Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game of Thrones 03:20 - Jun 4 with 16699 viewsKiwi76

Better than The Wire?

One episode to go in Series 3 and not looking to drop spoilers that was some penultimate...
Few on here watching judging by other thread - thoughts?
Game of Thrones on 06:40 - Jun 4 with 5993 viewsRanger78

I love it's a great programme .

You're right about last nights episode. I sat in silence for a minute or so after it finished. Just did not see that coming
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Game of Thrones on 07:47 - Jun 4 with 5957 viewsBluce_Ree

Yeah that was quite something. No music on the credits either. Pure 'shut up and think about what you just saw.'

The Wire was great but there are better shows, this one included. Also, The Wire got worse with each season where as this has been pretty solid.

That said, the pacing is awful. There are stories that just aren't getting any due right now. Why haven't we seen the female knight storyline at all in the last two episodes?

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Game of Thrones on 08:08 - Jun 4 with 5938 viewsBasingstokeR

Game of Thrones on 07:47 - Jun 4 by Bluce_Ree

Yeah that was quite something. No music on the credits either. Pure 'shut up and think about what you just saw.'

The Wire was great but there are better shows, this one included. Also, The Wire got worse with each season where as this has been pretty solid.

That said, the pacing is awful. There are stories that just aren't getting any due right now. Why haven't we seen the female knight storyline at all in the last two episodes?

I thought Season 4 of the Wire is generally considered the best? I don't think they got worse. Might try this Game of Thrones though.
Game of Thrones on 08:45 - Jun 4 with 5896 viewsWokingR

Shhh!

Don't give anything away.
Toboboly recommended the books last week on the "summer reads" thread and I haven't been able to put them down since.
Game of Thrones on 08:51 - Jun 4 with 5893 viewsRs_Holy

My Word! (copyright Raymond Wilkins)... Its kicking off big time!

For me its the best TV programme ever... Bold statement I know but its packed with incredibly complex characters, plus its totally unpredictable, plus the cinamatography and sets are simply stunning... It is epic and I just hope they keep it going for the full 10 series.
Game of Thrones on 09:20 - Jun 4 with 5864 viewstoboboly

So good. So, so good.

Better than the Wire? Only one way to find out......FIGHT

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Game of Thrones on 09:43 - Jun 4 with 5840 viewsMetallica_Hoop

He better hurry up and finish the series, I've been reading them since 1996 and I think I've waited long enough!!!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Game of Thrones on 09:46 - Jun 4 with 5836 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Saw it twice at work and then a third time when I got home (the Mrs loves it but insists on me watching it with her to explain some of the intricacies of the story line and who's who)

All three times I watched it I was mesmerised by how truly epic this series is. Nothing comes close to it. Nothing. And I love the Wire.
Login to get fewer ads

Game of Thrones on 10:03 - Jun 4 with 5818 viewsgordanoR

Game of Thrones on 09:43 - Jun 4 by Metallica_Hoop

He better hurry up and finish the series, I've been reading them since 1996 and I think I've waited long enough!!!

The books are dragging on a bit now aren't they? I got he impression that once HBO had picked up the series he's deliberately dragged them out. What's the point of introducing a book with completely new characters ?
Game of Thrones on 10:09 - Jun 4 with 5811 viewsBluce_Ree

Game of Thrones on 08:08 - Jun 4 by BasingstokeR

I thought Season 4 of the Wire is generally considered the best? I don't think they got worse. Might try this Game of Thrones though.

I can't see that at all. The kids/high school thing was rubbish. Snoop and Partlow were ace.

Thrones is ace but I'd say that Boardwalk Empire is the better show. I would have said the same after s4 of Breaking Bad but s5 wasn't that good.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Game of Thrones on 10:11 - Jun 4 with 5809 viewsTheBlob

It's only a tv show ffs.
It ain't real.
Get a life.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Game of Thrones on 10:22 - Jun 4 with 5796 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Game of Thrones on 10:03 - Jun 4 by gordanoR

The books are dragging on a bit now aren't they? I got he impression that once HBO had picked up the series he's deliberately dragged them out. What's the point of introducing a book with completely new characters ?

He started off well one every two years but I didn't think I'd have to wait 6 f'kin years for the new one after 'FoC' I had to re-read the series twice in the meantime.

Cone on George sort it out! Look what happened to Jordan (author not the ugly plastic thing)

Game of Thrones on 10:49 - Jun 4 with 5757 viewstoboboly

Game of Thrones on 10:09 - Jun 4 by Bluce_Ree

I can't see that at all. The kids/high school thing was rubbish. Snoop and Partlow were ace.

Thrones is ace but I'd say that Boardwalk Empire is the better show. I would have said the same after s4 of Breaking Bad but s5 wasn't that good.

Series One of the Wire was the best surely? McNulty and Bunk are godlike.

Check out Generation Kill as well if you like the Wire. Mini series about the Iraq war.

Game of Thrones on 11:21 - Jun 4 with 5732 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Game of Thrones on 10:09 - Jun 4 by Bluce_Ree

4 was my favourite by far. Didn't enjoy 5 though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Game of Thrones on 11:31 - Jun 4 with 5717 viewsdanehoop

Game of Thrones on 10:22 - Jun 4 by Metallica_Hoop

He started off well one every two years but I didn't think I'd have to wait 6 f'kin years for the new one after 'FoC' I had to re-read the series twice in the meantime.

