Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for the Saints... 10:43 - Feb 25 with 4273 viewsThe_Mole

Assuming all fit - what team/formation to play the Saints and look for the win...

............Cesar.............
Fabio....Samba....Hill...Traore
........Derry....Mbia........
...Towsend...Taarabt....Hoilett
............Remy...........

Maybe bring on BZ at half time when once again we're chasing the game?!

BTW - Does anyone know why Derry didn't feature against Utd??
Team for the Saints... on 10:45 - Feb 25 with 3288 viewsNorthernr

Not sure why Derry was out on Saturday - I do quite like the look of that team.
Team for the Saints... on 10:50 - Feb 25 with 3265 viewsHunterhoop

Team for the Saints... on 10:45 - Feb 25 by Northernr

Not sure why Derry was out on Saturday - I do quite like the look of that team.

Everyone likes that team.

But it doesn't work. It ends up being a 4-4-1-1 with Adel in the hole. What happens is we end up outnumbered in the midfield.

Our best performances this year have all come with a 3 man midfield where all 3 are proper CMs...not Adel ahead of Derry and Mbia and behind a front man.

We all want it to work, but Mbia and Derry are not good enough to make it so. They are both not good enough passers of the ball to get it to Adel, and Derry has to sit very deep to be effective meaning Mbia is running around chasing shadows.

I'd add Samba/Granero in and play a proper 3 man midfield...I'd have Adel instead of Hoilett and Townsend on the other side, with Remy up top.

That way, with 3 in the middle, we'll be able to pass it out a bit more rather than lump it forward and hope Remy can hold it up.
Team for the Saints... on 10:53 - Feb 25 with 3259 viewsElHoop

I'd just go for it and try to surprise them

Cesar
Bosingwa Samba Mbia Fabio
Hoilett Granero Taarabt Townshend
Remy Zamora
Team for the Saints... on 11:03 - Feb 25 with 3233 viewsdaveB

i'm amazed anyone has Bosingwa in their team, he was rubbish again on Saturday, Onoura and Fabio offer so much more.

I'd go along with hunter and play a 3 man central midfield, we're not good enough to play 4-4-2
Team for the Saints... on 11:03 - Feb 25 with 3234 viewsozexile

Team for the Saints... on 10:50 - Feb 25 by Hunterhoop

But it doesn't work. It ends up being a 4-4-1-1 with Adel in the hole. What happens is we end up outnumbered in the midfield.

Our best performances this year have all come with a 3 man midfield where all 3 are proper CMs...not Adel ahead of Derry and Mbia and behind a front man.

We all want it to work, but Mbia and Derry are not good enough to make it so. They are both not good enough passers of the ball to get it to Adel, and Derry has to sit very deep to be effective meaning Mbia is running around chasing shadows.

I'd add Samba/Granero in and play a proper 3 man midfield...I'd have Adel instead of Hoilett and Townsend on the other side, with Remy up top.

That way, with 3 in the middle, we'll be able to pass it out a bit more rather than lump it forward and hope Remy can hold it up.

If all the players play to their potential then there should lots of options for Derry and Mbia to pass to. He can go either side to the full backs or look up and see 4 players coming short or making space. I can't see a better line up than that.
Team for the Saints... on 11:29 - Feb 25 with 3211 viewsHunterhoop

Team for the Saints... on 11:03 - Feb 25 by ozexile

If all the players play to their potential then there should lots of options for Derry and Mbia to pass to. He can go either side to the full backs or look up and see 4 players coming short or making space. I can't see a better line up than that.

Yeah, I know that.

But that's also my point. It looks great on paper but it's not worked this season yet and, Christ, we've given it a good go, first under Hughes and now 'Arry.

Our best performances have been with a 3 man centre midfield.

We keep trying this 4-4-1-1 with Adel in front of a midfield 2, recently Derry and Mbia. The only game ALL season this system looked half decent was at home vs Fulham where we had Ale Faurlin to pass to Adel. EVERY other time we've attempted that shape we've been crap and have failed to find Adel to feet often enough, West Ham away being the best case study, Swansea home and away another one, Southampton at home another, etc, etc, etc.

What's that definition of insanity again...
Team for the Saints... on 11:35 - Feb 25 with 3201 viewsadhoc_qpr

I'd just like to see us get some men in the box occasionally in open play to indicate we are actually trying to score...

