Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our current squad 10:37 - Jan 6 with 3888 viewslave16

I have been mulling over this for a while... and figured we have a really odd squad... not including the ones out on loan. The ones currently playing for us... as is I was thinking harry was a bit crap.... but looking at the players, their ages and the squad profile. i think he is actually doing well. However I think the wheels are ready to come off... on any given Saturday we have to many players who are over 30 playing... they are good in the championship but not great... I am struggling to remember any of them dominating a game in the last month or so. That's why I am really really worried that if we don't go up this year we are in real trouble and if we do... we will need a lot of wheeling and dealing in the summer to just give us a chance to stay up. Bar Charlie Austin, Matt Phillips, Hoilett (when fit) and possibly danny simpson we would struggle to sell any of our players.. so the question is what does tony do... give harry a load of cash and hope it gets us promoted, or hope we get promoted with what we have....

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Our current squad on 11:05 - Jan 6 with 2847 viewsdaveB

The current squad is more than good enough to win promotion and I still think we will go up, no doubt we'll spend more this month and be even stronger but I'm not sure we really need to.
Our current squad on 11:32 - Jan 6 with 2793 viewsTacticalR

My thoughts after the home match against Doncaster:

Right from the beginning of the season the question has been: 'How good are we?'. Now we are half-way through and we have played all the other teams we can say:

1) It doesn't matter what our players earn, there is not a huge difference between teams in the division.
2) When we have come up against the top teams in the division (Burnley and Leicester) we have lost.

Air hostess clique

Our current squad on 11:51 - Jan 6 with 2745 viewswhittocksRs

Our current squad on 11:32 - Jan 6 by TacticalR

My thoughts after the home match against Doncaster:

Right from the beginning of the season the question has been: 'How good are we?'. Now we are half-way through and we have played all the other teams we can say:

1) It doesn't matter what our players earn, there is not a huge difference between teams in the division.
2) When we have come up against the top teams in the division (Burnley and Leicester) we have lost.

The second point here is the one that worries me.
Our current squad on 11:57 - Jan 6 with 2727 viewskingo

Our current squad on 11:51 - Jan 6 by whittocksRs

Yes we did lose to both Burnley and Leicester but we also beat Derby, Ipswich, Leeds etc. I didn't see the Burnley game but we were miles better than Leicester, although as everyone who goes knows we need another decent striker.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Our current squad on 12:21 - Jan 6 with 2670 viewswhittocksRs

Our current squad on 11:57 - Jan 6 by kingo

Yes we did lose to both Burnley and Leicester but we also beat Derby, Ipswich, Leeds etc. I didn't see the Burnley game but we were miles better than Leicester, although as everyone who goes knows we need another decent striker.

Yep, we beat Derby. That was a good performance. Leeds, Blackpool and Ipswich were all decent results though I don't expect any of them challenging at the end of the year.

The issue was, minus the first half of the Leicester game when we should have put them to bed, we were totally outplayed by them, Burnley and Forest. Where they look to be all getting stronger, we look like we're getting weaker.

I'm certain we'll get a play-off spot but as the FA Cup just reminded us, we're the worst cup team in England.
Our current squad on 12:38 - Jan 6 with 2642 viewsNeil_SI

There are two ways to look at it; the squad here and now and what's needed to evolve the side, be it, for another season in the Championship or an attempt to sustain Premier League status.

The current problem is the midfield area. It's not balanced correctly. We have strength in numbers in there, but we don't have depth or variation in terms of physical quality. They all share a similar problem, that none of them really have the energy or legs to go from box-to-box effectively and this means they're unable to support the striker properly.

As for the technical and tactical strengths, they're all a much of a muchness. While one player may be strong in one area, he's let down by his weaknesses elsewhere, hence, we need to compensate, and really that's why we have three central midfield players as none of them are really good enough in a flat four in the middle of the park. Someone needs the legs to do this and maybe they felt by having Tom Carroll or Karl Henry in the side, that player could dictate and help dictate the tempo and flow of the play from the base of the side, allowing the other midfielder(s) to push further forward. But, it hasn't worked that well for whatever reason in terms of attack, and actually probably is related to the lack of pace in central defence. If we stick with Clint Hill and Richard Dunne, then we're going to have to sit deeper and protect their lack of pace, so that won't help us in terms of depth and moving players further forward, and it also creates a sense of responsibility and caution for the players in front, who become more reluctant to take risks. . Three in the middle though has clearly contributed to why we are so difficult to break down and score against.

