Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World cup logo 14:01 - May 7 with 6841 viewsDaBurgh

or facepalm, the choice is yours.

World cup logo on 14:08 - May 7 with 5413 viewsJuzzie

It's Sepp Blatters hands groping all over the trophy he craves....... 'my precious'.
World cup logo on 14:09 - May 7 with 5406 viewstoboboly

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

World cup logo on 14:18 - May 7 with 5365 viewsDiscodroid

love a bit of retero..

1982 the best world cup ever!!

look at that squad..best in my lifetime.

impossible to compare era's but this lot would play the 'daddy' in the borstal of englands era...the current 2014 can play 'davis'

Head coach: Ron Greenwood

No. Pos. Player DoB/Age Caps Club
1 GK Ray Clemence 5 August 1948 (aged 33) 59 England Tottenham Hotspur
2 DF Viv Anderson 29 August 1956 (aged 25) 10 England Nottingham Forest
3 MF Trevor Brooking 2 October 1948 (aged 33) 46 England West Ham United
4 DF Terry Butcher 28 December 1958 (aged 23) 4 England Ipswich Town
5 MF Steve Coppell 9 July 1955 (aged 26) 36 England Manchester United
6 DF Steve Foster 24 September 1957 (aged 24) 2 England Brighton and Hove Albion
7 FW Kevin Keegan 14 February 1951 (aged 31) 62 England Southampton
8 FW Trevor Francis 19 April 1954 (aged 28) 27 England Manchester City
9 MF Glenn Hoddle 27 October 1957 (aged 24) 11 England Tottenham Hotspur
10 MF Terry McDermott 8 December 1951 (aged 30) 25 England Liverpool
11 FW Paul Mariner 22 May 1953 (aged 29) 21 England Ipswich Town
12 DF Mick Mills (c) 4 January 1949 (aged 33) 37 England Ipswich Town
13 GK Joe Corrigan 18 November 1948 (aged 33) 9 England Manchester City
14 DF Phil Neal 20 February 1951 (aged 31) 37 England Liverpool
15 MF Graham Rix 23 October 1957 (aged 24) 8 England Arsenal
16 MF Bryan Robson 11 January 1957 (aged 25) 19 England Manchester United
17 DF Kenny Sansom 26 September 1958 (aged 23) 23 England Arsenal
18 DF Phil Thompson 21 January 1954 (aged 28) 35 England Liverpool
19 MF Ray Wilkins 14 September 1956 (aged 25) 47 England Manchester United
20 FW Peter Withe 30 August 1951 (aged 30) 6 England Aston Villa
21 FW Tony Woodcock 6 December 1955 (aged 26) 22 West Germany FC Köln
22 GK Peter Shilton 18 September 1949 (aged 32) 37 England Nottingham Forest

cyril regis was injured.....laurie cunningham was at real madrid and couldnt even make this squad..alan devonshire was also injured.

The national teams gone backwards....i reckon if you asked any geezer in his mid thirties to late forties 80% dont give a short arm ginger wnk for the national side .
[Post edited 7 May 2014 14:19]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

World cup logo on 14:23 - May 7 with 5357 viewsTheBlob

Must be a Welshman - hand out and getting munnnnnny thrust into it.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

World cup logo on 14:45 - May 7 with 5307 viewsBlackCrowe

I quite like it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

World cup logo on 14:46 - May 7 with 5301 viewspaulparker

World cup logo on 14:18 - May 7 by Discodroid

love a bit of retero..

impossible to compare era's but this lot would play the 'daddy' in the borstal of englands era...the current 2014 can play 'davis'

6 DF Steve Foster 24 September 1957 (aged 24) 2 England Brighton and Hove Albion

cyril regis was injured.....laurie cunningham was at real madrid and couldnt even make this squad..alan devonshire was also injured.

The national teams gone backwards....i reckon if you asked any geezer in his mid thirties to late forties 80% dont give a short arm ginger wnk for the national side .

