Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate’s replacement. 10:33 - May 20 with 8386 viewsSnipper

With Southgate more than likely going after this summers Euro’s, who do you think will replace him, or who would you like?

Personally, I think the FA should beak the bank and go for Pep Guardiola. I honestly think that if he’d have been in charge for the last two tournaments, England would already be European and World champions.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:53 - May 21 with 1205 viewsNorthernr

As a small aside I'd like to improve everybody's mood by telling you the three goalkeeprs called up for the U17s are called: Spike Grits, Douglass Lukjanciks and Oliver Whatmuff.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:23 - May 21 with 1134 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:53 - May 21 by Northernr

As a small aside I'd like to improve everybody's mood by telling you the three goalkeeprs called up for the U17s are called: Spike Grits, Douglass Lukjanciks and Oliver Whatmuff.

can we sign Whatmuff just for the match reports
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:38 - May 21 with 1081 viewskensalriser

Stop it!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:59 - May 21 with 1022 viewsAntti_Heinola

33 seems like a large provisional squad doesn't it?
I do worry for Eze, but for those saying GS doesn't make the big decisions, he's proving again he always has and continues to do so - so there is hope.
Sounds like Shaw is hope more than anything else, so he's one.

1. Shaw
2. Trafford
3. I'd say Dunk, but he'd go and not complain about never playing, so who knows?
4. Quansah
5. Wharton
6. Maddison
7. Bowen

Would be the unmagnificent 7.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:27 - May 21 with 961 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:59 - May 21 by Antti_Heinola

I do worry for Eze, but for those saying GS doesn't make the big decisions, he's proving again he always has and continues to do so - so there is hope.

1. Shaw
2. Trafford
3. I'd say Dunk, but he'd go and not complain about never playing, so who knows?
4. Quansah
5. Wharton
6. Maddison
7. Bowen

I would guess it’s Eze vs Maddison for a spot.

Eze is in better form but Maddison has been one of Southgate’s boys
Southgate’s replacement. on 16:39 - May 21 with 941 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 09:07 - May 21 by Monkey_Roots

What is your story lassel?

You always seem to have the word on the street, in the know type wisdom… where do you work, who do you know, who’s ear do you have?

On City I actually have a relative on the first team staff so I get to hear some funny stories from behind the scenes and get some cool signed bits and pieces. On Guardiola I just read it online though, I’ve never heard any gossip on signings etc to do with them and don’t bother asking.

Fun fact, the papers perhaps for the first time ever actually undersold the size of Grealish’s bender last summer - by all accounts it’s a miracle he even remembers his own name, let alone their treble.
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:45 - May 21 with 839 viewsHunterhoop

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:27 - May 21 by lassel

Surely it’s Eze, Maddison, Grealish, Bowen, and Gordon vying for 3 spots? It sounds like you think Gordon and Grealish are in for sure, and it’s Bowen out, and Eze and Maddison vying for the La at spot?

I think Grealish will miss out due to form and fitness. I suspect he’ll then see Bowen and Gordon as very similar players where he’ll only want one of that type.

It’s possible he might only cut one of that group above, IF Toney is cut. Bowen could theoretically act as the 3rd choice centre forward if needed.

Finally, another way of looking at that group of 5 is which spot in the team is up for grabs? Is it the wide forward on the left or no. 10 at the peak of the midfield 3? A lot depends on Foden. If he plans to use Foden centrally, you’re selecting from that 5 based on who is the best left sided wide forward. If Foden plays left, you want someone who can back up there if needed and possibly start at 10.

Maddison suits the latter but not former. Gordon suits the former but absolutely not the latter. Bowen arguably doesn’t suit either perfectly. Grealish does suit both, as does Eze. But Eze is in form and with a lot more recent game time under his belt.

I think it should be 1 of Maddison/Grealish who is cut and 1 of Bowen/Gordon who is cut, for the most balanced squad. Keep both Bowen and Gordon is Toney is cut.