If we stick with this, we have to come up with the tactical plan to play to our strengths, and that would be distributing the ball wide quickly and working on Charlie Austin's hold up play — which despite the fantastic season he's having, is what needs work, real work, if he wants to be a Premier League striker. It needs to be slow at certain points and then sped up with pace when utilising the wide players. We need the wide players to drag the ball up the pitch and force the opposition to retreat into a defensive mentality in order for the defence to safely move up the field. If that doesn't happen, they will stay deep.

On top of this, I've said it many times over the years, but we don't have defenders who are great on the ball, and we do need a ball carrying defender to help evolve the play. If you saw Everton, Antolín Alcaraz, a back up defender for them, was able to confidently dribble out of defence into the midfield area and distribute the ball, short or long. If we don't have someone in the midfield who can pass, it's left to our defence and we saw a bit of that against Doncaster Rovers. When Tom Carroll wasn't in the side, the defenders resorted to punting it, or it ended up with Joey Barton, who isn't the great when it comes to decision making and passing on the ball, it's not his strength.

But, there is a lot of experience in this team, and it can grind it's way through this season at a canter if it wants to. If we can coax a little bit more out of the side in attack, which we should be able to, then we will be alright and do well.

It's arguable whether that evolves the side much or not, or whether different personnel is needed, but most likely the latter. In terms of signings, it's all about the boards desire to get to the Premier League as quickly but as cheaply as possible, unless they feel that promotion is under threat. In that case, expect them to spend and spend big in the sense of outspending the Championship. The only reason they won't get higher profile names is because some of them don't want the Championship yet, and that it's a World Cup year, so we are not as attractive.

If we are promoted with this side, it needs surgery and if they want to stay up, I suspect they will spend big again and on high profile players. Pretty much more of the same, maybe with a little better choices than last time around, but I doubt by much in terms of value for money.

If they wanted to be sensible, they'd look at players who would benefit us now, potentially benefit from Premier League football, and would still benefit Championship football and be happy to stay. These are complicated questions though with no easy answer and lots of risk attached.

A striker, Niko Jelavic for £5m? Seriously? This is the Championship. Is that value for money? If we took him into the side, would he really improve us? Would he partner Austin or rotate with him? How will our team change it's style of play? Is it capable?

Or maybe, we should go for players who would evolve our current squad and team, slowly. Andy Johnson, when fit, is excellent at this level. He moves into the channels well, has pace, and can score goals. But he's way past his best and unable to find consistent playing time due to his injury problems.

Who out there who is like him who can play every week if needed? Or be happy with a rotational position in the squad? Connor Wickham might be one. He's young, English, on loan at Sheffield Wednesday with his deal expiring. He's 6"3, fast, strong, good first touch and works the channels well, similar to Johnson. He's someone who from the summer goes into the last year in his contract, so why not take him on loan, with a view to seeing how he does?

If he does well, he might fancy us whatever division we're in, and he'll certainly do well in our team in the Championship given the experience we currently have, but, I'm sure with some development and progression, he'd do well in the Premier League over time as he's got something to prove after it didn't work out for him at Sunderland.

That final year of his contract, he probably earns too much at Sunderland for my liking — but why not negotiate? Would he realistically get the same money at another Championship club? Would a Premier League club be willing to match his current salary? I think there's a good chance that might not be the case, so go and get some value, and that value could increase or decrease, depending on a loan or permanent transfer, and when that happens.

That's all theory of course, I don't think the club are interested in Wickham at all, but just trying to explain some of my thought process. Otherwise, it's as you are, look for the best, cheap and free short term deals you can do to sustain your push for promotion — hence, why you see the likes of Carlton Cole being mentioned, as he can "do a job" at this level and wouldn't necessarily break the bank in the great scheme of things.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2014 12:41]
Our current squad on 12:51 - Jan 6 with 2587 viewsNeil_SI

On a related point, we have an awful lot of players in the final year of their contract, so there is likely to be a lot of change in the summer regardless.

Some of these I think include:

Robert Green
Clint Hill
Richard Dunne
Benoit Assou-Ekotto (loan)
Tom Carroll (loan)
Niko Kranjcar (loan)
Jermaine Jenas
Gary O'Neil
Andy Johnson
Bobby Zamora
Stephane Mbia
Ji-Sung Park
Oguchi Onyewu
Luke Young
Yossi Benayoun
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Brian Murphy
Hogan Ephraim
Our current squad on 13:02 - Jan 6 with 2562 viewsdaveB

Our current squad on 12:51 - Jan 6 by Neil_SI

On a related point, we have an awful lot of players in the final year of their contract, so there is likely to be a lot of change in the summer regardless.

