Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread 13:39 - Apr 9 with 5079 viewsSuperhoops2808

With the football season coming to a close in a months time, some here will turn their attention to the smell of freshly mown grass and long days sat in the hot sunny weather watching the great game of cricket.

As a member of Kent Cricket Club, I got to enjoy my first match of the season against Somerset at Canterbury over the last few days. Unfortunately, as is always the way starting the season this early, the first day was lost to rain. In fact nearly all the games were affected by rain, some without a ball even being bowled.

But I did manage to get to see 2 centurions at Canterbury yesterday and a very enjoyable day of cricket (even if I did get sun burned head - Yes I know should have taken a cap).

Did anyone else get to see cricket over the last few days? I know we have several Middlesex supporters who no doubt enjoyed the 'runfest' at Lords (over 1300 runs I believe)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:57 - Apr 16 with 2270 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:30 - Apr 16 by derbyhoop

Not sure about that but it must be close. I thought Sam Robson got a few tons at the back end

Don't know if the Kookaburra gets the blame but, for the last few years, Middx have had a decent bowling attack and no batters. This year looks the reverse.

The Kookaburra is being used twice more, end of aug and sept.

fine using it on hard summer wickets but using it on wickets that have been covered all winter has made it a batters paradise.

Middx look really balanced now. Du Ploy can bowl spin to help out De Cairns and also we signed Brookes from Warks who can bowl quick.

I see John Simpson got a double ton too for Sussex, some crazy scores.

I went to day 2 in Northants (Saturday) and from the members stand, I counted around 100 people in the public stands, really thought more people would be there on a sunny Saturday.

Middx vs Yorks this friday should be a doozy! Brook and Root both should play at HQ, anyone else from here going?
Paul
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:24 - Apr 17 with 2161 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:57 - Apr 16 by thame_hoops

fine using it on hard summer wickets but using it on wickets that have been covered all winter has made it a batters paradise.

Middx look really balanced now. Du Ploy can bowl spin to help out De Cairns and also we signed Brookes from Warks who can bowl quick.

I went to day 2 in Northants (Saturday) and from the members stand, I counted around 100 people in the public stands, really thought more people would be there on a sunny Saturday.

Middx vs Yorks this friday should be a doozy! Brook and Root both should play at HQ, anyone else from here going?
Paul

Du Plooy is a great addition (not quite sure really how we got him), but I don't think he can do it all by himself. The others need to contribute too (largely lacking in previous seasons); but I suppose the bowlers will be pleased that the Dukes ball is coming back.

Would love to get down to Lord's this weekend but don't think it will happen

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:18 - Apr 23 with 1958 viewsR_from_afar

The best game of the tournament so far, in my humble opinion, an absolute belter: KKR v Rajasthan Royals (Jos Buttler's team):

https://www.iplt20.com/video/54423/m31-kkr-vs-rr--match-highlights?tagNames=2024

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:15 - Apr 23 with 1841 viewsperpignanR

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:57 - Apr 16 by thame_hoops

Paul

Middlesex in ‘Middlesex actually win a game of cricket shock’.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:54 - Apr 26 with 1705 viewsMrSheen

Anyone seen this overnight? Not bad figures from a 17-year-old in her 2nd game.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/indonesia-vs-mongolia-2024-1429005/indonesia
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 10:46 - Apr 26 with 1655 viewshoops_legend

County cricket is unfortunately oblivious to bringing in supporters as the game isn’t interesting

As someone mentioned earlier in thread the points system is all wrong and encourages draws as the win isn’t worth that much more

I saw every game the other week had ended in a draw. Sorry but 4 days of watching a game and a draw consistently is not a good pay off for a supporter

I would rather watch t20 nowadays or if it’s test cricket at least the way Ben stokes approaches it and I know this goes against the tradition of cricket but it’s a lot more fun!
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 13:57 - Apr 26 with 1581 viewsR_from_afar

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:54 - Apr 26 by MrSheen

Anyone seen this overnight? Not bad figures from a 17-year-old in her 2nd game.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/indonesia-vs-mongolia-2024-1429005/indonesia

Impressive

When I was playing colts cricket, our league games were 15 x 8 ball overs a side, even though we were in England, not Australia. I think 8 ball overs were stipulated because fewer overs meant less time wasted moving fielders and umpires around.

