Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would you consider success to be this off-season? 00:13 - May 13 with 2739 viewsDylanP

For me it is very simple; strikers

If we sign two strikers, proper strikers who can hit the ball on target and score goals, and offload Dykes, that will be a very successful off-season.

I realize there are other gaps that will need to be filled and other business that will need to get done, but it is strikers that is holding us back.

Midfield is already stocked. We have too many 'good enough' midfielders; Chair, Willock, Fields, Andersen, Colback, Dixon-Bonner, are all good and I'm probably forgetting a couple. Smyth and Larkeshe provide speed on the outside.

Defense has been solid. Cook, Clarke-Salter, Dunne, Paal, Fox, Cannon. It isn't perfect, but if it was perfect but we are QPR, so ....

As for strikers, they have all been a huge disappointment. If I could I would ditch Dykes and Frey, try and further develop Armstrong (he needs to get his head up and let the game slow down for him) and bring in at least two real strikers.

Are their different opinions, or is that so obvious, that it is already the consensus?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 00:54 - May 13 with 2648 viewsstainrods_elbow

That seems about right to me. I know there's some clamour for Begovic to be replaced even though he kept us in a number of games last season, but I wouldn't be unhappy with him spending another year with us.

A lot depends on whether one (or god forbid more) of Willock, Chair and JCS are sold, in which case most of the money will need to be astutely reinvested, or we'll be weakening the squad.

I think we'll also have to use the loan market intelligently.

Hopefully, the new CEO can also address the cultural aversion to signing decent strikers for QPR going back years and our inability to develop any, but it looks like we're moving on from our culture of failure with other staff being moved on, finally.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 00:57 - May 13 with 2680 viewsJules4367

Keeping Marti!
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 13:54 - May 13 with 2433 viewswatihus

Offloading players who haven’t met expectations, like Dykes, and nurturing promising talent, like Armstrong, are also strategic moves that could pay off.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 14:09 - May 13 with 2380 viewskingsburyR

Forwards needs the biggest reshuffle for me.

I'm one of the few who would ditch Armstrong (I hope I'm proven wrong) as he doesn't seem to have the intelligence to stay onside. The last game of the season proved that. In his cameo appearance he was looking across the whole line and was still two yards off when he got the ball.

Frey I'd like to see with a full pre-season in him.

Dykes I'd cash in on if that manifests itself. If not he stays for another season.

Absolutely no idea why Kelman got a new contract.

I've also got my fingers crossed that Marti has some more gems in Scandinavia that we can tap into.

Midfield is pretty solid regardless of whether Willicok resigns or not.

Defence could do with a top up especially if JCS leaves. One more quality CB needed and cover at full back.

And finally Begovic has to go for me. Flapped at one cross too many and father time is against him. A young hungry GK needed but maybe not from within.

If Marti is still with us by the end of next season then we will have done very well.
[Post edited 13 May 14:23]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 14:20 - May 13 with 2327 viewsHayesender

New long term contract for Marti

Poll: Shamima Beghum

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 15:03 - May 13 with 2237 viewscpgerber

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 14:20 - May 13 by Hayesender

New long term contract for Marti

Or a crazy release clause.

If Marti can reproduce this past season's results, then we probably have to accept we'll lose him, unless our promotion prospects look good and he wants to take on that challenge with us.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 17:18 - May 13 with 2046 viewsgazza1

MC is going nowhere…….

Success will be selling Dykes and replacing him with a decentish striker - this is top priority.

We also need to get a striker with potential to improve, a risky signing basically.

Replace the GK with a little bit of ability and experience to replace our current GK. A priority too, like a striker.

Also we need to keep most of our current 1st team squad.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 04:36 - May 14 with 1807 viewsFredManRave

A threesome, with identical twins.

Females, just to clarify.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 10:05 - May 14 with 1601 viewsderbyhoop

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 04:36 - May 14 by FredManRave

I fear disappointment awaits.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:06 - May 14 with 1362 viewsthemodfather

do we try for Hugill? relegated with rotherham, we know him and he scores.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:19 - May 14 with 1345 viewsmart_Goblin

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:06 - May 14 by themodfather

Not for me
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:27 - May 14 with 1333 viewshantssi

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:06 - May 14 by themodfather

Why oh why oh why?
He’s hardly scored for Rotherham this season, 5 goals plus 1 assist we’d be better off sticking with Dykes!
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 22:32 - May 14 with 1228 viewsbosh67

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 04:36 - May 14 by FredManRave

When I met my girlfriend she told me she was bi. Turned out she meant bipolar.

The joke is I always tell people I date two women. They just happen to be the same one.

On the Rangers front. Marti to get in a decentish striker and offload a few more. Replace generally with Scandinavian, Irish and German players who seem to just want to play more.