Feck Me that really was the golden generation there !!
a midfield of hoddle, Wilkins robson & rix
shame we took an unfit keegan & Brooking instead of Cunningham, some things don't change do they, picking named players for those fit & in form
its also worth noting we didn't lose a game in that finals & only went out in the 2nd group stage for not scoring enough (wot no clive allen )
funny to think that sansom,wilkins & Francis would be playing for us 8 years later

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

World cup logo on 15:11 - May 7 with 5239 viewsDiscodroid

World cup logo on 14:46 - May 7 by paulparker

Feck Me that really was the golden generation there !!
a midfield of hoddle, Wilkins robson & rix
shame we took an unfit keegan & Brooking instead of Cunningham, some things don't change do they, picking named players for those fit & in form
its also worth noting we didn't lose a game in that finals & only went out in the 2nd group stage for not scoring enough (wot no clive allen )
funny to think that sansom,wilkins & Francis would be playing for us 8 years later

yep that
england 82 world cup team went home at the group stage without losing a single game.
we turned over a french team who made the semi final who were robbed of a win by the thuggish w german side.

we beat the french with possibly their best midfield ever...tigana, platini, alain giresse , rochteaux.

genghini and didier six couldnt make that midfield.

like you say we went out after a nil nil against the host team , with brooking and keegan playing on one leg.
if those two had have been fit (keegan missed a sitter after coming on as sub) we would have won comfortably against a shot home nation.

it would have been france again in the semi who we had already beasted in the earlier rounds.
they had amazing skill but back in 82 not the physicality, and bryan robson,one of the best players in the world at that time, ran the show in the first game.

the best team was brazil who forgot about defending against italy's paulo rossi who was returning to the game after a long absence due to a betting scandal.. and uber goal poacher , who made jimmy greaves seem like arsenal's john jenson in front of goal.

should have been a semi final against w germany...and their 3 best players hansi muller ,
rummenigge and bernd forster of barcelona were fuked thru injury.

littbarski was still there and lothar mattheus was still a kid coming through.

i doubt we would have beaten the italians in the final, who were at their height of cynical , underhand thuggery and peerless in defence .

zoff, gentille (who had done a hatchet job on maradona in an earlier round, a film was made just on that battle between them), the master baresi, bergomi and cabrini all from milan and juventus were the best defence i have seen in my lifetime.

the italian league in the early eighties was the english premiership of today, but with defence an art form.

they had some skillful players in winger bruno conti( a waddle ) altobelli and tardelli.
europes best striker at that time roberto bettega of juve was injured but it was his replacement , paulo rossi's world cup...it was fate.

*Definition of a short arm ginger wnk....to be tossed off by labour mp and professional stumpy dwarf, hazel blears into the expectant gob of a great dane. (while she holds an outsized cheque in her other hand)
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:13]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

World cup logo on 15:18 - May 7 with 5215 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Christ, only room for one player from Villa, the previous European Cup Champions, and he was only a squad player.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

World cup logo on 15:20 - May 7 with 5210 viewspaulparker

World cup logo on 15:11 - May 7 by Discodroid

yep that
england 82 world cup team went home at the group stage without losing a single game.
we turned over a french team who made the semi final who were robbed of a win by the thuggish w german side.

we beat the french with possibly their best midfield ever...tigana, platini, alain giresse , rochteaux.

genghini and didier six couldnt make that midfield.

like you say we went out after a nil nil against the host team , with brooking and keegan playing on one leg.
if those two had have been fit (keegan missed a sitter after coming on as sub) we would have won comfortably against a shot home nation.

it would have been france again in the semi who we had already beasted in the earlier rounds.
they had amazing skill but back in 82 not the physicality, and bryan robson,one of the best players in the world at that time, ran the show in the first game.

the best team was brazil who forgot about defending against italy's paulo rossi who was returning to the game after a long absence due to a betting scandal.. and uber goal poacher , who made jimmy greaves seem like arsenal's john jenson in front of goal.