Robert Green
Clint Hill
Richard Dunne
Tom Carroll (loan)
Niko Kranjcar (loan)
Jermaine Jenas
Gary O'Neil
Andy Johnson
Bobby Zamora
Stephane Mbia
Ji-Sung Park
Oguchi Onyewu
Luke Young
Yossi Benayoun
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Brian Murphy
Hogan Ephraim

Out of those i'd only expect to see Green here next season
Login to get fewer ads

Our current squad on 13:10 - Jan 6 with 2540 viewsheadhoops

Robert Green - keep
Clint Hill - keep move into coachingdevelopment

Benoit Assou-Ekotto (loan) Tom Carroll (loan) Niko Kranjcar (loan) - BAE if we go up no to TC and NK.

The rest - Dunne should retire and the rest - car boot sale!
Jermaine Jenas Gary O'Neil Andy Johnson Bobby Zamora Stephane Mbia Ji-Sung Park Oguchi Onyewu Luke Young Yossi Benayoun Shaun Wright-Phillips Brian Murphy Hogan Ephraim.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Our current squad on 13:14 - Jan 6 with 2523 viewsenfieldargh

Robert Green
Clint Hill
Richard Dunne
Tom Carroll (loan)
Niko Kranjcar (loan)
Jermaine Jenas
Gary O'Neil
Andy Johnson
Bobby Zamora
Stephane Mbia
Ji-Sung Park
Oguchi Onyewu
Luke Young
Yossi Benayoun
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Brian Murphy
Hogan Ephraim

that is a lovely list

retain only
Rob Green
Clint Hill
and possibly Richard Dunne

Nikko & BAE are great but ether they will stay remains to be seen

All the rest need to go...preferbly now

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Our current squad on 13:21 - Jan 6 with 2505 viewsPinnerPaul

Our current squad on 11:51 - Jan 6 by whittocksRs

We also lost to Forest but beat Derby, Leeds and Ipswich?

All the top teams have lost to teams below them.
Our current squad on 13:27 - Jan 6 with 2496 viewsstansleftfoot

I've looked at this list once a week all season, I think it helps describe the position Harry, Tony Fernandes and his partners are in.
These are truly exciting times at QPR, less so if your on the list.
Just how happy is Harry going to be when the next journo refers to wheeling and dealing....
There's a natural process to be followed through and it's a massive opportunity here, and i'm not sure its reliant on promotion this year, nice but not reliant.
Our current squad on 13:32 - Jan 6 with 2477 viewsToast_R

I think the long Championship season combined with the diabolical weather conditions has caught up with many of the players who probably don't really fancy it too much. And where is the inclination for most of them to so well when they know on a personal level they don't have to. Afterall they've already made their money and are winding down for a long comfortable retrirement.

A nice weeks break to Dubai may do them well to refresh the egos but I can't help think we've again recruited one too many mercs.

Hungrier teams at this point in the season will role these players over and so it's proving.
If only we could have half the team spirit of Warnock's 2010/11 squad we'd be ok.

If we fail to go up we really need a blank canvass for next season, including new management IMO.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2014 13:36]
Our current squad on 13:33 - Jan 6 with 2475 viewsstansleftfoot

Just stats re QPR

points per game top half sides 1.45
points per game bottom half sides 2.31
current total 1.92
current 6 game form 1.33 places us mid table
Top club defensively
18th club attacking
Our current squad on 13:34 - Jan 6 with 2464 viewsPinnerPaul

Our current squad on 13:32 - Jan 6 by Toast_R

I think the long Championship season combined with the diabolical weather conditions has caught up with many of the players who probably don't really fancy it too much. And where is the inclination for most of them to so well when they know on a personal level they don't have to. Afterall they've already made their money and are winding down for a long comfortable retrirement.

A nice weeks break to Dubai may do them well to refresh the egos but I can't help think we've again recruited one too many mercs.

Hungrier teams at this point in the season will role these players over and so it's proving.
If only we could have half the team spirit of Warnock's 2010/11 squad we'd be ok.

If we fail to go up we really need a blank canvass for next season, including new management IMO.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2014 13:36]

Weather???!!! - Two of our victories - Blackpool and Doncaster - were played in the worse weather we've seen all season.
Our current squad on 13:40 - Jan 6 with 2441 viewsToast_R

Our current squad on 13:34 - Jan 6 by PinnerPaul

Weather???!!! - Two of our victories - Blackpool and Doncaster - were played in the worse weather we've seen all season.

