Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ramadan 18:56 - May 6 with 2067 viewsThird_Division_South

Seeing how well Chair has played in the last two games compared to the few weeks before, maybe the effect of fasting for Ramadan has had a greater impact on his performance than we appreciated?
Ramadan on 20:39 - May 6 with 1905 viewsHoopsie

I am not a Muslim but I fast everyday for 16 hours plus

Ramadan fasting is from dawn to dusk 12-17 hours for a month

It is not as dramatic as people might think

I am no athlete but I can function normally. But I don’t know if fasting would affect peak performance in sports.

But I definitely don’t think athletes go around the fasting month “suffering”. They are conditioned since young.

I fast for health reasons not religious. If anything, I would even suggest fasting could enhance your physical faculties aside from mental and spiritual

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Ramadan on 01:12 - May 7 with 1659 viewsnumptydumpty

Apparently Rishi Sunak does not eat anything at all within the 24 hour period defined as Monday every single week of every single month of every single year.

The jury is currently out as to whether it has affected his performance in his particular job role !!!

Is this an example to prove the point !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ramadan on 01:21 - May 7 with 1651 viewsBoston

I used to fast.

Then I got old.

Now I slow.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ramadan on 07:48 - May 7 with 1493 viewsenfieldargh

Ramadan on 20:39 - May 6 by Hoopsie

I am no athlete but I can function normally. But I don’t know if fasting would affect peak performance in sports.

But I definitely don’t think athletes go around the fasting month “suffering”. They are conditioned since young.

I fast for health reasons not religious. If anything, I would even suggest fasting could enhance your physical faculties aside from mental and spiritual

Intimating fasting.

I did that for several years lost a fair bit of weight and all the aches and pains my 60 plus year old body almost disappeared.

I was advised by a doctor I saw at an urgent care centre I visited after getting a sharp pain in my side to change the way I eat.

He told me if the population all changed their diet and only ate in an eight hour period of the day the NHS would not need to be as huge and over used as it is.

Cut out carbs, excessive alcohol, fags and drugs bit of exercise and off you go. Not the cure of all cures but it should help your body function better. Obviously seek medical advice before doing it.

Sadly it did stop me getting cancer in my leg but hopefully I’m on the mend.
I also said I was a Qpr fan, he told me i’m fekked

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Ramadan on 08:31 - May 7 with 1392 viewseastside_r

Ramadan on 20:39 - May 6 by Hoopsie

Out or interest, does your fasting include not drinking?

I think I could cope with not eating but not even drinking water (which is what Moslems do in Ramadan) is what I could not manage.

I am constantly told by doctors that rehydration is vital to good health. So that is the only thing I would doubt regarding elite athletes, however conditioned they are to this regime.
Ramadan on 09:46 - May 7 with 1284 viewsBklynRanger

Ramadan on 07:48 - May 7 by enfieldargh

Intimating fasting.

I did that for several years lost a fair bit of weight and all the aches and pains my 60 plus year old body almost disappeared.

I was advised by a doctor I saw at an urgent care centre I visited after getting a sharp pain in my side to change the way I eat.

He told me if the population all changed their diet and only ate in an eight hour period of the day the NHS would not need to be as huge and over used as it is.

Cut out carbs, excessive alcohol, fags and drugs bit of exercise and off you go. Not the cure of all cures but it should help your body function better. Obviously seek medical advice before doing it.

Sadly it did stop me getting cancer in my leg but hopefully I’m on the mend.
I also said I was a Qpr fan, he told me i’m fekked

Intermittent fasting - I've been doing it myself - 5 days a week anyway, nice bit of bacon and eggs on the weekend - you have to have something to live for :)

Mine was also advised by a doctor during a cardiology appointment - said he didn't like the look of my belly or my neck, or my blood work! So I've tried to reform quite a bit.
(It wasn't Dr Boon Lim at Hammersmith Hospital was it, Enfield? That was who gave me the talk, says he does it himself and even talks about it in his book, which I only read part of I must admit...).

The 16-8 stuff is a work in progress I'd say, for me anyway. The trick is to not go mad between 12pm and 8pm which can be a challenge on certain days. There's been loads written and broadcast about it of course.

Saying all that I don't think I can agree with Hoopsie's point tbh. There's a difference between not eating after 8 and then overnight compared to squeezing in the eating with sleep, and then fasting through daylight. Possibly not quite as big as people may think I suppose.
Ramadan (n/t) on 09:54 - May 7 with 1260 viewsmart_Goblin

Ramadan on 08:31 - May 7 by eastside_r

Out or interest, does your fasting include not drinking?

I think I could cope with not eating but not even drinking water (which is what Moslems do in Ramadan) is what I could not manage.