should have been a semi final against w germany...and their 3 best players hansi muller ,
rummenigge and bernd forster of barcelona were fuked thru injury.

littbarski was still there and lothar mattheus was still a kid coming through.

i doubt we would have beaten the italians in the final, who were at their height of cynical , underhand thuggery and peerless in defence .

zoff, gentille (who had done a hatchet job on maradona in an earlier round, a film was made just on that battle between them), the master baresi, bergomi and cabrini all from milan and juventus were the best defence i have seen in my lifetime.

the italian league in the early eighties was the english premiership of today, but with defence an art form.

they had some skillful players in winger bruno conti( a waddle ) altobelli and tardelli.
europes best striker at that time roberto bettega of juve was injured but it was his replacement , paulo rossi's world cup...it was fate.

*Definition of a short arm ginger wnk....to be tossed off by labour mp and professional stumpy dwarf, hazel blears into the expectant gob of a great dane. (while she holds an outsized cheque in her other hand)
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:13]

Agreed it was a great World Cup, Bulldog Bobby t-shirts, Admiral Kits etc
Brazil had a good team loved Socrates& falcao
hell even the jocks had a half decent squad, used to love the World cups when Northern Ireland qualified as well
honourable mentions to the World Cups in 86,90, 98 & 02
least said about 94, 06, and the last one , utter dog Shi t

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

World cup logo on 15:22 - May 7 with 5203 viewsBrianMcCarthy

'82 had the last great Brazil team, an' all.

World cup logo on 15:27 - May 7 with 5186 viewsDiscodroid

World cup logo on 15:20 - May 7 by paulparker

hell even the jocks had a half decent squad, used to love the World cups when Northern Ireland qualified as well

'86 was a cracker, emilo butragueno( in my top 3 strikers of all time), vasili rats of the soviet union..the danes had a side packed with world class but they got drubbed against spain i think.

i think there was an incredible goal by egypt??? where the bloke ran the lenght of the pitch.

imho the three world cups you mentioned were an abomination.

as regards villa...i think tony morely and gary shaw were injured..and dennis mortimer couldnt get in that midfield...
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:43]

World cup logo on 15:35 - May 7 with 5178 viewspaulparker

Gary Shaw was always crocked, jesus the talent pool we had in this country was awesome , still should have took clive allen ha ha

86 and joshima scoring from around 80 yards past poor old pat Jennings was also a highlight , Ray "super " Wilkins throwing a ball at the ref , your right about butregueno & Rats triffick players
also used to love Rumminiger & Hugo Sanchez
the danes had elijker (sp) & Laudrup , we had Kerry friggin Dixon as a back up striker, Shirley old Gary Bannister would have been better

World cup logo on 15:42 - May 7 with 5152 viewsDiscodroid

World cup logo on 15:22 - May 7 by BrianMcCarthy

'82 had the last great Brazil team, an' all.

they had a special prog on that team bri on sky , not so long ago.....what a team.
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:58]

World cup logo on 15:46 - May 7 with 5128 viewsDiscodroid

World cup logo on 15:35 - May 7 by paulparker

Gary Shaw was always crocked, jesus the talent pool we had in this country was awesome , still should have took clive allen ha ha

86 and joshima scoring from around 80 yards past poor old pat Jennings was also a highlight , Ray "super " Wilkins throwing a ball at the ref , your right about butregueno & Rats triffick players
also used to love Rumminiger & Hugo Sanchez
the danes had elijker (sp) & Laudrup , we had Kerry friggin Dixon as a back up striker, Shirley old Gary Bannister would have been better

if only regis had been fit...what would he be worth today!!!. that game against man utd when wba with batson, cunningham and regis done em 5-3 at old trafford ..cor!!! think they had peter barnes , gary owen and derek stathem who would have won 5o caps were it not for samson.

stainrod should have gone in 82..class, class and more class!
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:49]

World cup logo on 15:51 - May 7 with 5125 viewsAntti_Heinola

it's always interesting when you look at the team v Germany in 1990 too... We had the back 5 with a sweeper, but then the front 5 was:

Waddle Gazza Platt
Beardo
Lineker

Who needs a midfield destroyer?!

