Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon 16:52 - May 10 with 11124 viewsNorthernr

Clive Whittingham is joined by the Telegraph's senior sports writer Thom Gibbs and former Q Magazine editor Ted Kessler to run the rule over QPR's successful survival bid, outline priorities for the summer, guess where we go from here under Marti Cifuentes, and laugh at Andre Dozzell.

An hour of listening to send you into the weekend, available now to all three Patreon sub tiers...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-season-104003681
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 23:22 - May 12 with 2381 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 17:30 - May 10 by GaryBannister86

Yeah Clive you just keep churning out top-class writing on your own time that we can all just devour without paying a single penny. And while you're at it, can you pay all the running cost of the message board too?
[Post edited 10 May 17:31]

Just out of interest, what are the 'running costs' of LFW? Are there any more or less than running a blog, say?

I think a hobby is a hobby, basically, and we're also all writers on LFW to varying degrees (I know Clive is a journalist, but I was interested to know which other posters here are working writers/editors like myself), but I also think it's nice if one can monetise what one enjoys doing, and Clive's writing certainly cuts the mustard.
[Post edited 13 May 13:23]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 03:57 - May 13 with 2308 viewsMatch82

Jeff, clearly a masterpiece of salesmanship here to remind those of us who aren't already donating that we should do so and it's worth every penny. May I suggest next time a less obvious pseudonym?

Excited to give this a listen, thanks to everyone who contributes in some way to what it takes to keep this site up and running.
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 11:11 - May 13 with 2080 viewszizoustainrod

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 12:40 - May 11 by Jeff

As the guy that runs the Patreon on behalf of Clive, I’d like to thank jeffranger (no relation) for the extra traffic and revenue you’ve sent our way. If I slip you a tenner can you do the same next month?

Hi Jeff. Can I contact you privately somehow regarding my Loft for Words Patreon account (or lack there of). I'm a bit confused.
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 11:24 - May 13 with 2029 viewszizoustainrod

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 11:11 - May 13 by zizoustainrod

Hi Jeff. Can I contact you privately somehow regarding my Loft for Words Patreon account (or lack there of). I'm a bit confused.

Probably easiest to email this address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I will reply with my query.
[Post edited 13 May 11:36]
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 11:31 - May 13 with 2004 viewsJeff

Will email you directly now - feel free to edit / delete your email address so you don't get botted...

Can we not knock it?

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 12:49 - May 13 with 1874 viewshamptonhillhoop

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 18:03 - May 10 by Northernr

Well you can fck off as well then

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 13:55 - May 13 with 1724 viewsw7r

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 17:08 - May 10 by jeffranger

F in cheek asking for money to join, bollax to that

Classy.
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 14:24 - May 13 with 1647 viewsnick_hammersmith

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 01:30 - May 11 by QuillPenRiot

I also echo this. So good to hear this, a balm in the newly christened championship offseason, although the league 1 offseason would have been entertaining too. The question of Nourry’s backing was intriguing, gut churning again…also, what a parallel universe, what if we were relegated, what if Gareth Ainsworth took us down and we had to play Wrexham with a blank slate…maybe we would have been the bad boys in Netflix. I almost can’t believe we survived still, surreal. I remember the first game Jimmy was RB this year and we saw glimpses of Jiminho. I mean, shouldn’t that be the alternate reality?

The Wrexham doc only mentions the other teams in passing, apart from the head to head with Notts that season.
It's very strange isn't it, the actual football takes a backseat, almost like L2 is dogshit?
Login to get fewer ads

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 14:50 - May 13 with 1598 viewsPhildo

Hi Jeff

Can you meet me in my office to run through your application to be head of marketing?
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 17:53 - May 13 with 1470 viewsed_83

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 23:22 - May 12 by stainrods_elbow

Just out of interest, what are the 'running costs' of LFW? Are there any more or less than running a blog, say?

I think a hobby is a hobby, basically, and we're also all writers on LFW to varying degrees (I know Clive is a journalist, but I was interested to know which other posters here are working writers/editors like myself), but I also think it's nice if one can monetise what one enjoys doing, and Clive's writing certainly cuts the mustard.
[Post edited 13 May 13:23]

Off the top of my head I can think of paying for the server and associated website maintenance, licensing for match photos, and other content-related costs (I don't know if the guy who records and edits the audio for the podcasts does it for free, for example, or to what extent Clive needs to get things legally reviewed).

Then there are the costs of getting to games (largely for our benefit in recent seasons, it seems, rather than because Clive has been particularly enjoying the experience) and the costs of his time in writing, editing and managing everything - not least keeping us in line when the forum gets a bit spicy - which I suspect is likely to have impacted his other paid employment.

