Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O'Driscoll 10:13 - Nov 28 with 3613 viewssimmo

Leaves Bristol City.

No idea what happened to him, at Donny he looked one of the leagues best managers and had them punching above their weight, since then he has been from club to club and really struggled... 3 clubs in 2 years (although Crawley may not count).

I would have had him down LR not long ago...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

O'Driscoll on 10:50 - Nov 28 with 3551 viewsNorthernr

Great job at Doncaster and Bournemouth, harshly done to at Forest.
Right miserable fcker though.
Bristol City is a bloody nightmare job.
O'Driscoll on 11:09 - Nov 28 with 3508 viewsreal_loftus

Wonder if Brizzle City have launched their Relegation Calculator?

ATAF.

O'Driscoll on 12:35 - Nov 28 with 3429 viewsGloucs_R

Brizzle announced plans to develop Ashton Gate last night too. 27k, 4 new stands replaicng what they have. Bristol rugby to play there too. Looks good.

That comes after Rovers getting the nod for a new ground and even Bath rugby.

Where is our new stadium I wonder? :-)

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

O'Driscoll on 12:48 - Nov 28 with 3404 viewsOutWestR

I don't think any of those three have actually been approved though. City and Bath have unveiled plans but as far as I know they're both subject to council approval. The Rovers application has been challenged by the Green Party and has ground to a halt. Be at least another 3-4 years before building work starts on any of these three I should think.
O'Driscoll on 13:43 - Nov 28 with 3341 viewsTacticalR

O'Driscoll is a strange character.

I agree with his point that football is about making the right choices, and it's easier to teach someone to pass than it is to teach someone to make the right choices:

'We never do passing drills in training. We try to give people options on the ball and the thing I’m trying to coach is for the player to pick the right option, which is what the better players do. I get scouting reports which say ‘he gives the ball away too much’ but I’m trying to train the scouts to ask ‘was it the right ball to play?’ Football’s about giving the ball away — but was it the right pass at the right time? Sometimes I’m more concerned about that than I am about whether or not he completed the pass. I can’t buy someone for a million quid but I want to get someone in who can see options and can take the right one. I’m in a market where I can afford a player because he’s cheap but I have to know that I can develop him because he has the raw materials I can work with. Right pass, right time — that’s two out of three and I can work on the rest.’
http://www.goalfood.com/fanzine/interviews/june-2009-sean-odriscoll-interview3.h

On the other hand he gave an interview where he claimed not to know where Bristol City were in the table. He seems to be the ultimate manager into improving things in the long term, but it's hard to believe anyone could be that completely detached from everyday realities.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2013 13:44]

Air hostess clique

O'Driscoll on 13:51 - Nov 28 with 3322 viewsGloucs_R

O'Driscoll on 12:48 - Nov 28 by OutWestR

I don't think any of those three have actually been approved though. City and Bath have unveiled plans but as far as I know they're both subject to council approval. The Rovers application has been challenged by the Green Party and has ground to a halt. Be at least another 3-4 years before building work starts on any of these three I should think.

City was approved last night.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

O'Driscoll on 15:23 - Nov 28 with 3262 viewsrsonist

O'Driscoll on 10:50 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Great job at Doncaster and Bournemouth, harshly done to at Forest.
Right miserable fcker though.
Bristol City is a bloody nightmare job.

Always thought it was a shame he and Steve Coppell didn't have longer together at Crawley, great comedy duo they'd make.
O'Driscoll on 20:34 - Jul 4 with 2924 viewsTacticalR

Liverpool name Sean O’Driscoll as new assistant manager

Brendan Rodgers a long-time admirer of England Under-19 manager
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/29/liverpool-sean-odriscoll-assista

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

O'Driscoll on 09:44 - Jul 5 with 2586 viewsJonDoeman

O'Driscoll on 20:34 - Jul 4 by TacticalR

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/29/liverpool-sean-odriscoll-assista

No job security there, I'll bet Brendan gets the chop this season .

It Is What It Is !!

O'Driscoll on 10:00 - Jul 5 with 2536 viewsLblock

O'Driscoll on 20:34 - Jul 4 by TacticalR

After reading that interview snippet above I'd say him and Brendan the Great Philospher are well suited

I am however more concerned about our "manager" and his approach this coming season
Hold on tight....the louder you scream the faster we go!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

O'Driscoll on 00:18 - Jul 7 with 2241 viewsTacticalR

Another interesting answer from O'Driscoll when he was manager at Bristol City...

In interviews you’ve spoken about wanting "thinking" players and ones with the right "character". Could you expand a little on what you meant?

'I’ve probably touched on this in the previous answer but I want to develop players and a team who understand what is being asked of them, and therefore can make their own decisions on the field of play; players who are prepared to take responsibility for the decisions they make. As I said before, we will never have a go at a player for trying something and it not coming off if it was the right thing to do at that time. If it was stupid, irresponsible and careless they won’t be afforded the same grace!

