Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
phone help non QPR 14:40 - Mar 1 with 4703 viewsHarrowRoadR

I have a pay as you go phone and wanted to change to a monthly contract of just £8 as I don't use it much. After taking about an hour in the shop, I was told that I can't have a monthly contract as the credit check has been declined. I am horrified as I have no debts, nothing on HP and most of my bills are paid by direct debit. The assistant said that's probably why they wont let me have it, so what I wanted to know is this normal and what can I do about it?

No wisecracks please as I've had one hell of a morning, thanks.
phone help non QPR on 14:42 - Mar 1 with 4694 viewsJuzzie

Go to a few other shops, one of them hopefully will be able to sort you out.

phone help non QPR on 14:47 - Mar 1 with 4685 viewsHarrowRoadR

phone help non QPR on 14:42 - Mar 1 by Juzzie

Go to a few other shops, one of them hopefully will be able to sort you out.

I have been with TMobile for years and the contract was a good deal that's why I went for it, I'm fuming with them. I might just try someone else though.
phone help non QPR on 14:49 - Mar 1 with 4681 viewstoboboly

phone help non QPR on 14:47 - Mar 1 by HarrowRoadR

I have been with TMobile for years and the contract was a good deal that's why I went for it, I'm fuming with them. I might just try someone else though.

O2 do a £10 one a month if that helps?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

phone help non QPR on 14:59 - Mar 1 with 4673 viewsJuzzie

phone help non QPR on 14:47 - Mar 1 by HarrowRoadR

Absolutely. There are so many options now and you can still keep your existing number.

Shop around... go to Carphone Warehosue, Phones 4 U and so on as well as the network specific shops such as O2.

phone help non QPR on 15:07 - Mar 1 with 4665 viewsQPR_John

You really need to find out why the credit check has been declined. I am sure you have the right to ask the store that turned you down what was on it they did not like.
phone help non QPR on 15:07 - Mar 1 with 4662 viewsTacticalR

You can order a report on your credit history from a number of companies, such as Experian (cost is £2)
http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

I have a pay as you go phone with a Virgin SIM card. £7 a month covers calls, texts, automatic internet connections from gmail, google maps etc. I normally don't go over the £7.
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/paymonthlySimOnly.do

(The deal looks as though it's linked to Virgin broadband, but I don't have that, although I have had the Virgin SIM card for years).
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Air hostess clique

phone help non QPR on 15:08 - Mar 1 with 4659 viewstoboboly

phone help non QPR on 15:07 - Mar 1 by QPR_John

You really need to find out why the credit check has been declined. I am sure you have the right to ask the store that turned you down what was on it they did not like.

When I used to work for a shop and had to do interest free purchases they wouldn't tell the shop workers and often wouldn't tell the customers. We always had to tell them to ask their bank.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

phone help non QPR on 15:22 - Mar 1 with 4641 viewsHarrowRoadR

Thanks for the repiies. You're right I do need to find out as I've never owed anyone anything before. I did check out a site someone said the same thing happened to them and the girl he spoke to ended up trying to sell him a higher priced contract after just declining!

Login to get fewer ads

phone help non QPR on 15:45 - Mar 1 with 4621 viewsEastR

After years of paying over the odds on T Mobile(change the name to any of the other corporate robbers), no customer loyalty, rubbish support and ever increasing prices, I changed over to these guys:

giffgaff.com

(I'm sure I got the recommendation from another thread on here a few months ago.)