I don't think the line between hobby and job is as clear-cut as you suggest: plenty of people start doing things for the love of it, but as they become more successful things get more complicated and cumbersome. And plenty of people earn a pittance doing a job they love, when they could earn more elsewhere. The line between monetisation and passion has always been, in my experience, a pretty fluid one.

Either way, it was very clear when Clive set up the Patreon that he couldn't keep running LFW for free. I think the response since then shows how much value we place in what he does - if Clive is making a small cut on top of his costs for running LFW, I doubt any of us would begrudge him that in the slightest.
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 19:15 - May 13 with 1401 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 17:53 - May 13 by ed_83

Off the top of my head I can think of paying for the server and associated website maintenance, licensing for match photos, and other content-related costs (I don't know if the guy who records and edits the audio for the podcasts does it for free, for example, or to what extent Clive needs to get things legally reviewed).

Then there are the costs of getting to games (largely for our benefit in recent seasons, it seems, rather than because Clive has been particularly enjoying the experience) and the costs of his time in writing, editing and managing everything - not least keeping us in line when the forum gets a bit spicy - which I suspect is likely to have impacted his other paid employment.

I don't think the line between hobby and job is as clear-cut as you suggest: plenty of people start doing things for the love of it, but as they become more successful things get more complicated and cumbersome. And plenty of people earn a pittance doing a job they love, when they could earn more elsewhere. The line between monetisation and passion has always been, in my experience, a pretty fluid one.

Either way, it was very clear when Clive set up the Patreon that he couldn't keep running LFW for free. I think the response since then shows how much value we place in what he does - if Clive is making a small cut on top of his costs for running LFW, I doubt any of us would begrudge him that in the slightest.

Interesting to talk about it. I think my own point was that if one can make (more) fluid the relation between a hobby and monetising it, that's great, but it tends to depend on the niche one finds oneself in. For example, in my own fields of poetry and playwriting, it's incredibly difficult to make money, irrespective of the quality of what one does, whereas an old friend of mine has done very well in teaching Islamic art and running study trips etc., not just because he's talented and hard-working (which he is) but because there are so few people doing what he does.

In this context, it's also interesting to think about the role that contributing writers (i.e posters) play in adding value/prestige/attractiveness to a messageboard, many of whom also (may) go to games. I see Clive (obviously) as the lead writer on a forum like this, but I think everyone who takes the time and trouble to write on it out of their own passion and on their own time (as pure 'amateurs' of you will) also adds plenty of value too. I learn a lot as a writer from many people here, as well as being often edified and entertained, so I'm grateful to everyone (even those who don't like/block me) for what they do.
[Post edited 13 May 19:16]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 10:16 - May 15 with 1082 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just finished it this morning. Great listen. Fair, and funny.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 07:15 - May 17 with 723 viewscpgerber

I noticed that the teams we beat in the last 3 games, PNE, Leeds and Cov, finished 22, 23 and 24 in the form guide for last 6 games of the season. Because of us, I like to think

Does anyone have stats for how many set-piece goals we scored/conceded in the last 10 games or so? For me that has been one of the most outstanding transformations of this team.
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 10:29 - May 17 with 559 viewsW7Ranger

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 09:18 - May 12 by JamieNaz

Your feelings on some other podcasts echo mine.

Enjoyed this, and very happy to continue to pay for this content.

You're a pretty good presenter, Clive. Actually handing over to people in a way that allows them to answer a question and give them room to speak.

Appreciate that a lot of the QPR podcasts are all free and run by volunteers, but appreciate that you and those involved have actually heard a podcast before so have an idea that sound quality, talking clearly and having a structure is reasonably important...

Anyway, enjoyed Jeff's viral marketing. Lovely stuff.

Just a message board indeed

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 10:37 - May 17 with 531 viewsW7Ranger

End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 19:23 - May 12 by dm97

You’re obviously a troll pal, if you’ve been here for any length of time you’d have known Clive runs a patron because - plot twist - nothing in life is free and monetising content is literally the bedrock of the modern internet (you know, the thing that allows you to type hateful messages from the safety of your four walls like a coward).

No ones bothered about your f’in opinion mate, it’s that you immediately responded to the OP with hate mail to the guy who keeps this whole thing going and has created a community off the back of it. He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

And that's the real quiz!
End of Season Review - Live Now On The Patreon on 21:25 - May 17 with 362 viewsTacticalR

If I may make an attempt to answer the question of Colback's high win percentage...

I think he is quite skilful and has a bit of nous. I noticed this early on in the season when we had a corner, and the ball came out to him, and he just pinged it out to the wing first time without having to take the ball down first. It was simple, but a lot of players can't do this. He also scored a couple of goals just by keeping his head over the ball and striking the ball cleanly. When Dozzell scored that goal against Middlesbrough it was Colback who instantaneously laid off the ball to Dozzell to set him up for the shot.

I was a bit more worried by all his yellow cards earlier in the season. Now I suspect he needs one every game to get himself going.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024