Anyway, our opening bowler, a left arm medium fast type, started an over but after his first ball, the umpire, who had been provided by the opposition, warned him that his run up was too long. Limited length run-ups were another thing designed to save time so the side batting second didn't need to use head torches. There was even a line marked behind each set of stumps indicating the maximum permitted run-up.

Our bowler duly shortened his run-up and then something amazing happened, and I swear this is true: He took six wickets in six balls, all clean bowled!

It was truly incredible and I bet their umpire felt partly to blame.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:30 - Apr 26 with 1499 viewsthame_hoops

Phil Salt and Johnny Bairstow going off tonight in the IPL. Fantastic game on now.
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:07 - May 13 with 1305 viewsR_from_afar

A cricketing rarity has cropped up: Someone, Jadeja for CSK against RR in the IPL, has been given out for obstructing the field.

CSK were at the end of a very tight run chase when CSK had to abort a second run. Jadeja was a long way out of his ground and haring back to his crease as a CSK fielder lined up a shy at the stumps. Jadeja seemed to spot this as he glanced behind him and changed direction slightly, to cover his stumps. The shy at the stumps then hit him.

It was reviewed and given out, which looked fair.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:08 - May 19 with 989 viewsSuperhoops2808

I appreciate I am biased, but considering the circumstances, Zak Crawleys knock of 238 off 267 balls today was nothing short of superb
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:27 - May 19 with 965 viewsMedwayR

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:08 - May 19 by Superhoops2808

I appreciate I am biased, but considering the circumstances, Zak Crawleys knock of 238 off 267 balls today was nothing short of superb

100%.

Frustrating that we'd got back into a decent position then started dropping like flies!

Poll: Who’s better?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:42 - May 19 with 954 viewsTonto

Surrey looking ominously good...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:02 - May 19 with 928 viewsLoyalitat

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:08 - May 19 by Superhoops2808

Totally agree. Nothing biased at all. It was an excellent innings considering the huge deficit Kent faced after a poor first innings score.

What's happened to Jack Leaning and Wes Agar who both played against Worcestershire at Canterbury? You still have some batting left in Finch, Evison and Denley, with the latter due a score, or at least displaying some rearguard action on the final day. The draw can still be achieved.

Good to see that DBD doesn't appear burdened by the captaincy, he must be over the 600 runs mark already, which must be the highest/not far off the highest amount of runs scored by a batsman to date in division one.
[Post edited 19 May 21:06]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 13:55 - May 20 with 829 viewsSuperhoops2808

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:02 - May 19 by Loyalitat

Totally agree. Nothing biased at all. It was an excellent innings considering the huge deficit Kent faced after a poor first innings score.

What's happened to Jack Leaning and Wes Agar who both played against Worcestershire at Canterbury? You still have some batting left in Finch, Evison and Denley, with the latter due a score, or at least displaying some rearguard action on the final day. The draw can still be achieved.

Good to see that DBD doesn't appear burdened by the captaincy, he must be over the 600 runs mark already, which must be the highest/not far off the highest amount of runs scored by a batsman to date in division one.
[Post edited 19 May 21:06]

So Jack Leaning has taken a knock on the hand which is a shame as he started to hit form and he is an excellent fielder and part time bowler so a huge miss.

Wes Agar is also struggling for fitness, and was considered unlikely to make 4 days. Of course, we are controlled by Australian cricket where he is concerned so has not been risked, but some of the Kent CC members are almost child like in their conspiracy theories and venom towards the management.

Deebs is having a superb season. Top 3 in the scoring and as a captain doing a great job too. I love the guy, so down to earth and Kent through and through. Denly oddly enough opened the season with a century against none other than Somerset. (I went down there on the day both he and Deebs scored a century to secure a draw). Need the same from JD today

Just very annoying that this huge score in the 2nd innings will count for nothing unless we secure a draw.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:09 - May 20 with 798 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 20:42 - May 19 by Tonto

Surrey looking ominously good...