Bare bones.

World cup logo on 15:53 - May 7 with 5120 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World cup logo on 15:42 - May 7 by Discodroid

they had a special prog on that team bri on sky , not so long ago.....what a team.
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:58]

Other-worldly team, Disco!

I was only 12, and I knew they were other-worldly. The last Brasil team to have that... magic.

World cup logo on 15:55 - May 7 with 5119 viewspaulparker

World cup logo on 15:46 - May 7 by Discodroid

if only regis had been fit...what would he be worth today!!!. that game against man utd when wba with batson, cunningham and regis done em 5-3 at old trafford ..cor!!! think they had peter barnes , gary owen and derek stathem who would have won 5o caps were it not for samson.

stainrod should have gone in 82..class, class and more class!
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:49]

funny you say that about Regis, my old man used to rate him as a player and would always go on how the rangers should sign him,
then again he used to call mark falco a tart and say if we ever had Ron Atkinson as manager he would boycott going !??

good shout about stainrod very underrated in that era, Never rated Stathem and Barnes was another who my old man said was a tart with wispey hair

World cup logo on 16:06 - May 7 with 5098 viewsToast_R

The format was really rubbish back then, teams going out without losing a match? What a farce. And also the final group matches did not kick off simultaneously so teams could quite easily fix a result if it meant they both go through (see West Germany v Austria 1982).

Then in 86, 90 with 2 points for a win, you had teams going through to the knock out phase without winning a match like Rep of Ireland and Holland. Thankfully in 94 they increased the points to three for a win and in 1998, 32 teams qualified with groups where only the top two progressed.

The evolution of the World Cup is quite interesting really. I’m assuming the 2016 Euro’s will be pretty farcical again with the best third placed teams also progressing?
World cup logo on 16:10 - May 7 with 5082 viewsrobith

World cup logo on 16:06 - May 7 by Toast_R

The format was really rubbish back then, teams going out without losing a match? What a farce. And also the final group matches did not kick off simultaneously so teams could quite easily fix a result if it meant they both go through (see West Germany v Austria 1982).

Then in 86, 90 with 2 points for a win, you had teams going through to the knock out phase without winning a match like Rep of Ireland and Holland. Thankfully in 94 they increased the points to three for a win and in 1998, 32 teams qualified with groups where only the top two progressed.

The evolution of the World Cup is quite interesting really. I’m assuming the 2016 Euro’s will be pretty farcical again with the best third placed teams also progressing?

Same with the changes they're making to the rugby Heineken Cup. At the moment only the group winner and 2 best runners up go through, meaning almlost every group game is absolutely vital and has caused some thrilling finishes.

But now the English clubs have BT's backing they've blackmailed everyone into CL stuff dull all top 2 qualifying it.
World cup logo on 16:13 - May 7 with 5069 viewsAntti_Heinola

World cup logo on 16:06 - May 7 by Toast_R

NZ went out without losing a game in the last world cup ;)

Bare bones.

World cup logo on 17:46 - May 7 with 4965 viewswood_hoop

World cup logo on 15:20 - May 7 by paulparker

Sacralige, how can you omit 66 & 70, I know the use of a bath chair is prominent amongst those of us lucky enough to have witnessed these two tournaments but although the memory might just about manage to remember my own name most days, these were two of the finest tems ever to wear our national shirts.

66 nuff said, my absolute footballing heroes, every one of them.

70, in some ways a better team than 66, very very unlucky not to have got to the final, the best Brazil team ever, and we gave them more than a run for their money.

Going to slip back into my usual semi comatose state now I have got that off my chest.
World cup logo on 19:34 - May 7 with 4901 viewsNathanNI

World cup logo on 14:18 - May 7 by Discodroid

love a bit of retero..

Ah '82. When Northern Ireland were decent.
World cup logo on 19:45 - May 7 with 4882 viewsBklynRanger

World cup logo on 19:34 - May 7 by NathanNI

Ah '82. When Northern Ireland were decent.