I’d play Foden at 10 and start Eze on the left though. They could interchange throughout a game very well.
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:47 - May 21 with 837 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:59 - May 21 by Antti_Heinola

1. Shaw
2. Trafford
4. Quansah
5. Wharton
6. Maddison
7. Bowen

He said it was that big due to the injuries they have plus Bellingham is in champions league final so doubt he'll play the friendlies
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:51 - May 21 with 834 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:45 - May 21 by Hunterhoop

Surely it’s Eze, Maddison, Grealish, Bowen, and Gordon vying for 3 spots? It sounds like you think Gordon and Grealish are in for sure, and it’s Bowen out, and Eze and Maddison vying for the La at spot?

I think Grealish will miss out due to form and fitness. I suspect he’ll then see Bowen and Gordon as very similar players where he’ll only want one of that type.

It’s possible he might only cut one of that group above, IF Toney is cut. Bowen could theoretically act as the 3rd choice centre forward if needed.

Finally, another way of looking at that group of 5 is which spot in the team is up for grabs? Is it the wide forward on the left or no. 10 at the peak of the midfield 3? A lot depends on Foden. If he plans to use Foden centrally, you’re selecting from that 5 based on who is the best left sided wide forward. If Foden plays left, you want someone who can back up there if needed and possibly start at 10.

Maddison suits the latter but not former. Gordon suits the former but absolutely not the latter. Bowen arguably doesn’t suit either perfectly. Grealish does suit both, as does Eze. But Eze is in form and with a lot more recent game time under his belt.

I think it should be 1 of Maddison/Grealish who is cut and 1 of Bowen/Gordon who is cut, for the most balanced squad. Keep both Bowen and Gordon is Toney is cut.

I’d play Foden at 10 and start Eze on the left though. They could interchange throughout a game very well.

In my head if Grealish was being left out he wouldn't be in this squad, the big name ones not going are already done imo, could be wrong though as I do agree with what you are saying
Southgate is quite good at picking players who are thrilled to be there whether they play or not, Grealish is probably one of those, a good bloke around the camp

With Kanes injury I think he'll take Toney and Watkins as back up
Southgate’s replacement. on 17:54 - May 21 with 823 viewsqueensparker

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:23 - May 21 by daveB

can we sign Whatmuff just for the match reports

Oliver Whatmuff and Harry Cant as our youth goalkeeping line-up would be spectacular
Southgate’s replacement. on 18:12 - May 21 with 795 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:54 - May 21 by queensparker

Oliver Whatmuff and Harry Cant as our youth goalkeeping line-up would be spectacular

Harry Cant is a name built for me to spell wrong and make a right cant of myself
Southgate’s replacement. on 18:47 - May 21 with 730 viewskensalriser

Southgate’s replacement. on 17:54 - May 21 by queensparker

I'm sure they'd be a pair of eager beavers.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Southgate’s replacement. on 18:50 - May 21 with 728 viewslassel

I mean my guess for the cut list is basically the same as Antii’s:

1. Shaw
2. Trafford
3. Dunk or Branthwaite
4. Quansah
5. Wharton
6. Maddison or Eze
7. Bowen

I imagine they’ll set up:

Mainoo/Gallagher———Rice

Saka———Bellingham———-Foden

———————-Kane—————

With Palmer and Grealish first choices off the bench for the supporting 3 but who knows with Southgate. He’s made a big play of leaving Rashford out for his terrible form so on paper he should probably leave Maddison at home too but it’s impossible to say. I’d be shocked if Grealish doesn’t make the final squad though.
Southgate’s replacement. on 19:45 - May 21 with 682 viewsHunterhoop

Surely Curtis Jones doesn’t make the final squad?!
Southgate’s replacement. on 20:29 - May 21 with 636 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 19:45 - May 21 by Hunterhoop

Surely Curtis Jones doesn’t make the final squad?!

Who knows with Garthiola!