The more times you can create environments in training where people can take responsibility, the better the team will be. People who get that concept fly very quickly, and although they may not always be the most talented boy, they are your glue, the unsung heroes in a team.

In any walk of life you want characters around you that you can trust, even down to the most basic things like punctuality. Why should footballers be any different? It’s just basic professionalism.'

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/online-exclusive-interview-with-sean.h

Air hostess clique

O'Driscoll on 11:36 - Jul 7 with 2029 viewsonlyrinmoray

O'Driscoll on 00:18 - Jul 7 by TacticalR

Another interesting answer from O'Driscoll when he was manager at Bristol City...

In interviews you’ve spoken about wanting "thinking" players and ones with the right "character". Could you expand a little on what you meant?

'I’ve probably touched on this in the previous answer but I want to develop players and a team who understand what is being asked of them, and therefore can make their own decisions on the field of play; players who are prepared to take responsibility for the decisions they make. As I said before, we will never have a go at a player for trying something and it not coming off if it was the right thing to do at that time. If it was stupid, irresponsible and careless they won’t be afforded the same grace!

The more times you can create environments in training where people can take responsibility, the better the team will be. People who get that concept fly very quickly, and although they may not always be the most talented boy, they are your glue, the unsung heroes in a team.

In any walk of life you want characters around you that you can trust, even down to the most basic things like punctuality. Why should footballers be any different? It’s just basic professionalism.'

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/online-exclusive-interview-with-sean.h

Cant fault that agree with every word. Agree he comes across as a miserable bgger though but speaks sense to me
Best of luck with wee Raheem though
O'Driscoll on 13:01 - Jul 7 with 1964 viewsTacticalR

O'Driscoll on 11:36 - Jul 7 by onlyrinmoray

Cant fault that agree with every word. Agree he comes across as a miserable bgger though but speaks sense to me
Best of luck with wee Raheem though

If I understand him correctly he is saying that the more the players have a clear understanding from the coach of what they are supposed to be doing, the better the individual decisions they will make on the ball.

This is why I have completely lost patience with brainless players who may well be very skillful, but whose sole ideas is just to run toward the goal with their head down until the ball gets taken off them (or until they get a goal if they get lucky).

Air hostess clique

O'Driscoll on 14:16 - Jul 7 with 1912 viewsQPR_Jim

O'Driscoll on 13:01 - Jul 7 by TacticalR

If I understand him correctly he is saying that the more the players have a clear understanding from the coach of what they are supposed to be doing, the better the individual decisions they will make on the ball.

This is why I have completely lost patience with brainless players who may well be very skillful, but whose sole ideas is just to run toward the goal with their head down until the ball gets taken off them (or until they get a goal if they get lucky).

That's what I took it to mean. If you was to take the example of a winger which has the choice between cutting inside or going down the wing, they want him to choose the right option. His crossing, passing and shooting could be poor and lose possession anyway but they can coach him to improve those aspect, it's harder to train them to make the right choice. Seems fair enough however my initial thought was that the right choice in some cases may be subjective and could cause conflict if the player doesn't think he's made the wrong choice even after reviewing the footage.
O'Driscoll on 14:44 - Jul 7 with 1872 viewsTacticalR

O'Driscoll on 14:16 - Jul 7 by QPR_Jim

That's what I took it to mean. If you was to take the example of a winger which has the choice between cutting inside or going down the wing, they want him to choose the right option. His crossing, passing and shooting could be poor and lose possession anyway but they can coach him to improve those aspect, it's harder to train them to make the right choice. Seems fair enough however my initial thought was that the right choice in some cases may be subjective and could cause conflict if the player doesn't think he's made the wrong choice even after reviewing the footage.

I am not sure there is an absolutely right choice. I don't think O'Driscoll is talking about Mourinho-style control freakery. If I understand him correctly I think he is staying that the more the player understands the game plan, the more freedom they can have at the individual level to choose how the plan is actually carried out.

Air hostess clique

O'Driscoll on 16:42 - Jul 7 with 1804 viewsrobith

O'Driscoll on 14:44 - Jul 7 by TacticalR

I am not sure there is an absolutely right choice. I don't think O'Driscoll is talking about Mourinho-style control freakery. If I understand him correctly I think he is staying that the more the player understands the game plan, the more freedom they can have at the individual level to choose how the plan is actually carried out.

It's quite similar to use an example for another sport of the success Joe Schmidt is having with first Leinster then Ireland in rugby. He describes himself as "an invested spectator" during games; that he builds the system in which every player has a role and knows what they need to do to fulfil that role. He then asks players to think in every situation what can I do to influence this situation. So with the security of the system, every player has the freedom to think for themselves "How can I do something right now to change the game?"

In pevious years Ireland's play was often characterised by how static it was, but even with a basic game plan now the amount of dummy runs, illicit blocks, rips, and misdirects has made the team for more competitive.

I also like Schmidt's approach to subs - he doesn't pick a starting 15 and some subs, he picks a 23. He insists all the subs take notes and study the game intently looking for something they can see that they can do better when they come on the pitch.

Bloody love systems
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024