As a Surrey fan and member, I was pretty concerned at 15-4 on the morning of day 1 after being put in a green top. But the depth of the team is ridiculous for the CC. Can see Jamie Smith getting an England call soon. Surrey should win the CC but struggle in the other formats with the T20 WC during the domestic T20 season. Big test going to Hampshire next week.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:17 - May 20 with 769 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:09 - May 20 by BlackAndGoldRanger

As a Surrey fan and member, I was pretty concerned at 15-4 on the morning of day 1 after being put in a green top. But the depth of the team is ridiculous for the CC. Can see Jamie Smith getting an England call soon. Surrey should win the CC but struggle in the other formats with the T20 WC during the domestic T20 season. Big test going to Hampshire next week.

With Surrey's finances as they are we're looking at Man City levels of domination in the CC for a good few years to come.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:27 - May 20 with 670 viewsSuperhoops2808

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:09 - May 20 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Unfortunately for Jamie Smith, (who btw I think is better than Foakes) is upcoming with the likes of Ollie Robinson at Durham (former Kent and gutted we let him go) and James Rew at Somerset. All 3 are excellent keepers and very useful with the bat.

Of course, Jamie has the edge because he plays for Slurrey
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 07:03 - May 21 with 575 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:27 - May 20 by Superhoops2808

Unfortunately for Jamie Smith, (who btw I think is better than Foakes) is upcoming with the likes of Ollie Robinson at Durham (former Kent and gutted we let him go) and James Rew at Somerset. All 3 are excellent keepers and very useful with the bat.

I actually don't think that the Surrey connection would mean Smith is more likely, as Stokes is very much in the selection process then Robinson is probably more likely.
Rew has been fantastic in recent seasons, think another year in CC and possibly a winter down under and he would be the #1. Just needs a touch more experience.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:53 - May 21 with 534 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:27 - May 20 by Superhoops2808

Inevitably England will pick the best batsman and not the best with the gloves.

And so it was and so it ever shall be

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:53 - May 25 with 331 viewsJamesB1979

Good to have you back Jof. We’ve missed you!
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:01 - May 25 with 323 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 21:53 - May 25 by JamesB1979

Good to have you back Jof. We’ve missed you!

Superb wasn’t he. I thought England were 15 runs short with the start that they got. Moeen always frustrates me with the bat but he bowled really well.

For the next game I’d rest archer and replace with wood, also rest Topley and use curren. I’d keep the batting how it is.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:06 - May 26 with 248 viewsMalintabuk

Yep good win for England but apart from Buttler and Salt the batting looked a little sketchy.
Not sure where though Pakistan are going especially in the WK department. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, the lad as a strike rate of over 140 in t20i, but he definitely don't look like a professional sportsman, especially when they have Rizwan.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:56 - May 26 with 214 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:06 - May 26 by Malintabuk

Yep good win for England but apart from Buttler and Salt the batting looked a little sketchy.
Not sure where though Pakistan are going especially in the WK department. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, the lad as a strike rate of over 140 in t20i, but he definitely don't look like a professional sportsman, especially when they have Rizwan.

I know what you mean, and I thought the same. There shouldn’t really be any excuses for a professional sportsman to look like that. Surely running between the wickets is as important as hitting boundaries, he doesn’t look very capable of that.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:06 - May 26 with 193 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:56 - May 26 by thame_hoops

I know what you mean, and I thought the same. There shouldn’t really be any excuses for a professional sportsman to look like that. Surely running between the wickets is as important as hitting boundaries, he doesn’t look very capable of that.

He didn't look too mobile behind the sticks, either, unsurprisingly.

Amazed if Gary Kirsten lets that fly. Just gives a shoddy perception of the side all round.

How can you play sport for your country if you are not fit?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:36 - May 26 with 168 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:06 - May 26 by GaryBannister86

He didn't look too mobile behind the sticks, either, unsurprisingly.

Amazed if Gary Kirsten lets that fly. Just gives a shoddy perception of the side all round.

How can you play sport for your country if you are not fit?

Just looked at the long range weather forecast and Tuesday nights game in Cardiff looks like it could be a washout. Not great preparation but what can you do?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024