Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Football bubble finally on the edge 15:27 - Jul 27 with 1441 viewsTGRRRSSS

With FFP coming in and the bigger clubs using it as a way to seal the shop at the top end of football, this means people wont be able to muscle in and deals like the eye watering one Man Unite have got recently from Nike will mean surely they along with 3/3 otherss will basically create a total monopoly and the only real battle will be at the bottom end of the table as once big clubs like Spurs, Everton etc sit comfortably taking the money they can to self fund, whilst others further down the chain (including maybe QPR) hover between PL and Champ we hope.
However if lets say for the sake of argument Man U and their voracious money making marketing machine are able to win lets say the next 5 PLs in a row as Man City are hamstrubg further by the FFP along with others.
Wages become less eye watering BUT the biggest will still afford the best even if it comes back down to sums of say £50K P/W at lets say Man United but City who bring in much less can only pay max of say 35k p/W, if United and a few others started to dominate so you only have in the whole of Europe about 4 clubs who can realistically challnge and 2 in PL (more or less been the case actually for nigh on 20 years anyway since Fergies first title.
Will people start looking at alternatives, would they sit there watching United strol to 5,6,7 nil thumpings week in week out, or could we see see a situation like is current in say Scotland where only 2 sides have won the League in decades now (Aberdeen early 80s).
Sky showed little interest in putting Scots football on and when they did I dont think they offered that much and it was the only real offer in town, as presumably broadcasters and advertisers simply wont cough up to watch Celtic as it currently is stroll through the motions wining comfortably stroll to another title which in but realit is in the bag by Christmas.
I always think things have a certain life span and for years we have all wondered how football keeps going as it does but looking at the sale at Soton to the top of the tree and Pardews comments about if you do well but dont get in CL you will lose the key men which has happened at Newcastle as they become a buy it cheap sell it expensive as you can machine to balance the books, likewise at Saints where they will have to do a lot this year after the firesale more or less albeit it for big sums.
I know the thirst is still there for football but honestly how long can it keep getting bigger and bigger deals?
Even Sky have other irons in the fire and claim football isn't the sole deal to get people to buy boxes these days, also with BT joining the fray and forcing people to part with ever more cash too keep watching football albeit it in straightened times which currently they still are, what will it take for the bubble to finally burst?
I genuinely dont know but am curious as to how it might happen.
The Football bubble finally on the edge on 19:09 - Jul 27 with 1309 viewsTacticalR

As a footnote to all that bad stuff...

Not only do the top clubs want to suck all the talent out of other clubs, they also want to use those other clubs as a dumping ground for their troublesome, failed or burnt-out players.

Air hostess clique

The Football bubble finally on the edge on 19:26 - Jul 27 with 1268 viewsessextaxiboy

The day the pyramid goes and the big clubs pull up the drawbridge will be it for me .

I love the Rangers and like to think that I will always go but watching exhibition matches would bore me rigid .
The Football bubble finally on the edge on 21:06 - Jul 27 with 1187 viewstooting_hoop

Good post.

I think that there is an inevitable direction / destination for football which will be reached before any overall financial implosion. But that's not to say that many clubs won't go the wall over this transition...

Looking through my crystal ball I believe that a European league will be formed, hopefully, for the future of football, with relegation and promotion. So 4 or 5 English clubs will get to play in the Euro league full time.

If a team finished in the bottom 3 or whatever in the Euro league then they will be replaced with the highest placed team from their home country.

In the UK (whatever the outcome of the Scottish independence referendum) we will form. A Bristish league and the Scotish teams will find their natural position amongst the English, Welsh, and Irish clubs.

In other words, it is inevitable that the game will get bigger before it contracts. the top teams will be removed from domestic league competition allowing them to do what they really want to do, play in Europe against he top teams. This will allow room for a true national competition to emerge in each country that has a genuinely unforseeable outcome / champion.

The vast majority of league clubs in every European country will miss the absence of the mega teams, but will be invigorated by a more realistic competition, yet still have the dream of making it big through accessing the mega league.

I'd be happy with this to be honest.

Interested in your views.

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

The Football bubble finally on the edge on 21:58 - Jul 27 with 1105 viewsHooparoo

The Football bubble finally on the edge on 21:06 - Jul 27 by tooting_hoop

Good post.

I think that there is an inevitable direction / destination for football which will be reached before any overall financial implosion. But that's not to say that many clubs won't go the wall over this transition...

Looking through my crystal ball I believe that a European league will be formed, hopefully, for the future of football, with relegation and promotion. So 4 or 5 English clubs will get to play in the Euro league full time.

If a team finished in the bottom 3 or whatever in the Euro league then they will be replaced with the highest placed team from their home country.

In the UK (whatever the outcome of the Scottish independence referendum) we will form. A Bristish league and the Scotish teams will find their natural position amongst the English, Welsh, and Irish clubs.

In other words, it is inevitable that the game will get bigger before it contracts. the top teams will be removed from domestic league competition allowing them to do what they really want to do, play in Europe against he top teams. This will allow room for a true national competition to emerge in each country that has a genuinely unforseeable outcome / champion.

The vast majority of league clubs in every European country will miss the absence of the mega teams, but will be invigorated by a more realistic competition, yet still have the dream of making it big through accessing the mega league.

I'd be happy with this to be honest.

Interested in your views.

Good post. I'm constantly surprised that more clubs haven't folded already.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

The Football bubble finally on the edge on 23:02 - Jul 27 with 1053 viewswood_hoop

The Football bubble finally on the edge on 21:58 - Jul 27 by Hooparoo

Good post. I'm constantly surprised that more clubs haven't folded already.

Bubble may burst in time but Euro League ? CL is bad enough in the run up to the knockout stage as it is, more chance of a smaller Prem and other leagues around Europe following suit, less domestic games to play will increase time for CL to maybe play two league type rounds before knockout stages kick in, not so sure the Prem would be so keen on this as their league seems to be the one with the biggest audience outside the UK.

Prem has quite a few big 'derby' type matches, plus those that have a historical rilvary, these matches I assume attract a big interest around the globe, especially as plenty of English clubs seem to have support spread far & wide, probably only a handful of others in Europe can match the wide fan base the top teams in the Prem seem to attract, a smaller Prem means they can play each other 4 times a season, even more chance of increasing reveues across the board and for the clubs.

Can definitly see the proffesional game changing in how the lower leaguse are set up, 3rd and even 2nd division many of the clubs having many more part time players, many struggle to cover the costs of being full time now, and the Prem is hardly known for increasing its largesse and passing down funds to the lower leagues, no matterhowmany more millions rake in.

Bubble burst at the lower end highley likely in a fairly short space of time, the Prem has enough financial clout to resist the forming of a Euro League with some vigour, the cost to the fans travelling around Europe also comes into the equation, maybe that is a factor that would not be that big an issue for a Euro League and home based fans only filling 90 odd % of the stadium means the tv packages could then also get a higher price as still a lot cheaper than travelling and the time off work iyt involves.

Many changes to our sport over the years, think a Euro League would be the death knell for football at a commercial level in a lot of countries and somehow cannot see FIFA as well as the Prem allowing it to happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024