Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please 13:32 - Apr 12 with 7473 viewsBlackCrowe

Background
I parked on a side road. Put the money in Pay and display machine. Pressed green button, no ticket came out. Left a note in the windscreen, explaining situation, went to daughters birthday party.
Returned to car 10 minutes later to see warden slapping ticket on my windscreen.
Explained situation and asked him had he not seen my notice. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away.
Returned to get something out of my car 20 minutes later, to see warden stood by ticket machine surrounded by 4 other people who had put money into the machine and not received ticket. Saw warden with a ticket in his hand. I asked him I could see that ticket and he put it behind his back. I snatched out of his hand and sure enough it was my ticket (right amount and right time displayed) that had never come, that he had obviously got out of the machine somehow. He demanded it back and I said no. He called me 'a bloody b*stard'.

Wrote to council and told them all of the above, enclosing a photo copy of my pay and display ticket . Got a reply yesterda saying that they had received no complaints about the machine being faulty and that I should've phoned the telephone on the side of the ticket machine to report it faulty as that would have corroborated my story. I did not display a ticket and therefore the fine must stand. 60 quid, doubled if not paid in 14 days.

I wish I'd taken the names of the other people around the other machine but I didn't. Desperately want to contest this - do I have a fair chance of overturning it?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:01 - Apr 12 with 1355 viewsBasingstokeR

Time is the thing, all my tickets I've appealed have been from following the R's.

First thing to do is get your camera phone out and photograph everything you can from signage to the car in the space and where the ticket was affixed, to the meter/machine and scanning your PCN front and back to JPEG.

Get a letter into the system they have, minimally you're extending your 14 days until 14 days from the date on the reply you get, the council have to be squeaky clean and almost literally not forget any dotted i's or lower case j's, it can be a minefield for them. Technicalities can be found, and if your in the wrong clearly but they don't follow process in your appeal you can still get your money back. As clearly if they make mistakes, then you can too lol!

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:04 - Apr 12 with 1355 viewsqueensparker

This boils my piss.

I live in Kensal Green in a terraced street that, at its very busiest, is half empty. All the houses / flats are pretty small, there's nobody round here with more than one motor, and there's no reason to park in the street at all unless you live here, it's in the middle of nowhere. It's all resident parking though, with a £55 parking ticket if you haven't got a permit.

The pointless restrictions run from 8.30-5.30. And every single morning at 8.35, without fail, 5-10 wardens swarm the streets slapping tickets on anything they can find.

Over the Easter bank holiday when most people understandably thought they didn't apply (there's nothing about it on any of the signs), they doubled the shift, descended en masse, and absolutely cleaned up. At one point my mate came round to drop off his kids on Good Friday lunchtime for 10 minutes at the most, and a warden ON A F--KING MOPED drove up the pavement, slapped a ticket on and roared off. To be fair my neighbour tried to stop him but he wasn't having it.

I use a few different cars through work so I can't get a permit for them all and the second I forget to put a temporary pass on (at £50 a pop for a book) I get a f--king ticket.

If you do forget and leave for the day, they'll tow it by lunchtime and you'll have to head to Wembley and pay some complete c**t £250 to get your car back for the privilege of parking outside your own house.

Oh and they've just changed the hours on the place where you pick up permits, so it's only open 9.30 - 5 weekdays and shut weekends. So every time you need some you have to take time off work.

Some of the wardens are OK and listen to reason, but most of them can't speak English and are clearly on a target for the day - a couple of times I've had to appeal tickets against a valid pass because I circled the date with a pen instead of scratching it off (because they're so shittily made you can't actually scratch the bloody things off). I won them but only after a load of hassle.

It's money raising pure and simple round my way. We don't even need the f--king restrictions in the first place.