Trouble is i can't see Soton not scoring (they are pretty prolific) and i can't see us scoring more than 1 - so i expect a 1-1 draw is the best we can hope for.
Team for the Saints... on 11:41 - Feb 25 with 3190 viewspomanjou

Team for the Saints... on 11:35 - Feb 25 by adhoc_qpr

I'd just like to see us get some men in the box occasionally in open play to indicate we are actually trying to score...

Trouble is i can't see Soton not scoring (they are pretty prolific) and i can't see us scoring more than 1 - so i expect a 1-1 draw is the best we can hope for.

The way I see it too except it may be very open and 3-3.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Login to get fewer ads

Team for the Saints... on 11:42 - Feb 25 with 3189 viewsElHoop

Team for the Saints... on 11:03 - Feb 25 by daveB

i'm amazed anyone has Bosingwa in their team, he was rubbish again on Saturday, Onoura and Fabio offer so much more.

I'd go along with hunter and play a 3 man central midfield, we're not good enough to play 4-4-2

We'll never score enough goals in the games we need to win with the likes of Derry, Onouha and Hill playing. We needd to get the ball up the pitch and then keep it there for long enough to get men into the box.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Team for the Saints... on 11:50 - Feb 25 with 3171 viewsJonDoeman

The way Zamora went of the pitch I'll be surprised if he's playing Saturday , or will be of much use the rest of the season. Send him for the op if he needs it, or the knackers yard, one or the other.

It Is What It Is !!

Team for the Saints... on 12:00 - Feb 25 with 3162 viewsWatford_Ranger

Granero has been utter sht but the way Southampton play might suit him more than Derry.

Given a draw is meaningless to us in reality, I think it has to be Zamora and Remy with Taarabt and Townsend wide.
Team for the Saints... on 12:05 - Feb 25 with 3149 viewspomanjou

Team for the Saints... on 11:50 - Feb 25 by JonDoeman

The way Zamora went of the pitch I'll be surprised if he's playing Saturday , or will be of much use the rest of the season. Send him for the op if he needs it, or the knackers yard, one or the other.

Agree. The knackers yard is approaching. It pains me to say it, but Boothroyd seems a much better bet to start (There, I've said it, never thought I would ever give Boothroyd the time of day).

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Team for the Saints... on 12:06 - Feb 25 with 3143 viewsdaveB

Team for the Saints... on 11:42 - Feb 25 by ElHoop

We'll never score enough goals in the games we need to win with the likes of Derry, Onouha and Hill playing. We needd to get the ball up the pitch and then keep it there for long enough to get men into the box.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I'm not sure how these 3 players will stop that happening. You also need to stop the other team from scoring and these 3 have helped make that happen apart from at Swansea
Team for the Saints... on 12:17 - Feb 25 with 3117 viewsElHoop

Team for the Saints... on 12:06 - Feb 25 by daveB

I'm not sure how these 3 players will stop that happening. You also need to stop the other team from scoring and these 3 have helped make that happen apart from at Swansea

Yeah but we DON'T stop the other teams scoring when we try to attack as we seem to be too stretched, so we might as well try to attack with more attacking players and at least have a chance of getting something to hold onto. If Derry, Hill, Onouha defended really well then I'd agree but i don't think tha tthey do. Taarabt can't defend - the first goal on Saturday was down to his lack of focus and determination so we might as well get him up the park and try to do some damage up there. We need to be in their half. We won't get there with Derry and co.
Team for the Saints... on 12:41 - Feb 25 with 3089 viewsToast_R

Can we not get Diakite back in ahead of M'Bia?

I'd actually like to see Samba and M'Bia at centre back (sorry Clint) and Diakite doing some damage going forward. This time last year he came back from ACON and was sensational.
Team for the Saints... on 13:03 - Feb 25 with 3050 viewshoops_legend

Team for the Saints... on 12:41 - Feb 25 by Toast_R

Can we not get Diakite back in ahead of M'Bia?

I'd actually like to see Samba and M'Bia at centre back (sorry Clint) and Diakite doing some damage going forward. This time last year he came back from ACON and was sensational.

I say we have to get Diakete back in. Theres not much point having Derry in now.. Its a bit all or nothing with the games so we need to go for it a little bit, hope some of our luck turns and we win.

Remember while we are attacking, the other team can't score (unless Jenas is playing!)

