Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 12:11 - Jun 28 with 2892 viewsJonDoeman

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/28/david-beckham-london-2012-football?n

It Is What It Is !!

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:14 - Jun 28 with 2139 viewsHollowayRanger

There is a god!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:28 - Jun 28 with 2089 viewsQPunkR

My word

QPR - "shit but local"

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:28 - Jun 28 with 2088 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Stuart Pearce trying to win it. Whatever next.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:35 - Jun 28 with 2062 viewsNorthernr

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:35 - Jun 28 with 2060 viewsR_from_afar

Hmm, after some of the politically motivated inclusions in the Euros squad, perhaps there is a change of strategy, i.e. pick a squad which can win the current tournament.

How novel!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:38 - Jun 28 with 2054 viewsHarps1609

Team GB have the same chance of winning Gold as Stoke have of winning the Premier League next season...None!!
They should have picked Beckham, not just because he helped towards the winning of the Olympics, but because he is still a very decent player, and because people want to see him play, and he really wanted to play.
I think it's a shame.
Team GB will be worse off without him.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:43 - Jun 28 with 2032 viewsJamie

Nice of him to let Pearce announce his own squad.

No ego with Becks clearly.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:00 - Jun 28 with 1995 viewsBasingstokeR

All these people saying its harsh because he worked so hard on the bid?

Does that mean we should let Seb Coe run the 800 and 1500m then?

Maybe Phil Beard would fancy doing a bit of something too?

Good decision imho, Giggs is questionable too - but at least he's playing towards the highest level still.

Are any other notable countries taking a older marquee name?
Login to get fewer ads

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:05 - Jun 28 with 1978 viewssimmo

Have the Olympics not buggered off yet?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:06 - Jun 28 with 1968 viewsJonDoeman

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:38 - Jun 28 by Harps1609

Team GB have the same chance of winning Gold as Stoke have of winning the Premier League next season...None!!
They should have picked Beckham, not just because he helped towards the winning of the Olympics, but because he is still a very decent player, and because people want to see him play, and he really wanted to play.
I think it's a shame.

Ridiculous.

It Is What It Is !!

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:07 - Jun 28 with 1967 viewsJamie

'Are any other notable countries taking a older marquee name? '

Spain are taking their u21s + Capel & Lopez who just missed out on the Euros. Brazil are taking the u21s + Hulk.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:10 - Jun 28 with 1953 viewsBasingstokeR

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:07 - Jun 28 by Jamie

Spain are taking their u21s + Capel & Lopez who just missed out on the Euros. Brazil are taking the u21s + Hulk.

Its got to be judged on the playing side; can't believe some of the crud on Tw@tter today about Dave Beckham - the word "disgrace" and "disrespectful" getting banged about - silly.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:22 - Jun 28 with 1909 viewsJonDoeman

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 12:38 - Jun 28 by Harps1609

I think it's a shame.

Andy Jacobs was just saying something like this on Talksport , now I know I'm definitely right to disagree! ;)

It Is What It Is !!

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:22 - Jun 28 with 1909 viewsToast_R

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:07 - Jun 28 by Jamie

Hulk? Better not get him angry...

Beckham shouldn't have stayed in America if he wanted to carry on representing his country the numpty.

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:23 - Jun 28 with 1906 viewsHarps1609

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:06 - Jun 28 by JonDoeman

Ridiculous.

Oh I am so sorry for having a different view to yours, I don't care if you agree or not, but to say ridiculous ....rude!!!
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:24 - Jun 28 with 1899 viewsJonDoeman

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:23 - Jun 28 by Harps1609

Oh I am so sorry for having a different view to yours, I don't care if you agree or not, but to say ridiculous ....rude!!!

Wouldn't be first time!

It Is What It Is !!

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:29 - Jun 28 with 1887 viewsNov77

the only thing beckham has been interested in since he met posh is building brand Beckham, and what better stage to do it on than the Olympics, think how many underpants and bottles of aftershave he'll be able to flog. surprised posh hasn't got a concession stand outside.

total gobshite of a couple, know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
prick had every haircut it's possible to have whilst playing for england, even a mohican, why? coz he knew it would guarantee his picture in the paper.

Heres another way to get your pic in the paper Dave:

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:32 - Jun 28 with 1874 viewsHarps1609

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:24 - Jun 28 by JonDoeman

Wouldn't be first time!

