Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ACL Solution 13:14 - Dec 2 with 3919 viewsTacticalR

As we seemed to be plagued with ACL injuries, I thought I would give this book a try:

The ACL Solution: Prevention and Recovery for Sports' Most Devastating Knee Injury
http://www.theaclsolution.com/

The author Robert Marx is an American surgeon so the book has an American emphasis. Here are some details from the book:

'There are an estimated 41 million American kids playing competitive youth sports today, and estimates run as high as 200,000 ACL surgeries per year in the U.S. alone, a large percentage of which are being performed on the knees of prepubescent kids.' The worst affected U.S. sports are soccer and basketball. According to the author this is due to the increased intensity and frequency of youth sport.

There has been a very large increase in ACL injuries among women. 'Females are as much as six times more likely to tear their ACLs than their male counterparts in the high-risk sports.'

The two main causes are what the author calls 'cutting' (turning suddenly with one foot planted on the ground, with your weight on the planted foot) and jumping. An aggravating factor is having your knee bent inward (knock-kneed position).

Most ACL injuries (about 70 percent) occur in non-contact situations.

A significant part of the book is about the anatomy of the knee. I found it hard going as I didn't know my femur (thigh bone) from my tibia (shin bone). Basically, ligaments connect bone to bone, and the ACL connects the femur to the tibia.

ACLs are slow to heal because very little blood goes to the ACL, which is bathed in a fluid inside the knee. Most athletes can't return to their sport for at least six months. An ACL injury can't normally be operated on immediately after the injury - it normally takes a month for the swelling around the knee to subside. The ACL, which may be completely broken, is normally repaired/rebuilt with tissue from the injured patient's tendons.

It's also not simply bad luck to have more than one ACL injury. Having had a previous ACL tear is a risk factor for future ACL injuries: 'if you've torn your ACL before, you are at a higher risk of tearing it again, or of injuring the other knee.'

Prevention. Studies have been done in American and Norway on reducing the risk of ACL by using ACL prevention programs. These focus on strengthening the knee and teaching players not to bend their knees inward, and to keep their knee above their toe. For example see the walking lunges exercise at 1:20

Air hostess clique

The ACL Solution on 13:19 - Dec 2 with 3904 viewsTW_R

F*ck me - our midfield is already way too slow. To see them strolling a round the pitch doing "walking lunges" certainly isn't going to help us break up field more quickly.
The ACL Solution on 14:06 - Dec 2 with 3859 viewsBstokeranger

Interesting stuff that.

It all depends how lucky you are with other damage.
I know people who have had no problems returning to playing with no future affects.

Speaking from my experience, it's not just the ACL injury that causes the problem, it's the impact elsewhere on the knee such as the meniscus and medial ligaments,
In my case the meniscus was torn to shreds and has needed more surgery after only 18mth back playing. The more damage to that means more impact on the bones which means more injuries.
Amazing to think that much damage caused by simply turning!
The ACL Solution on 14:14 - Dec 2 with 3848 viewsPinnerPaul

Having been "out" injured for 10 month with a knee problem, I can well understand how ANY knee injury seems to take ages to clear up, let alone an ACL.

Heard about the blood supply problem.

The key is building up muscles in the leg so knee doesn't have to take so much strain.

The older you get the longer any knee problems take to clear up - I am back running etc now so thankful for that at my age!
The ACL Solution on 15:50 - Dec 2 with 3801 viewsozranger

A lot of it, of course, relates to problems with the lower back. That area controls the muscles that are required for healthy knees, the quads, hammys and calves. Thus, stretching of so many parts of the lower body and the back is so important.

Yet, to add to the knee list, you have to include the torn cartilage which I have unfortunately had one removed back in the 90s. And, like the commentary in the opening of this thread, it was not caused by contact.
The ACL Solution on 16:17 - Dec 2 with 3772 viewsPinnerPaul

The ACL Solution on 15:50 - Dec 2 by ozranger

A lot of it, of course, relates to problems with the lower back. That area controls the muscles that are required for healthy knees, the quads, hammys and calves. Thus, stretching of so many parts of the lower body and the back is so important.

Yet, to add to the knee list, you have to include the torn cartilage which I have unfortunately had one removed back in the 90s. And, like the commentary in the opening of this thread, it was not caused by contact.

Yes mine, suspected torn meniscus, was non contact as well.
The ACL Solution on 16:22 - Dec 2 with 3763 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm thinking I should have given my torn Meniscus more than 4 weeks before I ran again.... never mind! (you can only run in a straight line btw or it feels like someone has shot your knee)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The ACL Solution on 17:53 - Dec 2 with 3722 viewstheQPRking

Good post. I just had my ACL in my right knee reconstructed as well as a piece of cartilage, i'm two weeks down the line and can climb stairs and walk with only a slight limp.. Did mine turning on the ball and my knee turned instead of my bladed studs..

Got mis diagnosed for 2 years, was told repeatedly it was meniscus or other soft tissue injuries, so ended up redoing my ACL three times in the space of 8 months before I forced the doctor to give me a MRI. I used to do 100m so my legs are strong, to be told by the 'expert doctors' that you just need to strengthen your muscles around it is complete bollocks and hugely frustrating.. You know when its your body, and you know when its not right.. Low and behold result comes back for my MRI and my ACL is torn to shreds, and another cartilage is ripped.. When I asked the surgeon post OP he said it was it pieces, and even though the last time I actually did the knee was about 14 months before the OP he said it was still awful..

Gonna get the book and have a good read, I'm a level one FA coach now and am looking to do my level two asap, This will be handy to pass this info on.. I'd hate for any of the kids that I coach to experience an ACL injury if I can help it..