And get Fred his female identical twins or we'll never hear the end of it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 22:34 - May 14 with 1203 viewsstainrods_elbow

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 20:27 - May 14 by hantssi

Why oh why oh why?
He’s hardly scored for Rotherham this season, 5 goals plus 1 assist we’d be better off sticking with Dykes!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c6pyy68dqpqo

Tommy Conway at Brizzle would be a great shout, but I doubt that we could get him. If they'd take Willock or Dykes, though, I think that could be a good move for everyone.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 22:43 - May 14 with 1192 viewsLblock

Here’s a weird one….

A successful summer might actually mean Scotland doing average in the Euros and McDykes scoring four in three games.
There’s far too many lazy clubs out there who’ll be quick to write out a cheque for say £4.5mill off the back of that without realising it’s £4mill too much

A transfer for Eze be nice an all

That aside I feel we need four pacey fit players, two up top please
Get em in early and tuned into Marti’s coaching and then maybe a couple of decent loans at end of window

We’ll see

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 07:26 - May 15 with 1062 viewsloftus77

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 00:57 - May 13 by Jules4367

Keeping Marti!

This...along with Xavier Calm. All that matters. Thread closed IMHO.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 08:40 - May 15 with 999 viewssaxbend

Either keep Dykes and sign another striker or sell him and sign two. Just replacing him with another striker, even a more prolific one, wouldn't leave us with any more options than we currently have.

We will also need another right-back (Dunne is also cover for CB) and cover for when Field/Colback are suspended.

If we can't find a goalkeeper better for us than Begovic then giving him another year wouldn't be terrible.

We will also likely need a player for the number 7 shirt, whether that is Willock or someone new.

If we sell Clarke-Salter then anything over £6m I would call a success.

Four out of five of those plus keeping Marti would be a successful summer.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 08:54 - May 15 with 972 viewsNed_Kennedys

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 07:26 - May 15 by loftus77

This...along with Xavier Calm. All that matters. Thread closed IMHO.

Yes that’s obviously very important but definitely not all that matters.
We still finished near the bottom down to the playing squad: with a number gone and surely more to follow then we need better quality replacements.
[Post edited 15 May 12:59]
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 09:04 - May 15 with 951 viewscaliforniahoop

Nathan Ferguson RB, Josh Knight CB,Ian Poveda RW, Tyreese Campbell ST and Tim I on loan from Villa.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 09:05 - May 15 with 948 viewsdmm

Many seem to feel we're okay in midfield but I beg to differ in terms of having sufficient numbers. It may depend on the formation we adopt but we will need up to 5 midfield players.

A 4231 would need 1 or 2 new players in the two and 2 or 3 in the front three. A 433 would need 2 or 3 new players in the middle 3 and 1 or 2 in the front 3.

Whichever formation we play, I hope we recruit at least one box to box CM, although I think EDB could be developed in that role. Colback, Field and Hayden, should we get him, are all DCMs.
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 10:27 - May 15 with 886 viewsEsox_Lucius

Getting that long haired Scandinavian from Man City on a 5 year contract for £10k a week.

The grass is always greener.

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 12:56 - May 15 with 772 viewshantssi

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 10:27 - May 15 by Esox_Lucius

Getting that long haired Scandinavian from Man City on a 5 year contract for £10k a week.

Are you sure, League 2 player at best!
What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 21:14 - May 18 with 381 viewsDylanP

A young Gary Lineker explains why Dykes isn’t effective:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1562956677757599?fs=e&mibextid=3pERcX&fs=e

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

What would you consider success to be this off-season? on 23:20 - May 18 with 266 viewskarlski

If we get Eze money, answers might be different, but assuming we don't:

- Cash in on JCS as much as I think he's excellent, bring in youngish development CB. Curious if MC wants to continue with Dunne at RB - if not, then obviously that's an area we need someone else.

- Move Begovic on and find replacement. Think Walsh is excellent prospect, but could use a few more years development behind a solid older (but not ancient) keeper.

- Move Dykes on, bring in two alternative young strikers, preferably permanently, but even a decent loan is fine here (allowing Armstrong and Kolli to get experience on loan, with Frey as an alternative). If we can only bring one in, I'd send Armstrong on loan and keep Kolli in the squad. Just think there's something about him.

- Wish Willock well and wave him goodbye, using wages freed up towards a younger attacking mid as replacement (whether for a fee or on a free, don't know)

- Do not sell Sam Field or Ilias Chair, unless we get a ridiculously attractive offer for Chair (8m+?). I think we will miss all the work Field does and find it surprisingly hard to replace. Chair I would take an offer for, but assume his value is tarnished until legal case is resolved, so would prefer to keep him than lose him for a lowball offer.

- Think we need an additional central midfielder who can keep possession ticking over. Good energy, tight control, etc.

- Keep Marti.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024