Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum 09:05 - May 6 with 5097 viewsStevenageRanger

http://www.borochat.co.uk/thread/36191
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 14:02 - May 6 with 1434 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 12:17 - May 6 by NorthantsHoop

Regardless of what Ainsworth may have or may not have said, he was awful at QPR and the debacle witnessed in his 8 months in charge was symptomatic of his approach if you can call it that to managing a professional football club. The image, the stupid gimmicks wore very thin with me and more importantly what did those players who are top class athletes think looking at their manager on the touchline, think we know the answer not much as we were seen as a joke. We now have a manager who looks and acts the part of a top level professional.

Pretty intense yet accurate post there NorthantsHoop and will keep this thread going a few more pages I suspect.Strongly agree on his managerial approch and the fact the players simply did not respond says everything about his reign.
However it raises a massive question I have not ever asked on LFW.
If GA was succesful for 10 years at WW with top class athletes using all his QPR gimmicks (not the haka guy obviously ) and never changed his dress code or system why did the QPR players completly shut him out .
Was it simply being out of his depth or a deeper issue which Marti seems to have turned around thank Christ .
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 14:25 - May 6 with 1377 viewsLandshark

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 14:02 - May 6 by CLAREMAN1995

Pretty intense yet accurate post there NorthantsHoop and will keep this thread going a few more pages I suspect.Strongly agree on his managerial approch and the fact the players simply did not respond says everything about his reign.
If GA was succesful for 10 years at WW with top class athletes using all his QPR gimmicks (not the haka guy obviously ) and never changed his dress code or system why did the QPR players completly shut him out .
Was it simply being out of his depth or a deeper issue which Marti seems to have turned around thank Christ .

He used the Haka guy at Wycombe.

I just feel like it came down to the mentality of the players. League Two level players could buy into a manager doing these gimmicks and saying some of the stuff he says. Championship players are a different breed, they probably think they are above that kind of stuff and just need a professional manager like Marti to guide them.
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 14:32 - May 6 with 1359 views1JD

Wycombe are a totally different club to QPR. Both clubs are not comparable on any level. Most fans at Wycombe are just happy to be surviving in league 1, since they spent the majority of their history in the conference or lower. They have little expectations or standards - they have what I often describe as small club syndrome, which holds them back.

As for the players themselves - they are very much the underdog. Players are typically recruited from non-league and lower, or aging pros on their last legs, happy to be told they are indeed the underdog (=second best), because it is largely true. They have little coaching and tactical expectations. And they understand the only way to compete with the so-called big teams - due to their supposed inferiority - is through work rate, and work rate alone.

I am far from saying this is the only way to manage a club like Wycombe, but does this context help to understand why GA worked at Wycombe, and not QPR?
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 15:17 - May 6 with 1258 viewsBoston

Different quality of football, a lot more kick and run as you go lower down the leagues.

Anyone else expect this to be a clip from the super soaraway Sun when reading the OP heading?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 16:12 - May 6 with 1145 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 14:32 - May 6 by 1JD

Wycombe are a totally different club to QPR. Both clubs are not comparable on any level. Most fans at Wycombe are just happy to be surviving in league 1, since they spent the majority of their history in the conference or lower. They have little expectations or standards - they have what I often describe as small club syndrome, which holds them back.

As for the players themselves - they are very much the underdog. Players are typically recruited from non-league and lower, or aging pros on their last legs, happy to be told they are indeed the underdog (=second best), because it is largely true. They have little coaching and tactical expectations. And they understand the only way to compete with the so-called big teams - due to their supposed inferiority - is through work rate, and work rate alone.

I am far from saying this is the only way to manage a club like Wycombe, but does this context help to understand why GA worked at Wycombe, and not QPR?

Wycombe are now an established top 10 Division One club, used to challenging for the play offs and whatever the lower league cup is called nowadays and going to Wembley: certainly not underdogs.
Now that they have a new billionaire owner I would expect them to be at QPR’s level within a few years.
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 17:37 - May 6 with 985 viewsBrianWilson

Which signings were actually his? even Paul Smyth had history with us

Cook - already on our list
Begovic - Really doubt he sorted that one
Fox
Lakerche
Colback

Like most I thought he would pick up a few lower league players but there was nothing. Would imagine his hands were tied with transfers tbf. He was offered players and had to decide if they work for him or not.
[Post edited 6 May 17:39]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 18:32 - May 6 with 910 viewsMonkey_Roots

Our club has been fücked for quite a while, it seems to be getting itself unfúcked as we speak.

