Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road 16:13 - Jun 30 with 1209 viewspeejaybee

Have been going down the Rsssss for over 60 years now and must have walked up and down Loftus Road hundreds of times, does anyone know what the LOFTUS bit is .Is it a place or is it a thing.???????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Loftus Road on 16:27 - Jun 30 with 1181 viewsHantsR

Not definite but feel it's highly likely that there is a South African link.

I suggest Robert Owen Loftus Versfeld the founder of organised sports in Pretoria South Africa and after whom the Loftus Versfeld stadium is named?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Loftus Road on 16:39 - Jun 30 with 1160 viewsESSEXURs

Loftus Road on 16:27 - Jun 30 by HantsR

I suggest Robert Owen Loftus Versfeld the founder of organised sports in Pretoria South Africa and after whom the Loftus Versfeld stadium is named?

We have Loftus Road Bloemfontein Road and South Africa Road all linking to South Africa which may have come from the various international exhibitions and athletics events on the adjoining White City exhibition site of the early 1900's
Loftus Road on 16:43 - Jun 30 with 1142 viewsrongould

That is the most likely answer.
Loftus Road on 16:50 - Jun 30 with 1126 viewsPeterHucker

someone once told me that those roads were built shortly after the Boer war and so they were named after places from that war. Wasn't Bloemfontein quite a famous battle in that war?
Loftus Road on 17:13 - Jun 30 with 1083 viewsTheBlob

Loftus Road on 16:50 - Jun 30 by PeterHucker

someone once told me that those roads were built shortly after the Boer war and so they were named after places from that war. Wasn't Bloemfontein quite a famous battle in that war?

British concentration camp there.Not one of our finest hours.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Loftus Road on 17:18 - Jun 30 with 1068 viewsQPR1882

100% Correct. Street names in the area suggest links to South Africa but these were inspired by places and personalities from the Boer War or by their proximity to the former position of the South Africa Pavilion in the White City exhibition area.
Loftus Road on 17:25 - Jun 30 with 1052 viewspadstow

Loftus, a Shire suburb of Sydney is named after Lord Augustus William Frederick Spencer Loftus. He was Governor of New South Wales 1878-1885 (i.e. when we were formed!).

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=142
Loftus Road on 18:01 - Jun 30 with 998 viewspeejaybee

Loftus Road on 17:25 - Jun 30 by padstow

Loftus, a Shire suburb of Sydney is named after Lord Augustus William Frederick Spencer Loftus. He was Governor of New South Wales 1878-1885 (i.e. when we were formed!).

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=142

I like that one.I wonder if Lord Loftus was a convict.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road on 18:37 - Jun 30 with 949 viewsDWQPR

Loftus Road on 18:01 - Jun 30 by peejaybee

I like that one.I wonder if Lord Loftus was a convict.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that he was a long lost relation of Paladini!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024