Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What type of club do we actually want to be? 13:57 - Mar 3 with 2594 viewsTonto

IMO we are a team with an identity crisis. And this in turn has lead to our own fans getting involved in heavy handed debates (i.e. fighting with each other), and a general depression across this and other QPR message boards.

are we:
a yo yo team (like West brom were a few years back?
a solid championship team?
a team that splashes the cash to make a go of it in the premiership?

I'm not sure I know. We have flexed some financial muscle in the Championship, and that has lead us to be rounded hated by the other 23 clubs (even if we are not the worst culprit). We seem to be trying to get back in the prem 9even if the players/management appear to have forgotten this recently), there is the prospect of a very large stadium and new training ground. If all change - but where to?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 13:59 - Mar 3 with 1982 viewsthemodfather

a team that has some home grown talent that is given the chance to progress thru the first team
a club with a sensible fiscal plan, a wage cap and do not offer long contracts
not to rely on odd twitter comments as i know no one who uses it
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:16 - Mar 3 with 1962 viewsGetMeRangers

An entertaining team, playing entertaining football in entertaining matches. A sort of utopia and with luck a cup run or two. When taking a young son to watch the home win against Bardiff in the promotion season, I pointed out, after Adel gave us the lead, that perhaps he was going to witness his first ever QPR victory (He had an unlucky mascot label having rarely seen us score let alone even draw, after 7 attempts).... he replied that he did not care whether "we" won or not.... this was the most exciting game he had ever seen.

Like father, Like son?
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:23 - Mar 3 with 1946 viewsdaveB

We could try and be like that club a few years back, I forget their name. They used to try and be innovative, bring their own players through, sign up and coming players who would go on and do well elsewhere after a successful spell at that club and see that cub as a place they can develop and improve their career and in the end look back at that club as the best time of their career.

A club who hired managers and players who wanted to be at that club and saw it as a real honour to wear the shirt and have a relationship with the supporters I forget what they were called, wore blue and white if memory serves but decided around 1997 that spending money on ex prem players on the way down was the way forward and despite a brief return to sanity around ten years ago they lost the plot big time and became a parody of themselves. God what were they called again? but they were pretty good, I always used to like them
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:24 - Mar 3 with 1947 viewsessextaxiboy

Everton.... in a new ground at a new training complex.

Always in with a shout for Europe and the cups , attracting decent young managers who see us as one step down from the top clubs
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:30 - Mar 3 with 1936 viewsRangersw12

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:23 - Mar 3 by daveB

We could try and be like that club a few years back, I forget their name. They used to try and be innovative, bring their own players through, sign up and coming players who would go on and do well elsewhere after a successful spell at that club and see that cub as a place they can develop and improve their career and in the end look back at that club as the best time of their career.

A club who hired managers and players who wanted to be at that club and saw it as a real honour to wear the shirt and have a relationship with the supporters I forget what they were called, wore blue and white if memory serves but decided around 1997 that spending money on ex prem players on the way down was the way forward and despite a brief return to sanity around ten years ago they lost the plot big time and became a parody of themselves. God what were they called again? but they were pretty good, I always used to like them

This !
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:06 - Mar 3 with 1852 viewsjamois

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:24 - Mar 3 by essextaxiboy

Everton.... in a new ground at a new training complex.

Always in with a shout for Europe and the cups , attracting decent young managers who see us as one step down from the top clubs

Yes, this. And I like Dave's response too. I'd also like to add that we should have a template for our playing style too. Something that is coached right the way through the club, is embedded in our ethos and that the club and its supporters both identify with and can be identified by it.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:23 - Mar 3 with 1821 viewsSpiritofGregory

A club that uses it's millions to spend wisely. With the our investment we should be at least a top 10 Premier League club. Trust Rangers to have Billionaire owners and still screw up.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:23 - Mar 3 with 1821 viewsSpiritofGregory

[Post edited 3 Mar 2014 19:28]
Login to get fewer ads

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:25 - Mar 3 with 1825 viewsdaveB

with the money we've spent in recent years if we had spent it doing things the old qpr way we'd be a comfortable top half premier league side now imo, instead we've wasted 6 years going round in circles
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:26 - Mar 3 with 1820 viewsMedwayR

A lot of sense spoken here, I sometimes think we should have fan representation at board level

Poll: Who’s better?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:31 - Mar 3 with 1801 viewsSpiritofGregory

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:25 - Mar 3 by daveB

with the money we've spent in recent years if we had spent it doing things the old qpr way we'd be a comfortable top half premier league side now imo, instead we've wasted 6 years going round in circles

We have spent more money than Everton in the last 3 years. It's just that they always employ a decent manager, promote youth and pick off the best players from the lower leagues. TF stated that he admires Everton yet he employs an opposite transfer policy at QPR.

I just don't get it.
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 20:04 - Mar 3 with 1767 viewsconnell10

that dave me old son was a really top post, so bloody true it almost brought tears to me eyes!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 22:15 - Mar 3 with 1700 viewsloftboy

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 20:04 - Mar 3 by connell10

that dave me old son was a really top post, so bloody true it almost brought tears to me eyes!