Brilliant in '82, very decent in '86, launched into the cold vacuum of space since then.

The thing I like about that logo is a boozed-up impression of it can be done on the wife's head at any time during the World Cup, particularly goal celebrations for random teams.
World cup logo on 19:47 - May 7 with 4877 viewsMrSheen

World cup logo on 15:27 - May 7 by Discodroid

'86 was a cracker, emilo butragueno( in my top 3 strikers of all time), vasili rats of the soviet union..the danes had a side packed with world class but they got drubbed against spain i think.

i think there was an incredible goal by egypt??? where the bloke ran the lenght of the pitch.

imho the three world cups you mentioned were an abomination.

as regards villa...i think tony morely and gary shaw were injured..and dennis mortimer couldnt get in that midfield...
[Post edited 7 May 2014 15:43]

That Danish team spanked Uruguay 6-1 in the group, didn't they? 1-0 up on Spain going into half time and Jesper Olsen tried to dribble round Butragueno on the edge of his own box. Spain go in level and spank the Danes in the second half. Tragic. I loved Elkjaer, Laudrup, Morten Olsen, Lerby, Sivabaek, what a side!

People remember Rats but forget Belonov, who scored some belting 30 yarders as well. They had so much talent in that side, but obviously weren't that bothered about the shirt. Chuck in England's unexpected revival due to Beardsley and Lineker, Maradona, a decent Belgian side (Scifo, Ceulemans, Gerets), and fading French and Brazilian sides still giving us a a cracking quarter final - which sadly wiped out the French for the semis - and it was a brilliant tournament, made all the better for me that I had just completed my final exams and was able to stay up pissed for every game.
World cup logo on 20:44 - May 7 with 4819 viewsPommyhoop

Your aving a laugh Disco. Italia 90 pisses over Spain 82.

D.O.B. CLUB WC
1 GK Peter Shilton 18 Sep 1949 Derby County 1982,86
2 DF Gary Stevens 27 Mar 1963 Glasgow Rangers (SCO) 1986
3 DF Stuart Pearce 24 Apr 1962 Nottingham Forest
4 MD Neil Webb 30 Jul 1963 Manchester United
5 DF Des Walker 26 Nov 1965 Nottingham Forest
6 DF Terry Butcher 28 Dec 1958 Glasgow Rangers (SCO) 1982,86
7 MD Bryan Robson 11 Jan 1957 Manchester United 1982,86
8 MD Chris Waddle 14 Dec 1960 Olympique Marseille (FRA) 1986
9 FW Peter Beardsley 18 Jan 1961 Liverpool 1986
10 FW Gary Lineker 30 Nov 1960 Tottenham Hotspur 1986
11 FW John Barnes 07 Nov 1963 Liverpool 1986
12 DF Paul Parker 04 Apr 1964 Queens Park Rangers
13 GK Chris Woods 14 Nov 1959 Glasgow Rangers (SCO) 1986
14 DF Mark Wright 01 Aug 1963 Derby County
15 DF Tony Dorigo 31 Dec 1965 Chelsea
16 MD Steve McMahon 20 Aug 1961 Liverpool
17 FW David Platt 10 Jun 1966 Aston Villa
18 MD Steve Hodge 25 Oct 1962 Nottingham Forest 1986
19 MD Paul Gascoigne 27 May 1967 Tottenham Hotspur
20 MD Trevor Steven 21 Sep 1963 Glasgow Rangers (SCO) 1986
21 FW Steve Bull 28 Mar 1965 Wolverhampton Wanderers
22 GK David Seaman * 19 Sep 1963 Arsenal
New 22 GK Dave Beasant 20 Mar 1959 Chelsea

That song still makes me swallow one back. Gazza ,our own Paul Parker ,that Platt goal.
Semi Final heartache .Beatings from the iT old bill .It had it all.
VIVA Italia 90 .The best since 66.

An awful addition to this board

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024