Cone on George sort it out! Look what happened to Jordan (author not the ugly plastic thing)

Ahh, Metallica, Robert Jordan Wheel of Time, started off so well and then I just gave up at Book 8 or 9 as it started tailing off to being so weak.

Never knowingly understood

Game of Thrones on 11:37 - Jun 4 with 5704 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

I'm finally getting my teeth into Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen... much recommended, especially by Talli
Game of Thrones on 11:37 - Jun 4 with 5703 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Game of Thrones on 11:31 - Jun 4 by danehoop

Ahh, Metallica, Robert Jordan Wheel of Time, started off so well and then I just gave up at Book 8 or 9 as it started tailing off to being so weak.

I did more or less the same, I was getting bored with it them someone bought me 'The Path of Daggers' as a present and I I just lost all interest. Shame as books 1-5 were brilliant.

Steven Erikson 'Malazan Books of the fallen' are the only really big series I've enjoyed until the end and GofT (if it ever ends)

Sven Hassel doesn't really count

Game of Thrones on 11:39 - Jun 4 with 5699 viewstoboboly

Game of Thrones on 11:31 - Jun 4 by danehoop

Are these books decently written? And by that I mean not like Tolkein, a lot of his stuff bores the fcuk out of me with his random made up words etc (the entire Tom Bombadill chapter in Lord of the Rings was a waste of time) rather than the Game of Thrones series which is easy to read?

If the latter then I may try them.

Game of Thrones on 11:43 - Jun 4 with 5691 viewsBasingstokeR

Game of Thrones on 11:21 - Jun 4 by BrianMcCarthy

4 was my favourite by far. Didn't enjoy 5 though.

See I thought the school and school age kid perspective element was what made that series brilliant.

I think my personal order is 4,2,1/3,5.

Anyway, back to thread topic - if I start watching this thing, am I going to have to suspend disbelief at all and to what degree? e.g. I'm thinking this might have things like magic and dragons in?
Game of Thrones on 11:43 - Jun 4 with 5691 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Game of Thrones on 11:39 - Jun 4 by toboboly

Are these books decently written? And by that I mean not like Tolkein, a lot of his stuff bores the fcuk out of me with his random made up words etc (the entire Tom Bombadill chapter in Lord of the Rings was a waste of time) rather than the Game of Thrones series which is easy to read?

If the latter then I may try them.

I'd read Erikson instead, (if you haven't) he will make you laugh out loud in many places as well as make you think you are there.

'Deadhouse Gates' the second is one of the finest military history novels ever written in my opinion and it is fantasy!

However the scope is much bigger than GofT

Game of Thrones on 11:50 - Jun 4 with 5683 viewstraininvain

Sopranos is the undisputed greatest tv series of all time.

Been meaning to give Game of Thrones a go but a bit concerned that it might be too 'sci-fi' for me...
Game of Thrones on 11:54 - Jun 4 with 5681 viewstoboboly

Game of Thrones on 11:43 - Jun 4 by BasingstokeR

See I thought the school and school age kid perspective element was what made that series brilliant.

I think my personal order is 4,2,1/3,5.

Anyway, back to thread topic - if I start watching this thing, am I going to have to suspend disbelief at all and to what degree? e.g. I'm thinking this might have things like magic and dragons in?

Very little magic in 1 and 2 which is good. However although more is coming it is better than LOTR style imo.

Game of Thrones on 11:55 - Jun 4 with 5680 viewstoboboly

Game of Thrones on 11:43 - Jun 4 by Metallica_Hoop

I'd read Erikson instead, (if you haven't) he will make you laugh out loud in many places as well as make you think you are there.

'Deadhouse Gates' the second is one of the finest military history novels ever written in my opinion and it is fantasy!

However the scope is much bigger than GofT

Once I've finished GoT I will give them a try. Cheers 'Talli.

Game of Thrones on 12:05 - Jun 4 with 5670 viewsBasingstokeR

Game of Thrones on 11:50 - Jun 4 by traininvain

Sopranos is the undisputed greatest tv series of all time.

Been meaning to give Game of Thrones a go but a bit concerned that it might be too 'sci-fi' for me...

I would dispute that
Game of Thrones on 12:34 - Jun 4 with 5634 viewsdanehoop

So much of decent stuff in that genre it's almost overwhelming now.

Raymond Feist did some pretty good work through his Magician series which then had three pretty good subsequent series . But he seemed to go through a dip in form until his latest books seem to be getting better again.

Legend by David Gemmell (RIP) was absolute class. Druss is just a fantastic character and I can easily read most of his books from cover to cover.
Joe Abercrombie's books are pretty good if you want a bit of uncomfortable realism in set piece battles, perhaps more like Armstrong's work in that respect I think.

Main recent recommendations are from slightly different urban fantasy genre.
Best things I have read in years is the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Brilliantly written, set in Chicago, great action and good humour. Each book builds strongly upon the series, can't recommend them enough.

Kate Griffin's Midnight Mayor book’s are also pretty good and do a nice job of using modern London as a back-drop. Really well written and well paced.

Stephen Green's Nightside books are also quite a good read, again using a dark side of London as back-drop. Bit like Neverwhere concept (the book is far superior to the BBC TV series) but with more a twist.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024