Somebody ideally Tony Fernandes to make us debt free, then hire a manager with a remit to run the club within its income, I know we would not get to the honey trap that is the Premier league for several years if at all but ffs most teams that do get there still end up in debt so what's the point?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 23:12 - Mar 3 with 1666 viewsderbyhoop

Warren Farm could be the most important thing this club has done in the last 10 years. Not because it will be a top quality training facility for the first team but because it gives us a chance to improve the Youth set up even more than it has been improved by Steve Gallen and Marc Bircham.
For the last 10-15 years any decent youngster, without family related QPR ties, would have been better off going to any one of a handful of clubs. Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham, Chelsea, Reading and even Watford have been recruiting from a similar catchment area to us. They all have better facilities and better coaches. Warren Farm gives us a chance of attracting those kids to us. If we can ensure the coaching set up at Youth level is professional and with Steve Gallen at the top that seems very likely, then the ones who do sign for us will develop.
It doesn't always seem like it but the progression in recent times has been massive. Ehmer, Harriman, Hitchcock, Doughty, Petrasso are all having extensive loan spells in L1. Their predecessors were Ryman League level. What we need now is someone to break though to QPR's first team level .

Get a few youngsters coming through. Add a smattering of young players who cut their teeth in the lower leagues but are still young enough to progress with us. Throw in a few experienced old heads, who are prepared to help and encourage. The result is a QPR like we had in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Hopefully, with even more success.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 08:30 - Mar 4 with 1621 viewsconnell10

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 23:12 - Mar 3 by derbyhoop

Warren Farm could be the most important thing this club has done in the last 10 years. Not because it will be a top quality training facility for the first team but because it gives us a chance to improve the Youth set up even more than it has been improved by Steve Gallen and Marc Bircham.
For the last 10-15 years any decent youngster, without family related QPR ties, would have been better off going to any one of a handful of clubs. Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham, Chelsea, Reading and even Watford have been recruiting from a similar catchment area to us. They all have better facilities and better coaches. Warren Farm gives us a chance of attracting those kids to us. If we can ensure the coaching set up at Youth level is professional and with Steve Gallen at the top that seems very likely, then the ones who do sign for us will develop.
It doesn't always seem like it but the progression in recent times has been massive. Ehmer, Harriman, Hitchcock, Doughty, Petrasso are all having extensive loan spells in L1. Their predecessors were Ryman League level. What we need now is someone to break though to QPR's first team level .

Get a few youngsters coming through. Add a smattering of young players who cut their teeth in the lower leagues but are still young enough to progress with us. Throw in a few experienced old heads, who are prepared to help and encourage. The result is a QPR like we had in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Hopefully, with even more success.

another great post!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 08:33 - Mar 4 with 1618 viewsPey

+ 1
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 08:42 - Mar 4 with 1597 viewsSpiritofGregory

I hear that Jenas wants a new contract.

TF PLEASE DO NOT OFFER HIM A CONTRACT, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF QPR SIGNING HAS BEENS.
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 09:21 - Mar 4 with 1579 viewstoboboly

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:26 - Mar 3 by MedwayR

A lot of sense spoken here, I sometimes think we should have fan representation at board level

With our fans? There would be a mutiny 20 minutes into the first game.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 09:33 - Mar 4 with 1567 viewsade_qpr

Combination, but they all dovetail nicely together in the same direction of the the 3 posts by Dave B, Essex and Derby listed above

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 09:37 - Mar 4 with 1564 viewskingsburyR

One that shoots a bit more!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 11:39 - Mar 4 with 1537 viewsQPunkR

QPR - "shit but local"

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:31 - Mar 4 with 1489 viewsTHEBUSH

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 19:31 - Mar 3 by SpiritofGregory

We have spent more money than Everton in the last 3 years. It's just that they always employ a decent manager, promote youth and pick off the best players from the lower leagues. TF stated that he admires Everton yet he employs an opposite transfer policy at QPR.

I just don't get it.

Hopefully our next manager, (I've no idea who) will be a decent football coach, someone who can bring players on.

Where we gonna find our next Dave Sexton ?
What type of club do we actually want to be? on 14:41 - Mar 4 with 1476 viewsMonahoop

A club that does something right for a change. Guess after following them for 46 years,that's a little too much to ask for. But I still await and hope, patient being that I am!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 16:25 - Mar 4 with 1434 viewspaulparker

Not often I agree with you Dave but spot on there Fella
we also used to be a club that was different and tried things that made us stand out
our Kit, Plastic pitch, at the time our Stadium, our number 10's etc
I would love us to try something different again
get Gerry Francis back as DOF, olly as boss with Birch & Furlong as Assistants
get Waddock, Bardsley, & The Gallens Coaching our kids real QPR men who know what this club is about , Hell maybe get EL Tel to do some part time coaching
lets create a whole new club ethos and get back to decent scouting, selling players at the right time at the right price, make players yearn to wear the number 10 shirt
get the whole club playing one system from the under 11's to the 1st team
yes it will take time but so will the new stadium & training ground
if we do it now then maybe we will see the fruits of our labour by the time the stadium is done

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

What type of club do we actually want to be? on 22:40 - Mar 4 with 1371 viewsHadders

I agree with many of the other points made, but have something to add. I guess few others would care much for this, but I`d like it if we became famous for fair play and accepting the ref`s word as final. If all players were told that dissent and cheating of any kind were totally unacceptable to the club, paradoxically, it might even benefit us on the pitch,with us getting fewer cards and being trusted by officials. Fair play might become something that people identified with the club, and would be something we could all feel proud of.

Oh yes, and be like a mini-Barca, with a charity advert on our shirts, signature playing style and, you know, players who know how to control and pass a ball.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2014 22:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024