Did you see how crap they were for 45 minutes in both games?

Only when the substitutions were made and Austin and Phillips came into the game (Two of the few rightfully hungry players we have) and got us out the mire did we look anywhere near decent.
Our current squad on 13:53 - Jan 6 with 2406 viewsMatch82

Our current squad on 13:33 - Jan 6 by stansleftfoot

Just stats re QPR

points per game top half sides 1.45
points per game bottom half sides 2.31
current total 1.92
current 6 game form 1.33 places us mid table
Top club defensively
18th club attacking

This might be the most un-QPR set of statistics I've seen.

Surely we're all used to raising our game against the "big boys" and then being let down in the obvious easy games?
Our current squad on 14:23 - Jan 6 with 2376 viewsTacticalR

Our current squad on 11:57 - Jan 6 by kingo

So it seems we are where we ought to be...below the teams that have beaten us, and above the teams we have beaten!

Air hostess clique

Our current squad on 14:30 - Jan 6 with 2354 viewsJuzzie

Weather should never, ever be used as an excuse. It's the same conditions for both sides and if players aren't up for it then maybe they should think of a career change. Maybe become a waiter in Greece or something like that, nice and warm there.
Our current squad on 14:49 - Jan 6 with 2318 viewswhittocksRs

Robert Green
Clint Hill
Richard Dunne
Tom Carroll (loan)
Niko Kranjcar (loan)
Jermaine Jenas
Gary O'Neil
Andy Johnson
Bobby Zamora
Stephane Mbia
Ji-Sung Park
Oguchi Onyewu
Luke Young
Yossi Benayoun
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Brian Murphy
Hogan Ephraim

Think you can guarantee

BAE, Carroll, Jenas, Krancjar, Johnson, Zamora, Mbia, Park, Onyewu, Benayoun, SWP and Ephraim will all be going. At least the finances will feel a lot safer, even if we've not gone up.
Our current squad on 21:17 - Jan 6 with 2180 viewsderbyhoop

There's a huge amount of rebuilding (again!) to be done this Summer - irrespective of the division we'll be playing in. The list of players out of contract only serves to emphasise that.
What I'd like to see us doing in January is picking up some younger players who can make a contribution in the latter half of this season and capable of getting better in time for a PL season. I'd have hoped to see some evidence of QPR doing scouting. I'm not hopeful.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Our current squad on 21:32 - Jan 6 with 2138 viewsLoft1979

Our current squad on 12:38 - Jan 6 by Neil_SI

There are two ways to look at it; the squad here and now and what's needed to evolve the side, be it, for another season in the Championship or an attempt to sustain Premier League status.

The current problem is the midfield area. It's not balanced correctly. We have strength in numbers in there, but we don't have depth or variation in terms of physical quality. They all share a similar problem, that none of them really have the energy or legs to go from box-to-box effectively and this means they're unable to support the striker properly.

As for the technical and tactical strengths, they're all a much of a muchness. While one player may be strong in one area, he's let down by his weaknesses elsewhere, hence, we need to compensate, and really that's why we have three central midfield players as none of them are really good enough in a flat four in the middle of the park. Someone needs the legs to do this and maybe they felt by having Tom Carroll or Karl Henry in the side, that player could dictate and help dictate the tempo and flow of the play from the base of the side, allowing the other midfielder(s) to push further forward. But, it hasn't worked that well for whatever reason in terms of attack, and actually probably is related to the lack of pace in central defence. If we stick with Clint Hill and Richard Dunne, then we're going to have to sit deeper and protect their lack of pace, so that won't help us in terms of depth and moving players further forward, and it also creates a sense of responsibility and caution for the players in front, who become more reluctant to take risks. . Three in the middle though has clearly contributed to why we are so difficult to break down and score against.

If we stick with this, we have to come up with the tactical plan to play to our strengths, and that would be distributing the ball wide quickly and working on Charlie Austin's hold up play — which despite the fantastic season he's having, is what needs work, real work, if he wants to be a Premier League striker. It needs to be slow at certain points and then sped up with pace when utilising the wide players. We need the wide players to drag the ball up the pitch and force the opposition to retreat into a defensive mentality in order for the defence to safely move up the field. If that doesn't happen, they will stay deep.