Also, get round moulded studs for hard ground and round metal studs for soft.. Adidas Coupe Mondials if you're all class like me ;-) haha

Mike
The ACL Solution on 09:37 - Dec 3 with 3609 viewsTW_R

The ACL Solution on 16:22 - Dec 2 by Metallica_Hoop

I'm thinking I should have given my torn Meniscus more than 4 weeks before I ran again.... never mind! (you can only run in a straight line btw or it feels like someone has shot your knee)

Have you heard Torn Meniscus' latest album. I assume you're talking about the Icelandic metal band?
Login to get fewer ads

The ACL Solution on 09:41 - Dec 3 with 3603 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The ACL Solution on 09:37 - Dec 3 by TW_R

Have you heard Torn Meniscus' latest album. I assume you're talking about the Icelandic metal band?

It would be a great name for a band, like 'feasted on dwarf'.

Oddly I got my best ever time, I think cos I was so worried about taking evasive action and the agony that would entail I forgot to feel tired.

Feel tight if I turn though sometimes, expecting it to go again at some point.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The ACL Solution on 12:30 - Dec 3 with 3549 viewsBstokeranger

The ACL Solution on 17:53 - Dec 2 by theQPRking

Good post. I just had my ACL in my right knee reconstructed as well as a piece of cartilage, i'm two weeks down the line and can climb stairs and walk with only a slight limp.. Did mine turning on the ball and my knee turned instead of my bladed studs..

Got mis diagnosed for 2 years, was told repeatedly it was meniscus or other soft tissue injuries, so ended up redoing my ACL three times in the space of 8 months before I forced the doctor to give me a MRI. I used to do 100m so my legs are strong, to be told by the 'expert doctors' that you just need to strengthen your muscles around it is complete bollocks and hugely frustrating.. You know when its your body, and you know when its not right.. Low and behold result comes back for my MRI and my ACL is torn to shreds, and another cartilage is ripped.. When I asked the surgeon post OP he said it was it pieces, and even though the last time I actually did the knee was about 14 months before the OP he said it was still awful..

Gonna get the book and have a good read, I'm a level one FA coach now and am looking to do my level two asap, This will be handy to pass this info on.. I'd hate for any of the kids that I coach to experience an ACL injury if I can help it..

Also, get round moulded studs for hard ground and round metal studs for soft.. Adidas Coupe Mondials if you're all class like me ;-) haha

Mike

Good luck with the recovery.
One piece of advice i would give is get good Physio.
I was back fit within 6 mth largely down to the Physio work on the core muscles around the knee.

Funny you say that about the studs.

I swore for years that blades were a problem as 3 mates had serious injuries turning in them (2 ACL and a spiral fracture) just after they came out about 18 years ago.

Low and behold I wear Copa's, 15 years later get my foot stuck in the ground, turn and tear my knee to shreds.

I think the pitches have something to do with it, they are much better now are days ie firmer with grass longer.
The ACL Solution on 16:14 - Nov 3 with 1427 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Once again thank you TacticaLR for the link.
We met with a Surgeon who suggested waiting 4 weeks for the swelling to go down and try strengthening it before the operation
He suggested using a piece from the Quad instead of Hamstring or Patella Tendon .One reason is because her growth plate /bones are not closed so he thinks she will grow more.
He studied in London so I asked him what the pro players use and he said mostly hamstrings but he thinks Quad for her.
She has 2 more years of competitive travel and school soccer left but is good enough to be a squad player in Collège at least if it goes well and she has the drive and passion left .
Any thoughts on ACL repair methods would be appreciated .Thanks again
The ACL Solution on 18:17 - Nov 3 with 1204 viewsHAYESBOY

I tore my left ACL in 2001 playing football on a soggy pitch. Just felt a ping in my knee trying to change direction. Tried to carry on but couldn't run without limping.
I tried just resting the knee but after two periods of approx 3 months trying to run again without severe pain, went to GP's who sent me for a scan. They found that i had torn my cartilage so i was booked in to have it shaven by keyhole.
After approx 6 weeks i tried full on running again, but the pain was still there.
Went back to GP's and was booked for another scan, this time they found a tear on my ACL. Also cartilage was torn again. This was cleaned up and a date set to have the full reconstructive surgery of having strips of hamstring taken out and then grafted to the torn ACL.
I was warned I would be in a brace for approx 3 months and then intense rehab afterwards. So i warned work and had arranged cover for at least 4 months.
Date came and went in for the op. When i woke up i thought this doesn't feel too bad.
The doctor then explained that on physically seeing the tear they did not think it warranted a full reconstructive procedure and that i would have to have an intense physio programme to strengthen the muscles around the knee.
At the time, I think not long after 2003, Raul from Real Madrid had the exact same diagnoses that he had torn his ACL but a full reconstructive procedure was not recommended.
I was 35 in 2003 and did not return to playing 11 a-side after that. Played the odd 5 a side for a mates team but I have learned to live with it. I was told that i would be susceptible to arthritis in the knee later in life. I feel it every now and then when walking up stairs or cycling. Overall i am glad i did not have the full surgery with hindsight.

Smells like a trout farm in here

The ACL Solution on 19:20 - Nov 3 with 1121 viewsessextaxiboy

Have we suffered a new ACL injury ? What have I missed
The ACL Solution on 19:33 - Nov 3 with 1084 viewsTacticalR

The ACL Solution on 19:20 - Nov 3 by essextaxiboy

Have we suffered a new ACL injury ? What have I missed

This thread is from 2013.

CLAREMAN1995 mentioned on another thread that his daughter had suffered an ACL injury:
Favourite new sayings you've picked up from LFW by PinnerPaul 3 Nov 2021 18:31
Non QPR

Try using that in everyday life!

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024