantly he'll want a modern day sweeper keeper.
Begovic on 07:44 - Apr 28 with 1032 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic on 07:36 - Apr 28 by dmm

This point has been made a number of times but, Begovic does not seem to be a Cifuentes type player. I'm convinced Cifuentes will want a keeper who is good with his feet as well as his hands, and Begovic is not that keeper.

Yes, Begovic has made some crucial saves in the last few games but being a good shot stopper is a basic requirement for any keeper these days. Cifuentes will want more than that and most importantly he'll want a modern day sweeper keeper.

It's hilarious that the bloke (finally) makes some decent saves and a good commanding catch in - what - two games out of 46, or say about 5 games in 46 total, and suddenly new contracts are demanded. Bonkers.

Do we give Dykes a new 5 year deal because he's put in two consecutive good games right at the end?

We've seen it all before, got it all wrong before. It's the consistent, all season people like Field and Cook and Barbet that need these things, not the look-at-me-in-the-last-couple-of-games types.

I am a big fan of Dykes but I just don't know how he can't put those last two shifts in more often. That should be his game (not the scoring, the barging around).
Begovic on 13:54 - Apr 28 with 818 viewsJules4367

Personally I would like to see Begovic and Dykes move onward, leave while they are 'on top' and can remember us cheering them as opposed to jeering them!

Back in those far off days of the 1980s, there was an inciteful book about good management (albeit referencing offices, etc) -
it's still out there (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Minute_Manager)
but one of it's fundamentals was that if you are going to criticise someone for not doing what they should, then you should also praise them when they do something well!

It is a simple tenet but overlooked by many managers (office based or armchair football managers) : "always give credit where it is due!".

I've been very critical of both Begovic and Dykes this season but, in the 'one minute' I am allowed by the book, I have to say that they have both played very well when we needed them to so well done both of them!

But, as with Albert, please now leave is on a high!
Begovic on 14:04 - Apr 28 with 791 viewsW7Ranger

Just to put a put a balance here and defend Asmir a bit.

We've conceded 57 goals this season. (Begs is shit!)
Last season we conceded 71! (Dieng is great!)

There are also 15 teams (YES, FIFTEEN!) with a worse defencesive record in the Championship than us!!

Bit of context eh? No keeper is completely faultless in a whole season. But Begs has generally been good more times than he's been shit IMO.

If he stayed another year, I wouldn't be too dissapointed. Either way, I trust Marti and the coaches to make the right decision about out keeper more than us fans.
Begovic on 14:47 - Apr 28 with 748 viewsRangersw12

Begovic on 18:26 - Apr 27 by Esox_Lucius

"also probably"? and that's your clincher? I despair.

2 decent games and people are wanting to give him a new contract

I despair....
Begovic on 14:50 - Apr 28 with 729 viewsRangersw12

Begovic on 20:29 - Apr 27 by richpr

And who might this dynamic, young goalkeeper be?

Eh Its not my job to find one
Begovic on 14:57 - Apr 28 with 697 viewsdmm

Begovic on 14:04 - Apr 28 by W7Ranger

There are also 15 teams (YES, FIFTEEN!) with a worse defencesive record in the Championship than us!!

Bit of context eh? No keeper is completely faultless in a whole season. But Begs has generally been good more times than he's been shit IMO.

If he stayed another year, I wouldn't be too dissapointed. Either way, I trust Marti and the coaches to make the right decision about out keeper more than us fans.

A very fair point but I think our defenders this season should take great credit for us conceding fewer goals than last season.
Begovic on 15:01 - Apr 28 with 683 viewsHoopsie

Begovic on 14:04 - Apr 28 by W7Ranger

To put into perspective Begovic’s flap at Plymouth, the following week, Preston keeper fumbled mis-catch led to Dykes’s goal and the incredible back spinner own goal by Blackburn keeper against Wednesday

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024