Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers 09:09 - May 17 with 7808 viewsNorthernr

Here we go then...

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers 17th May 2024 09:07
The first of our annual four-part individual assessment of the QPR players’ performances during the previous season always starts with the goalkeepers – and, regrettably, that means we’re puncturing the recent feel-good factor round here by beginning with a negative. 6

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:12 - May 18 with 1407 viewsstainrods_elbow

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:27 - May 18 by thehat

Thanks Clive - Good read that.

My thoughts on Asmir are probably a bit higher I think he has been reasonably steady throughout the season. Yes he has made some mistakes as all goalkeepers do (look at Neuer in the CL semi final) but has always been fit and available and is probably a good egg in the dressing room. He has also made some big saves at key moments.

That said if we can shake hands and move on then it would be the right thing to do however I have a sneaky feeling those number of appearances have probably triggered a contract extension.

If that is the case then we need to use next season as Asmir handing over the baton to Joe Walsh who has been groomed for the last 3 years for this situation. Walsh the number one with Asmir on the bench ready for any wobbles we might get whilst at the same time bringing on Salamon so he is ready for the following season.

Good to see Archer leaving and I would also let Mahoney go if we can to save some funds.

For me the best Goalkeeper ever remains Jan Stejskal with Peter Hucker running him close. My Dad would always say Phil Parkes but I don't have enough memory of him on archive in my brain.

Historically, has the goalkeeping position arguably been the one in which QPR have been the strongest? We've had some really good keepers over the years; in no particular order of merit/appearance,

Parkes
Hucker
Woods
Burridge
Seaman
Barron
Stejskal
Camp
Kenny
Miklosko
Smithies

And Green, I suppose, who played (not very well) for England.

Mind you, I guess you'd also have to factor in Roberts, Lumley, and Ikeme (who Wolves rated so highly they loaned him to EIGHT different clubs, and whose clownish part in that hammering at Leicester under early Warnock still turns my stomach).

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:27 - May 18 with 1365 viewsGaryBannister86

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:12 - May 18 by stainrods_elbow

Historically, has the goalkeeping position arguably been the one in which QPR have been the strongest? We've had some really good keepers over the years; in no particular order of merit/appearance,

Parkes
Hucker
Woods
Burridge
Seaman
Barron
Stejskal
Camp
Kenny
Miklosko
Smithies

Mind you, I guess you'd also have to factor in Roberts, Lumley, and Ikeme (who Wolves rated so highly they loaned him to EIGHT different clubs, and whose clownish part in that hammering at Leicester under early Warnock still turns my stomach).

I think you've got Miklosko, Burridge and Barron in the wrong list there. They were useless.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:28 - May 18 with 1364 viewsQPR_Jim

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:53 - May 18 by stainrods_elbow

No it's not - it's seriously misleading. As any pro manager will agree, any team defends (or fails to defend) from the front. If Begovic had too much to do (whether he did it or not), especially in the first part of the season, that was as much down to those in front of him (or not in front of him).

But the stats are adjusted for that and he was 3rd worst in the league. Based on the shots our opponents managed to get in with an average goalkeeper we should have conceded 7 less goals.

Conversely Dykes's stats are average, he's marginally under the number of goals he's scored for the amount of goals expected from the shots he's had. We still want/need better and he's average, why should Begovic even be entertained as being adequate or even worse for a new contract.
[Post edited 18 May 10:30]
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:34 - May 18 with 1347 viewsterryb

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:27 - May 18 by GaryBannister86

I think you've got Miklosko, Burridge and Barron in the wrong list there. They were useless.

As was Woods.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:02 - May 18 with 1301 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:12 - May 18 by stainrods_elbow

Parkes
Hucker
Woods
Burridge
Seaman
Barron
Stejskal
Camp
Kenny
Miklosko
Smithies

Miklosko?!
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:04 - May 18 with 1296 viewsthehat

Barron was poor although he did save a penalty at Anfield in The Milk Cup semi final to help give us one of the best away nights ever and Green did have his moment in the sun at Wembley.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:09 - May 18 with 1279 viewsozexile

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:04 - May 18 by thehat

Barron was poor although he did save a penalty at Anfield in The Milk Cup semi final to help give us one of the best away nights ever and Green did have his moment in the sun at Wembley.

