Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? 10:50 - Apr 15 with 1225 viewsMonkey_Roots

I've often wondered about Alexa listening in on everything you say - it must be always listening as it waits to hear the wake word. So what happens to all the other conversations you have, that Alexa is undoubtedly listening to as it's waiting for it's cue?

I had a plumber round on Friday, he used a specific power tool that I hadn't seen before, and I asked him about it - he told me what it was and I thought it was clever. I never searched online for it, didn't mention it again... and then I see an advert for it today whilst on this site.

WTF?
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 11:19 - Apr 15 with 1142 viewsslmrstid

I dont think its just Alexa, I think all our devices are listening to us (or watching our keystrokes) as I can have conversations on WhatsApp/Messenger etc then get targeted ads too.
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 17:33 - Apr 15 with 914 viewsPeterHucker

Every now and again, one of the tech giants gets found out for doing something dodgy around listening in to our conversations or selling off private information about us.

Some examples.....

Apple apologises for listening to Siri recordings.....
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/28/tech/apple-siri-apology/index.html

Google sued for data mining from schoolchildren.
https://sg.style.yahoo.com/google-being-sued-data-mining-143755100.html

Twitter fined for selling users private data to advertisers
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/may/25/twitter-user-data-advertising

Amazon record fine for breaking data protection law
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58024116

When these companies get caught, they apologise and say all the right things. Then everyone seems to forget that it ever happened and go back to staring at their phones again.

We all know people who have stories like yours about their phone or tablet showing them an advert for something they've discussed aloud but never typed in.
So of course these devices are listening.

Amazon were literally giving away Alexas for a while. Why the hell would they do that unless they had some pretty lucrative ways of profiting from them? They're not a charity.

These companies have demonstrated over and over again that they will skirt round legal issues or just downright break the law in order to collect as much data about everyone as they possibly can. Because they can make unimaginably enormous amounts of money by sharing that information with advertisers / governments / whoever's interested & has the means to buy it.

These tech giants didn't get to be tech giants by being nice cosy and helpfful.
If you were running the company, why on earth would you NOT be storing all the data being collected from all the various devices we carry round with us, put in our houses and wear on our wrists.
The only reason NOT to do it is because it's ethically wrong, but these companies have shown us repeatedly that they don't care about that.

So yes, OF COURSE your Alexa is listening to you all the time, so is your phone. Your movements are being tracked by Google Maps / Strava / sat nav and are being uploaded to a mega-database somewhere. That video camera on your doorbell is sharing what it can see all the time and that little camera facing you on your phone is recording you when you're wȧnking.
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 17:37 - Apr 15 with 901 viewsBluce_Ree

It's about sales resistance. Alexa can listen in but I'm not buying shit. She can continue being a glorified kitchen timer and my way of turning off plugs. Not arsed.

If you own a smartphone, you're basically monitored the whole time anyway.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 18:02 - Apr 15 with 860 viewsLowerloftLad

If I am chatting away to my friends in the pub for example "ohh my daughter wants me to buy her a dog" I will then scroll through my Facebook on my phone i can guarantee that i will inindated with adverts for all sorts of products that I would need to own a dog.

It happens so often that it can't possibly be a coincidence.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 18:47 - Apr 15 with 794 viewsToast_R

Ask Alexa to translate "Pick My Most Beautiful Side" In to Dutch
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 19:35 - Apr 15 with 729 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Don't own an Alexa, not on Facebook, Instagram or any other social media. Never sent a Tweet.

Do have Spotify and a smart phone (android) yet I still get adverts for things that I'm sure I only discussed with the missus.
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 19:44 - Apr 15 with 717 viewsBluce_Ree

Every person, every business, every c**t wants your money. It's just how the world is and, look, they'll figure out what you like and want because of algorithms and unless you fully move away from having anything with Google or Apple software on it, you will be tracked.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 20:02 - Apr 15 with 665 viewsBoston

Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 19:35 - Apr 15 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Don't own an Alexa, not on Facebook, Instagram or any other social media. Never sent a Tweet.

Do have Spotify and a smart phone (android) yet I still get adverts for things that I'm sure I only discussed with the missus.

er, go on...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 20:58 - Apr 15 with 619 viewsSpaceman_P

My xmas was ruined cos of this... my online searches for my wife''s gifts came as recommended suggestions on her devices, so ALTHOUGH unaware she had a clue or a feeling she would get what I got her.

I too feel all devices are keeping tabs on us.

Unfortunately for QPR even Alexa can't predict if we'll stay up this year.... I think she knows about as much as we do.
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 21:26 - Apr 15 with 584 viewsJimmyR

If you aren’t paying for the product - you are product.
Non-QPR – Can we type (not talk) about Alexa? on 22:11 - Apr 15 with 492 viewsLblock

I remember an while ago a group of people proved this.

They bought a brand new smart phone, set it up as a brand new account, didn’t use it for anything at all by way of searches, text etc
It was left on a coffee table and the group randomly chatted and ensured they spoke about some obscure car - a Volvo model of some sort I think. They only spoke of the car when round that table and didn’t search it or text about it. The only devices in the room were their phones.

True enough all their accounts got adverts linked to the Volvo car including the brand new phone thus proving the always on always listening theory

For years a mate of mine has insisted “they” can track you and listen in on you even if your phone was off. He said the military had been doing it for years. I was sceptical thinking it was a bit tin foil hat.
Along came COVID and the times of things being installed on your phone that you didn’t sanction and my view certainly changed.

Is what it is but it does concern me that a few things previously dismissed as conspiracy theories are now coming ever more true.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024