Considering the lack of depth in a deeper role in that 33 it must surely be Jones *or* Wharton who go
Southgate’s replacement. on 20:42 - May 21 with 589 viewsAntti_Heinola

I feel like he might take Gordon for his pace as a sort of back up to saka.
Whoever he picks, a big name will miss out.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:44 - May 21 with 585 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 18:50 - May 21 by lassel

I mean my guess for the cut list is basically the same as Antii’s:

1. Shaw
2. Trafford
3. Dunk or Branthwaite
4. Quansah
5. Wharton
6. Maddison or Eze
7. Bowen

I imagine they’ll set up:

Mainoo/Gallagher———Rice

Saka———Bellingham———-Foden

———————-Kane—————

With Palmer and Grealish first choices off the bench for the supporting 3 but who knows with Southgate. He’s made a big play of leaving Rashford out for his terrible form so on paper he should probably leave Maddison at home too but it’s impossible to say. I’d be shocked if Grealish doesn’t make the final squad though.

Branthwaite is surely a certainty. Been brilliant this season

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:48 - May 21 with 579 viewsTK1

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:29 - May 21 by lassel

Considering the lack of depth in a deeper role in that 33 it must surely be Jones *or* Wharton who go

I think the camp and two friendlies will decide it - he genuinely sounded like he didn't have a clue beyond 18 places at the presser. And I reckon Wharton and Eze should come in in flying club form and ease out Jones and Maddison who are not in good form.
But who knows? Wharton looks a proper player, better than Jones or Gallagher. I wonder if in years to come we'll be saying "can't believe we took Curtis Jones to Euro 24 over Wharton" - or the other way round?
Southgate’s replacement. on 20:50 - May 21 with 570 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:29 - May 21 by lassel

or Gallagher
Southgate’s replacement. on 20:53 - May 21 with 567 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:48 - May 21 by TK1

I think the camp and two friendlies will decide it - he genuinely sounded like he didn't have a clue beyond 18 places at the presser. And I reckon Wharton and Eze should come in in flying club form and ease out Jones and Maddison who are not in good form.
But who knows? Wharton looks a proper player, better than Jones or Gallagher. I wonder if in years to come we'll be saying "can't believe we took Curtis Jones to Euro 24 over Wharton" - or the other way round?

The last Euros he took Saka in the training squad to cover whilst a few were in the champions league final and he was so good in the friendlies as was Grealish that they were in the final squad and both playing regular as well

I do think if Wharton gets a chance and does well he has a great opportunity to get in here, he is exactly the midfield player England need
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:06 - May 21 with 554 viewsDannyPaddox

English supporters wanting a foreign manager to manage England. Desperate & embarrassing. Embarrassing & desperate.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think France, Germany, Spain or Italy have ever countenanced having anyone but a manager from their country managing their country.

If we’re gonna have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite, then let’s have World Cups, & nationalism, and jingoism-lite. Ya can’t start going ooh let’s have a foreign manager cos the English managers aren’t good enough. Okay you can but it’s pathetic.
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:27 - May 21 with 537 viewslassel

Southgate’s replacement. on 20:44 - May 21 by Antti_Heinola

Branthwaite is surely a certainty. Been brilliant this season

I mean personally I’d take Branthwaite but allegedly Southgate trusts Dunk so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Dunk got the nod
Southgate’s replacement. on 21:33 - May 21 with 526 viewshantssi

You missed out Ted Curd!
Southgate’s replacement. on 23:09 - May 21 with 456 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 21:27 - May 21 by lassel

I mean personally I’d take Branthwaite but allegedly Southgate trusts Dunk so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Dunk got the nod

depressing if true. Got embarrassed in his last game for England. I don't mind him in the squad, mind, as a nice bloke around the camp, but not at Branthwaite's expense.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 23:18 - May 21 with 443 viewsngbqpr

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:27 - May 21 by lassel

I disagree re Maddison being one of his boys. He resisted the call to pick him and / or give him meaningful game time for aeons when he was in imperious form or Leicester.

Only ever really been a cameo sub. I think that's Eze's best chance.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024