Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
United Nations Starting Line-Up 14:04 - Aug 31 with 2580 viewsellersliehoop

It's disticntly possible in the next few weeks that we're going to field a starting eleven that will not include one British player...............tragic
United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:16 - Aug 31 with 2553 viewsTacticalR

Britain has outsourced everything else...why not football?

Air hostess clique

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:24 - Aug 31 with 2528 viewsellersliehoop

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:16 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

Britain has outsourced everything else...why not football?

True..........but an English team without a single Englishman just seems wrong to me
United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:25 - Aug 31 with 2527 viewsDylanP

Why?

Great players play great football.

The British players we had weren't quite great enough (in MH's eyes). However, we have a really exciting crew of British youngsters in our U21 team working to make the step up. If they are great enough they will make the grade. Personally, I don't care what country they are from, I care how they play on the field. I care about their passion for the game. I care about their pride at wearing the colours: Pride at wearing the colours -- Faurlin (not British); Passion for the game -- Cisse, Adel (both not British); and so on. Of course, shared culture can make it easier for players to bond and develop the necesssary chemistry. But so can lots of other things, including personality and drive (both of which have nothing to do with place of birth). If it works out, we will all be happy.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:31 - Aug 31 with 2505 viewsellersliehoop

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:25 - Aug 31 by DylanP

Why?

Great players play great football.

The British players we had weren't quite great enough (in MH's eyes). However, we have a really exciting crew of British youngsters in our U21 team working to make the step up. If they are great enough they will make the grade. Personally, I don't care what country they are from, I care how they play on the field. I care about their passion for the game. I care about their pride at wearing the colours: Pride at wearing the colours -- Faurlin (not British); Passion for the game -- Cisse, Adel (both not British); and so on. Of course, shared culture can make it easier for players to bond and develop the necesssary chemistry. But so can lots of other things, including personality and drive (both of which have nothing to do with place of birth). If it works out, we will all be happy.

Fair point

I guess you would hope there would be some decent enough English players around worth buying for sensible money

Jordan Rhodes £8m - Esteban Granero £8/9m - says it all really I suppose
United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:42 - Aug 31 with 2496 viewsN12Hoop

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:31 - Aug 31 by ellersliehoop

Fair point

I guess you would hope there would be some decent enough English players around worth buying for sensible money

Jordan Rhodes £8m - Esteban Granero £8/9m - says it all really I suppose

That's the problem. Thee's no value buying British and if you develop young talent clubs like Spurs steal them. Hopefully with the academy things will change going forwards, but in the medium term we have to buy the finished article. However, there were rumours of dressing room divisions last season, and with a UN team you would have thought that it will take some effort to get them united and committed and not just acting as a bunch of highly paid mercenaries.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:48 - Aug 31 with 2484 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Joe Allen £15M.

Look at the business Newcastle did last year and Swansea this. English players are over-rated and over priced (Lpool last year - crazy)

It's got to be Yarg

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:53 - Aug 31 with 2474 viewsTacticalR

The real question is 'why is the quality of English players so poor?'

The Premier League wants to use The Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) to develop English talent.

Youth revolution aims for better England players — but will it work?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/aug/29/under-2

I agree with this post from ArchitectJohnLewis in the comments:

"Yet another attempt to improve the quality of cream by concentrating solely on the cream.

The way to make better cream is to improve the quality of the milk that it comes from.

If we want to compete in terms of skill with the rest of the world, we have to ensure that everyone who plays football in England does so to a higher standard than they do now.

Trevor Brooking knows this, but with youth development in the hands of the Premier League, it won't happen - they are not interested in the 95%+ of footballers not good enough to play professional football.

What they fail to understand is that if the standard is raised everywhere, the better players who emerge will be at a higher level at the age of 14-16 than they are now when the outstanding players are on the verge of developing into professionals.

It is too late at Youth level to try to imbue them with the basic skills that are learnt from age 5 onward elsewhere in the world."
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Air hostess clique

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 15:09 - Aug 31 with 2456 viewsblacky200

United Nations Starting Line-Up on 14:53 - Aug 31 by TacticalR

The real question is 'why is the quality of English players so poor?'

The Premier League wants to use The Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) to develop English talent.

Youth revolution aims for better England players — but will it work?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/aug/29/under-2

I agree with this post from ArchitectJohnLewis in the comments:

"Yet another attempt to improve the quality of cream by concentrating solely on the cream.

The way to make better cream is to improve the quality of the milk that it comes from.

If we want to compete in terms of skill with the rest of the world, we have to ensure that everyone who plays football in England does so to a higher standard than they do now.

Trevor Brooking knows this, but with youth development in the hands of the Premier League, it won't happen - they are not interested in the 95%+ of footballers not good enough to play professional football.

What they fail to understand is that if the standard is raised everywhere, the better players who emerge will be at a higher level at the age of 14-16 than they are now when the outstanding players are on the verge of developing into professionals.

It is too late at Youth level to try to imbue them with the basic skills that are learnt from age 5 onward elsewhere in the world."
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

The problem with developing young players is that all of them end up parked at "a big club" and only play 10 minutes of real competitive action once every few weeks until they are in their early to mid-20s when the big club realises that they are not developing (and by this time it is too late for them to develop) and they are then released to a smaller club but by then they are 8 years behind in their development with little chance of catching up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024