C--ts.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:05 - Apr 12 with 1352 viewsBasingstokeR

Double post
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:19 - Apr 12 with 1338 viewsRangersAreBack

I had a similar situation though in my case I did telephone the number on the machine but they still fined me anyway for not displaying and refused to cancel the PCN. When I asked for the photographs I noticed that they didn't photograph all 4 sides of the car. The law doesn't insist the ticket is displayed on the windscreen so I claimed that it was displayed on the rear side window. PCN instantly quashed.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:32 - Apr 12 with 1330 viewswindsorhoop

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 16:53 - Apr 12 by A40Bosh

I did read his story through a couple of times, but my wife had a similar (ish) incident where the warden said there was nothing wrong with the machine and accused her of lying. We persisted with our innocence and that my wife had put money in the machine but it had only printed a 30mins ticket. She also put more money in in front of him and the same thing happened but he just shrugged and walked off saying the ticket had been given.

They let her off when we contested it a third time. Sometimes it pays to be persistent, but it is whether it is worth the time and effort and if they cave in.

But as I said, that is me and my hatred of parking wardens!!!

I can see why you have a hatred!!!
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:34 - Apr 12 with 1329 viewsA40Bosh

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:04 - Apr 12 by queensparker

This boils my piss.

I live in Kensal Green in a terraced street that, at its very busiest, is half empty. All the houses / flats are pretty small, there's nobody round here with more than one motor, and there's no reason to park in the street at all unless you live here, it's in the middle of nowhere. It's all resident parking though, with a £55 parking ticket if you haven't got a permit.

The pointless restrictions run from 8.30-5.30. And every single morning at 8.35, without fail, 5-10 wardens swarm the streets slapping tickets on anything they can find.

Over the Easter bank holiday when most people understandably thought they didn't apply (there's nothing about it on any of the signs), they doubled the shift, descended en masse, and absolutely cleaned up. At one point my mate came round to drop off his kids on Good Friday lunchtime for 10 minutes at the most, and a warden ON A F--KING MOPED drove up the pavement, slapped a ticket on and roared off. To be fair my neighbour tried to stop him but he wasn't having it.

I use a few different cars through work so I can't get a permit for them all and the second I forget to put a temporary pass on (at £50 a pop for a book) I get a f--king ticket.

If you do forget and leave for the day, they'll tow it by lunchtime and you'll have to head to Wembley and pay some complete c**t £250 to get your car back for the privilege of parking outside your own house.

Oh and they've just changed the hours on the place where you pick up permits, so it's only open 9.30 - 5 weekdays and shut weekends. So every time you need some you have to take time off work.

Some of the wardens are OK and listen to reason, but most of them can't speak English and are clearly on a target for the day - a couple of times I've had to appeal tickets against a valid pass because I circled the date with a pen instead of scratching it off (because they're so shittily made you can't actually scratch the bloody things off). I won them but only after a load of hassle.

It's money raising pure and simple round my way. We don't even need the f--king restrictions in the first place.

C--ts.

At last, a fellow sufferer

Buddy, I feel your pain.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 17:38 - Apr 12 with 1326 viewswindsorhoop

To everyone on here. The one thing I have learnt working in my job is too copy in your MP on everything even if you are clearly wrong. Most MPs are so shit scared of getting negative press they generally get involved.

Although this generally only works with back benchers. If your MP is in either cabinet then you wont even get a response.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 18:07 - Apr 12 with 1312 viewsJuzzie

Stumbled across this today which further illustrates they're all just about money gathering, nothing to do with safety, traffic flow, congestion etc etc.

This is England’s shortest double yellow line,... 13 inches. Park on it and that's £70 for Cambridge Council. The markings don't even look professionally done. I bet they move them once cars are parked, slap a ticket on and take a photo!

And this is the shortest cycle lane, in Cardiff. Why?... please just why??

Login to get fewer ads

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 18:15 - Apr 12 with 1306 viewsJuzzie

queensparker... Good Friday is classed as a Bank Holiday. I'm pretty certain only the Saturday is normal. Friday, Sunday (possibly) & Monday are classed as holidays.

I went through the congestion charge zone on Good Friday and when I got home that evening I doubled checked on their website and they said it was and the charge didn't apply.

It might be worth checking what the Bank Holiday situation is in your road.

I bet they're hoping that most people won't be sure and just pay up.