On top of this, I've said it many times over the years, but we don't have defenders who are great on the ball, and we do need a ball carrying defender to help evolve the play. If you saw Everton, Antolín Alcaraz, a back up defender for them, was able to confidently dribble out of defence into the midfield area and distribute the ball, short or long. If we don't have someone in the midfield who can pass, it's left to our defence and we saw a bit of that against Doncaster Rovers. When Tom Carroll wasn't in the side, the defenders resorted to punting it, or it ended up with Joey Barton, who isn't the great when it comes to decision making and passing on the ball, it's not his strength.

But, there is a lot of experience in this team, and it can grind it's way through this season at a canter if it wants to. If we can coax a little bit more out of the side in attack, which we should be able to, then we will be alright and do well.

It's arguable whether that evolves the side much or not, or whether different personnel is needed, but most likely the latter. In terms of signings, it's all about the boards desire to get to the Premier League as quickly but as cheaply as possible, unless they feel that promotion is under threat. In that case, expect them to spend and spend big in the sense of outspending the Championship. The only reason they won't get higher profile names is because some of them don't want the Championship yet, and that it's a World Cup year, so we are not as attractive.

If we are promoted with this side, it needs surgery and if they want to stay up, I suspect they will spend big again and on high profile players. Pretty much more of the same, maybe with a little better choices than last time around, but I doubt by much in terms of value for money.

If they wanted to be sensible, they'd look at players who would benefit us now, potentially benefit from Premier League football, and would still benefit Championship football and be happy to stay. These are complicated questions though with no easy answer and lots of risk attached.

A striker, Niko Jelavic for £5m? Seriously? This is the Championship. Is that value for money? If we took him into the side, would he really improve us? Would he partner Austin or rotate with him? How will our team change it's style of play? Is it capable?

Or maybe, we should go for players who would evolve our current squad and team, slowly. Andy Johnson, when fit, is excellent at this level. He moves into the channels well, has pace, and can score goals. But he's way past his best and unable to find consistent playing time due to his injury problems.

Who out there who is like him who can play every week if needed? Or be happy with a rotational position in the squad? Connor Wickham might be one. He's young, English, on loan at Sheffield Wednesday with his deal expiring. He's 6"3, fast, strong, good first touch and works the channels well, similar to Johnson. He's someone who from the summer goes into the last year in his contract, so why not take him on loan, with a view to seeing how he does?

If he does well, he might fancy us whatever division we're in, and he'll certainly do well in our team in the Championship given the experience we currently have, but, I'm sure with some development and progression, he'd do well in the Premier League over time as he's got something to prove after it didn't work out for him at Sunderland.

That final year of his contract, he probably earns too much at Sunderland for my liking — but why not negotiate? Would he realistically get the same money at another Championship club? Would a Premier League club be willing to match his current salary? I think there's a good chance that might not be the case, so go and get some value, and that value could increase or decrease, depending on a loan or permanent transfer, and when that happens.

That's all theory of course, I don't think the club are interested in Wickham at all, but just trying to explain some of my thought process. Otherwise, it's as you are, look for the best, cheap and free short term deals you can do to sustain your push for promotion — hence, why you see the likes of Carlton Cole being mentioned, as he can "do a job" at this level and wouldn't necessarily break the bank in the great scheme of things.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2014 12:41]

Well thought out post. Good work.

- Nedum. Addresses your point about defense our side is so much better when he plays. We also need to address Dunnes fatigue.
- midfield. A lot of bodies but the deficit you point to is spot on. Thus link to Richie Wellens.
- attack. Most obvious problem area. Hence rumored links to Cole, Wells , jalavic, and probably more to come.
Our current squad on 21:55 - Jan 6 with 2107 viewsbosh67

Remember if we go up we still have Cesar, Mbia, Diakite and Remy!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our current squad on 21:57 - Jan 6 with 2097 viewsVish

Our current squad on 14:49 - Jan 6 by whittocksRs

Think you can guarantee

BAE, Carroll, Jenas, Krancjar, Johnson, Zamora, Mbia, Park, Onyewu, Benayoun, SWP and Ephraim will all be going. At least the finances will feel a lot safer, even if we've not gone up.

SWP is with us until 2015.

We will still be left with paying for

Remy, Barton, Tarrabt, Diakate, Cesar, Hoilett and Granero who will all be on massive wages. But that out of contract list end of this season makes me feel a bit better!
Our current squad on 22:37 - Jan 6 with 2035 viewsRangersAreBack

The squad lack balance. Obviously we lack (fit) of strikers but we also have no box-to-box midfielders can split a defence and weigh in with goals. Our midfield squad consists largely of defensive cloggers and luxury players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024