I say we go for

Cesar
Fabio/Samba/Mbia/Traore

SWP/Diakete/Granero/Hoilett

Taarabt
Remy

Then plan B is bring on Zamora for SWP and Mackie for last 10 minutes if we need goals
Team for the Saints... on 13:10 - Feb 25 with 3028 viewsdaveB

one thing about this division is the number of goals scored on the counter attack so the more succsesful teams tend to have pace all over the team for the break and to counter any breaks against them. No matter what team we put out we won't have that pace in the team so we end up stuck between protecting the back four for a counter attack and not getting forward quickly enough to cause the other teams problems.
Team for the Saints... on 13:17 - Feb 25 with 3007 viewsElHoop

Team for the Saints... on 13:10 - Feb 25 by daveB

one thing about this division is the number of goals scored on the counter attack so the more succsesful teams tend to have pace all over the team for the break and to counter any breaks against them. No matter what team we put out we won't have that pace in the team so we end up stuck between protecting the back four for a counter attack and not getting forward quickly enough to cause the other teams problems.

True. Been the problem all season.
Team for the Saints... on 14:17 - Feb 25 with 2951 viewsPhilmyRs

Team for the Saints... on 10:50 - Feb 25 by Hunterhoop

Agree with a lot of that. Last season Adel was fantastic from the wing during our home run at the end of the season. Id have him and towsend out wide. Also think Granero is very useful in a tight 3 man midfield. I do think we would benefit from one of the midfielders being able to get in to the box, which is why an inform Samba may be worth considering as well. It's very poor how little effort is made to bust a gut to get in the box.
Team for the Saints... on 17:15 - Feb 25 with 2920 viewsMerthyrHoop

Team for me would be:

Cesar
Onuoha, Samba, Hill, Fabio
Diakite, M'Bia
Townsend, Hoilett, Taarabt
Remy

Subs: Green, Traore, Bosingwa, Granero, SWP, Mackie, Zamora

A solid defensive base when required, Onuoha can slot into a back three when we attack with Townsend and Fabio providing the width. M'Bia job to chase and tackle, Diakite providing a bit of energy box-to-box, and Taarabt and Hoilett linking up to feed Remy.

Essentially Taarabt has a free-role from the left, and Hoilett should be implored to get as close to Remy as possible when Taarabt has the ball, or Townsend and Fabio are delivering crosses from wide positions.

We have pacy creative players, and we have to win games, so lets set up to utilise them fully rather than employing the likes of Derry or five-man midfields to negate our opponents. Allow the likes of Hill, Samba, Onuoha and M'Bia to do the defending and try to create problems for other teams rather than hoping for a Samba goal from a set-piece or waiting for Taarabt to do it all on his own.

I personally don't think we will create the chances we need by selecting the likes of Derry, Mackie, Granero, Jenas or SWP. We need to identifty the strengths of our squad and really have a good go at staying up playing exciting attacking football
Team for the Saints... on 17:31 - Feb 25 with 2903 viewsJamie

Controversial opinion time, Mbia is not good enough to play CM in the PL.

Aaand, go....
Team for the Saints... on 17:41 - Feb 25 with 2884 viewsdaveB

Team for the Saints... on 17:31 - Feb 25 by Jamie

Controversial opinion time, Mbia is not good enough to play CM in the PL.

Aaand, go....

in a 4-4-2 he is a waste of space in central midfield, if we play a 3 man central midfield he can do a decent job.
Team for the Saints... on 20:25 - Feb 25 with 2831 viewsozexile

Team for the Saints... on 17:41 - Feb 25 by daveB

in a 4-4-2 he is a waste of space in central midfield, if we play a 3 man central midfield he can do a decent job.

Great posts although we are forgetting one vital thing. All the other teams in the prem know that if you harass and pressure us in any part of the field we'll give the ball away or kick it out. Hard to build attacks when 99% of our players are so uncomfortable with the ball.
Team for the Saints... on 20:37 - Feb 25 with 2819 viewsted_hendrix

Team for the Saints... on 12:05 - Feb 25 by pomanjou

Agree. The knackers yard is approaching. It pains me to say it, but Boothroyd seems a much better bet to start (There, I've said it, never thought I would ever give Boothroyd the time of day).

If when I arrive at Southampton on Saturday, park the car walk to the ground and find that Boothroyd is starting I'll probably walk straight back to the car jump in and just drive home and say bolox to It.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Team for the Saints... on 20:59 - Feb 25 with 2777 viewsQPR1882

............Cesar.............
Fabio....Samba....M'bia...Traore
........Derry....Diakite........
...Towsend...Taarabt....Granero
............Remy...........

We need play makers in midfield not wingers ( lets be fair getting down the wing and putting over a cross you don't expect Remy and Adel to get on the end of them with a crunching header )
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024