Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Mum 07:53 - Apr 12 with 4528 viewsPlanetHonneywood

My mother passed away unexpectedly last Sunday. Realising my worst fear, that I'd not get back in time from wherever I was in the world to be with her at the end.

Over the last few days, I've realised how integral she was to my football life. As a small boy who had part of his leg amputated at 3, she encouraged me to go out and play football as a child. I always consider this was the cornerstone that my confidence to go out into the world was built on and also how I took on my disability. Equally, how I then expected other people with disabilities that I've worked for down the years to be treated as well: encouraged and self-confident.

But her erudite, no nonsense assessments on all things QPR down the years, are what I'll also miss. 'If you'd all support the lad, he'd do better!', followed by her gloating when the lad, Tony Sealey, finished top scorer the next season! Wherever I'd ring from on the Planet, she'd cut to the chase, and I'll sum it us thus: 'What kind of a bollix is Harry Redknapp?'

On 3 April 1982, she gathered all the mums, wives from around here to listen to the FA Cup semi final, and as we all trooped home, I just remember our house was buzzing when we got home.

Several years later, she'd been very ill, I flew back from Manila for a week, and stayed 18 months and became her carer. Her health yo-yo'd, and to go to Wembley in 2014, required a number of supports to be put in place to facilitate this. I was with my chums, but was exhausted by about 8pm and came home, but my mum had refused to go to bed until I was back and we had a drink to celebrate.

After my dad died, my regular trips back to London were to see mum, and I'd try get a few games in too. But now she's gone, I realise that I won't be visiting London as much and thus, my trips to QPR will sadly decrease even more. In fact, visits will be interspersed by years now as opposed to months.

It's life. We're born, we die, but what we do in-between determines if it was a good life or not. And despite all the challenges she faced, she gad a good life. The fact she'll be buried and reunited with my dad on their wedding anniversary says it all.

In the meantime, look after my team...they are worth fighting for too!

RIP Ma Planet.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

My Mum on 22:12 - Apr 12 with 750 viewsPunteR

So sorry for your loss mate.
Lovely tribute.
Take care of yourself buddy. X

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

My Mum on 22:20 - Apr 12 with 734 viewsswitchingcode

Very sad read and for you but I bet your dear old mum is proud of her wonderful son.god bless
My Mum on 22:23 - Apr 12 with 732 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mama Planet sounds wonderful. I say this in the present tense as she will always be with you; in your heart, in your mind, and in your soul. RIEP.
My Mum on 23:31 - Apr 12 with 692 viewsnumptydumpty

So sorry for your loss planet

The memories from years gone by, I hope you get to enjoy again in time

Grief is a very bizarre beast and we all can react differently and no right or wrong way to grieve.

Lost my mum three years ago and dad over two years past.

This is a total cliche but completely true, it does get easier eventually

But obviously never forgotten Ma Planet. RIP

All best to you Planet and all those around you during tough times.
[Post edited 12 Apr 23:32]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

My Mum on 00:08 - Apr 13 with 674 viewsbob566

Condolences PH. Sounded like a wonderful woman. Terrible thing to go through. My mum's on two weeks notice. Kidneys and blood gone. Strong woman who was around 12 stone now looking like yoda in a bed. My thoughts are with you.
My Mum on 01:11 - Apr 14 with 528 viewsSuperhoops2808

RIP Ma Planet.

That was lovely read especially 2014 after Wembley
My Mum on 03:16 - Apr 14 with 514 viewsCLAREMAN1995

My Mum on 00:08 - Apr 13 by bob566

Condolences PH. Sounded like a wonderful woman. Terrible thing to go through. My mum's on two weeks notice. Kidneys and blood gone. Strong woman who was around 12 stone now looking like yoda in a bed. My thoughts are with you.

You have a big heart putting your own horrible situation aside to offer condolences much respect to you and PH.
Stay strong and keep talking to your mother as she starts slipping away she will always hear you .
Best wishes for the next few weeks they are going to be rough
My Mum on 11:13 - Apr 15 with 397 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I wondered why people posted on here at times of berevement, and now I know: it's as much cathartic, as it is to record how the loved one played a roll in your QPR history.

Thank you one-and-all for the time you took to respond. She'd have been proud and chuffed to bits. She would also have been swift in her assessment of us being back in the plop again!

I will shamelessly use @Konk's little piece of Mexican wisdom, albeit I might refere to you as a Hoop on the day.

@Clareman - plan is, and these things do change, is to pop over to Co. Clare to place some soil from her grave on thst of her parents. Alas, age and infirmity denied her the chance for a final trip home, so we'll bring a bit of here to there for her. We may blow the froth off one.

Any Rfosi in Tipperary while I'm at it? Might as well swing by the father's old home too.

Thanks again, much appreciated, and I bloody well hope Preston next week is a bit more uplifting than the last few games.

We're not a bad bunch when all is said and done!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

My Mum on 11:17 - Apr 15 with 370 viewsMonkey_Roots

My Mum on 18:48 - Apr 12 by Spaceman_P

RIP to your Mum, Planet. I too am an ex-pat living in Spain, my mum had a heart attack last week, I am heading back there on Friday next week. Its a fear I too have. To lose a parent and be stuck here in Spain and be told by phone.

Sorry Spaceman, I hope things improve mate.
My Mum on 11:20 - Apr 15 with 359 viewsMonkey_Roots

and you bob, that's devastating news, I'm sorry for all of you that are going through it - we all will at some point I guess.

My thoughts go out to you all.
My Mum on 14:25 - Apr 15 with 283 viewsKonk

Really sorry to hear that, mate. I found it a very weird thing to be told that there's nothing more that can be done and to know that you only have a small time left with that person. I hope your Mum is not in too much discomfort and that you are able to spend some time with her. Take care.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

My Mum on 14:55 - Apr 15 with 234 viewsMonkey_Roots

My Mum on 14:25 - Apr 15 by Konk

Really sorry to hear that, mate. I found it a very weird thing to be told that there's nothing more that can be done and to know that you only have a small time left with that person. I hope your Mum is not in too much discomfort and that you are able to spend some time with her. Take care.

5 years ago, my father-in-law walked himself into the ambulance that had come out to see why he was so lethargic, not drinking, eating etc.

Later that day my wife phoned me and told me that the doctor told her it's hours... He had a large tumour in his abdomen that was blocking his kidneys. He opted to have this machine clean his blood etc, and it bought him 3 days. It was brutal.

I still don't know what's worse - to be told when it's likely to happen, or for it just to happen.
My Mum on 15:10 - Apr 15 with 215 viewsJules4367

Sincere condolences!
Words mean nothing at this time- but they are all we have and they are sent with feeling!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024