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 18:33 - Apr 12 with 1300 viewswood_hoop

One of the hazards of being in the logistics business is parking tickets, so have had plenty of crap over the years, and just how unmoveable they sometimes are.

One thing I have used to appeal non show of tickets is to ask for the 'calibration reports' & service reports of the machine for the last 12 months I tell them I will take as far as possible and expect reports to be produced, won a few appeals over the years like this, amazing if they have to put in a bit of effort to win how quickly some will drop the case.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 20:50 - Apr 12 with 1278 viewsTGRRRSSS

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 14:40 - Apr 12 by WestbourneR

There is keeping the roads in sensible order etc. which is a necessary evil I agree.

Then there is having a large army of wardens doing round the clock patrols and sweeping down every street every 10 minutes. It's clearly a revenue raising scheme.

And anyway places where it's clearly obstructive to park are marked with double yellow or yellow lines.

What does staying 5 mins over your paid and displayed time in a bay have to do with keeping the roads clear? They are like flies on sh*t and will do anything to entrap you.

This

2 weeks ago I put money in for a machine lost the money then walked down the street to pay more money for a ticket - anyone notice these machines "take" cash but don't give.
Saw a Traffic warden between walking from the broken machine - which had I understand from the person I was seeing who lived in the road been broken for several days - andgetting to another machine that was working.
So I asked him about the broken machine, naturally he claimed ignorance, to which I said he never showed ignorance to a car wwithout a ticket and frankly as this was part of his area it ought be his duty to ensure the relevent authorities put signs up in such a situation.
I daresay it could be a way to make a few quid by a machine "breaking down" money being swallowed as it's often not worth the hassle then either ticketing as happened to Blackcrowe or you going elsewhere to buy another ticket.
I agree with what windsor hoop says but also think the cioncern is less for the local residents and more for revenue raising.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 20:57 - Apr 12 with 1275 viewsCanadaRanger

Surely, the bottom line (and this is it for now) is that you paid.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 00:53 - Apr 13 with 1254 viewsqueensparker

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 18:15 - Apr 12 by Juzzie

queensparker... Good Friday is classed as a Bank Holiday. I'm pretty certain only the Saturday is normal. Friday, Sunday (possibly) & Monday are classed as holidays.

I went through the congestion charge zone on Good Friday and when I got home that evening I doubled checked on their website and they said it was and the charge didn't apply.

It might be worth checking what the Bank Holiday situation is in your road.

I bet they're hoping that most people won't be sure and just pay up.

Cheers Juzzie - unfortunately there's the spirit of the law and the letter of the law and once you dig down into Brent Council bye-laws you find out that parking restrictions still apply on a Bank Holiday in my road. Why, God only knows.

Still, according to the law, someone parking up for 10 mins on a totally deserted, residential street at lunchtime on a public holiday to visit his mate is worthy of a £55 fine handed out by a helmeted council operative on a moped, driving down a pavement and making his escape after dodging a load of irate neighbours. There's nothing you can do about it, as by the law of the land he was still parking in a resident's space unlawfully.

I know people who are working for the council and to be honest I can see why they're trying to get money in any way they can, but the way they go about it round here is a f--king disgrace.

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 01:15 - Apr 13 with 1251 viewshamptonhillhoop

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 16:39 - Apr 12 by TearsOfaClown

go to the local newspaper - offer to pose for photo with ticket and daughter holding party balloon.

The council hate publicity.

I like that. Make sure she looks sad, possibly crying
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 01:17 - Apr 13 with 1248 viewsTacticalR

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 01:15 - Apr 13 by hamptonhillhoop

I like that. Make sure she looks sad, possibly crying

Council in child abuse shocker.

Air hostess clique

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 01:38 - Apr 13 with 1179 viewsBrightonhoop

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 01:17 - Apr 13 by TacticalR

Council in child abuse shocker.

Fascinating thread. Operate from a basis that they are scum. Well worth fighting outcomes usually positive.
How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 02:01 - Apr 13 with 1174 viewskensalriser

queensparker, this is what you have to do if you want to change it.