I am constantly told by doctors that rehydration is vital to good health. So that is the only thing I would doubt regarding elite athletes, however conditioned they are to this regime.

[Post edited 7 May 10:36]
Ramadan on 10:02 - May 7 with 1228 viewssilky

Faster here also.

I do 16/8 everyday and once a month ill do a 72hr water only fast. Best thing I've ever done for my body, mentally, physically and emotionally.

Mad to think that most of the worlds diseases could be cured by eating less!

We're told 3 meals a day! Well we'd be lucky to get 1 kill a day back in our caveman days.

We as humans were evolved to eat a feast/famine cycle diet. You hunt and may get lucky right away and eat for a few days then hunt again and not find anything for a few days. Our bodies are built for survival and when fasted and empty of food your body actually starts repairing cells to almost the point of not aging.

Autophagy (spelling maybe off there) is an absolutely fascinating subject. Ketosis is needed for the brain almost more than glucose but we gorge on glucose too much in our diets for Ketosis to take any effect.

I could go on for days about this subject. Chair would of actually been more proactive fasting if he did it in a constant state as opposed to just Ramadan.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Login to get fewer ads

Ramadan on 10:36 - May 7 with 1171 viewsdannyblue

Another fasting mostly keto freak here. Only eat 11:30-7, but sometimes extend it to be social and sometimes constrict it by a few hours because I'm just not hungry yet. Although my appetite is huge once it gets going. Results: Bit more energy, bit less weight, a lot less likely to get diabetes, perhaps a little more likely to have heart problems with all the saturated fat.

How can you tell someone is a vegan / doesn't have a tv / fasts / is keto? Don't worry, they'll fckn tell you.
[Post edited 7 May 10:37]
Ramadan on 10:43 - May 7 with 1136 viewsSydneyRs

Certainly the timing fits in terms of his upturn in form. Given the peak levels of fitness and conditioning needed to play at the level Chair does, I don't see how it could fail to affect him. And they aren't even meant to drink water during the fasting hours.

Even eating out of your normal routine has some effect so I'm pretty sure a professional athlete would suffer some impact to their form.
[Post edited 7 May 10:46]
Ramadan on 10:56 - May 7 with 1071 viewshubble

Hopefully Ilias has read this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22769241/

"The available evidence indicates that high-level athletes can maintain performance during Ramadan if physical training, food and fluid intake, and sleep are appropriate and well controlled."

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ramadan on 11:09 - May 7 with 1047 viewsHoopsie

Yes, it does include drinking water, black coffee or black / green tea. I usually just do water

I did 36 hours fasting also and during that period I also did 30 minutes hiit training daily. But I stopped this after 3 months, I don’t think it suited me

So it’s 16-8 daily for me now

I might be wrong but middle eastern leagues do work around Ramadan for example Saudi league play their matches as late as 10 pm.

I might be too presumptuous to think that fasting does not affect professional athlete as much but I am beginning to think otherwise. Dehydration / heat stroke is probably the biggest danger as footballers run as much as 8-10 km in a single game.

So back to the OP point, I stand corrected!

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Ramadan on 11:22 - May 7 with 999 viewstkqpr

Ive done a few 3 day water fasts, 6 day also, and last September went on a retreat in North Devon to do a 7 day water fast.

The level of clarity and well being you feel is staggering and apart from the first day or so you rarely feel hungry. I was walking up steep hills, yoga, thi chi, swimming, saunas and cold water dipping in Woolacombe Bay. A tremendous reset for anyone. We had 28 stone folk there and 7.5 stone people there. I wasn't overweight as such just 13st, but lost a full stone, although this was a side effect. The knowledge and the clarity you get is awesome.

I find its difficult to do whilst working and the daily family/work stress levels although not impossible. But this place and the people there are awesome.
FYI
https://www.suradetox.co.uk/
Ramadan on 12:22 - May 7 with 858 viewsloftboy

How would that work for someone like me, 57 and do a physical job, I get shaky and dizzy if I don’t eat halfway through my shift?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Ramadan on 12:36 - May 7 with 825 viewsPhilmyRs

My instincts tell me it has to impact on your performance. A physically demanding job, were you're burning so much energy. The need to replenish your fluid levels and stuff, I just can't see how it wouldn't impact on your performance. So many players rehydrate at halftime - various products they take - which is not an option for Chair during Ramadan. In short, I'm not surprised by the upturn in performance post Ramadan.
Ramadan on 16:58 - May 7 with 623 viewswestlondonisRs1882

Does anyone know when Ramadan is next year?
Ramadan on 17:24 - May 7 with 596 viewsBucksRanger

Ramadan on 16:58 - May 7 by westlondonisRs1882

Does anyone know when Ramadan is next year?

28th Feb - 30th March 2025.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024