Try elaborating on what you disagreed with for a start...
Stoke to win the Prem??
GB to win Gold??
Beckham helping to win the bid??

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:35 - Jun 28 with 1868 viewsBluce_Ree

Whatever.

Football things I care about:

1. QPR

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:42 - Jun 28 with 1850 viewsBasingstokeR

I think it's a shame.

"Team GB have the same chance of winning Gold as Stoke have of winning the Premier League next season...None!!"

You're not saying that if we have no chance of winning we shouldn't still pick the best athletes are you? Basically - If you can't win - don't try as hard as you can to?
The next logical leap from there is not bother at all then if you can't win - don't compete? Unless I'm misundertanding you great attitude.

Its different to what people wanted the England national team to do and build for the future,
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:58 - Jun 28 with 1802 viewsHarps1609

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:42 - Jun 28 by BasingstokeR

"Team GB have the same chance of winning Gold as Stoke have of winning the Premier League next season...None!!"

You're not saying that if we have no chance of winning we shouldn't still pick the best athletes are you? Basically - If you can't win - don't try as hard as you can to?
The next logical leap from there is not bother at all then if you can't win - don't compete? Unless I'm misundertanding you great attitude.

Its different to what people wanted the England national team to do and build for the future,

I apoligise if that is how it looked, I can see how that may have happened, but no, not what I was saying.
I think a player of Beckham's class and more importantly his desire would be benficial to team GB, maybe I am sentimental, but throughout his career, he has always given 100%.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 14:03 - Jun 28 with 1792 viewsBasingstokeR

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:58 - Jun 28 by Harps1609

I apoligise if that is how it looked, I can see how that may have happened, but no, not what I was saying.
I think a player of Beckham's class and more importantly his desire would be benficial to team GB, maybe I am sentimental, but throughout his career, he has always given 100%.

Fair play Harps; but its got to be picked on sporting merit ONLY - otherwise as an example it gives kids (already living in a media and celebrity heavy world) the wrong impression about what the Olympics is about imho.

I wouldn't disagree Beckham is some sort of an icon, but not in the way someone like Steve Redgrave is!

Phil McNulty is talking some sense on BBC imho;

Phil McNulty,BBC Sport
"David Beckham will receive widespread sympathy after his omission from the Team GB football squad - but if his inclusion was only going to be based on sentiment or as a gesture of thanks for bringing the games to London then Stuart Pearce is right to exclude him.

"Pearce, however, is sure to feel a weight of criticism for his treatment of the enduringly popular Beckham for such a global event and many will believe his absence will damage tournament. On purely football grounds, however, it is a decision based on sound logic.

"It was always going to be tough for the 37-year-old to be one of the three over-age players when he has been playing for LA Galaxy while Ryan Giggs, Micah Richards and Craig Bellamy have been featuring in the Premier League."
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 14:12 - Jun 28 with 1768 viewsJamie

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 13:58 - Jun 28 by Harps1609

Beckham's class is long since gone unfortunately. These days he is lucky to be the 11th best player on the pitch for LA Galaxy.

As for his desire, his desire for the Olympics was to flog 'Olympic, a scent by David Beckham' and get his name higher up the list for Sir David Robert Joseph Beckham......

....at which point he will release 'Sir, a scent by Sir David Beckham'.
David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 14:23 - Jun 28 with 1745 viewsWestbourneR

I can see it's an unpopular viewpoint in here but I feel David Beckham deserved a palce. He has done more for the standing and image of the UK than any other player. He represents us with pride and dignity and worked very hard to get the Olympics to London.

I think it's sad that so many people rejoice in his omission. He deserves better.

For me he will always be a legend.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 14:30 - Jun 28 with 1731 viewsBasingstokeR

David Beckham left out of Team GB football squad for London 2012 on 14:23 - Jun 28 by WestbourneR

I can see it's an unpopular viewpoint in here but I feel David Beckham deserved a palce. He has done more for the standing and image of the UK than any other player. He represents us with pride and dignity and worked very hard to get the Olympics to London.

I think it's sad that so many people rejoice in his omission. He deserves better.

For me he will always be a legend.

So equivalently you'd put Les Ferdinand in our starting line up next year would you?

Having the sentiment is fine but confusing it to the point where you're putting Dave Beckham in the line up is going too far. Just let him carry the torch last or something.

I'm not that excited about the Olympics, but do they really mean that little to people that we shouldn't expect the people involved to take them seriously?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024