Pros
- Tariff - I started at a £15/month tariff and for the next 2 months they e mailed me recommending lower tariffs based on my usage. I'm now paying £5/month.
My allowances are - 1GB internet; 250 mins free calls; unlimited txt
Calls to other people on same network not included in allowance

- Number - you can keep your existing number

Cons

- You need your own handset. (If you want the latest 'must have' upgrade then this is not the deal for you)
- International - if you want to make international calls/send sms etc you need to top up your account; and none of your services work abroad (but thats fine because you're saving a fortune on roaming charges, and if you really do need a phone abroad get a local SIM)
- there's no customer service to ring. Any problems you deal with by their site FAQs and e mail. (I think I e mailed them once in the first week I had the phone and that problem was caused by an outage on the O2 network that they piggyback)

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

phone help non QPR on 16:06 - Mar 1 with 4600 viewscalders

I would certainly try and find out why you have been turned down before you are credit checked again, repeatedly being turned down in a short amount of time will seriously damages your credit rating further.
phone help non QPR on 16:07 - Mar 1 with 4600 views1MoreBrightonR

giff gaff all the way...no commitment and better than a monthly contract in terms of minutes and texts
phone help non QPR on 16:15 - Mar 1 with 4586 viewsrobith

Also something else to factor into consideration - if you've never had loans, credit cards etc then you might not have a credit rating as you've not demonstrated your ability to pay back debt (as you've not had any)

Someone else which stung me once - if you're not on the electoral register or have moved recently it can bodge your score
phone help non QPR on 16:46 - Mar 1 with 4571 viewsMatch82

phone help non QPR on 16:07 - Mar 1 by 1MoreBrightonR

giff gaff all the way...no commitment and better than a monthly contract in terms of minutes and texts

The amount of junk emails I get from them I couldn't give a rats ar*e how good they are, no way I'd ever consider using them.

At least two a day, always from a slightly different email address & domain so it can't be blocked. Perhaps it's my fault for still using hotmail.

On the subject of the OP, I sympathize, I tried to get a mortgage in the US and was told I couldn't do so because I didn't have a credit rating - like the OP I'd always used Debit cards and never been in debt. So I went to apply for a credit card and got turned down because, you guessed it, I didn't have a credit rating.

Finally had to go to the people I banked with and beg, got one with unbelievably high penalty fees (which didn't matter because I was literally just using it to get a credit rating, so after every purchase went straight online and paid it off.

That's the only thing I can suggest - if you pay credit cards off instantly (or even once a month, assuming you pay the whole thing in bulk) I would guess that your credit history would build pretty quick and you wouldn't have any interest/penalty fees.

Disclaimer: I'm not actually an expert on this stuff and it may work differently in the UK, I'm sure we have professionals on here who know a lot more than I do
phone help non QPR on 20:33 - Mar 1 with 4535 viewsHarrowRoadR

phone help non QPR on 16:15 - Mar 1 by robith

Also something else to factor into consideration - if you've never had loans, credit cards etc then you might not have a credit rating as you've not demonstrated your ability to pay back debt (as you've not had any)

Someone else which stung me once - if you're not on the electoral register or have moved recently it can bodge your score

I've had loans etc in the past but not now and I have Orange broadband. It just doesn't make sense, I've lived in this house nearly 19 years and I am on the electoral register. My son has a contract with TMobile for the same address, I didn't tell them that. As I said before my bills are nearly all direct debit plus my credit card so I really can't see what the problem is.

I will look into people's suggestions, thanks.
phone help non QPR on 20:53 - Mar 1 with 4520 viewsloftboy

Tesco do a sim only, tenner a month for 500 minutes, texts and Internet, bung another sim on as part if a family plan and you get 150 extra minutes on top each, got myself and 3 kids on the same contract but each have our own plans for less than I was paying orange for 1 plan, ( had to pay orange 20 quid to unlock my iPhone from their network which took 20 days)

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

phone help non QPR on 21:50 - Mar 1 with 4506 viewsCamberleyR

I've had the same experience as the OP in being recently turned down by a credit check for some interest free finance for a couple of thousand pounds on some new carpets and flooring when I recently moved into my new house.

Like the OP I've never been in debt (apart from a mortgage)and all my bills are paid by DD. In fact my mortgage had just been increased when it was turned down. I was bloody fuming about it although it wasn't the shop's fault as they used a third party finance company. When I spoke to the finance company they wouldn't give me a reason over the phone and said I had to apply in writing if I wanted to know why

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024