CPZs can only be installed if residents vote for them. Obviously, most councils are very keen on them and have a number of strategies to get residents to play into their hands, but the fact remains that statutorily the councils needs resident support. The converse is also true - residents can petition the council for a vote to remove a CPZ. There is no way you'll succeed in getting rid of it because once CPZs cover an area entirely, unrestricting just a few roads will cause problems. But what you can do is limit the hours of operation.

This is what we did in my area, which is probably half a mile from you. The first time they came, we defeated them. It took quite a lot of work and organisation but it was worth it to temporarily take the smiles off their smug faces and screw up their rollout. They came back of course, because they knew that once they got the surrounding areas restricted enough spillover problems would be caused in our area to change minds. This is where we got creative. The then problems were vehicles being stored long term on the street by non-residents, dumped vehicles and commuters. The council always pushes for maximum hours, usually 8.30 to 6.30. Our argument was you don't need an all day restriction to solve the problems you say residents are complaining of, you only need one hour in the middle of the day. After an argument we got them to to include a choice on the vote - all day, or 12-3. We got 12-3. It can be done, but you'll need enough neighbours who care enough to join you. Once you have them you'll find most people will agree that shorter hours are better, always excepting the few idiots who think that if they have to pay for a permit they're getting better value if the hours of restriction are longer!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 12:20 - Apr 13 with 1147 viewsBushman

Fact it they were introduced to keep traffic moving,now just revenue raisers for local councils

Have you ever seen one directing traffic,they don't know how to!

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 12:21 - Apr 13 with 1147 viewsqprichard

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Would be well worth going on here for some informed advise.

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 13:33 - Apr 13 with 1132 viewsqueensparker

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 02:01 - Apr 13 by kensalriser

queensparker, this is what you have to do if you want to change it.

CPZs can only be installed if residents vote for them. Obviously, most councils are very keen on them and have a number of strategies to get residents to play into their hands, but the fact remains that statutorily the councils needs resident support. The converse is also true - residents can petition the council for a vote to remove a CPZ. There is no way you'll succeed in getting rid of it because once CPZs cover an area entirely, unrestricting just a few roads will cause problems. But what you can do is limit the hours of operation.

This is what we did in my area, which is probably half a mile from you. The first time they came, we defeated them. It took quite a lot of work and organisation but it was worth it to temporarily take the smiles off their smug faces and screw up their rollout. They came back of course, because they knew that once they got the surrounding areas restricted enough spillover problems would be caused in our area to change minds. This is where we got creative. The then problems were vehicles being stored long term on the street by non-residents, dumped vehicles and commuters. The council always pushes for maximum hours, usually 8.30 to 6.30. Our argument was you don't need an all day restriction to solve the problems you say residents are complaining of, you only need one hour in the middle of the day. After an argument we got them to to include a choice on the vote - all day, or 12-3. We got 12-3. It can be done, but you'll need enough neighbours who care enough to join you. Once you have them you'll find most people will agree that shorter hours are better, always excepting the few idiots who think that if they have to pay for a permit they're getting better value if the hours of restriction are longer!

Thanks mate - will look into that (although I don't hold out much hope). Quite a few people on the street that I reckon would back it

How far to push parking ticket appeal - advice/opinions please on 14:55 - Apr 13 with 1108 viewscollegeranger

Spot on - The Liberals in London Borough of Richmond for years constantly sent letters/notes through and asking me and my neighbours to vote for CPZ as we are near the Rugby ground we keep voting no. They kept saying go CPZ it won't cost you as its only for match days. I then heard from someone I know who works in the council was that once they had CPZ for match days that they would extend Mon-Fri and match days!! Rally round the neighbours and mount a challenge on CPZ and they will have to remove it. Only issue is that folks near you that do still have CPZ will then park in your road to save the £200 a year or whatever they charge.

Luckily the Tories have got the council now and kicked the little LibDem weasels out round here so the parking issue has gone away, but still have to put up with Karl Marx of Twickenham as the MP!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024