He was a poor manager for us, but I don’t feel he’s said anything untrue, just spinning it to make himself less culpable.
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 18:33 - May 6 with 910 views1JD

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 16:12 - May 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Wycombe are now an established top 10 Division One club, used to challenging for the play offs and whatever the lower league cup is called nowadays and going to Wembley: certainly not underdogs.
Now that they have a new billionaire owner I would expect them to be at QPR’s level within a few years.

I agree but it wasn’t relevant to the question that was asked. The question was why over 10 years at Wycombe was GA successful, but not at QPR?

It was a backwards looking question, not current day or future. But in terms of looking forward, yes I agree, the future looks very bright for the Chairboys and they will no doubt be a totally different club.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 19:04 - May 6 with 848 viewsdmm

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 17:37 - May 6 by BrianWilson

Fox
Lakerche
Colback

Like most I thought he would pick up a few lower league players but there was nothing. Would imagine his hands were tied with transfers tbf. He was offered players and had to decide if they work for him or not.

Reggie Cannon
Steve Cook
Jack Colback
Morgan Fox
Asmir Begovic
Ziyad Larkeche
Paul Smyth
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 19:42 - May 6 with 786 viewsdaveB

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 10:23 - May 6 by bosh67

I am sure he didn't actually say that and he didn't have the benefit of the new CEO either, who has turned out to be a revelation, like Marti. But he obviously didn't have the buy in of the players, even though he brought in some good ones. That he should take credit for but we also saw that he was very limited in how to adapt to teams at this level and Marti has come in and shown that he is different gravy. Gareth will always be a hero here and somehow he kept us up 22-23 but something wasn't right in the dressing room or on the training pitch and that seems to have been highlighted by his now very obvious dislike of Willock for some reason.

Nourry has done well but lets not get carried away with him just yet. He hired a manager we were after a year ago and signed Hayden who we had also tried to sign a year earlier and Anderson who was clearly a Marti signing. He may well turn out to be very good for us but it's very very early days yet.
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 20:10 - May 6 with 739 viewsHoopsie

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 17:37 - May 6 by BrianWilson

Fox
Lakerche
Colback

The “signings” that were Ainsworth didn’t actually signed for us, but were linked to us through Ainsworth network

Have we forgotten the poetic thread of one elusive Lewis Wing which trodded on pages after pages?

And Regan Poole who disappeared in Portsmouth (this one might be click bait but was rumoured early days in preseason)

And Dominic Gape who trialed at the club and was injury prone

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 20:38 - May 6 with 680 viewsShev

Wycombe fan here. I very much doubt GA bad mouthed QPR. I have listened to him on a few podcasts since he was sacked, and he has always been positive about QPR, saying he has no regrets as he loves the club and could not turn the opportunity down. He has consistently acknowledged he simply did not get the results and needs to work on hitting the ground quicker at his next club.

He also said he wants nothing but success for QPR and has no hard feelings. I doubt he would then randomly trash the club to an unknown fan.

He has also said to one of our fans that he turned down a few L1 jobs last year (I am assuming Burton, Port Vale, Cambridge, Shrewsbury). There may be a bit of "burnishing" in there (I doubt he was outright offered all four jobs) but I do think there will be a lower league market for him. It just may not be this summer as he wants, as an abnormally low number of clubs sacked their managers.
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 20:39 - May 6 with 674 viewsLogman

Essentially, he probably said the club was f*cked because he realised that he was talking to some chancer and so he got the response he deserved.

Reminds me of the time I saw Todd Carty in Wimbledon once and I said to him 'Hey, you're the bloke from Grange Hill' and he said to me 'Grange Hill, what's that ? I don't know that one. Is it any good ?'
[Post edited 6 May 20:42]
Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 21:31 - May 6 with 596 viewsBrianWilson

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 19:04 - May 6 by dmm

Reggie Cannon
Steve Cook
Jack Colback
Morgan Fox
Asmir Begovic
Ziyad Larkeche
Paul Smyth

He was most likely offered them by the club and said "Yes". Not sure how much that makes them "his" signings. None of them were players he identified....presumably....could be wrong of course but haven't seen anything to say they were his.

He might have spotted Lakerche playing in Lge one but then he didn't pick him anyway to play.

Reggie Cannon? really unlikely

Fox...maybe

Colback....maybe

He was a massive fanboy of Begovic like he had won the lottery.
[Post edited 6 May 21:43]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Ainsworth 'Titbit' via the Stevenage Forum on 21:45 - May 6 with 568 viewsSuperhoops2808

Think we would do well to remember that his two predecessors both said similar in terms of the core of the club. In fact NC was warned BEFORE he joined
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024