Never understood how Smith preferred Barron over Hucker. Baffling.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:34 - May 18 with 1162 viewsNed_Kennedys

C’mon be honest with yourself: you think they were ALL useless due to your inability to see or understand what a goalkeeper does.
Login to get fewer ads

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:14 - May 20 with 887 viewsTheChef

Allegedly in talks about a new deal.

Hope it's just Twitter b0ll0cks!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:48 - May 20 with 803 viewsCamberleyR

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:34 - May 18 by terryb

As was Woods.

Yes Terry but as I've stated elsewhere, Woods when he came to us was a young kid, younger than Walsh is now and his only first team appearances for Forest had been the League Cup games he played for the cup tied Shilton in 77/78, although some very big games there including the final and the final replay.

When he came to us in '79 he was basically learning on the job. He had though a European Cup winners medal in his pocket when he came to us as his last game for Forest was the 1979 European Cup Final where he was on the bench.

I never rated him when he played for England but you don't have the long club career he went on to have if you can't play a bit.
[Post edited 20 May 10:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 13:36 - May 22 with 605 viewsloftus77

Might be in a minority of one here - but Budgie useless? Tad harsh IMHO. I remember a good pro, a character and a brave shotstopper under Venables. Maybe rose-tinted from my long-lost youth...
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:55 - May 22 with 455 viewsterryb

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:48 - May 20 by CamberleyR

Yes Terry but as I've stated elsewhere, Woods when he came to us was a young kid, younger than Walsh is now and his only first team appearances for Forest had been the League Cup games he played for the cup tied Shilton in 77/78, although some very big games there including the final and the final replay.

When he came to us in '79 he was basically learning on the job. He had though a European Cup winners medal in his pocket when he came to us as his last game for Forest was the 1979 European Cup Final where he was on the bench.

I never rated him when he played for England but you don't have the long club career he went on to have if you can't play a bit.
[Post edited 20 May 10:57]

I know he had a very good career, but I was only commenting on his time at Rangers & IMO he cost us promotion that season.

I'm also very suspicious of any player that only spent one season at a club managed by Docherty! This is based on what I was told by a player that he tried to sign for Manchester United.

Not that I know that Woods have been given the same incentives!
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:57 - May 22 with 454 viewsGaryBannister86

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:34 - May 18 by Ned_Kennedys

C’mon be honest with yourself: you think they were ALL useless due to your inability to see or understand what a goalkeeper does.

You can debate without being rude and tiresome, you know.

In my opinion, having stood / sat and watched them play for the hoops many times, they were rubbish for us.

Obviously you beg to differ, that's fine.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:15 - May 22 with 400 viewsslmrstid

If you want to remember a useless goalkeeper remember Generosso Rossi? I mean, he only played 3 games at the end of a season but I'm sure he never dived once for anything, just watched the ball fly around him and hoped for the best.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:28 - May 22 with 387 viewsdannyblue

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:15 - May 22 by slmrstid

If you want to remember a useless goalkeeper remember Generosso Rossi? I mean, he only played 3 games at the end of a season but I'm sure he never dived once for anything, just watched the ball fly around him and hoped for the best.

Generous is not an auspicious name for a keeper.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 17:52 - May 22 with 372 viewsnadera78

The club is currently advertising for a Head of Goalkeeping position, reporting directly to Marti and Nourry. Change is afoot.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 18:30 - May 22 with 342 viewsNed_Kennedys

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 16:57 - May 22 by GaryBannister86

You can debate without being rude and tiresome, you know.

In my opinion, having stood / sat and watched them play for the hoops many times, they were rubbish for us.

Obviously you beg to differ, that's fine.

It’s tiresome when someone slags off goalkeepers incessantly, mainly Begovic.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 20:58 - May 22 with 272 viewssimmo

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 18:30 - May 22 by Ned_Kennedys

It’s tiresome when someone slags off goalkeepers incessantly, mainly Begovic.

We need to raise our standards - he was a terrible signing on almost every metric

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024